Terressentials Routines - The Detox

memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
Well...I'm on day 5 and I decided to just wash and go. Amazingly my hair looked fine...not much clumping but plenty of curl and volume. About half way through the day I added a touch of Nourish and Shine to kind smooth it up a bit.

I'm not sure hair can actually be detoxed but I've been amazed at how well this cleanser works. I've also been looking to simplify my routine so the timing was good. Until the last few years (I'm 51 and have always been curly) I rarely used styling products but once I started reading here regularly I turned into a true junkie. I'm hoping to break that habit and find a simple routine that works fairly reliably. The natural thing is kind of a bonus since I definitely have crunchy tendencies :)

Let's here all the detox divas updates...

Michelle
3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.

Comments

• OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    Memes, I am waiting for my Terressentials stuff to get here, hopefully by next Tuesday, and then I would love to post updates here. :nike:
    http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    Memes, I am so glad you like it! It is an odd idea, isn't it? But I find my hair responds the same way. Good curl and volume.

I am avoiding unnecessary chemicals but continue to highlight my hair as I am transitioning to white hair. So, I try to look at it positively....I am not coloring as much!

At this point, I use the clay wash every couple days. I get 2nd day hair pretty consistently with this new routine. I am trying to rinse or cowash more often since I somehow feel that I shouldn't be washing every day. If my hair feels "gunky" I clay wash once or twice. I am using the Lemon wash right now, but I prefer the Lavender overall.
    After a DT or if I oiled my hair while in the sun, I use a CV bar to wash my hair first, then clay wash after that.
    I think I would always keep a bottle of the clay wash on hand.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • orangeorange Posts: 176Registered Users
    memes, i'm really liking this cleanser also. I accidentally put a little to much shea as a leave-in, and the lemon terresentials took it right out w/o drying my hair.

• misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    memes and orange - It's great to hear you are liking the routine. Welcome to the Mud Lovers Society! :wink:

opera_curls - We're all keeping our fingers crossed for you that your order comes soon. :)

I am pretty much down to one wash a day with an occasional 60-minute mask, alternating between the Lavender and the Lemon. I can't decide which one I like more, so I will continue to repurchase both.

Unlike you, pigreyhound, I never get 2nd day hair, ever! I have to wet my hair every day, so I use the hair wash every day, sometimes I include a wash with a CV bar, and acv rinses 2 to 3 times per week. I enjoy the simpleness of the whole routine. :toothy7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    You know, I only rarely got 2nd day hair before the clay wash, but now I get it pretty consistently. For me, I think alot of the issue is getting enough moisture into my hair. If I can get moisture into my curls, my hair really behaves so much better.
    I am thinking the aloe vera gel makes a difference, but I am still experimenting.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    Second day hair...I can only wish. My hair is very short right now...maybe 3" in the longest areas...and very layered so I look pretty wild when I wake up. I may try alternating water washing and clay washing though. My hair has looked like I might be able to just spritz with water and get second day hair so I may try that also.

We need a thread on "after the detox" so we can see what everybody is doing and using. I may start one this afternoon. I tried mixing aloe and honey and just scrunching that in this morning....not good! My hair looks fine but feels oddly crunchy and it won't crunch out :(

I do like the clay wash routine though and am awaiting my additional products from Terresentials. I may even try a couple of their skincare products.

It's fun to see how well everybody seems to be doing with this,

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
    Memes, are you finished with your detox? How is your hair doing? Update? :toothy9:

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
    Yes, I'm all done and my hair is good. Nothing miraculous but so far so good and it is a really easy routine. I'm still just washing with the TE cleanser and then using quite a good size dollop of the homemade flax seed gel and letting my hair air dry. Today I mixed a little aloe with the flax seed gel but I don't really see any difference so I need to fool around with the proportions.

Thanks for asking....I just was checking in to see what everybody else is doing after the detox.

M

I washed twice and did a 60 minute mask with the Left Coast Lemon tonight. Oh my goodness, the tangles! It literally took me 30 minutes to detangle my hair after those first two washes. It was easier while I was rinsing my hair after the mask, but it still took me another 10 minutes to comb it out. I smoothed/raked a bit of the FFMC through my hair, and added some cocoa butter oil on my ends. It's still wet, and I french braided it, hoping it will minimize tangles tomorrow night. My hair feels like plastic. I know, I know, it's just the first day, it's part of the detox process. I'm just frustrated that it took so freaking long to comb my hair!

Detox veterans, any tips for minimizing tangles? I'm going to try the Lavender wash tomorrow night, maybe my hair needs the extra moisture. Would an ACV rinse help?

On a more positive note, I used the face care samples, and my skin is all soft and glowy! And the white chocolate lip balm smells amazing! If only it tasted as good as it smells.

I LOVE HENNA!
  • swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 606Registered Users
    Detox veterans, any tips for minimizing tangles? I'm going to try the Lavender wash tomorrow night, maybe my hair needs the extra moisture. Would an ACV rinse help?

On a more positive note, I used the face care samples, and my skin is all soft and glowy! And the white chocolate lip balm smells amazing! If only it tasted as good as it smells.

Your hair is much longer (and curlier) than mine, so it's probably more prone to tangles. But, I do have a few thoughts for you...

- I've noticed I get more slip with the Lavender than the LCL or SS (but do get it with those too). I am actually out of the lavender and I miss it. Let us know if that makes a difference for you.

- I experimented with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] again a couple of times this week. I did not like the way my hair felt for a wash or two after. I don't think the wash did a great job removing it; I felt like I had to mini-detox again.

- My hair will tangle a bit if I try to use the wash like regular shampoo (massaging or moving my hair a lot). I try to smooth it on and rub it into my hair without moving my hair around too much. I don't know if that makes sense, but I notice the area up around my scalp is more prone to feel tangled since I scrub or rub more vigorously at my scalp. For me the tangles rinse/fall out when I rinse the wash, but I don't remember if they did in the very beginning.

- An acv rinse won't hurt. Go ahead and give it a shot. I also had decent luck using the body wash and acv rinse for my first wash. I don't know if you got a sample, but you could try that, too. I think it helps remove some of the gunk in the beginning. (Dr. Bonners or a poo bar or some other castile might serve a similar purpose.)

It will get better! I'm glad you liked the facial samples. Did you get the flower therapy? I ordered the full size lotion and I think I will go ahead and get the wash and toner with my next order. And I also love the lip balm. I got the orange chocolate and it does smell like candy!
    2B ~ Lovin' it short again!
    Aloe 80 Shampoo & Conditioner, Shea Butter & Aveda Control Paste
    Fotki PW: swirlygirl
    Updated 7/13/08

swirlygirl wrote: »

Your hair is much longer (and curlier) than mine, so it's probably more prone to tangles. But, I do have a few thoughts for you...

- I've noticed I get more slip with the Lavender than the LCL or SS (but do get it with those too). I am actually out of the lavender and I miss it. Let us know if that makes a difference for you.

- I experimented with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] again a couple of times this week. I did not like the way my hair felt for a wash or two after. I don't think the wash did a great job removing it; I felt like I had to mini-detox again.

- My hair will tangle a bit if I try to use the wash like regular shampoo (massaging or moving my hair a lot). I try to smooth it on and rub it into my hair without moving my hair around too much. I don't know if that makes sense, but I notice the area up around my scalp is more prone to feel tangled since I scrub or rub more vigorously at my scalp. For me the tangles rinse/fall out when I rinse the wash, but I don't remember if they did in the very beginning.

- An acv rinse won't hurt. Go ahead and give it a shot. I also had decent luck using the body wash and acv rinse for my first wash. I don't know if you got a sample, but you could try that, too. I think it helps remove some of the gunk in the beginning. (Dr. Bonners or a poo bar or some other castile might serve a similar purpose.)

It will get better! I'm glad you liked the facial samples. Did you get the flower therapy? I ordered the full size lotion and I think I will go ahead and get the wash and toner with my next order. And I also love the lip balm. I got the orange chocolate and it does smell like candy!

Thanks, swirlygirl. I needed the encouragement.

- I will definitely try the Lavender wash next time. I did get a sample of the FF body wash, so I think I'm going to "start over" and use that & an acv rinse tonight.
    - That's interesting about the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], because I've pretty much been using that stuff exclusively since going CG. I wonder what's in it that the detox is having to pull out? I know [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] is not all-natural, but it doesn't have plastic polymers or hydrolyzed protein, which are the biggest offenders according to the TE website.
    - I understand what you mean about scrubbing at the scalp causing tangles. That's exactly what I did, and it was an absolute mess.

Does the body wash have any slip to it? I guess I'll find out tonight, but maybe I could use it to detangle my hair *before* I use the wash. But that might be overkill, too. After all the time and frustration it took lat night, I think it's worth it to try.

Oh, and I did get the flower therapy sample. I like that the regimen didn't dry out my skin, even with the toner, and that the lotion made my skin feel balanced out, not greasy or dry. There isn't enough product in the samples to determine whether or not it would work for my skin in the long term, but it may be an alternative to the PSF line, which I was considering.

I LOVE HENNA!
    We should start another thread for the TE skincare....I got a lip balm and love it along with the deodorant which I also like but am wondering about the cleanser and lotion.

Anyway...opera_curls, I'm sorry you are struggling with tangles. My hair is really short right now so I didn't have any real problem with tangles. I did do pretty much as swirlygirl described and kind of just smoothed it over my hair and then scrubbed just against my scalp for the most part. I also combed through my hair while I still had the cleanser on my hair and rinsed really well. I also used the oil they recommend after rinsing and kind of raked that through. I really didn't have any sense of gunk or build up being removed so I'm probably not a good example...although I love how my hair feels using this routine.

memes

opera_curls, how's your detox? Did you try the body wash? I saw you're ordering bars - are you feeling disappointed with the clay wash?
    Updated 7/13/08

opera_curls, how's your detox? Did you try the body wash? I saw you're ordering bars - are you feeling disappointed with the clay wash?

I did try the body wash & acv rinse the other night, but decided to hold off on posting again until after I washed with the clay again, so here I am.

Last night I used the Lavender clay wash (3 washes) and actually had some slip while detangling. I don't know if it was because of the body wash the night before, or because the Lavender has more slip, or a combo of the two. I scrunched some cocoa butter oil in my damp ends and let it air dry, then went to bed.

My hair today is... different. My roots/crown area is very soft and shiny, but there is absolutely no volume, and my curl pattern is looser and there are no clumps. My ends feel kinda dried out and stiff, despite the fact that I used the oil.

I'll admit I am a bit discouraged, but I am going to see this through the end, because I'm stubborn and I already bought the stuff! :tongue5: It seems like the people who used shampoo bars previous to the detox had an easier time with it. Also, I think I've been CG less time than the other detoxers, so it might just be that my hair still has some -cone residue and the like.

I would like to try shampoo bars once I'm finished with the detox, so I added one to my henna order to see how I like it. If it goes well, I'll try the CV bars because they're cheaper and most of everyone on this board seems to like them.

I LOVE HENNA!
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Opera curls, I used CV bars for a week exclusively before the detox, and today is day 4 with no problems. I've had very little of the problems that the others did other than a little bit of a plastic-y feel to my hair for a day or so. Now it's fine. :D
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll admit I am a bit discouraged, but I am going to see this through the end, because I'm stubborn and I already bought the stuff! :tongue5: It seems like the people who used shampoo bars previous to the detox had an easier time with it. Also, I think I've been CG less time than the other detoxers, so it might just be that my hair still has some -cone residue and the like.

Yes, give it time. I know misspam & I both got quite frustrated during our detox. Without the support and hearing how well it was working for others I might have given up somewhere around day 10 or 11. I had to learn a few different ways of working with my hair and ended up needing the FSG to help with clumping. Now, however, I think I can sometimes do okay without the FSG, using only the shea after it is dry, but that is a bit of a different look.

Our hair is very different from each others', so I know your experience will vary from mine. But I'm glad to hear you're going to stick with it! I also had less wave/curl in the very beginning before it got better.

HTH!!
    Updated 7/13/08

I quit. I had to cut out three matted little balls of hair after my shower this morning, and honestly, my hair has looked and felt like crap the past few days. I am happy for those of you who have had/are having success with this detox thing, but it's just not working on my hair, which is long-ish and tightly curled. I'll give it another try at some point, but right now it's not worth the half-hour showers, mud-spattered shower curtain, and limp, fuzzy hair with no life to it.

I LOVE HENNA!
    I quit. I had to cut out three matted little balls of hair after my shower this morning, and honestly, my hair has looked and felt like crap the past few days. I am happy for those of you who have had/are having success with this detox thing, but it's just not working on my hair, which is long-ish and tightly curled. I'll give it another try at some point, but right now it's not worth the half-hour showers, mud-spattered shower curtain, and limp, fuzzy hair with no life to it.

Sorry you had to cut your hair, opera_curls! :( I'm also sorry the detox didn't work out for you. I hope the poo bars work well with your hair and you find the simple, reliable routine you are looking for! :happy10:
    Updated 7/13/08

Ditto what Swirly girl said. :(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, give it time. I know misspam & I both got quite frustrated during our detox. Without the support and hearing how well it was working for others I might have given up somewhere around day 10 or 11. I had to learn a few different ways of working with my hair and ended up needing the FSG to help with clumping. Now, however, I think I can sometimes do okay without the FSG, using only the shea after it is dry, but that is a bit of a different look.

Our hair is very different from each others', so I know your experience will vary from mine. But I'm glad to hear you're going to stick with it! I also had less wave/curl in the very beginning before it got better.

HTH!!

So you guys still had some issues?

Today was day four for me, and after my hair dried it still had a plastic-y feel to it, and all I had in it was the cocoa butter oil and fsg. I am beginning to wonder if it's still the detox or if it's not the fsg instead. Not sure. I'll try it without it one day and see. It's still not bad, just feels funny, even though it's soft.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm very sorry to hear your TE detox did not work out. For me, it was not the easiest thing I have ever done, but with the support of swirlygirl and pigreyhound, I was able to reach the point where I was happy with the result. Like you said, at some point you can always try again and perhaps have success.

I think you can also achieve the detox result from the CV shampoo and soap bars. The TE clay hair wash is just another way to get there and everyone has to do what is best for them. I find now that I can alternate between the two and I love the results.

Good luck and keep us posted on your journey! :flower:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rymorg - Congratulations on day 4! Your hair will get better. In my opinion, your symptoms are due to the effects of the detox and they will disappear over time. I hit rock-bottom on days 9 and 10. By day 11 it was definitely better and continues to amaze me with the amount of curl and the softness.

One thing I do find interesting, is that I still need to scrunch out some crunch when using the cocoa butter oil and FSG. Once I do that, it is soft and the curls hold all day. Some days I just scrunch with no added product. Other days, I use a small amount of the ffmc or Jane Carter Nourish & Shine for scrunching.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    misspam wrote: »
    rymorg - Congratulations on day 4! Your hair will get better. In my opinion, your symptoms are due to the effects of the detox and they will disappear over time. I hit rock-bottom on days 9 and 10. By day 11 it was definitely better and continues to amaze me with the amount of curl and the softness.

One thing I do find interesting, is that I still need to scrunch out some crunch when using the cocoa butter oil and FSG. Once I do that, it is soft and the curls hold all day. Some days I just scrunch with no added product. Other days, I use a small amount of the ffmc or Jane Carter Nourish & Shine for scrunching.

Thanks! I just realized it was actually day 5 LOL. My detox hasn't been too bad overall. Just that plastic-y feel and my wave falling flat. I'll get through it. So by day 11 you were doing great huh? I'll remember that. Today should have been day 6 but I didn't feel well this morning so I skipped the wash. That's interesting about the crunch....I get some crunch with FSG too. Thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file