All Natural Detangling-conditioning Rinse

rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
i was going to give this recipe a couple of more tries before posting the results. but after 3 tries and one try on my daughter's thick, lengthy hair, i am convinced that i've found a completely natural and chemical-free way to detangle our hair.

i will note that my desire to find a noncommercial detangler has to do with me being a closet minimalist and reducing the amount of commercial products that i rely on, as well as environmental concerns about all the crap i rinse down the drain.

i got the recipe from anita grant's web site, but modified it a tad.

i've rounded it to even ounces to make measuring easier for me. she uses mL. i'm not patient with conversions. :icon_smile:

1 teaspoon marshmallow (the herb, not the gooey treat :wink:)

1 teaspoon burdock

12 ounces hot water (depending on your texture and preference, i've found that the less water you use, the more viscous the rinse, which can increase the slip factor. however, 12 ounces works well for me.

pour the hot water (not boiling) over the herbs and mix. allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to release the slime. it has an okra-like aroma to me that totally rinses away and won't stay in hair.

pour the rinse through a strain into a container. optional: add a healthy squirt of olive or jojoba oil or the oil of your preference for additional conditioning. and stir. transfer the rinse into a spray bottle with a misting nozzle.

i have very fine and long 3c/4a hair. i finger-detangle on dry, sectioned hair first. then i shampoo my sectioned hair with aubrey organics egyptian shampoo. i have switched to this because it cleans my scalp so well and the neutral henna only enhances my bi-monthly noncoloring henna treatments.

after rinsing the shampoo, i spray on the marshmallow-burdock detangling rinse and gently use my denman to clear out tangles and massage my scalp. i repeat until my entire head is done then i rinse well. by the time i am ready to rinse my hair, the rinse has had a chance to really sink into my hair, offering conditioning properties. even though this rinse is viscous and has good slip, it still doesn't compare to the slickness of creamy conditioners, so the denman process takes about 10 minutes longer than normal for my hair texture. i don't mind because it's all natural. i then oil each section with jojoba, passing the denman through one last time on my slightly damp hair at this point. and i style my hair, usually in pocahantas buns or 4 giant 2-strands until i'm ready to style.

the real test was on my daughter's hair, which she can sit on and is curly and wavy. her hair is so lengthy that i find it more practical to use the hair rinse as a pre-shampoo detangling rinse. i spray each section of her hair and work the denman through it. she loses minimal hair. by the time i'm ready to shampoo her, the rinse has had a chance to really sink into her hair, conditioning it. i then shampoo her thoroughly detangled hair, rinse well, and do nothing else but smooth oil onto each section and replait them. the only aroma left in our hair is the smell of the shampoo, which doesn't really impart an aroma, but leaves the hair smelling fresh and sweet.

the herbs cost mere change. i bought enough herbs for 3 hair rinses and paid a whopping 0.78 total! and i could have stretched that to 4 rinses, but the first three rinses were experiments in how much herbs i should measure. anyway, i get the herbs from whole foods. one recipe is enough for me to do both mine and my daughter's hair. i can't beat that.

i tried a similar recipe a couple of years ago, but with an herb called slippery elm. it didn't yield effective results. the consistency was too watery and did nothing for my tangles.

anyway, if you are into really natural hair care and want to leave behind even the more natural varieties of conditioners, you may want to give this a try.

i still only shampoo and denman-detangle once a week on the weekend. by midweek, i water-rinse or shampoo after finger-detangling.

http://mythbusterbeauty.com/2007/09/...s-a-good-idea/

scroll down for the benefits of burdock and marshmallow:
https://anitagrant.com/index.php?pag...shop&Itemid=41

the recipe on her site calls for marshmallow and white willow, but i used burdock instead of willow because i didn't need the skin-treatment properties of the willow.

hope you give it a try!

Comments

• misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Thanks so much rainshower for posting this recipe. This must be the same one I saw on Anita Grant and just didn't have the energy to convert the ml's!:)

Where did you buy your herbs - was it online or on the ground?

This could work very well for those of us who desire more slip in a chemical-free way. pigreyhound needs to see this!:compress:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    Oh, I am so excited! I would love to try this once I get rid of the other conditioners I have. I am trying to use up what I have so I am not being wasteful. But boy it is hard!! However, my inner PJ is just as happy with homemade products. (Thank goodness...)

I would also like to know where you got the herbs since I very much doubt I can get them at my local grocery. but I am going downstate this weekend so I may be able to find a natural food store with herbs.

I better write this down.....
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    misspam wrote: »
    Thanks so much rainshower for posting this recipe. This must be the same one I saw on Anita Grant and just didn't have the energy to convert the ml's!:)

Where did you buy your herbs - was it online or on the ground?

This could work very well for those of us who desire more slip in a chemical-free way. pigreyhound needs to see this!:compress:

i get mine from whole foods at the bulk herbal counter.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    Oh, and thanks so much for the two web links. I really enjoyed both sites!
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
    Oh, and thanks so much for the two web links. I really enjoyed both sites!

you are welcome!

i have used terressentials hair cleansers before. i used the lemon, which they recommended for my hair type. but it was discouraging that they didn't offer a natural detangling rinse or aid, which i desperately needed following such a clarifying clay cleanser. i emailed the company and expressed that i wanted an effective truly natural detangling product, but sadly, they couldn't help me, as they said that even natural conditioners contain refined ingredients that have undergone some type of processing. the clay cleansers were very effective, but i didn't have the money to continue to invest in them to get my hair beyond the detox phase. i have lots of tangly curly hair and it required me to have to use a lot of that clay cleanser, to get it all worked through to my scalp. not a cost-effective product. :cry:

i use aubrey organics shampoos, as they seem to be the most natural noncastile liquid cleansers on the market. castile leaves buildup that i don't like. the egyptian henna, jojoba and aloe, rosa mosqueta, and blue chamomile are all good scalp cleansers that just leave clean, fresh-smelling hair and nothing perfumey, flowery, or candy-like.

once the herbal detangling hair rinse is washed out, the only aroma left is that of the shampoo.

this is the closest that i've ever come to truly natural hair care.

if anyone knows of a cheaper natural scalp and hair cleanser that isn't too clarifying (my hair has dry tendencies), i'd love to hear about it! baking soda and acv are not the best match for my hair type. they are too cleansing (no matter how much i dilute), especially since i don't use styling products or commercial leave-ins that require clarifying to get my hair clean.

thanks! i'm glad we have this new forum!
    rainshower, we're glad to have you! :) This new forum is just the place for posting anything homemade and good for your hair. If you have any more, please post them. :toothy7:

Now, my Whole Foods is a large one, and I'm assuming they are all configured similarly. Where is the bulk herbal counter? Perhaps I have missed something. Thanks. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    misspam wrote: »
    rainshower, we're glad to have you! :) This new forum is just the place for posting anything homemade and good for your hair. If you have any more, please post them. :toothy7:

Now, my Whole Foods is a large one, and I'm assuming they are all configured similarly. Where is the bulk herbal counter? Perhaps I have missed something. Thanks. :)

in our stores, the bulk spice/herbal bins are situated in the personal care section, specifically near the supplements. the cooking spices are usually on the top shelves, and the herbs (edible and nonedible) are usually on the bottom shelves. they come in big jars. you scoop out what you want, weigh it, and code your baggie for the cashier.
    Thanks again rainshower. :) I swear, I have been up and down all the aisles in that store and I just don't recall seeing a bulk section like that. But, then again, I wasn't looking for bulk herbs so.....I think I am planning a Whole Foods run tomorrow. Yippee! :occasion9::occasion9:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    While my trip to Whole Foods was not a total loss, I was unable to get the Marsh Mallow and Burdock. The one I go to does not have bulk herbs and spices. The bulk section consists of nuts, berries, and grains.

But, not to worry. I did come home with some organic coconut oil, apricot kernel oil, some small blue glass dropper bottles, flour-sack towels and lunch! :flower:

I really want to try making the natural hair rinse. I may have to shop online for the herbs. Any recommendations for an online source?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    DANG!!!

I went to WF today and meant to pick these up and COMPLETELY forgot. Oh well, I'll get them next time.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was lucky enough to stop at Penn Herb Co a few months ago and stock up, but they have a website, too. If you need a good source for your hers, they are a very reputable company that has been in business for a long time. Hate to say it, but I've been going to them for 30 years. Here's the link:
    http://www.pennherb.com/cgi-bin/herbstore.cgi/cat?;aloe
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    kathymack wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to stop at Penn Herb Co a few months ago and stock up, but they have a website, too. If you need a good source for your hers, they are a very reputable company that has been in business for a long time. Hate to say it, but I've been going to them for 30 years. Here's the link:
    http://www.pennherb.com/cgi-bin/herbstore.cgi/cat?;aloe

Thanks for that link Kathy!
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Try www.mountainroseherbs.com, you might be about to find some there.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
    Thanks for the links kathymack and Magoo! I'll look into both of them. :flower:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JuanitaJuanita Posts: 27Registered Users
    I know this has been posted for a while, and maybe will go unanswered, but I'm new to this site and just discovered this recipe, so I'll ask anyway. :)

So, I just tried that recipe on my 4A hair. My hair was easy to manage and detangle in the shower, and did not shed as much. I added a few drops of lavender and ylang ylang EO for a little fragrance while I was using it, but the rinse itself left no scent in my hair afterwards. This is a good alternative to commercial rinses.

I must admit that although there was some 'slip' to the rinse, it was not as slippery as I would have thought. Not sure it will work when my hair is especially knotty.

I used marshmallow and burdock ROOT. Perhaps the leaves give more slip to the rinse? Has anyone else tried this? If so,did you use root or leaves? Someone else was talking about irish moss for rinses, anyone tried this before?

Many thanks!
  • NoShadesofGreyNoShadesofGrey Posts: 11Registered Users
    Juanita wrote: »
    I used marshmallow and burdock ROOT. Perhaps the leaves give more slip to the rinse? Has anyone else tried this? If so,did you use root or leaves? Someone else was talking about irish moss for rinses, anyone tried this before?

I was wondering the same thing. What part of the plants are used? We might have burdock growing around here, and it would be great if I could just use that instead of buying both things. :)
    1c/2a / F/M / ii
    ~~~~
    I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works;
    and that my soul knoweth right well.
    -Psalm 139:14

• maracasbeachmaracasbeach Posts: 310Registered Users
    Juanita wrote: »
    I know this has been posted for a while, and maybe will go unanswered, but I'm new to this site and just discovered this recipe, so I'll ask anyway. :)

So, I just tried that recipe on my 4A hair. My hair was easy to manage and detangle in the shower, and did not shed as much. I added a few drops of lavender and ylang ylang EO for a little fragrance while I was using it, but the rinse itself left no scent in my hair afterwards. This is a good alternative to commercial rinses.

I must admit that although there was some 'slip' to the rinse, it was not as slippery as I would have thought. Not sure it will work when my hair is especially knotty.

Many thanks!

I currently use a herbal rinse that includes burdock root (not the leaves). I don't use the rinse for detangling purposes, but as a final rinse after detangling with conditioner. My rinse currently includes burdock root, organic hibiscus leaves, organic sage and organic nettle. Maybe a teaspoon of each or maybe just one or two herbs depending on my mood steeped in a cup and half of boiled water. After rinsing with my herbal rinse, I add a little of my favorite conditioner back in my hair as a leave in and style as desired. For my hair the herbal rinse is adding shine and the more I use it the easier my hair is detangling.
  • JuanitaJuanita Posts: 27Registered Users
    Thanks for the reply Maracasbeach! I thought I had done the formula wrong but now I understand better. I have a bag of nettle leaves hanging around, I think I’ll give it a try too, mixed with my marshmallow root, and do it as a final rinse as often as possible. My hair’s been getting into these impossible knots these days and is a mess to detangle, so I need all the help I can get J Thanx again!
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    Hmmm.... another thing for the notebook. *insert mad scientist laugh here*
  • thegreendivathegreendiva Posts: 20Registered Users
    I shall have to find somewhere in the UK to get this herbs as it sounds liek something I will love once my hair grows longer! Thanks :sunny:
    3a: Only using products not tested on animals or derived from animal ingredients...

Simple Low poo routine: Pure Nuff Stuff Hair bar and shea butter.
    Plus occasional Lush American Cream (despite small amount of SLS).

See my site for product reviews and other green things:

The Green Diva Look Good and Feel Great... The Green Way!
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Forgot about this thread. I have an infusion of marshmallow and buddock root in the refrigerator--I'm hoping to put it in my FSG when I get a chance to make it. I'm wondering if I can heat the flax seeds in it, or should I add it after I get the FSG?
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    I buy my herbs from Spirituali-Tea on eBay.

ETA: Just found out that they also have a website at http://www.spirituali-tea.com/.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file