Salons in south NJ

bettinflabettinfla Posts: 389Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I posted this in the general discussion and then saw this forum so I am re-posting here.

Has anyone had experience with curly hair stylists in the South Jersey area. I have looked on the site and most of the reviews are a year old. I hesitate to call these salons, as perhaps stylist is gone. All help would be appreciated if you have a favorite or could recommend a great place. I am in the Cherry Hill/Marlton area. Thx
Homemade FSG, CK, KCCC and BRHG. Co wash w/Suave, or soap bars (occasionally) or Come Clean (Kinky Curly).

Comments

• maryeismaryeis Posts: 44Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    How about trying The Cut in Pennsauken? It's on Maple Ave. The owner, Alexis, is Deva trained and reasonably priced. Call 856-662-3960. I have been there a few times and have been pleased; BTW I am 3A. Good luck and LMK how you like it if you go!
    Mary
    3A,fine texture,medium thickness,below shoulder length for the 1st time in 30 yrs! colored dark blonde to hide gray.
  • bettinflabettinfla Posts: 389Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'll try that one!!!! I saw her salon listed but the reviews seem old, so I wanted to be sure she was still good.
    Homemade FSG, CK, KCCC and BRHG. Co wash w/Suave, or soap bars (occasionally) or Come Clean (Kinky Curly).
  • leenerleener Posts: 9Registered Users
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new here and also just moved into Ocean County. I had a great stylist in north Jersey but it's a bit of a hike for me now and looking for someone closer.

Thanks!
  • New2NoPooNew2NoPoo Posts: 13Registered Users
    I'm new to this site and am on day 2 of CG. I know I need to get my hair cut and I was just curious if you went to this salon? how did it go? Or if anyone has anymore recommendations for salons in south jersey I live in Camden County.
    Currently using
    CoWash: Suave Naturals coconut
    Leave In/Rinse:GN triple nutrition
    Style:Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Mousse, thinking about trying gel...
  • YeliAngelYeliAngel Posts: 9Registered Users
    Hey, I live in south jersey too.
    in cherry hill there is a salon called "hot heads" and that's where I go. They specialize in curly hair because ALL of the hairdressers there have it!
  • SujiSuji Posts: 87Registered Users
    Another curly in SJ here :) My last cut was in a salon in Haddonfield, called "Personal Expressions Hair Studio". The owner is fully deva-trained and ceritifed. She knows everything to know about curly hair, often goes to NYC for deva-related things. You could try her salon out, it's listed on under this website's salons, with 2 or 3 reviews I believe. She gave me a pretty good cut for $50.

http://www.personalexpressionshair.com/
    -2b/2cFi-ii, med pososity?.
    no silicones/sulfates, but lowpoo 1x week (GTTT)
    GVP CB or LVP Glossy Volume; Curl Junkie Smoothing Gellie, AG Re:Coil, HE Mousse.
    still on a mission to find my hg combo.. :)
  • New2NoPooNew2NoPoo Posts: 13Registered Users
    I did see that salon listed but wasnt sure if it would be really pricey. $50 isnt bad at all. Was that your first time going? Did you go in with your hair curly? did they cut it dry?
    Currently using
    CoWash: Suave Naturals coconut
    Leave In/Rinse:GN triple nutrition
    Style:Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Mousse, thinking about trying gel...
  • SujiSuji Posts: 87Registered Users
    New2NoPoo wrote: »
    I did see that salon listed but wasnt sure if it would be really pricey. $50 isnt bad at all. Was that your first time going? Did you go in with your hair curly? did they cut it dry?

Haha, yes, compared to the prices I read on these boards, it isn't too bad! Especially since I have almost-waist length hair. Yes, it was my first time going. When I called to make my appointment, she told me to come in with my hair clean (no product), dry, and curly. She cut it dry first and then shampoo'd me (with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Devacurl No-Poo[/buylink]..she uses the Deva line on her curlies). Throughtout my time there she told me how to care for my hair the CG way. I knew everything she told me, but it definetly showed she knows curly hair. I don't think anything she said in terms of hair-care tips was wrong, in fact, and she told me basically everything. I'd reccomend her if you want a Deva cut in SJ. :)
    -2b/2cFi-ii, med pososity?.
    no silicones/sulfates, but lowpoo 1x week (GTTT)
    GVP CB or LVP Glossy Volume; Curl Junkie Smoothing Gellie, AG Re:Coil, HE Mousse.
    still on a mission to find my hg combo.. :)
  • sacolman27sacolman27 Posts: 9Registered Users
    I just moved from Medford, NJ. I found J.Leigh at Salon Santa Fe in Cinnaminson, NJ. She is wonderful! I'm not sure if she has training, but she has curly hair herself, so she understands:)
    3a-ish/thick hair to my shoulders
    EMBC, Kinky curly Knot Today, Batia and Aleeza mineral gel
  • Victoria RegiaVictoria Regia Posts: 9Registered Users
    I live in SJ too and, if it wasn't for this site, I would have never been able to find a decent salon for curlies this my area. Love you all!
  • HannahsMomHannahsMom Posts: 39Registered Users
    Thank you all so much for these SJ salon ideas! My daughter is 11yo and we are both clueless on what to do with her crazy (but beautiful) hair. It seems to get curlier everyday!

I brought her to see MaryAnn at Personal Expressions a few weeks ago and she was absolutely wonderful with her! I just posted a review over on the Salon Reviews section of the site. Also, the pic in my profile is of her hair right after her trip to Personal Expressions. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file