All Natural Frizz Fighters for Summer

scarriecarriescarriecarrie Posts: 382Registered Users
Is there such a thing as an all natural frizz fighter? I have tried the homemade flaxseed gel and I still have frizz. I have been using CK & Set It Free, but if I could find something all natural, I would sooner use that.
Mostly 3A/Some 3B Thick/Dry/Colored/SL
Loving natural products. Some of my favorites are:
MHC Scalp Cleanser, Donna Marie Miracurl Gelly, Robert Craig Conditionerloveshower.gif

Comments

• misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Is there such a thing as an all natural frizz fighter? I have tried the homemade flaxseed gel and I still have frizz. I have been using CK & Set It Free, but if I could find something all natural, I would sooner use that.

Hi. :) A few of us have had good results with pure shea butter. Depending on my mood, I either apply a small amount of shea to wet hair prior to flaxseed gel, or after my hair is dry I scrunch the crunch with the shea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    When I can get [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] to work for me (and I am getting better at it, so I am crossing my fingers...) I get very little frizz.

The other thing that has worked for me is aloe vera gel in soaking wet hair, then flax gel on top of that....scrunch, scrunch, scrunch....then once I am dry, a bit of shea butter on the ends.

I was a huge advocate of Set It Free and Set It Up. Still love the scents. But honestly, I find I can get pretty good frizz taming from the shea butter.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
    What brand of aloe vera gel are you using pigreyhound?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I think I have Fruit of the Earth in the shower and a small tube of Lily of the Desert in my purse.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

• misfitcurlsmisfitcurls Posts: 736Registered Users Curl Novice
    i have had great luck with honey! here is the thread i just put up yesterday!
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=52022&highlight=thanks+honey+help
    HENNA HEAD
    3B just past BSL in back (when curly)
    CG since 3/08
    HG's:biolage condtioning balm and kpak (both the generic value versions)
    overnight plop with a flour sack the strutt way
    honey after leave-in
    satin sleep cap & shea butter for day 2 hair
    USING:KCKT&KCCC(its my HG :))
    ALSO LOVE:jessicurl aloeba leave-in, rr, ccss
    http://public.fotki.com/misfitcurls/
    by: Riot Crrl!
    I think you could walk around with words and stick people drawn on your face and still look supercute.
    misfitcurls, I'm sure you've heard this before, but you have beautiful hair! :) How exactly do you apply it to your hair, do you rake or scrunch? And how much do you use? I wonder what it is about honey that fights frizz?

Thoughts?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scarriecarriescarriecarrie Posts: 382Registered Users
    [quote=misspam;663727
    Hi. :) A few of us have had good results with pure shea butter. Depending on my mood, I either apply a small amount of shea to wet hair prior to flaxseed gel, or after my hair is dry I scrunch the crunch with the shea.[/quote]
    The other thing that has worked for me is aloe vera gel in soaking wet hair, then flax gel on top of that....scrunch, scrunch, scrunch....then once I am dry, a bit of shea butter on the ends.

I was a huge advocate of Set It Free and Set It Up. Still love the scents. But honestly, I find I can get pretty good frizz taming from the shea butter.

I will have to try pure shea butter. I use SheaM sometimes, but I have never tried pure, unrefined shea butter. BTW where do you both get your unrefined shea butter?
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=52022&highlight=thanks+honey+help

I find honey seems to fade my colored hair. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I not using the honey properly?
    MHC Scalp Cleanser, Donna Marie Miracurl Gelly, Robert Craig Conditionerloveshower.gif
  • misfitcurlsmisfitcurls Posts: 736Registered Users Curl Novice
    i rake my conditioners and leave in and scrunch my stylers
    i am still experimenting with the honey so haven't found the "right " amount just yet.

hth
    HENNA HEAD
    3B just past BSL in back (when curly)
    CG since 3/08
    HG's:biolage condtioning balm and kpak (both the generic value versions)
    overnight plop with a flour sack the strutt way
    honey after leave-in
    satin sleep cap & shea butter for day 2 hair
    USING:KCKT&KCCC(its my HG :))
    ALSO LOVE:jessicurl aloeba leave-in, rr, ccss
    http://public.fotki.com/misfitcurls/
    by: Riot Crrl!
    I think you could walk around with words and stick people drawn on your face and still look supercute.
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Aloe just doesn't work for me alone, no matter how much I try. I get dry, frizzier hair. But I love using just a touch of camellia or coconut oil either as a leave-in or finisher on dry hair to tame frizzies. Recently, pure, unrefined organic EAST African Shea butter has moved to the top of my list. I just received great quality shea at a very reasonable price from a good Ebayer. The E African shea butter is soft with very little or no smell, really. It melts in hands immediately and just performs really well. Also, E African is supposed to work better on skin issues than W African, although both are wonderful. My goal is to make a leave-in/styling cream to control/tame frizz from unrefined shea, cocoa butter, coconut oil(just a tad), camellia oil & yes, a small amount of 100% liquid aloe vera which will hopefully play nice when I whip it with other ingredients. I also may add lavender or rosemary EO, and vit E to preserve. I actually have all my ingredients, but have been too busy to determine proportions & throw it all together.
    I have two types of shea butter, raw butter that I get from Nasabb online, and whipped shea butter that I get from Chagrin Valley online.

I am very interested to hear how your leave-in recipe works out! It sounds great.
    CG since '08.

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Yeah I'd be interested to hear how it turns out too!

I don't have E. African butter but I had thought about getting some. I do have unrefined W African shea though, as well as a shea butter mix I bought online for hair that only has organic shea, organic oils of lavendar, bergamot, and rosemary, ground rosemary leaves, and vit. e in it. Then I have my whipped shea from CV too. And I'm getting a shea butter from Terresentials as well! I LOVE Shea butter. I have coconut oil but have yet to try it since the last time I tried coconut oil in my hair it was a cheapo kind and I broke out in hives all over my body! But now I have organic spectrum coconut oil. So I will try it sometime soon. :D
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Aloe just doesn't work for me alone, no matter how much I try. I get dry, frizzier hair. But I love using just a touch of camellia or coconut oil either as a leave-in or finisher on dry hair to tame frizzies. Recently, pure, unrefined organic EAST African Shea butter has moved to the top of my list. I just received great quality shea at a very reasonable price from a good Ebayer. The E African shea butter is soft with very little or no smell, really. It melts in hands immediately and just performs really well. Also, E African is supposed to work better on skin issues than W African, although both are wonderful. My goal is to make a leave-in/styling cream to control/tame frizz from unrefined shea, cocoa butter, coconut oil(just a tad), camellia oil & yes, a small amount of 100% liquid aloe vera which will hopefully play nice when I whip it with other ingredients. I also may add lavender or rosemary EO, and vit E to preserve. I actually have all my ingredients, but have been too busy to determine proportions & throw it all together.

I really only noticed one ebayer selling the the East African Shea Butter-- Beauty by Nature Skin Care, would that be the one?
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    That's the one, kathymack. I got this : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200204313323&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

They never responded to a communication I sent so I was getting worried, but they did note that they are moving facilities which would delay emails, possibly shipping. It took about a week to receive, and they enclosed a small sample of the shea lotion...I still don't like my questions to be ignored, but, although I'm surely no expert, I think the shea is some mighty fine stuff. I even have been using it on my tempermental face!
    My goal is to make a leave-in/styling cream to control/tame frizz from unrefined shea, cocoa butter, coconut oil(just a tad), camellia oil & yes, a small amount of 100% liquid aloe vera which will hopefully play nice when I whip it with other ingredients. I also may add lavender or rosemary EO, and vit E to preserve. I actually have all my ingredients, but have been too busy to determine proportions & throw it all together.

Your recipe sounds like something many of us would be very interested in trying! Please let us know if and when you would need some willing product testers to help you in your research. :flower:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's the one, kathymack. I got this : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200204313323&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

They never responded to a communication I sent so I was getting worried, but they did note that they are moving facilities which would delay emails, possibly shipping. It took about a week to receive, and they enclosed a small sample of the shea lotion...I still don't like my questions to be ignored, but, although I'm surely no expert, I think the shea is some mighty fine stuff. I even have been using it on my tempermental face!

Thanks, I bought that 8 oz one because you liked it so much. I've never bought shea butter, so we'll see. Seems to have other uses besides hair.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »
    Thanks, I bought that 8 oz one because you liked it so much. I've never bought shea butter, so we'll see. Seems to have other uses besides hair.

OHHHH Kathymack.....I love love love all things shea! I'm in love with it I think. Hope you like it!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've also been experimenting with shea butter for frizz control and am getting good results. I apply it like a leave in to wet hair and scrunch it in really well before I apply my styler. Just a tiny amount is enough.
    For some reason though my hair seems to feel a bit "stiff" when I use shea butter. Don't know how to describe it but maybe the shea butter solidifies once my hair dries and that's why it feels stiff.

Scarriecarrie, in response to your question about honey and hair color. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that honey can lighten hair.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
    I know I've read that honey lightens hair scarriecarrie.

I decided to order some of that east african shea from that ebayer. I'm anxious to compare the east african to the west african I already have.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    You all are hard on my budget....and I thought going all natural would reduce the temptation but that East African Shea Butter sounded too good to miss and I can always use it on my hands and feet if my hair doesn't love it.

M
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • scarriecarriescarriecarrie Posts: 382Registered Users
    Magoo wrote: »
    Scarriecarrie, in response to your question about honey and hair color. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that honey can lighten hair.
    rymorg2 wrote: »
    I know I've read that honey lightens hair scarriecarrie.

I color my dark brown (& grey) hair, with a shade of red. Red is the fastest fading color anyway, so I guess honey is totally out for me. I am going to try shea butter, though. Thank you for all the recommendations. You guys are great!!!!
    Honey is used as a natural, gradual way to lighten hair since it basically turns into a form of peroxide, I believe.

And as for the types of shea-here's 2 sites' explanations, but others agree for the most part...

From Treasured Locks:
    There is some confusion as to which shea butter is better, West African (Vitellaria Paradoxa) or East African (Vitellaria Nilotica). East African Shea Butter is different from that of the West African varieties in that it is higher in olein (the liquid part of the Shea Butter). Because of this, East African Shea Butter is softer and more fragrant than West African Shea Butter. The product is highly valued and gives Ugandan women farmers over five times the amount received by their West African counterparts. East African or Ugandan Shea Butter has a higher absorption rate due to lower saturated fatty acids. East African Shea Butter has less vitamin A and less sterols. For a natural vitamin A cream or to use for prevention of stretch marks, you might want to use West African Shea Butter. However, if you are looking for natural, intense moisturize, East African Shea Butter is the way to go.

East African or Ugandan Shea Butter is more rare than West African Shea Butter and is extremely difficult to find. When you do find it, it is selling up to the equivalent of $40 per two ounce jar on some websites.

From Shea Terra Organics:
    Which shea butter to buy narrows down more to personal preferance and lifestyle requirements. West African shea butter is thought to have more healing properites than the East. We have many customers with eczema or psoriasis who find significant help for their conditions when they use therapeutic West African shea butter. But customers have commented that the softer East African shea butter works wonders on diaper rashes. Not only does it help the skin to heal, but it is much more gentle to apply to delicate skins than the firmer West African variety. We have had some cocern from elderly individuals that the West African shea butter is too hard to spread on their fragile skin, another bonus point for spreadable East African shea butter. If your days are hectic and you have little time to pamper your skin you may also choose East African shea butter, which drastically cuts down on the time it takes to spread all over the body. For pregnant women who are more sensitive to scents, but want an unrefined shea butter, East African is always the butter of choice. East can be more oilier than West. West shea butter tends to absorb better on the feet and make them softer than East. There are many differences between East and West, but when making a decision between East or West, it comes down to what works best for you and your body.
    Thanks for that info CGF!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users

I use it with other, un-natural (lol) products, but honey is an essential frizz-fighter for me in the summertime. Not to mention the fact that it's also a great curl enhancer. I do a rinse- I put about a tablespoon in a mugfull of warm water, and pour it over my head after rinsing out my condish and before applying my styling products (I don't rinse out the rinse, lol).

In the winter I do a pre-conditioner rinse, or mix it with my condish, for extra moisture.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file