Do any type 4s plop?

hautecocoahautecocoa Posts: 258Registered Users
Or is for looser textures?
"I'd love to kiss you, but I just washed my hair." Bette Davis, Cabin in the Cotton

~mix of 4a/b??
~my only staples are TJ Nourish (for cowash/detangling) & Lush henna (bc it's pre-mixed). everything else is still up in the air...

Comments

• mslanee1mslanee1 Posts: 439Registered Users
    I think SBB plops. I dont and I am not exactly sure how to do it, but she is a good person to ask.
    CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

• preciousjewel76preciousjewel76 Posts: 679Registered Users Curl Novice
    I do it sometimes. I find that I have to shake and "re-fluff" my hair afterwards, though. I use a flour sack towel for plopping, wrapping it around my head turban-style (twist in the front, secure at back of head). I only leave the towel on for a couple of minutes.
    4A - dense, medium strands - APL/BSL - 3+ years natural!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    I do it sometimes. I find that I have to shake and "re-fluff" my hair afterwards, though. I use a flour sack towel for plopping, wrapping it around my head turban-style (twist in the front, secure at back of head). I only leave the towel on for a couple of minutes.

when i plop i do it the same way, but i use a microfiber towel instead.
  • hautecocoahautecocoa Posts: 258Registered Users

Does it make a difference for you?
    "I'd love to kiss you, but I just washed my hair." Bette Davis, Cabin in the Cotton

~mix of 4a/b??
    ~my only staples are TJ Nourish (for cowash/detangling) & Lush henna (bc it's pre-mixed). everything else is still up in the air...
    subbrock wrote: »

when i plop i do it the same way, but i use a microfiber towel instead.

Are you results significantly better when you plop?

~mix of 4a/b??
    hautecocoa wrote: »

Does it make a difference for you?

Yes, it definitely soaks up the excess water from my hair and therefore, my hair takes less time to dry than it used to. And no drippies down the back of my neck all morning!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users

my curls clump more and like preciousjewel i dont have to worry about drippies down my neck or leaving stains on my clothes.
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My microfiber towel just arrived today, I can't wait to try this this weekend when I wear my hair out.
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
    subbrock wrote: »

my curls clump more and like preciousjewel i dont have to worry about drippies down my neck or leaving stains on my clothes.

Hmmm, I haven't noticed a difference in clumping. But my hair is super coily and clumps pretty well on it's own, no matter what I do to it.

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • DSTurbinglysoulfulDSTurbinglysoulful Posts: 38Registered Users
    What is plopping? I'm new to this...
    Last perm: May 30, 2008
    Big Chopped on: November 2, 2008!!!
    Co-wash every other day
    Leave in Fantasia IC Conditioner
    Fantasia IC gel
    Miss Jessies
    DPL
    ...I'm trying something different every other day to see what works!
    :nike:

event.png

event.png

Ahhh, grasshopper, Google is our friend:wink::
    http://motowngirl.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=6

• celeste821celeste821 Posts: 348Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Ahhh, grasshopper, Google is our friend:wink::
    http://motowngirl.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=6

rotflmao :toothy7:
    So I tried it and I think I like it...I used an old t shirt so it was a little awkward to tie. I think I'll go to the automotive section in Target or Walmart and see if I can find a microfiber towel big enough for my head. If anything I don't have those annoying dribbles going down my back, so I think it's a keeper for me.

~mix of 4a/b??
  • tjbrattjbrat Posts: 67Registered Users
    I plop before I apply any product. I use a microfiber towel and it really soaks up the water. When I first went natural I thought I would have to live with the water running down my neck, but the microfiber towel has really stopped that!!!!!!!
    tjbrat wrote: »
    I plop before I apply any product. I use a microfiber towel and it really soaks up the water. When I first went natural I thought I would have to live with the water running down my neck, but the microfiber towel has really stopped that!!!!!!!

I felt that way too. Don't laugh...but if I had time in the morning I would lay with my head of the side of the bed with a towel underneath to catch the droplets. LOL. My hair is more clumped today. I need to stop touching it before I create frizz!

~mix of 4a/b??
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Gotta love motowngirl :)
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • springyheadspringyhead Posts: 350Registered Users
    I'm new to this plopping business too...so, you basically condition as you do in the shower, bend over, wrap a towel around it so it forms a cone like shape on your head...then you let it out after 15 minutes...and it doesn't make your hair frizzy or permanently stay in that upward position? lol. I'm serious, though...If I pressed a towel against my wet hair, it's an instant fro.
    4a, fine coils. low/med porosity. "It's springy. Like a slinky."--My Lil' Cousin

I use products on 90% dry hair.
    Wash: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap.
    Conditioner: Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac/Suave Humectants
    Moisturizers: Long Aid
    Styler: Ecostyler Clear/ Vitamin E Oil
    I'm new to this plopping business too...so, you basically condition as you do in the shower, bend over, wrap a towel around it so it forms a cone like shape on your head...then you let it out after 15 minutes...and it doesn't make your hair frizzy or permanently stay in that upward position? lol. I'm serious, though...If I pressed a towel against my wet hair, it's an instant fro.

You have to use a microfiber towel or t shirt so you don't create fizz. There is a link to Motown girl about plopping a couple replies below.

~mix of 4a/b??
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    i would love to be able to plop but my hair on top and in the front is weird and doesn't hold curls very well. All of the times that I've tried plopping...I lost the curl definition and my hair turned into frizz.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    HAH!!!!! if i did that....to me plopping on MotownGirl's website seems to be a fancy way of drying your hair with a microfiber towel. I just wrap it around my hair after drying to soak up all the water, then drape it round my shoulders, apply product and let it stay that way till it dries! Or I may gently squeeze my styled hair with the towel to get rid of more water when I'm done.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • dancerxotdancerxot Posts: 140Registered Users
    i just tried plopping this morning and i'm in love!! i wrapped a t-shirt around my head after i cowashed/left conditioner in and thoroughly applied gel. (i was WAY too lazy to detangle today). anyway, my hair came out really coily and defined. also it didn't shrink as much today. loveee it. :toothy7:

hair type: 3c/4a, naturally super soft, and really prone to frizz.
    :blob7:

:love7:i heart naturally curly hair!
  • springyheadspringyhead Posts: 350Registered Users

Thanks, Surbubanbushbabe, for posting these instructions. I couldn't figure out what was going on with plopping from the motown site. I'm retarded with these types of things :)

And even with the visuals in the link, I'm still a bit confused as to how it looks tied up, but I guess the best thing to do is give it a try.
    4a, fine coils. low/med porosity. "It's springy. Like a slinky."--My Lil' Cousin

I use products on 90% dry hair.
    Wash: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap.
    Conditioner: Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac/Suave Humectants
    Moisturizers: Long Aid
    Styler: Ecostyler Clear/ Vitamin E Oil
    I don't twist at the sides like that because I use a smaller towel. I just pull the towel closed at my hair line, then gather the loose parts together at the closure and clip it. I make sure no hair is stuck in any folds of the towel.

IMG_2692-th.jpg
    comic-p.jpg

• sunshowersunshower Posts: 229Registered Users
    i used to plop with a microfiber towel and it came out okay. i recently tried plopping with a t-shirt and i got nuthin' but frizzzzzzz.
    --Tiffany--
    *Reformed PJ*
    3c/4a - coarse and super thick, APL when curly, somewhere around WL when stretched
    http://public.fotki.com/hokukoroku/ - i never update. shame on me :(

Last Relaxer - January 30, 1999
    BC - March 21, 2000

Currently using: AO HSR & GPB conditioners, Vatika Oil, SheaMoisture, homemade African Black Soap shampoo & hair lotion.
  • An AkashaAn Akasha Posts: 175Registered Users
    I've tried plopping but my hair never fit in the towel.
    BSL of thick 4a/ 3c coils.
    Member since 1999.
  • dancerxotdancerxot Posts: 140Registered Users
    sunshower: very random, but we have the same name! shout out to all the NC tiffanys hehe :laughing6:

hair type: 3c/4a, naturally super soft, and really prone to frizz.
    :blob7:

:love7:i heart naturally curly hair!
  • curlee1curlee1 Posts: 48Registered Users
    Now that i've done my homework(thanx celeste821) I can say that i've done this and didn't know it.
    YEAH it work pretty well...it keeps your head warm too :wink:
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

4a natural
    BCed: Feb 2007
    www.free2rockit.blogspot.com
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I still don't get it. My hair is long when it's wet, how would I stick it up under a towel. Clip it up?? Put it in a bun?
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file