Trying to decide....help me please!

rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
OK I'm still debating on getting some Terresentials. I'd LOVE to do a detox.....if I thought I could get some semblance of soft hair afterwards. Keep in mind a few things about me. 1. I'm a hairstylist, and a manager to boot. Looking the part, at least at the salon I manage, is a big deal. Not that I have to look like I came out of a magazine, but I have to look put together. 2. I have past color on my hair. I had planned on using my AO condishes with it, since I figured out that as long as I am washing daily with a low poo or soap based something that I can use them daily and they won't weigh me down or anything like that. But then on the other thread rainshower said she used to use terresentials and asked them about other condishes and they said no basically. So now I have NO idea.

Right now I'm using my CV soaps, ACV rinses, AO condishes, and natural things for stylers like shea butters etc. Today was my first day using my Extra honey beer bar. I did like it, but my hair was a little wonky from detoxing from the bars. I'm wondering if maybe the bars will be enough. I lathered three times in my hands and on the third finally got a really good lather. It was rich and creamy! And when I rinsed my hair felt dry. But I did an ACV rinse and topped it with AOHR condish and put in my MHC type 2 (that I plan on using up) and topped it with whipped cocoa butter mixed with a little whipped shea butter. My hair had lots of volume and some decent wave to it, and it didn't fall terribly by the end of the day. I did have frizz though. It has been all day and now it feels ok, other than a little dry on the ends. Nothing a little shea or cocoa butter or something couldn't take care of.

Any thoughts? Detox Divas? Natural lovers? Help? LOL!:blob7:
Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Low poo: looking
COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
RO: varies
Protein: CJCF or CJRM
DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
LI: varies, usually KCKT
Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    Well, all I can give you is my opinion based on how my hair reacted. But we do have some things in common, like the fact that both of us have color in our hair and that both of us have to look put together for the public....

So, although I love my CV bars, I have to say that the Terressentials clay wash really is very different. My hair is behaving much better than it used to and I get better volume and curl. You don't need to be on vacation or have a month of free time to do the detox. You could easily start it on a weekend (or whenever you have a couple days off) so you can figure out how your hair is going to react. If you can do a mask for the two days as well as the extra washes, you should be well on your way to getting your hair "detoxed."

I used only the cocoa butter oil, but I think we all agreed that flax seed gel would be fine with the detox too.

The more I am playing around with the MHC products and the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], I really think aloe vera gel under the FSG is all my hair needs if I am using the clay wash. My hair just curls better, is softer and bouncier and I get second day hair....really, I don't see the downside.

But ask any questions or voice any concerns that you have about the Terressentials....we can try to answer them
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Thanks Pigreyhound. I actually have two days off in a row (an oddity for me) next week.....maybe I could do it then.

How is the CV bars different from the terresentials in your opinion? I have all kinds of oils/butters etc to use in that capacity. Oh and what AVG do you use under it? I have whipped shea, whipped cocoa butter, regular sheas etc, but I also have avg of several types that I could use.

I think though, that I've decided to go on and do it. I reread the entire thread and it seems like y'all get moisture plenty from it.....so maybe there's hope for my hair too. I'll let you know what I get. I don't mind about the flyaways, etc, for me, but I know if I have it too much my boss would say something. Not that I see her that often, maybe once every two weeks or so. But still. sigh.....

Anything anyone else can say for encouragement too is appreciated.....:nike:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    I'm on day 6 of the detox and my hair never looked bad...you don't need to hide out at all. I've been CG for years and didn't use a lot of styling products anyway so I might not be the best example but the clay wash worked great and left my hair soft with lots of volume and good curl...just little clumping. I've stuck to just using the oil they recommend or the Curls Pudding stuff (all natural) until today and that helped create a little definition. My hair is graying so I have mostly very fine hair with some silvery, coarser hairs sticking out here and there. This system actually seemed to soften those up and blend them better than usual.

I think you misunderstood the post about the conditioner with the clay wash. She said that they don't make any traditional conditioners because they feel that conditioner requires non-organic ingredients which they are unwilling to use. Terressentials is very strict about their ingredients. They do suggest shea butter and other organic oils and butters as stylers and moisturizers which seem to work fine and I'm not finding I need another "conditioner". I don't think they told her she couldn't use a rinse out or leave in conditioner with the washes...just that they don't make one. Of course, you'd want to stick with relatively natural conditioners but your definition of natural might be a bit broader than theirs.

I'd say the Terressentials washes are definitely worth a try.

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
    Thanks Michelle.....I bit the bullet and ordered. I still have my AO, which IMO is as natural a conditioner as I have found, but I'm going to try it without it first. Thanks for the input!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rymorg2 wrote: »

How is the CV bars different from the terresentials in your opinion? I have all kinds of oils/butters etc to use in that capacity. Oh and what AVG do you use under it? I have whipped shea, whipped cocoa butter, regular sheas etc, but I also have avg of several types that I could use.

I typically use my CV bars if I feel my hair is weighted down and need a pre-wash before the clay wash. The clay wash is heavier and its thickness makes it a bit difficult to distribute evenly at first. Or at least, I had some trouble with it. When I started, my hair felt thicker and a bit more tangled and that was probably the hardest thing for me to get used to. I am used to the goal of "seaweed" with lots of conditioner to rake my hands through my hair, but it didn't happen with the clay wash. It is much better now.
    I would avoid using anything but the cocoa butter oil after the clay washes. I put the oil in very wet hair and scrunched and raked it in. Then the FSG.

I think your hair will be fine and you won't find it a problem at work. It is just figuring out what works for it in the detox. My hair really changed its habits, so I had to kind of relearn some of my routine.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

I typically use my CV bars if I feel my hair is weighted down and need a pre-wash before the clay wash. The clay wash is heavier and its thickness makes it a bit difficult to distribute evenly at first. Or at least, I had some trouble with it. When I started, my hair felt thicker and a bit more tangled and that was probably the hardest thing for me to get used to. I am used to the goal of "seaweed" with lots of conditioner to rake my hands through my hair, but it didn't happen with the clay wash. It is much better now.
    I would avoid using anything but the cocoa butter oil after the clay washes. I put the oil in very wet hair and scrunched and raked it in. Then the FSG.

I think your hair will be fine and you won't find it a problem at work. It is just figuring out what works for it in the detox. My hair really changed its habits, so I had to kind of relearn some of my routine.

Thanks pigreyhound.....that makes sense. :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 606Registered Users
    The clay wash is heavier and its thickness makes it a bit difficult to distribute evenly at first. Or at least, I had some trouble with it. When I started, my hair felt thicker and a bit more tangled and that was probably the hardest thing for me to get used to. I am used to the goal of "seaweed" with lots of conditioner to rake my hands through my hair, but it didn't happen with the clay wash. It is much better now.

One note on the thickness and distributing...I recently finished my first bottle of the lavender wash. I couldn't get any more to come out, but there was a lot stuck to the sides of the bottle so I added a little water and shook it up. The consisitency of what came out was just slightly thinner than the non-diluted clay, but it was much easier to distribute. I was surprised how many washes I got out of the "end" of that bottle (during the same shower).

I think adding some clay wash to a smaller bottle, diluting with a little water and shaking would not only help it distribute more easily, but also make the product last longer. Just a thought...

And regarding the slip - I don't get it when the clay is in my hair, but it sure is there once I rinse it out.
    2B ~ Lovin' it short again!
    Aloe 80 Shampoo & Conditioner, Shea Butter & Aveda Control Paste
    Fotki PW: swirlygirl
    Updated 7/13/08

• memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    I do the same thing with any kind of thickish product....it always amazes me how long I can use an "empty" bottle of product.

I also agree about the slip....I thought it was going to be disastered the first time I used the clay wash because it felt so not slippery in my hair but I can easily comb through my hair in the shower and there's plenty of slip when it's rinsed out.

M
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
    swirlygirl wrote: »
    One note on the thickness and distributing...I recently finished my first bottle of the lavender wash. I couldn't get any more to come out, but there was a lot stuck to the sides of the bottle so I added a little water and shook it up. The consisitency of what came out was just slightly thinner than the non-diluted clay, but it was much easier to distribute. I was surprised how many washes I got out of the "end" of that bottle (during the same shower).

I think adding some clay wash to a smaller bottle, diluting with a little water and shaking would not only help it distribute more easily, but also make the product last longer. Just a thought...

And regarding the slip - I don't get it when the clay is in my hair, but it sure is there once I rinse it out.

That was my plan already. They said on the TE Site not to add water to the bottle (but I'm sure at the end like that it's ok) itself so I already had my squirt applicator bottle to use. Thanks for the tips!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    See, and I think this is so interesting because I get very little slip once I rinse. But my hair is heavily highlighted, so maybe that is the difference.
    Or maybe I am just weird.:flower:
    CG since '08.

• swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 606Registered Users

That was my plan already. They said on the TE Site not to add water to the bottle (but I'm sure at the end like that it's ok) itself so I already had my squirt applicator bottle to use. Thanks for the tips!

Maybe it's being in the biz, or maybe you're just smarter than I am ;-), but I'd never thought of that before. I just kept thinking how difficult it would be to add water to product in my hands (since they said not to add to the bottle). It wasn't until I did it to get the end of the wash out that I thought of using a second or smaller bottle on a regular basis. It had a really nice smooth consistency when it was diluted just a little bit.

Honestly, I could have gotten at least another day's wash out of the bottle, but didn't want to let it sit after I'd added water since they specifically said not to. I guess one day might not have been a problem.
    2B ~ Lovin' it short again!
    Aloe 80 Shampoo & Conditioner, Shea Butter & Aveda Control Paste
    Fotki PW: swirlygirl
    Updated 7/13/08

See, and I think this is so interesting because I get very little slip once I rinse. But my hair is heavily highlighted, so maybe that is the difference.
    Or maybe I am just weird.:flower:

ROFLMBO!!! I'm wondering how much slip I'll get, especially in the beginning. I'll be using my denman brush a lot I think. We'll see.....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Maybe it's being in the biz, or maybe you're just smarter than I am ;-), but I'd never thought of that before. I just kept thinking how difficult it would be to add water to product in my hands (since they said not to add to the bottle). It wasn't until I did it to get the end of the wash out that I thought of using a second or smaller bottle on a regular basis. It had a really nice smooth consistency when it was diluted just a little bit.

Honestly, I could have gotten at least another day's wash out of the bottle, but didn't want to let it sit after I'd added water since they specifically said not to. I guess one day might not have been a problem.

GOOD LORD, No, that's not where it came from, it came from a long haired board I frequent that talked about diluting shampoos!!!! ROFLMBO, that's where I got that idea! I'm glad it's got a good consistancy that way, though I'm sure it will take some experimenting.

LOL, I bet one day wouldn't have mattered either, but if it had been me I'd have done the same thing! I'm so anal about that kind of thing.....

eta that I have learned a TON about hair and its care from that board and this one that I'd NEVER have found otherwise. My teachers (and my boss for that matter) would FREAK if they knew what I do now! Or what I've contemplated doing!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file