"Cones" 101

HoneycombHoneycomb Posts: 400Registered Users
I've read so much about how some curlies view "Cones" as the devil.

Could you ladies that stay away from them please give a break-down as to why you don't use them and the harm that they can do to some natural hair. I think this will help newbies and also it will help me, because I'm not quite sure as to the harm they can do.

Please give your experiences with "cones" whether positive or negative, or please tell why you avoid hair products with "cones" in them like the plague.

ETA: Please list products that are beneficial to your hair that are free or virtually free of "cone":wink:
Natural since Oct. 2002. BC for the 3rd time in July 2008. 5-7" of natural 4a hair.

My pics:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=4tcfcwu.136flti6&Uy=w74a9e&Ux=0

Comments

• preciousjewel76preciousjewel76 Posts: 679Registered Users Curl Novice
    Honeycomb wrote: »

Could you ladies that stay away from them please give a break-down as to why you don't use them and the harm that they can do to some natural hair. I think this will help newbies and also it will help me, because I'm not quite sure as to the harm they can do.

Please give your experiences with "cones" whether positive or negative, or please tell why you avoid hair products with "cones" in them like the plague.

I think 'cones definitely have their place - they're a must for those who want to heat-style/straighten their hair. However, for me, I find that they tend to build up on my hair over time and leave it feeling dried out. My hair is relatively fine (but there's a lot of it), so cone-laden stuff tends to make it feel weighed-down and icky. Actually, castor oil tends to do the same thing to my hair, and that's not a "bad" product at all! I'm not strictly CG....I use a low-poo (coco betaine shampoo) sometimes, and the occasional water-soluble cone. However, I prefer to use products that will wash out with conditioner or a low-poo. I'm just more comfortable using "lighter" products on my hair, and my hair seems to agree with this philosophy. I've actually been following this routine for almost 2 years now, even before I went natural, and my hair is much healthier for it.

To sum up, I don't think all cones are not evil. Depending on your hair style, or if you need tons of slip for detangling, they can be the best things ever. I just prefer not to use them regularly.
    4A - dense, medium strands - APL/BSL - 3+ years natural!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
  • HoneycombHoneycomb Posts: 400Registered Users
    Thanks for your response Preciousjewel.
    Natural since Oct. 2002. BC for the 3rd time in July 2008. 5-7" of natural 4a hair.

My pics:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=4tcfcwu.136flti6&Uy=w74a9e&Ux=0
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    I don't avoid all cones...but generally the ones that are not water-soluble to avoid buildup since I don't use sulfates. When I initially found this site, I remember reading this thread about the "no poo" method and there's also an article specifically about silicones which details the ones that are water soluble and the ones that are not.

Based on the fact that my hair was hard, dry and crispy throughout my 17 month transition...I attribute that to the use of silicones, mineral oil and sulfates and figured that these wouldn't work as well on my natural hair so I eliminated them. That's really the only way I can compare my hair with and without cones :-)

As for mineral oil...I used Miss Jessies for about two months when I was newly natural and my hair was in the worst shape ever because of buildup - very dry, little curl definition, crispy and lifeless. I didn't realize the product had mineral oil (because it was listed as paraffinum liquidum) and I was only co-washing. When I stopped using it, my hair bounced back. I wonder if repeated use of cones would have the same effect on my hair?

I do however use non-water soluable cones when I straighten to protect from heat damage.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got great results from cones, but the buildup was terrible. It left my hair all frazzly looking and then when I tried to shampoo the stuff out everytime I would use it (to avoid buildup) the shampoo would leech my hair dry. So, i've been trying to avoid them. I do still use fantasia IC on occasion, though I think it's water soluble cone.
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
    I really appreciate the responses, and pls forgive me for sounding "cone illiterate", but how do you know what water soluable cones are? This question coming from a person who has no knowledge of cones whatsoever:dontknow:.

My pics:

• missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    I really appreciate the responses, and pls forgive me for sounding "cone illiterate", but how do you know what water soluable cones are? This question coming from a person who has no knowledge of cones whatsoever:dontknow:.

honeycomb...just click the silicones article link in my original post.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
    Thanks missmonie, I totally overlooked that!!! Off to read :).

My pics:

The article did help, thanks missmonie, I'm going to have to start paying more attention to my hair products.

My pics:

• Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You know...my hair is really funny. In the summer, I'm completely CG and avoid all cones. But in the winter, my hair NEEDS the cones to protect it from the harsh cold weather.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • hautecocoahautecocoa Posts: 258Registered Users
    I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this cone thing...so basically you can use cones if you wash them out with a shampoo that contains sls or coca betaine? For people who do use cones how often do you shampoo out? I'm thinking once a week should suffice? Is a shampoo with only coca betaine and not sls less harsh? I noticed that [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]Kinky Curly Come Clean[/buylink] and the Giovanni shampoos contain that. Will apple cider vinegar rinsing wash out cones?
    "I'd love to kiss you, but I just washed my hair." Bette Davis, Cabin in the Cotton

~mix of 4a/b??
    ~my only staples are TJ Nourish (for cowash/detangling) & Lush henna (bc it's pre-mixed). everything else is still up in the air...
    hautecocoa wrote: »
    I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this cone thing...so basically you can use cones if you wash them out with a shampoo that contains sls or coca betaine? For people who do use cones how often do you shampoo out? I'm thinking once a week should suffice? Is a shampoo with only coca betaine and not sls less harsh? I noticed that [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]Kinky Curly Come Clean[/buylink] and the Giovanni shampoos contain that. Will apple cider vinegar rinsing wash out cones?

Yes, you can remove 'cones with an SLS or coco-betaine shampoo. However, these types of shampoos can dry out the hair, leaving your curls frizzy. That is why so many people avoid 'cones - the process to remove them can be harsh. Plus, 'cones can build up on your hair over time, blocking moisture from your strands.

Coco-betaine 'poos can be considered less harsh than ones with SLS. Apple cider vinegar can't remove 'cones, although it can help remove other types of product buildup (like oils).

Once a week shampooing may be OK for preventing 'cone buildup....but there is no hard and fast answer. It kind of depends on how well your hair can tolerate 'cones. They build up faster on some people's hair than others.

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!

Yes, you can remove 'cones with an SLS or coco-betaine shampoo. However, these types of shampoos can dry out the hair, leaving your curls frizzy. That is why so many people avoid 'cones - the process to remove them can be harsh. Plus, 'cones can build up on your hair over time, blocking moisture from your strands.

Coco-betaine 'poos can be considered less harsh than ones with SLS. Apple cider vinegar can't remove 'cones, although it can help remove other types of product buildup (like oils).

Once a week shampooing may be OK for preventing 'cone buildup....but there is no hard and fast answer. It kind of depends on how well your hair can tolerate 'cones. They build up faster on some people's hair than others.

Ahhhh I see now! Thank you for the insight. I know some people avoid cones, but I don't see how. It seems like it's in everything available at the drugstore and even Whole Foods. The way I soak up conditioner and styling creams I can't afford to order everything online.
    "I'd love to kiss you, but I just washed my hair." Bette Davis, Cabin in the Cotton

~mix of 4a/b??
    ~my only staples are TJ Nourish (for cowash/detangling) & Lush henna (bc it's pre-mixed). everything else is still up in the air...
    Ahhhh I see now! Thank you for the insight. I know some people avoid cones, but I don't see how. It seems like it's in everything available at the drugstore and even Whole Foods. The way I soak up conditioner and styling creams I can't afford to order everything online.

There's a lot of 'cone free stuff out there...products from Giovanni, Abba, Jane Carter, John Masters, etc. Just make sure to read the ingredients!

There's a lot of 'cone free stuff out there...products from Giovanni, Abba, Jane Carter, John Masters, etc. Just make sure to read the ingredients!

I had good luck with cone free conditioners for co-washing and detangling, but not deep conditioners or curl cremes as of yet :-(

~mix of 4a/b??
    I had good luck with cone free conditioners for co-washing and detangling, but not deep conditioners or curl cremes as of yet :-(

Aubrey's Organics conditioners can be used as DTs. And I just picked up Vigorol Curls Curling Creme today at CVS; it's cone-free (posted a thread about it, too). I think Bioterra Curl Creme is cone-free; it can be purchased at Sally's. There are lots of posts in the General Discussion/Product Review boards raving about it. I've never tried it, though.

Aubrey's Organics conditioners can be used as DTs. And I just picked up Vigorol Curls Curling Creme today at CVS; it's cone-free (posted a thread about it, too). I think Bioterra Curl Creme is cone-free; it can be purchased at Sally's. There are lots of posts in the General Discussion/Product Review boards raving about it. I've never tried it, though.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've never seen Vigorol or Bioterra but I will look for it...I was planning to walk over to Whole Foods at lunch to pick up the Alba Soft Hold Cream...have you tried it?

~mix of 4a/b??
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've never seen Vigorol or Bioterra but I will look for it...I was planning to walk over to Whole Foods at lunch to pick up the Alba Soft Hold Cream...have you tried it?

Nope, haven't tried it...I a PJ in the making, but there's still so much out there I haven't tried, LOL.

BTW, apparently the Vigorol creme is hard to find. I found it at the CVS near my job, but I haven't seen it at other CVS stores. Bioterra is a "house brand" at Sally Beauty Supply.

• MissKinkyCoilyMissKinkyCoily Posts: 827Registered Users

I use cones when I straighten to help keep my style. When its time to wash, I use a sulfate to remove them. Then I go back to being curly and modified cg. This seems to be working for me because I havent noticed any build up. However, it might be affecting my moisture levels and curl pattern. I do notice more definition when I go along time w/o straying from cg.
    5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS
    :wav:

Last Relaxer: August 2003
    Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/ : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg

Nope, haven't tried it...I a PJ in the making, but there's still so much out there I haven't tried, LOL.

BTW, apparently the Vigorol creme is hard to find. I found it at the CVS near my job, but I haven't seen it at other CVS stores. Bioterra is a "house brand" at Sally Beauty Supply.

So I got the Bioterra from Sally's at lunch :wink: and I noticed it there's something called "linalool". Do you know what that is??

~mix of 4a/b??

I use cones when I straighten to help keep my style. When its time to wash, I use a sulfate to remove them. Then I go back to being curly and modified cg. This seems to be working for me because I havent noticed any build up. However, it might be affecting my moisture levels and curl pattern. I do notice more definition when I go along time w/o straying from cg.

So what is modified CG exactly? Do you only use water soluble cones?

~mix of 4a/b??

I'm going to try going strictly CG for at least a week to see if I see a difference in my hair.

~mix of 4a/b??

I had no idea that "cones" build up on your hair and block moisture. The deal with cones is finally sinking in. I just hate to experiment with so many products to find what gives me the most moisture and keep my hair as healthy as possible. I do not want to become a product junkie, my first year as a natural almost broke me, not trying to go down that road again.

My pics:

So what is modified CG exactly? Do you only use water soluble cones?

Strictly CG = no shampoo, only conditioner washes, no cones whatsoever
    Modified CG = occasionally use shampoo, may or may not use cones (from what I can tell)

• Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

When I am using cones, I shampoo about 1x a week with a sls free poo that contains coco betaine and 1x a month with an sls poo. For my hair, this is enough to prevent prodcut build up. When I am on a modified CG routine (spring and fall) then I use some modified cones that are water soluable and some regular cones. I use the same shampoo schedule as above.

I was under the impression that ACV rinses did not remove cones.....

12459237.png

I had no idea that "cones" build up on your hair and block moisture. The deal with cones is finally sinking in. I just hate to experiment with so many products to find what gives me the most moisture and keep my hair as healthy as possible. I do not want to become a product junkie, my first year as a natural almost broke me, not trying to go down that road again.

It's not just the cones building up...its also the use of harsh sls poos to remove those cones that causes a lot of problems for us curlies.

You don't have to spend a lot of money ordering products online. I'm on a No online product routine and have been for the last 2 years. The only thing that I purchase online is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence MBC[/buylink]....every thing else I can get in the BSS that I use. Like you, my first year, I spent waaaaaayyyy too much money ordering products. Not only that, my hair is really thick and it sucks up products. So stuff that lasts most people like a month, only lasts me about 2weeks. I was using a LOT of product which ment I was spending a LOT of money. Now, I just go to my BSS (sally's Ulta or the ethnic ones) and shop for products. You would be surprised at how many good products are out there that you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for!

12459237.png

It's not just the cones building up...its also the use of harsh sls poos to remove those cones that causes a lot of problems for us curlies.

You don't have to spend a lot of money ordering products online. I'm on a No online product routine and have been for the last 2 years. The only thing that I purchase online is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence MBC[/buylink]....every thing else I can get in the BSS that I use. Like you, my first year, I spent waaaaaayyyy too much money ordering products. Not only that, my hair is really thick and it sucks up products. So stuff that lasts most people like a month, only lasts me about 2weeks. I was using a LOT of product which ment I was spending a LOT of money. Now, I just go to my BSS (sally's Ulta or the ethnic ones) and shop for products. You would be surprised at how many good products are out there that you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for!

Thanks NCC!! That [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence MBC[/buylink] sounds pretty good. My curls have been looking limp lately, I need to bring some life back into them. I'm gonna get serious about this CG routine, and watching for the cones that are harmful.

My pics:

Another question, please help!!!

What ingredients should I be looking for to avoid cones? I know words that end in "one", but are there hidden words? Is there a list somewhere of the ingredients to avoid if you want to avoid products with harmful cones in them?

Thank yall :flower:.

My pics:

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    when i first did my BC i hadnt found this site or any other hair sites yet. i was using all the "bad" products, but my hair looked and felt great. once i found this site, i didnt stop using the products that i hadnt finished because they were working for me. but at some point my hair just looked frazzled. it was because the buildup of cones had finally set in. i went on a strictly cg hair routine and things changed and my hair went back to looking great. on occasion i use redken products and they have silicones in them, but usually after im finished with my redken kick, i clarify my hair. now im on a modified cg routine. i dont ever need to use products with cones when i straighten though. but since i know my hair is in good shape, i dont worry so much about using a product with cones or sls once in a while because its not going to turn my hair into shambles after just one use.
  • celeste821celeste821 Posts: 348Registered Users Curl Neophyte

ETA: Please list products that are beneficial to your hair that are free or virtually free of "cone":wink:

This also speaks about cones, or "hair polish"

http://www.ubhpublications.com/hairTips/HairPolishA.html#10
  • celeste821celeste821 Posts: 348Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I cowash but when I use cones I will use the harsher shampoos about once a month and a do a deep condition when I do that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file