WHOO HOOO!!

pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
I am so excited!!! Ask and thou shalt receive!!

I could not understand what you all were babbling about on our detox thread!!!:blob7: (I actually went into work today to get ready for school in three weeks....I missed the debut!)

For those of you who don't know (although opera_curls did a wonderful job of links), this forum is a spin off of a detox that several of us started with Terressentials clay wash. We are now experimenting with all natural products for our hair.

I am so excited!!! I don't know what to say
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.

Comments

• misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    OMG! I'm so excited, my palms are sweaty!!!:laughing7:

So...you call that babbling? Gee, and we were trying to be nice. :wink:

Okay, so now what?????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    You all were wonderfully nice!! I am sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. When I pull up the responses, I usually just go to the last post, so I had no idea what you were all talking about!

I think we need to define All Natural.....I started a discussion of it on one of the other threads, but I think we need to hash this out. Otherwise this forum is going to end up belonging in the General Hair Forum, which really defeats our purpose.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

You all were wonderfully nice!! I am sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. When I pull up the responses, I usually just go to the last post, so I had no idea what you were all talking about!

I think we need to define All Natural.....I started a discussion of it on one of the other threads, but I think we need to hash this out. Otherwise this forum is going to end up belonging in the General Hair Forum, which really defeats our purpose.

I agree. So where should we start? Maybe we need to brainstorm....:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ok, ladies....we need to talk about what we mean by all natural. This is just to start off the discussion...

My initial thoughts are that if you can't identify an ingredient in a hair care product, it isn't natural. Kind of like what we should do with food labels.
    I think 100% organic is another level of natural.

But just because a product has natural products in it, doesn't make the product all natural. I am thinking that the MHC is all natural since I know exactly what is in it, even if I don't know where you would get essence of banana....But when I look at some of the other natural products in Curlmart, I don't recognize many of those ingredients and so wouldn't consider that all-natural. There are many products under the label "Pure and Natural" that I don't know if I would define as all natural.

Our goal is to use natural, recognizable ingredients on our hair. That was the point of the detox.
    What do you think?
    CG since '08.

I hate to sound like a broken record pigreyhound, but I agree completely. Below is a link to a thread from the 4a forum in which I posted my thoughts on "natural" ingredients and products.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=50541
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    But when I look at some of the other natural products in Curlmart, I don't recognize many of those ingredients and so wouldn't consider that all-natural. There are many products under the label "Pure and Natural" that I don't know if I would define as all natural.

Funny you should mention this! We've been revisiting our thoughts about the purpose of that CurlMart category and have made some changes. We'll also eagerly watch this forum to gather some of your thoughts.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Gretchen wrote: »
    Funny you should mention this! We've been revisiting our thoughts about the purpose of that CurlMart category and have made some changes. We'll also eagerly watch this forum to gather some of your thoughts.

That is interesting! I am not sure we know what we mean by natural yet, but hopefully we can come to some agreement. It is very hard to find all-natural products online, and I know it is because of the issues in manufacturing and product stability.
    CG since '08.

• swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 606Registered Users
    Well, I guess to me it is kind of like the discussion we had in that thread after I posted TE response to my email. Each of us have different reasons for wanting to be natural or organic and I think we all have varying ideas of what that means for us or "how far we'll go with it" so-to-speak.

In the end, the forum belongs to any and all who choose to post in it. A good intro might be what we've been up to and why you thought the activity on the detox thread justified a request for a new forum. It at least provides a reference point.

I like the idea of non-chemical, but not necessarily organic, but even that is going to have gray areas. I definitely agree with no parabens, sulfates, etc. From a health standpoint I would like to avoid the things mentioned on the pocket guide: parabens, petrochemicals, fragrance, coal tar. For me, since I have some endocrine issues, I think it is beneficial to avoid those suspected endocrine disruptors. In addition, since I've chosen to use the TE HW exclusively, I want to avoid things it might not be able to remove, simply to avoid build up as much or more than to be all natural or organic.

Clear as mud?!? :glasses9: What do you think?
    2B ~ Lovin' it short again!
    Aloe 80 Shampoo & Conditioner, Shea Butter & Aveda Control Paste
    Fotki PW: swirlygirl
    Updated 7/13/08

I agree. I like the idea of recognizable ingredients! I keep coming back to non-chemical. Organic is a plus, but it can be "organic" like AO and not be non-chemical.
    Updated 7/13/08

Swirlygirl --
    I think we are on the same page so it makes perfect sense to me. But again, we have been on this detox trip together!!!

Maybe one of the threads we could develop is finding natural options? We have terressentials, mhc, Karen's Body Beautiful....but it is hard to find products that fit what we are (ideally) hoping for.
    CG since '08.

Maybe one of the threads we could develop is finding natural options? We have terressentials, mhc, Karen's Body Beautiful....but it is hard to find products that fit what we are (ideally) hoping for.

Good idea. That seems to be where the detox thread was headed. I haven't checked out the link I posted earlier. Maybe we'll find some new things there. I also just bought some oil based eye makeup remover from a store called FutureNatural.com (I think). I was very impressed with their service and the product! I haven't looked around to see what they have for hair products.
    Updated 7/13/08

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Yep, there are some prods in the pure and natural category in Curlmart that I don't consider all natural either. I just have to be SOOOOO careful with ingredients it's difficult.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • orangeorange Posts: 176Registered Users
    I could not understand what you all were babbling about on our detox thread!!!:blob7: (I actually went into work today to get ready for school in three weeks....I missed the debut!)

it's hard to believe school will be here soon. i have to go set up the classroom also - and it's in a new school, so i haven't even seen it yet! :toothy7:

swirleygirl, that sounds like a good definition of all-natural (non-chemical). a lot of the products sold at natural food stores have chemicals at the end of the ingredients list (jane carter, for example). it would be great to find products that work just as well and are 100% all natural with no synthetic chemicals.

Orange -- are you excited about your new classroom? I have been in the same one for 10 years and I can't imagine needing to move! Although it might be best for the jumble of mess I have!!

Welcome!
    CG since '08.

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I'll probably lurk here because I can't commit to all natural. I don't do sulfates and silicones, but I like my PVPs and polymers for frizz control. I avoid parabens and petrochemicals as much as possible, but it's hard!

Anyway, I use Dr. Hauschka skin care. They are BDIH -certified which is one of the strictest labels for personal care products (no silicones, no sulfates, no petrochemicals, no parabens). If you look up BDIH, their requirements are along the lines of what you're talking about.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • MaybeWavyMaybeWavy Posts: 374Registered Users
    ok, so I just finished reading the whole flippin' 16 page thread in one swoop. My eyes are wonky.

A point re the organic issue...we looked into organic certification for our wheat farm-turns out USDA cert organic really means very little. The chems allowed are quite severe; It's sad. Oregon Tilth is somewhat better, but still not what a person (ok, what I) expect(s).

That being said-ya'll have my PJmonkey howling.

I just broke my self imposed product fast and bought the terresentials lavendar, lemon and spice, oil, and cream. Holy cats, that's on top of the KKCC and KKKT I just bought and haven't even recieved yet.

I'm hopeless. If it gives me curls it will be so worth it!
    2cFii-ish with 3a moments. Always subject to change.
    (\_/) This is Bunny.
    (O.0) Copy Bunny into your signature to help
    (> <) him on his way to world Domination.

I'm voting for Bunny.
    LoloDSM wrote: »
    Anyway, I use Dr. Hauschka skin care. They are BDIH -certified which is one of the strictest labels for personal care products (no silicones, no sulfates, no petrochemicals, no parabens). If you look up BDIH, their requirements are along the lines of what you're talking about.

Lolo, which products do you like? I tried Dr. H years ago, but might want to try it again now. My skin is much different than it was then. (more normal now, really oily & acne prone then)
    Updated 7/13/08

• OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    MaybeWavy wrote: »

I just broke my self imposed product fast and bought the terresentials lavendar, lemon and spice, oil, and cream. Holy cats, that's on top of the KKCC and KKKT I just bought and haven't even recieved yet.

I'm hopeless. If it gives me curls it will be so worth it!

I'm totally with you! I was going to hold off ALL beauty products until September, but that quickly deteriorated the moment I read about Terressentials. Welcome to the club :wink:
    http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    swirlygirl wrote: »

Lolo, which products do you like? I tried Dr. H years ago, but might want to try it again now. My skin is much different than it was then. (more normal now, really oily & acne prone then)

I use the Cleansing Milk as a make-up remover, the Cleansing Cream morning and night, Facial Toner, and either Rose Day Cream or Quince Day Cream. I just tried the Firming Mask and really liked it, but I'm not excited about spending $50 on face mask. Dr. Hauschka sells a trial kit for $20 which helped me decide what I liked.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
    swirlygirl wrote: »

I use the Cleansing Milk as a make-up remover, the Cleansing Cream morning and night, Facial Toner, and either Rose Day Cream or Quince Day Cream. I just tried the Firming Mask and really liked it, but I'm not excited about spending $50 on face mask. Dr. Hauschka sells a trial kit for $20 which helped me decide what I liked.

Thanks! I did notice they have a trial kit. I'm going to see if they have the trial kit at my local Whole Foods - they've got a pretty extensive beauty isle after their most recent remodel. I know they sell the regular size, just not sure about the trial.

I like the Terressentials flower therapy skin care, but not sure about using castile with my moderately hard water. The toner helps, but I'm still wanting to explore a few options before I order the full sizes...
    Updated 7/13/08

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file