all-natural/organic hair & body care info

OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
okay, so it seems there are a lot of questions about what this new forum is all about. Here are some articles that the detox divas and I found very informative and useful when deciding to try all-natural hair care.

http://www.terressentials.com/greenstandard1.html

http://www.terressentials.com/ingredientguide.html

http://www.terressentials.com/faq.html

tada! HTH
http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
I LOVE HENNA!

Comments

• swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 606Registered Users
    Okay, we were trying to hold out to let pigreyhound post first because she requested the forum, but I just can't stand it anymore. :tongue5:

I got this in my email yesterday...
    http://www.idealbite.com/pocketguides/beauty/Pocket-Beauty-Guide.pdf.

And this one today...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - GREEN BEAUTY & LIFESTYLE.

Organic Beauty View delivers you the latest in trends, stylish brands and savvy surveillance from the modern side of organic & natural beauty ::
    July 29th, 2008 - OBV launched yesterday to provide beauty lovers with the scoop on cutting-edge intel, product reviews, interviews, trend alerts and more - all from the fashion-forward, future thinking side of green beauty.

• Want to change to organic & natural beauty products but have no idea where to start?
    • Want to know what brands and products are as good (if not better!) than their conventional counterparts?
    • Want to be kept up to the minute with the latest, hottest, best arrivals on the scene?
    • Want savvy, honest product reviews from beauty experts with 20yrs experience in fashion & beauty?
    • Want to know all those tips & tricks for greening your beauty routine without sacrifice?
    In celebration of our launch we’re giving away a gorgeous stash of organic & natural beauty goodies valued at $200.00. All you have to do is subscribe to our updates at www.organicbeautyview.com and voila – you’re in the draw (promise we won’t spam you or share your info – this is strictly between us)! We’ll select one lucky winner on August 30th and will notify you by email.
    If you think this is something your girlfriends, family or work colleagues would want to know about or you have any beauty addicts in your midst, by all means pass the word on. The more people who share, the more empowered we all are to be our most gorgeous & healthy selves.
    2B ~ Lovin' it short again!
    Aloe 80 Shampoo & Conditioner, Shea Butter & Aveda Control Paste
    Fotki PW: swirlygirl
    Updated 7/13/08

• OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    ooooh, thanks for the link, swirlygirl!

I liked your post in the conditioner thread "at the risk of sounding like I work for them..." it made me laugh :laughing7:

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    What a great link! Thanks for the post, swirlygirl.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Thanks swirlygirl. Both links are great, I especially like the pocket guide. I'm going to pass those out to friends of mine who are interested in this whole concept. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ooooh, thanks for the link, swirlygirl!

I liked your post in the conditioner thread "at the risk of sounding like I work for them..." it made me laugh :laughing7:

You're welcome. Thanks for the laugh. :laughing7::laughing7:

You bet! Where've you been hiding, pigreyhound? Were you boycotting posting first? :laughing7::toothy7::laughing7:
    misspam wrote: »
    Thanks swirlygirl. Both links are great, I especially like the pocket guide. I'm going to pass those out to friends of mine who are interested in this whole concept. :)

Good idea, misspam. IdealBite is great! I get short daily emails with awesome links to all kinds of green things. There were some other awedome pocket guides not beauty related.
    Updated 7/13/08

swirlygirl wrote: »

You bet! Where've you been hiding, pigreyhound? Were you boycotting posting first? :laughing7::toothy7::laughing7:

NO! I missed the debut! I am a teacher and we start up next semester in a couple weeks, so I went into work to gear up! And I missed it!!!
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

swirlygirl wrote: »

Where've you been hiding, pigreyhound? Were you boycotting posting first? :laughing7::toothy7::laughing7:

NO! I missed the debut! I am a teacher and we start up next semester in a couple weeks, so I went into work to gear up! And I missed it!!!

Well, know you were missed! We really, really tried to wait for you. :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: You can see that with the last "few" posts on the detox thread. :wink:

Thanks again for requesting the forum! The detox thread was getting overwhelming. I also had the thought it might be a bit intimidating for any new people interested - way too much to read!
    Updated 7/13/08

I am excited, but a little daunted by trying to define our terms! We knew what we were doing on the detox thread, and it made sense to us, but now I am not sure how to proceed.
    CG since '08.

I am excited, but a little daunted by trying to define our terms! We knew what we were doing on the detox thread, and it made sense to us, but now I am not sure how to proceed.

Well, I guess to me it is kind of like the discussion we had in that thread after I posted TE response to my email. Each of us have different reasons for wanting to be natural or organic and I think we all have varying ideas of what that means for us or "how far we'll go with it" so-to-speak.

In the end, the forum belongs to any and all who choose to post in it. A good intro might be what we've been up to and why you thought the activity on the detox thread justified a request for a new forum. It at least provides a reference point.

I like the idea of non-chemical, but not necessarily organic, but even that is going to have gray areas. I definitely agree with no parabens, sulfates, etc. From a health standpoint I would like to avoid the things mentioned on the pocket guide: parabens, petrochemicals, fragrance, coal tar. For me, since I have some endocrine issues, I think it is beneficial to avoid those suspected endocrine disruptors. In addition, since I've chosen to use the TE HW exclusively, I want to avoid things it might not be able to remove, simply to avoid build up as much or more than to be all natural or organic.

Clear as mud?!? :glasses9: What do you think?

ETA: Going to cut and paste this in the brainstorming/defining thread. Guess I missed it, lol.
    Updated 7/13/08

Ok, so something you said about buildup (you were talking about chemical/cone buildup) made me think about a question I had...

I am getting what feels like buildup from the MHC, I think. I am not sure if that is where it is coming from, since it could still be my hair having trouble after the highlight.

Would honey build up??? I need to check the other ingredients in the MHC.
    CG since '08.

Ok, so something you said about buildup (you were talking about chemical/cone buildup) made me think about a question I had...

I am getting what feels like buildup from the MHC, I think. I am not sure if that is where it is coming from, since it could still be my hair having trouble after the highlight.

Would honey build up??? I need to check the other ingredients in the MHC.

I don't know which ingredient it is, but I did notice my hair feeling heavier after using the mask. In fact, it wasn't as slippery when I washed for a few days after (still a little affected, I think). Also, the smell still lingered on day 2 and a tiny bit on day 3. There is definitely something that stays in the hair! I feel like I'm doing a mini-detox again, but it's not bad.
    Updated 7/13/08

It's funny you guys should mention the MHC [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/MYHoneyChild-HoneyHair-Mask-p-349.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=myhoneychild-honey-hair-mask]Honey Hair Mask[/buylink]. We all did it the same day, didn't we? My hair has been feeling a little coated ever since. That's why today I did one Terressentials hair wash and one 60 minute mask. My hair still does not feel quite right today.

I'm not quite sure what the offending ingredient is, though. Perhaps the mysterious Honey Essence Oil??? :laughing7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's funny you guys should mention the MHC [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/MYHoneyChild-HoneyHair-Mask-p-349.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=myhoneychild-honey-hair-mask]Honey Hair Mask[/buylink]. We all did it the same day, didn't we? My hair has been feeling a little coated ever since. That's why today I did one Terressentials hair wash and one 60 minute mask. My hair still does not feel quite right today.

I'm not quite sure what the offending ingredient is, though. Perhaps the mysterious Honey Essence Oil??? :laughing7:

Yes, peer pressure!! My hair hasn't been the same since. :( But I know it's temporary and will eventualy detox again.

Maybe it is that honey essence oil. :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: Is that mineral oil mixed with honey? :toothy7:
    Updated 7/13/08

I don't know... let's google it and come back to compare notes. This might not be good. :sad8:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm sorry, but I think this is hilarious, only because I can totally visualize an innocent curly girl walking through the forest.... and ending up with a raccoon on her head! :laughing7:

But in all seriousness, that is pretty lame. I'm baffled by the fact that MHC would do that. Lame lame lame.

I LOVE HENNA!
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I get build up at the drop of a hat. At first I thought it was hard water. It doesn't matter what I use eventually it builds up. Now I think it's just my hair. I have a filter on my shower for gosh sake!!!!!

OMG :blob7::toothy7: about the raccoon and bear!!!!! I can see them getting into our hair stuff!!!!!!! :D
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I know. :laughing7::laughing7: After I was able to contain my laughter, I started getting real peeved!!!

That explains the over-powering scent that lingers for days and almost made me gag. My dad used to hunt for bear years ago, and I remember sometimes they would use strong scents to attract them.

Obviously, attracting wildlife is not the goal I had in mind when purchasing MHC. The more I think about it, I feel kinda angry and more than a little deceived and ripped off!

Sorry, I'm done venting.....:sad8:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Vent away Misspam.....

I'm actually kinda glad that you guys have shared your experiences with MHC and the honey mask. It's been very informative for me and made me rething purchasing some things from there, although there are other things I'll still get, like my type 2 cream probably. Thanks for sharing anyway.....but Ikwym about feeling ripped off.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I know. :laughing7::laughing7: After I was able to contain my laughter, I started getting real peeved!!!

That explains the over-powering scent that lingers for days and almost made me gag. My dad used to hunt for bear years ago, and I remember sometimes they would use strong scents to attract them.

Obviously, attracting wildlife is not the goal I had in mind when purchasing MHC. The more I think about it, I feel kinda angry and more than a little deceived and ripped off!

Sorry, I'm done venting.....:sad8:

EWWWWWWW!!!!!! Why didn't I just sit back and watch!?! It is pretty funny, though!

At least it is written on the jar. She probably doesn't expect people to know what it is! Maybe we should drop a note to the TE people since they made us wonder...Did you find banana essence oil, too?

Nice searching, misspam!

ETA: banana is listed as a pleasant orchard like fragrance. (EATA: And the other site says good for coon and skunk. I am starting to get a pretty good laugh at this. It really wasn't my imagination that I still smelled it today!!!)

I wonder what is "in" them or what kind of oil is used for the base. All told there is probably not a whole lot in each product.
    Updated 7/13/08

I'm certain I would not have found this nearly as amusing if I had been the one to shell out the dough for MHC and find out after the fact... but that's not the case, so I am still laughing :laughing7:

I LOVE HENNA!
    I'm certain I would not have found this nearly as amusing if I had been the one to shell out the dough for MHC and find out after the fact... but that's not the case, so I am still laughing :laughing7:

Thank goodness we're not out camping. Now that in a way is kind of scary!!! :evil1:

And they weren't too expensive, so I don't feel too bad about that, but I do want it all out of my hair!! :laughing7::cry::laughing7:
    Updated 7/13/08

Created a crazy thread out of what started to be a thread with informative links. And now look at us...we're talking about trapping bear, coons and skunk! :laughing7: This is some trip we're on!
    Updated 7/13/08

This is interesting! And since I live in the wilds of Maine, I am going to have to be careful!!! Wouldn't want a bear or raccoon jumping on my head.

Well, that will teach us to be more careful about our ingredients! I wonder, however, if these are also listed in soapmaking websites. She might not be buying them from the local Bear Hunters R Us.

Well, now I am going to have to check the ingredients on all my MHC stuff. I don't think it is in all the products.
    CG since '08.

I found this on the web....I am trying to make myself feel a bit better, at least about the intentions of using an ingredient....

Honey absolute is sometimes referred to as honey essential oil and it is so rare and so expensive that it is usually never mentioned in aromatherapy books. Many online aromatherapy supply shops will not carry it. And with the worldwide shortage of honeybees, the cost of honey is going through the roof and will probably further reduce the availability of honey for making honey essential oil or absolute. Unlike many other essential oils, honey oil will not blend with other oils. It is a solo performer. You cannot use it straight from the bottle – it needs to be diluted in alcohol (if it is 100% pure) and then warmed.
    CG since '08.

I found this on the web....I am trying to make myself feel a bit better, at least about the intentions of using an ingredient....

Honey absolute is sometimes referred to as honey essential oil and it is so rare and so expensive that it is usually never mentioned in aromatherapy books. Many online aromatherapy supply shops will not carry it. And with the worldwide shortage of honeybees, the cost of honey is going through the roof and will probably further reduce the availability of honey for making honey essential oil or absolute. Unlike many other essential oils, honey oil will not blend with other oils. It is a solo performer. You cannot use it straight from the bottle – it needs to be diluted in alcohol (if it is 100% pure) and then warmed.

I found that, too, then I had to get off the computer for a bit. When I came back, misspam had done a great job of finding the essence oil versus essential oil. I wonder how they are different or related?
    Updated 7/13/08

Yes, I found the same references. In my mind, honey essential oil and honey essence oil are completely different, and it's not looking too good for the latter. :sad8:

I equate "essence" with "facsimile". It may look, smell, even taste like the real thing, but it is completely different from the original. In this case honey.

I don't think either the honey or banana essence oil is in any of the other MHC products I have. But I do intend to proceed with caution before applying anymore of those products to my hair. I do not like the coated feeling I got and an still trying to get rid of since the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/MYHoneyChild-HoneyHair-Mask-p-349.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=myhoneychild-honey-hair-mask]Honey Hair Mask[/buylink] disaster. :evil1:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • orangeorange Posts: 176Registered Users
    That doesn't sound too good. I've got some MHC products on their way, including the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/MYHoneyChild-HoneyHair-Mask-p-349.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=myhoneychild-honey-hair-mask]honey hair mask[/buylink]. so there's no real honey in the product?!? :( should have checked the ingredients first. oh well, i guess you have to try out a lot of products to find the ones that work, and it definitely helps to have a whole bunch of people sharing their product recommendations here. i'll post what i think of the other MHC products after they get here.

orange wrote: »
    That doesn't sound too good. I've got some MHC products on their way, including the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/MYHoneyChild-HoneyHair-Mask-p-349.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=myhoneychild-honey-hair-mask]honey hair mask[/buylink]. so there's no real honey in the product?!? :( should have checked the ingredients first. oh well, i guess you have to try out a lot of products to find the ones that work, and it definitely helps to have a whole bunch of people sharing their product recommendations here. i'll post what i think of the other MHC products after they get here.

There is real honey. She lists raw unfiltered honey as the first ingredient. The honey essence oil is listed next to last. Last is grape seed oil. The amount of the essence oils is probably pretty small and likely used for fragrance, but for me it lingered a little too long.

I think the herbal hair tonic also had the honey essence and the type 2 cream has the banana essence, but I'd need to double check for sure.

The coated feeling is probably not much different from any other conditioner after being detoxed. I hate to totally rag on MHC. I did get decent curl, but also a lingering something in my hair. I had gotten used to my hair with next to nothing in or on it.

Maybe someone should ask her about it...thoughts?
    Updated 7/13/08

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file