I have some henna questions

KynnibKynnib Posts: 999Registered Users
Where can i buy it online?
How do i use it?
Is cassia the same thing?
How long does it take to loosen the curl?
How often do i use it?
Can I use it over semi permanent hair dye?
4a hair. MOD CG routine.

Present Loves
-Back on the (rajasthani) henna train! My hair is so much better now.
-KBB hair butter mixed with Hairveda Cocasta oil
-Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent
«1

Comments

  • Hairblogger â„¢Hairblogger â„¢ Posts: 564Registered Users
    Cassia and Henna are two very different things. But you can get information about and also purchase pure Henna online at

    http://www.hennaforhair.com
    'Goddess Hair & Skin Recipe Book' devotee 4life!

    Co-Wash: Aubrey O. HoneySuckleRose Cond.
    Poo: 1-2x ~monthly~ w/AO 'poo+Baking Soda
    DT: Honey + any Aubrey Condish
    Leave-Ins: Sheamoisture / RJML Cactus / KBBmilk!


    [/COLOR]
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    Like hairblogger said, you can get information at that website. I would definitely recommend reading the free e-book.
    Where can i buy it online?
    You can buy it at http://www.mehndiskinart.com/hair_henna_dye.htm, http://www.mehandi.com/, and http://stinastina.ecrater.com/. (Those are the 3 most popular here.)
    How do i use it?
    Basically you mix it up with what you decide on, let it sit, and then slop it in your hair. It's like a think frosting/mud mix. Then you let it sit for a number of hours and rince it out. That's a simplified version, but it's not much more complicated than that. Just have to decide what to put in it, how long you want to let it sit, and how long you want it in your hair.
    Is cassia the same thing?
    Cassia is not the same thing. It comes from a different plant, but is often called "neutral henna" because it does not have any color, but gives similar strength and conditioning as henna.
    How long does it take to loosen the curl?
    That is a question that can't be answered. For many people it doesn't affect their curl so there's a very good chance it won't loosen your curl at all.
    How often do i use it?
    As often as you like. Some do it weekly, some do it monthly, some do it every other month, etc.
    Can I use it over semi permanent hair dye?
    As long as you're using BAQ henna then yes.
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    You've already received great information so I'll just tellyou a little about what i do.

    I buy my henna from http://www.hennaforhair.com, I use BAQ Jamila, and I get the "bridal" quality.

    I like to mix mine with conditioner, so what I'm doing is actually called a henna gloss, I started doing this to avoid my hair getting overly dry from the henna. I have to say though, I just recently tried using henna and chamomile tea (thank you curlynikki), and no conditioner mixed in, and as long as I deep conditioned, my hair did not feel overly dry at all.

    I've never used cassia, but I've heard it has similiar conditioning properties, without the red hue.

    Henna has not loosened my curl at all, though I don't use it very often. I just touch up as needed and will often go months in between. My hair is very wiry so perhaps that's why I didn't notice a change in my curls. I like to use it because of it's conditioning and because I love the shine it gives to my hair.

    I've never used a semi-perm color over it, but as Kitara said, as long as you're using body art quality henna, you should be fine.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

    Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

    Certified Denirophile:love5:

    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • Ms KittyMs Kitty Posts: 556Registered Users
    Facts about Jamila:

    Our source about Jamila: Abid & Company (Pvt) Ltd.

    Abid & Company makes two henna products under the Brand Name Jamila, we have been selling Quality Jamila Henna Products Since 2001.

    1. There is only one company who makes Jamila Brand Henna, the company is Abid & Company (Pvt) Ltd. located in Lahore Pakistan.

    2. They have two Brand Names for their henna, Jamila Brand and Malika Brand. Malika Brand Name Henna is not sold in North America.

    3. Under the Jamila Brand name, two products are made;

    a. The first product is packaged in a yellowish box, the inner packaging is a cellophane bag, the product is not date stamped. This product is highly recommended for dyeing your hair.

    b. The second product is packaged in a silvery yellowish green box, the inner packaging is a foil bag, on the bottom of the box the product is date stamped with a red and white stamp. This product is recommended for tattooing and/or dyeing your hair.

    4. No where on the Jamila packaging does the manufacturer state that the henna powder is Body Art Quality or BAQ. The phrase BAQ is only a marketing scheme.

    Fiction about Jamila Henna products:

    Jamila Brand does not have 5 different cuts of Jamila Henna;

    Jamila Brand does not have infinite variables of packaging; Jamila Brand does not sell in bulk 1 kilo bags, (all Jamila Brand Henna Products are sold in 100 gram boxes)

    Jamila Brand does not make 2 types of Body Art Quality Henna;

    Jamila does not make a Jamila Brand Henna called "Jamila Bridal Art Quality Henna"

    Some sites mislabel their henna products, making claims that the "henna for hair, quality" is BAQ when it is not, to test simply make a paste and apply it to the skin as a tattoo and wait for the results, if you only get a light stain that lasts a few days, it is Not "Body Art Quality".

    What is Body Art Henna Powder:

    The simple definition; any henna powder that can be used for Body Art Tattooing the henna has a higher concentration of dye, than henna used on hair.
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    Coconut,Jojoba and JBC oils
    Rosemary Oil/w horsetail,coltsfoot and Nettle leaves.
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

    http://public.fotki.com/mj11051
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    Ms Kitty wrote: »
    b. The second product is packaged in a silvery yellowish green box, the inner packaging is a foil bag, on the bottom of the box the product is date stamped with a red and white stamp. This product is recommended for tattooing and/or dyeing your hair.
    This is the one that people usually say as Bridal Quality.
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    Ms Kitty wrote: »
    Facts about Jamila:

    Our source about Jamila: Abid & Company (Pvt) Ltd.

    Abid & Company makes two henna products under the Brand Name Jamila, we have been selling Quality Jamila Henna Products Since 2001.

    1. There is only one company who makes Jamila Brand Henna, the company is Abid & Company (Pvt) Ltd. located in Lahore Pakistan.

    2. They have two Brand Names for their henna, Jamila Brand and Malika Brand. Malika Brand Name Henna is not sold in North America.

    3. Under the Jamila Brand name, two products are made;

    a. The first product is packaged in a yellowish box, the inner packaging is a cellophane bag, the product is not date stamped. This product is highly recommended for dyeing your hair.

    b. The second product is packaged in a silvery yellowish green box, the inner packaging is a foil bag, on the bottom of the box the product is date stamped with a red and white stamp. This product is recommended for tattooing and/or dyeing your hair.

    4. No where on the Jamila packaging does the manufacturer state that the henna powder is Body Art Quality or BAQ. The phrase BAQ is only a marketing scheme.

    Fiction about Jamila Henna products:

    Jamila Brand does not have 5 different cuts of Jamila Henna;

    Jamila Brand does not have infinite variables of packaging; Jamila Brand does not sell in bulk 1 kilo bags, (all Jamila Brand Henna Products are sold in 100 gram boxes)

    Jamila Brand does not make 2 types of Body Art Quality Henna;

    Jamila does not make a Jamila Brand Henna called "Jamila Bridal Art Quality Henna"

    Some sites mislabel their henna products, making claims that the "henna for hair, quality" is BAQ when it is not, to test simply make a paste and apply it to the skin as a tattoo and wait for the results, if you only get a light stain that lasts a few days, it is Not "Body Art Quality".

    What is Body Art Henna Powder:

    The simple definition; any henna powder that can be used for Body Art Tattooing the henna has a higher concentration of dye, than henna used on hair.

    Wow! I'd really like to talk to Catherine over at hennaforhair about this. She's the expert.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

    Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

    Certified Denirophile:love5:

    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • Ms KittyMs Kitty Posts: 556Registered Users
    Talk to whom you like, but if you go to other websites none of them describe their henna like that and it's the same thing.


    Kitara that's the henna I use and I didn't get it from her. I got it here http://www.mehndiskinart.com/hair_henna_dye.htm and it's cheaper than her's and it's the exact same henna. There was a woman who had some of Catherine's henna on sale at ebay,I bought some just to see the difference and there was none. HTH
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    Coconut,Jojoba and JBC oils
    Rosemary Oil/w horsetail,coltsfoot and Nettle leaves.
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

    http://public.fotki.com/mj11051
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    Oh yea, that's where I got it from too. Ms Kitty. I actually used StinaStina for the 2008 crop though because her preorder price was cheaper. But yeah, Jamilla is all the same no matter where you buy it from so I'd go with the cheapest.

    Onyx, I'm pretty sure I learned all of that in one way or another FROM Catherine's website. It's not new information.
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    Well, Ms Kitty - I suppose you're right.

    I went to hennaforhair and posted your question, just as you worded it. At the bottom of your text, I asked if anyone could tell me if the information was true. I did this last night. I checked later last night, and I saw that one person had commented, but Catherine had not. I went back this morning to see if there were any additional comments, and my question had been removed from the forum, I had also been banned. I'm very disappointed and insulted. I've been a customer of theirs for over a year. I asked the question, not to make trouble, but just wanted some clarification.

    Anyway, I guess they've just lost a loyal customer.:(.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

    Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

    Certified Denirophile:love5:

    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • Ms KittyMs Kitty Posts: 556Registered Users
    Are you kidding me? See that's why I've never bought her product. That was just wrong. And now you see she's full of crap and didn't want to get called on it.:thumbdown:
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    Coconut,Jojoba and JBC oils
    Rosemary Oil/w horsetail,coltsfoot and Nettle leaves.
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

    http://public.fotki.com/mj11051
  • socoilysocoily Posts: 54Registered Users
    Has anyone ever heard of or used something called kalpi tone powder to dye/condition their hair? Here's the site: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Hesh-Kalpi-Tone-Powder.html

    I've heard of one lady on another board who has used this and really liked it.
  • jjnelliejjnellie Posts: 28Registered Users
    what's the difference btw yemen and all those other varieties?
    Janellie
    http://public.fotki.com/jjnel228/
    BC: August 20, 2008
    Currently growing hair!

    Fav Products:
    Giovanni Direct Leave In
    Jessicurl WDT
    KBB Hair Milk
  • Ms KittyMs Kitty Posts: 556Registered Users
    jjnellie wrote: »
    what's the difference btw yemen and all those other varieties?


    Yemen has a higher dye content. Jamila has a great dye content and has a very fine sift, makes it easier to wash out.HTH
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    Coconut,Jojoba and JBC oils
    Rosemary Oil/w horsetail,coltsfoot and Nettle leaves.
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

    http://public.fotki.com/mj11051
  • Alethea_71Alethea_71 Posts: 7Registered Users
    Before anyone else goes ballistic, please consider a few things.

    First of all, the "Facts About Jamila" page was posted buy David Parkin at Mehndi Skin Art. David has a long and unpleasant history of harassing people in the henna business, especially if he believes they are more successful than he. He started in on Catherine several years ago on the old Hennapage forum and was so rude and offended so many users that Catherine banned him from the forum in response to over a dozen complaints from other forum users.

    In the years since, David has continually harassed Catherine by e-mail and through the Henna for Hair Forum, posting false statements about her, and "stealth" ads under assumed names for his site and his products.

    The "Facts About Jamila" page appears to be just another form of harassment. Think about this for a moment. David is nursing an old grudge and has a well-known history of online attacks like this one, but every claim Catherine has ever made for the products she gets from the Jamila people can be easily confirmed with a single e-mail. Has anyone asked the obvious questions of the people who can prove or disprove David's claims?

    As for OnyxCabelo having been "banned" from the H4H forum, I asked Catherine what was up and she said that she'd had a round of harassing e-mails from David and a threatening phone call in the previous two days, so when OnyxCabelo's post showed up on H4H, she deleted it and blocked the IP address to protect the forum while she was out of the office on business because she was concerned that this might be another assault on the forum from David Parkin and there was no time to investigate.

    Catherine says she later e-mailed OnyxCabelo to explain the situation, apologized for the inconvenience and said she'd unlock her IP address. You can see OnyxCabelo's response here in this forum.

    All this uproar here seems pretty fishy to me and it's the kind of thing many of us have seen David do repeatedly on H4H and elsewhere on the Web. He'll put up a post to see what kind of trouble he can stir up. He's been known to post under two or three false IDs in the same thread to create the illusion of "something happening."

    My opinion is that instead of jumping to possbily unwarranted conclusions about Catherine, you should be asking some serious questions about the people pushing the "Facts About Jamila" and just what their agenda might be. You should also contact the Jamila company to find out whether there's any truth to David's claims.
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    What part of the "Facts about Jamila" isn't true. I just don't even get it. It's not like it's controversial or anything. How is it even attacking anything Catherine's said/done anyway? I guess I'm just missing something. It didn't change how I felt about h4h at all.

    As far as being banned/unbanned. We're all human and we make mistakes. If Catherine e-mailed and apologized then it just shows that she TOO is not above making a mistake.
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    jjnellie wrote: »
    what's the difference btw yemen and all those other varieties?
    I've tried both the Yemen (from h4h) and both types of the Jamila (from MSA). The Jamila was easier to wash out, but I used honey that time and not with the Yemen so that could be a big factor.

    Two things I noticed with the Yemen. First, the dye release was much quicker and stronger. I got some on my hands/arms and the Jamila was easily removed, but the Yemen stained almost immediately. Both I let sit for the same amount of time. The undated box of Jamila I let sit for about 8 hours and still didn't have the amount of dye release the Yemen had after only sitting an hour or so.

    Second, I get much more orange runoff for much longer with Jamila. The Yemen lasted about a week, but with the Jamila it is still running orange 3 weeks later.

    That said, in my hair, they really look the same. BUT ~ I also have very dark hair so it's really hard to tell or to compare the two.
  • Alethea_71Alethea_71 Posts: 7Registered Users
    Kitara wrote: »
    What part of the "Facts about Jamila" isn't true. I just don't even get it. It's not like it's controversial or anything. How is it even attacking anything Catherine's said/done anyway?

    You have to view the "Facts About Jamila" in context on David's site to understand what I mean, but David's s "fact sheet" is intended to imply that Catherine's claims about the Jamila products she sells are false but, as I said any of what she says can be confirmed or disproved with an e-mail to the head of the company.

    I know for a fact that Catherine buys several metric tonnes out of each harvest and that the head of the company offers to prepare special sifts for her because she's a long-standing client and buys in large volume and that's the real problem with the "fact sheet." David is certain he knows all there is to know about how Jamila is prepared but he either doesn't know or refuses to believe or he chooses to ignore the fact that someone such as Catherine, who routinely buys in the volume that I know Catherine does, would get specially prepared product not available to anyone else because it's been custom-ordered. But...as I've said...you don't have to take anyone's word for this. If you doubt any of the information about Jamila on Catherine's sites, you can contact the head of Jamila and ask him yourself.
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    Alethea_71 wrote: »
    Before anyone else goes ballistic, please consider a few things.

    First of all, the "Facts About Jamila" page was posted buy David Parkin at Mehndi Skin Art. David has a long and unpleasant history of harassing people in the henna business, especially if he believes they are more successful than he. He started in on Catherine several years ago on the old Hennapage forum and was so rude and offended so many users that Catherine banned him from the forum in response to over a dozen complaints from other forum users.

    In the years since, David has continually harassed Catherine by e-mail and through the Henna for Hair Forum, posting false statements about her, and "stealth" ads under assumed names for his site and his products.

    The "Facts About Jamila" is just another form of harassment. Think about this for a moment. David is nursing an old grudge and has a history of online attacks like this one, but every claim Catherine has ever made for the products she gets from the Jamila people can be easily confirmed with a single e-mail. Has anyone asked the obvious questions of the people who can prove or disprove David's claims?

    As for OnyxCabelo having been "banned" from the H4H forum, I asked Catherine what was up and she said that she'd had a round of harassing e-mails from David and a threatening phone call in the previous two days, so when OnyxCabelo's post showed up on H4H, she deleted it and blocked the IP address to protect the forum while she was out of the office on business because she was concerned that this might be another assault on the forum from David Parkin and there was no time to investigate.

    She says she later e-mailed OnyxCabelo to explain the situation, apologized for the inconvenience and said she'd unlock her IP address. You can see OnyxCabelo's response here in this forum.

    All this uproar here seems pretty fishy to me and it's the kind of thing many of us have seen David do repeatedly on H4H and elsewhere on the Web. He'll put up a post to see what kind of trouble he can stir up. I've seen him post under two or three false IDs in the same thread to create the illusion of "something happening."

    My opinion is that instead of jumping to unwarranted conclusions about Catherine, you should be asking some serious questions about the people pushing the "Facts About Jamila" and just what their agenda might be.

    ***I don't quite understand your the bolded statements.***

    I did get Catherine's email, although it was only after I had sent an email to her. It would have been nice to get an email from her upfront explaining why she made the decision to remove the question and ban me in the first place. Nevertheless, prior to your post here, I had already come to understand - based on her email, why she made the decision she did. I suppose if i had had someone harrassing me like that i would have done the same thing.

    Alethea_71 - it's very clear to me that you registered on this site to explain what took place, I can understand not wanting to taint Catherine's reputation. I have always admired Catherine's knowledge about henna, and that is why I was so shocked when she banned me. It took me by surprise, and just as she had a "knee jerk" reaction to me when I posted that question in the H4H forum, I had a "knee jerk" reaction to her when she deleted my post and banned me. I put my post out here to Ms Kitty, because I had not yet heard from Catherine, I had no idea what was going on, and I was shocked by the whole thing.


    What I have a problem with now, is the fact that you make it sound as if I came here to stir up trouble. The fact is, Catherine did not email me back until after I had already posted that above comment to Ms Kitty about being banned. So, if you are incenuating that Catherine emailed me first, and that I still came here to stir up trouble - then you are DEAD wrong - and quite frankly I'm getting sick of the paranoia!! All I was looking for was answers. As I've mentioned, I've been Catherine's customer for over a year, I have only had admiration for her knowledge as it pertains to henna - but when this whole thing happened it had me completely flabbergasted. I had no previous knowledge of this Parkin history before I put that question on the forum!

    Catherine did explain to me what happened in her email, but again, it was not until AFTER I made the above posted comment to Ms Kitty. I was actually planning on writing her this morning to explain that I understood her reaction and was glad she was going to reinstate my IP address - I then intended to come here and let everyone know about the her steps to rectify the situation. But instead, I stop in here, and it seems as if you are blaming me for the stir - so, I have to wonder who you are, just how much you know about the whole thing - and why you seem to be blaming me??

    Also, I sure would like to know about this supposed "uproar" of which you speak - other than Ms Kitty's response to me - no one else has even mentioned anything more about it.

    Additionally, regarding my original question about Ms Kitty's information about the Jamila henna, that was never addressed by Catherine in the email. In all honesty, I just wanted to know if there was any truth to it - I used to purchase yemen henna and then switched to Jamila, when I placed my order I was told I was getting Bridal quality henna - if someone else then tells me there is no such thing as bridal quality henna, isn't it natural that I would be curious to know if there is any truth to what they are saying and doesn't it make sense that I would go to my source to find out if it's true???

    Seems to me that YOU are causing the uproar, and making me feel as if this is nothing more than ridicuous, bitter CRAP!! I'm sorry this David Whoever did this to you, Catherine - I won't speak of it any more - it's just too sickening:sad8::sad8:.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

    Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

    Certified Denirophile:love5:

    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • Alethea_71Alethea_71 Posts: 7Registered Users


    "I did get Catherine's email, although it was only after I had sent an email to her. It would have been nice to get an email from her upfront explaining why she made the decision to remove the question and ban me in the first place. Nevertheless, prior to your post here, I had already come to understand - based on her email, why she made the decision she did. I suppose if i had had someone harrassing me like that i would have done the same thing.

    What I have a problem with now, is the fact that you make it sound as if I came here to stir up trouble. The fact is, Catherine did not email me back until after I had already posted that above comment to Ms Kitty about being banned. So, if you are incenuating that Catherine emailed me first, and that I
    still came here to stir up trouble - then you are DEAD wrong - and quite frankly I'm getting sick of the paranoia!! All I was looking for was answers. As I've mentioned, I've been Catherine's customer for over a year, I have only had admiration for her knowledge as it pertains to henna - but when this whole thing happened it had me completely flabbergasted. I had no previous knowledge of this Parkin history before I put that question on the forum!"
    "

    Catherine was out of the office for a long stretch at a series of business meetings. Is it possible that would explain her delay in getting back to you?

    Also, I don't think you should take this personally. As I said earlier, she thought your post was actually David ramping up another series of attacks on the forum, she was on a tight schedule and there was no time to do anything except cut off whoever that was and deal with the situation later.

    Neither she nor I make any assumptions about you personally or your motives. What I can say for certain is that she assumed, although she later admitted, incorrectly, that your post might be a lead-in to trouble on the forum, however, that was a snap assessment of an ongoing situation and not a judgment about you individually.
  • anonymous_4926anonymous_4926 Posts: 678Registered Users
    i'm not sure how many people who respond to this thread have read the henna thread. but there were a few people who used catherine's "personal stash" and jamila from other vendors. they reported that there was no obvious difference in the quality of henna.

    i ordered my first batch of henna from mr. parkin. there was some confusion about the order, and he called me to clear it up. he ever referred me to catherine's website if i chose not to do business with him. that hardly seems like someone who would harass people online. i'm not saying it's not possible, but i don't think it's appropriate to throw the man under the bus like that on this forum. he really has nothing to do with why onyx's email was not answered. simply put, catherine made a mistake and an effort was made to clear it up. that's really all the rest of us need to know.
    natural since 1998. trying to adapt to this midwest weather while still keeping it simple. current length: MBL (stretched)

    www.fotki.com/curlymami
    pw: enter
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    Alethea_71 wrote: »
    You have to view the "Facts About Jamila" in context on David's site to understand what I mean, but David's s "fact sheet" is intended to imply that Catherine's claims about the Jamila products she sells are false but, as I said any of what she says can be confirmed or disproved with an e-mail to the head of the company.

    I know for a fact that Catherine buys several metric tonnes out of each harvest and that the head of the company offers to prepare special sifts for her because she's a long-standing client and buys in large volume and that's the real problem with the "fact sheet." David is certain he knows all there is to know about how Jamila is prepared but he either doesn't know or refuses to believe or he chooses to ignore the fact that someone such as Catherine, who routinely buys in the volume that I know Catherine does, would get specially prepared product not available to anyone else because it's been custom-ordered. But...as I've said...you don't have to take anyone's word for this. If you doubt any of the information about Jamila on Catherine's sites, you can contact the head of Jamila and ask him yourself.
    Ah, OK. That makes more sense. I'm sorry there's crap between the two. Also, don't let one or two posts in this thread be indicitive of the attitudes regarding Catherine's site or David's site.

    I agree with curlymami that I haven't seen anyone that has used Catherine's henna say anything bad about it. In fact, I haven't seen anything bad said about h4h at all. It's usually the first place newbies are pointed to when they are intrested in henna.

    I have ordered from both places and haven't had any problems with either. Fast shipping from both and got exactly what I ordered. I will continue to use both.
    simply put, catherine made a mistake and an effort was made to clear it up. that's really all the rest of us need to know.
    Exactly.
  • Alethea_71Alethea_71 Posts: 7Registered Users
    Kitara wrote: »
    Ah, OK. That makes more sense. I'm sorry there's crap between the two. Also, don't let one or two posts in this thread be indicitive of the attitudes regarding Catherine's site or David's site.

    Please understand that I had no intention of disturbing the peace here, but I felt it was necessary to put the so-called "fact sheet" into context and make it clear that David has a (poorly) hidden agenda and that this is a pattern of behavior that goes back many years with David attacking a number of people in the business who may have a higher search engine position, bought a better ad placement or anything else David interprets as a threat to his own business.

    As I explained to OnyxCabelo, Catherine had no time to examine things closely when her post showed up on the H4H forum. It looked, at first glance, like David starting up again, especially considering that she'd received a threatening phone call from him two days earlier. She acted quickly to be sure there would be no trouble on the forum while she was out of the office. OnyxCabelo's intentions were legit...she just got caught in the crossfire.

    I was spending some time this afternoon working with Catherine on a new project when she e-maild Onyx to tell her that her IP had been unblocked and that she was as welcome as anyone to post to the H4H forum.
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    Alethea_71 wrote: »
    Kitara wrote: »
    Ah, OK. That makes more sense. I'm sorry there's crap between the two. Also, don't let one or two posts in this thread be indicitive of the attitudes regarding Catherine's site or David's site.

    Please understand that I had no intention of disturbing the peace here, but I felt it was necessary to put the so-called "fact sheet" into context and make it clear that David has a (poorly) hidden agenda and that this is a pattern of behavior that goes back many years with David attacking a number of people in the business who may have a higher search engine position, bought a better ad placement or anything else David interprets as a threat to his own business.

    As I explained to OnyxCabelo, Catherine had no time to examine things closely when her post showed up on the H4H forum. It looked, at first glance, like David starting up again, especially considering that she'd received a threatening phone call from him two days earlier. She acted quickly to be sure there would be no trouble on the forum while she was out of the office. OnyxCabelo's intentions were legit...she just got caught in the crossfire.

    I was spending some time this afternoon working with Catherine on a new project when she e-maild Onyx to tell her that her IP had been unblocked and that she was as welcome as anyone to post to the H4H forum.

    I got Catherine's email and replied - I appreciate the gesture.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

    Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

    Certified Denirophile:love5:

    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • KynnibKynnib Posts: 999Registered Users
    Henna is not a game.
    4a hair. MOD CG routine.

    Present Loves
    -Back on the (rajasthani) henna train! My hair is so much better now.
    -KBB hair butter mixed with Hairveda Cocasta oil
    -Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent
  • Ms KittyMs Kitty Posts: 556Registered Users
    Alethea_71 wrote: »
    Kitara wrote: »
    Ah, OK. That makes more sense. I'm sorry there's crap between the two. Also, don't let one or two posts in this thread be indicitive of the attitudes regarding Catherine's site or David's site.

    Please understand that I had no intention of disturbing the peace here, but I felt it was necessary to put the so-called "fact sheet" into context and make it clear that David has a (poorly) hidden agenda and that this is a pattern of behavior that goes back many years with David attacking a number of people in the business who may have a higher search engine position, bought a better ad placement or anything else David interprets as a threat to his own business.

    As I explained to OnyxCabelo, Catherine had no time to examine things closely when her post showed up on the H4H forum. It looked, at first glance, like David starting up again, especially considering that she'd received a threatening phone call from him two days earlier. She acted quickly to be sure there would be no trouble on the forum while she was out of the office. OnyxCabelo's intentions were legit...she just got caught in the crossfire.

    I was spending some time this afternoon working with Catherine on a new project when she e-maild Onyx to tell her that her IP had been unblocked and that she was as welcome as anyone to post to the H4H forum.

    I sent the makers of Jamila an email and I was told that they DON'T sell a bridal art quality henna.
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    Coconut,Jojoba and JBC oils
    Rosemary Oil/w horsetail,coltsfoot and Nettle leaves.
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

    http://public.fotki.com/mj11051
  • Alethea_71Alethea_71 Posts: 7Registered Users
    Ms Kitty wrote: »
    I sent the makers of Jamila an email and I was told that they DON'T sell a bridal art quality henna.

    Neither does Catherine.

    I think you might be mixing the terms "bridal quality" and "body art quality," both of which are fairly widely used among henna artists. However, take a careful look the product listing on Mehandi.com. There is no product called "Body Art Quality" or "Bridal Quality." Those terms are used only as descriptions of the overall quality of the sift, not as product names.
  • Ms KittyMs Kitty Posts: 556Registered Users
    Catherine calls her personal stash bridial quailty. I've seen her use those words before.
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    Coconut,Jojoba and JBC oils
    Rosemary Oil/w horsetail,coltsfoot and Nettle leaves.
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

    http://public.fotki.com/mj11051
  • Alethea_71Alethea_71 Posts: 7Registered Users
    Ms Kitty wrote: »
    Catherine calls her personal stash bridial quailty. I've seen her use those words before.

    As I said above, she uses the term as a generic description which is understood by henna artists as referring to any particularly finely sifted henna, regardless of the brand. But you won't find a product on her site or her product list named "Bridal Quality Henna."

    The same is true for the term "body art quality" or BAQ. In the 90's it was common for hennas to contain pieces too big to pass through the narrow cones and metal tips henna artists used to do their work and they had to sift the powder and strain the henna paste before attempting to use it for body art work, especially for doing fine lines as in elaborate bridal designs.

    Over the years, in response to the demand, the suppliers began preparing packaged hennas that required little or no sifting or straining. These finer hennas gradually became known among henna artists as "bridal quality" and "body art quality," as opposed to the chunkier hennas which were easier to use for dyeing hair because there were no tiny applicators involved.

    Dye content in henna varies from one crop to another and you'll also sometimes hear henna artists refer to hennas with high dye content as "bridal quality."
  • KynnibKynnib Posts: 999Registered Users
    ok so i ordered 5 packs of regular jamila henna (not special stash or bridal quality) from henna for hair. I hope it works out nicely :compress:
    4a hair. MOD CG routine.

    Present Loves
    -Back on the (rajasthani) henna train! My hair is so much better now.
    -KBB hair butter mixed with Hairveda Cocasta oil
    -Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    Kynnib wrote: »
    ok so i ordered 5 packs of regular jamila henna (not special stash or bridal quality) from henna for hair. I hope it works out nicely :compress:

    Congrats Kynnib! Let us know how it works out for you:flower:.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

    Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

    Certified Denirophile:love5:

    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file