CurlTalk

Images of Real Women (adult, non-sexual)

EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
I found this site (NWS) a few days ago, and wanted to share it. It's a series of photographs of women of all different ages, shapes, and sizes, posing all over NYC. All the women are topless (which is legal there), and the photos are not intended to be erotic. There are women with small breasts, large breasts, lopsided breasts, implants, and breasts that were reconstructed after double-mastectomies. Some of the women offer commentary.

In a lot of countries, straight women (and gay men) are only likely to see topless women in movies, magazines, and strip clubs. I think this is an interesting chance to see everyday people in everyday settings--ribs, rolls, stretchmarks, and all.

EDIT: No, I'm not criticizing women who don't want to pose topless, or who wear headscarves :roll: I certainly wouldn't want to be topless in public, what with digital cameras and the internet!

Comments

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    I can't look at the link [@ work] but I saw a guy on a bike the other day who should, legally, be required to wear a shirt. Especially while riding a bike. His man boobs were no different from most women's.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    ^^^
    There are actually quite a few topless men in those photos, too. The subtext is, "Why should women's bodies be sexualized in a way that men's bodies aren't?"
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    I totally agree with the premise. Every time I see a dude with no shirt on, I think what a ridiculous double standard it is.

But, that said, there are some bodies I would just rather not see!

However, I support people's rights to dress however they want to. I will just avert my eyes, as I did with bike man.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    The woman with her breasts resting on her laptop keyboard is funny to me for some reason.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    So what is the point of this? Just curious.
    As I mentioned, the point is that women's bodies are sexualized in a way that men's bodies aren't. Why should someone be offended at the sight of female nipples, but not male ones? Why do breasts play such a big role in women's self-perception?
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    As I mentioned, the point is that women's bodies are sexualized in a way that men's bodies aren't. Why should someone be offended at the sight of female nipples, but not male ones? Why do breasts play such a big role in women's self-perception?

I totally agree.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    I have seen those before, I love them. The one where the woman talks about losing her breast to cancer and she has a tattoo of I think a butterfly where her nipple was,
    I tried so hard to get my cousin to do that. She was getting a nipple tattooed back on her reconstructed breast and I said EVERYONE has 2 nipples, some even have 3, don't you want something different?? Sadly, she didn't, now she has two nipples, just like everyone else. To each their own.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    It's legal to be topless in NYC? Huh. Learn something new every day.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    The image of the woman surrounded by dark-suited men on Wall Street scared me. She seemed so vulnerable.

I thought all the women looked great, frankly. It's male breasts I generally find horrifying.

But.......greasing a butt? What?!
    I was looking through the pictures and ran across this one: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jordanmatter.com%2Fexhibits%2Fbroadband%2Fnudes_01%2F055_42nd_street.jpg" class="Popup I had to laugh out loud because my first thought was, "Dang she has great curls." :laughing7:
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    that's a cool site. those are some good shots.

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

I was a little disappointed in the lack of diversity, but overall liked the pictures and the comments that went with them.

Look at the adult/boy in the right side of this picture. :laughing7: It kind of highlights societies view that boobs are only sexual and should be covered up.

750_bottom_photo-_jeremy_saladyga.jpg
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    More than a mouthful is a waste :toothy7:
    lotsa nice boobies...

0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• BiancaBianca Posts: 2,492Registered Users
    It's legal to be topless in NYC because it's legal for a man to be topless. But you can't expose anything below the waist man or woman.

I love the picture of the pregnant women in the summer shower. That's great.
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

+ TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow, those photos are very beautiful and empowering.

It made me really sad that so many of these women feel such agony over their perceived flaws. It also makes me furious that the actress and the model where told to lose weight when they were stunning and perfect looking to me. Until the people with the power in those situations (agents, art directors, managers, designers) stop pushing such ridiculous standards on these women things will not change.

Thanks so much for posting this!
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Beautiful! Thanks for posting.
    I too was saddened by the women who had issues with their bodies.
    After 2 babies and needing to lose weight, I'd love to be like Maggie and Jizane :)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jordanmatter.com%2Fview.asp%3Furl%3D%2Fexhibits%2Fbroadband%2Fnudes_01%2F200_maggie_and_jizanne.jpg%26amp%3Bid%3D200_m%26amp%3Bpath%3D%2Fexhibits%2Fbroadband%2Fnudes_01" class="Popup
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs29.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc252%2Fwavezncurlz%2Fhair%2F" class="Popup
    password: curlzorwavez
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users

Butts of either gender aren't necessarily sexual, but we cover those up also. I am not offended at the sight of female breasts, but I won't be displaying mine in public anytime soon. Does covering them up mean I feel my breasts aren't adequate or that I'm repressed? Hell no...I think I have great breasts. I'm just not into giving free shows.
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users

Butts of either gender aren't necessarily sexual, but we cover those up also. I am not offended at the sight of female breasts, but I won't be displaying mine in public anytime soon. Does covering them up mean I feel my breasts aren't adequate or that I'm repressed? Hell no...I think I have great breasts. I'm just not into giving free shows.

I tend to agree.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    Me too. I will admit to not having adequate boobs (:cry:), but even if I did - I'd like to keep them private. :)
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    Scarlet wrote: »

I tend to agree.

Same here. Men and women are not the same and female breasts are different to me than men's breasts.

Another point for those of you who think that covering one's hair is repressive(which it is if it's forced) - most women who cover their hair by choice also make the same point as RCW about not showing their assets.
    I think the more recent posts in this thread are moving waaaay beyond anything I wrote. I'm not calling anyone "repressed" for not wanting to let'em fly free.

I just think that it's a revealing (no pun intended) difference in the way that men and women are generally viewed in the US and other cultures. Men and women both have this feature. In one sex, they're "decorative." In another sex, they can be functional. Yet in which sex are breasts sexualized? Of course this isn't an original observation. But it's relevant to the photos.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    "Same here. Men and women are not the same and female breasts are different to me than men's breasts."

Thank goodness! Ours are a LOT better looking.
  • alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
    Loved them all.

I could only hope that someday I would be that confident in my body to follow in their footsteps.
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
  • curlcrazy25curlcrazy25 Posts: 111Registered Users
    Thank you for sharing this. It is refreshing to see pictures like these.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    Josephine wrote: »
    Scarlet wrote: »

I tend to agree.

Same here. Men and women are not the same and female breasts are different to me than men's breasts.

Another point for those of you who think that covering one's hair is repressive(which it is if it's forced) - most women who cover their hair by choice also make the same point as RCW about not showing their assets.

Agree, especially bolded.

Also, for New York City to be so diverse, I'm surprised there wasn't more brown skin.

I frankly don't see this as freeing. Not wearing a bra, yeah. Not wearing a shirt, not so much.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users
    I don't know... the last two pictures "From a Female's Perspective"/"From a Male's perspective" where one showed two topless women crossing paths on the street and the other two topless men... that struck a chord with me.

I find self-acceptance and crushing double standards EXTREMELY liberating, actually.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • a curly qa curly q Posts: 248Registered Users
    Thanks for posting this thread eilonwy, self-acceptance is a beautiful thing.
    2b, medium, lots of them
    CG: 21 Apr 08, Mod CG: 24 Aug 08
    My blog: Can't Stop Thinking About Hair
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    is it really legal for women to be topless in New York?
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    FreeCurls wrote: »
    is it really legal for women to be topless in New York?

Yes, in New York State a woman can be topless anywhere a man can be.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.