I'm starting to think this CG thing is not for me!

shel312shel312 Posts: 96Registered Users
OK...I've been doing this for a few weeks now and my hair has not had one good day. Before CG, I used Pantene products for curly hair. I wouldn't say my hair looked bad then, but when I found the CG routine, it just sounded healthier, so I tried. Nothing has worked for me...I've tried co-washing with Suave coconut, using Giovanni direct and CK. That all gave me limp curls. So now I am trying vo5 tea conditioner as a rinse out daily, washing with Giovanni tea tree twice a week, CK and HETT gel while doing a leave in once a week. That has left me with very dry hair. Neither of these routines did anything for my frizz and my curls have not looked better at all. I know it takes time and experimenting, but I do not have the money to try tons of products. I am this close to going back to my pre-CG routine of Pantene products. Is it possible my hair just likes cons?? Oh yea...and before all of this I did try a clarifying shampoo.
Shampoo once-twice a week with: Avalon Organics Lemon Poo or Organic Soap Bars
Condish: AOWC, AOHR, and Nature's Gate Aloe mixed with honey
Product: LA Looks Gel (yellow)...looking for something natural, with no luck!

Comments

• ajaneajane Posts: 323Registered Users
    Hang in there! I have seen some people on the board prefer to use the cones. I gave them up, but after a year of CG and sort of modified CG, I still don't have great hair. Less frizzy though and much healthier.

Have you tried not shampooing at all? I can only co wash once a week or my hair is too "heavy." Try not co washing but still using your current styling products.

Have you tried eliminating proteins? They can make your hair dry and straw-like.

My hair didn't like the HETT. And forgive me, I haven't tried CK (although I really want to).

I used to really love VO5 conditioner and bought a whole bunch when our Big Lots went out of business, but now my hair does not find them moisturizing enough. If you have a Trader Joes, try the TJ Refresh. That is a great conditioner for me, moisturizing but still light. And it doesn't cost much more than Suave!

My best frizz fighter is a once a week ACV rinse.

Good luck!
  • shel312shel312 Posts: 96Registered Users
    So, is there a list of protein free shampoos, conditioners, and styling products? I've seen the list on healthy curls, but I'm taking it those are not protein free. This CG thing is becoming harder than my masters classes!!
  • myCeliamyCelia Posts: 195Registered Users
    shel312,

For me, styling products (and sometime conditioners) with glycerin leave my hair limp and greasy-looking and I just can't do leave-ins.

Also, being mostly protein-free, I've sleuthed that panthenol is evil and dries out my hair really badly. I've been having great luck with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kinky Curly Curling Custard[/buylink] as my styling gel these days, which has no panthenol.

I either condition with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (no protein) or Rosa Mosqueta (which has a little protein). For me the RM works better with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] to control frizz - but I really don't have much of a problem with frizz anyway.

The adjustment period can last up to six weeks. I hope you find a routine that works for you!

myCelia :)
    What's working: MOP-C Hydrating Shampoo roots only EOD, Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner or Biolage Conditioning Balm; style with Innersense Quiet Calm Curl Control, and the AMAZING KCCC!
    http://public.fotki.com/myCelia111/
    2'ish, fine/medium ii, non-porous hair.
  • CurlyKatieCurlyKatie Posts: 82Registered Users
    I've been doing the Co washing for about a week and a half now, and for the first few days I had great success. After that, my hair too felt heavy, and limp. What I found worked for me was doing a modified routine. I am using a Burt's Bees shampoo twice a week now, just on my scalp and roots. (because my 3a hair is pretty fine and tends to get a bit weighed down with just conditioner) I also use clips (meant for use with curlers) to clip little loops up around the top of my head, at the roots while my hair is drying, it seems to give me better body and lift. Unfortunately it's just a big experiment, we're all just a little bit different. I did however see this site in another thread:

http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/free.html#Anchor-Drugstore-3800

It's got a huge list of Shampoos, Conditioners, and Styling products that are all CG friendly, and some which are protein free. It also lists out the cones you should look for when shopping for products. Hope this helps you. Best of luck!!
    2c/3a Fine and Thin
    CG Since 07/01/08
    My hair loves: KCCC!
    :love7: Nexxus Headress Weightless Leave In, HE TT, Loreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for Long Wavy/Curly hair.
    My Hair Hates: MagSulf, Jessicurl, LOOB.
  • dazzle34dazzle34 Posts: 18Registered Users
    Have you considered it's the weather? A lot of my favorite standbys just don't deliver the same results in the heat and humidity of summer, especially the HETT gel. It has enough hold in colder weather, but not in warmer.

I agree with the ACV rinses if your hair is getting weighed down by using so much conditioner.
    CG since June 23, 2008
    mostly 2C/bit of 3A

http://public.fotki.com/dazzle34/
    pw: wave
  • ajaneajane Posts: 323Registered Users
    Here is a list of sulfate, cone, and protein free products. If there is an updated one, I haven't seen it. I haven't looked either. Keep in mind some of the products have been discontinued and others reformulated.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=3518&highlight=sulfate%2C+cone%2C+protein+free+products

There is also an article called "Ingredients commonly found in hair care products" on this website that gives you names of different chemicals. I will see if can find it.

Found it! http://http://www.naturallycurly.com/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    What are you using to dry your hair? STAY AWAY FROM TERRYCLOTH. My hair was so so much better after I ditched the towel and cut up an old oversized t shirt to use. Or some places sell microfiber towels you can use to scruch, plop, or dry.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
    I am using 3 birdseye cloth diapers that I sewed together in place of a curlease towel. Couldn't see paying the $ when I got 6 diapers and made 2 towels out of them for $6!
    I think I finally may be on to something. After several weeks and several products later, I think I found a routine that is going to work for me. Today is the first day I have good hair:occasion7: (fingers crossed that it lasts all day!). Here is what I have done and used:

water wash
    VO5 vanilla mint with a little honey mixed in, raked through and in for length of shower, then rinsed out.
    Biotera curl cream raked through.
    Wrapped up carefully in the "towel" I mentioned in the above post for 5 min.
    A mixture of FOTH aloe vera gel and biotera gel scrunched through.
    Pixie difusse for approx 10-15 min, then air dry rest of time.
    Shake curls loose.

Hopefully, it will last and I can repeat it tomorrow.
    Thank you so much to everyone who gave suggestions. I truly believe this is much more healthy for my hair! Thanks again!! You guys rock!!:headbang:
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    This might sound really dumb, but what's the advantage of an ACV rinse?
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    I feel like the V05 and Suave conditioners are great cowashes, but not very good for actually moisturizing. I recommend trying a conditioner with better ingredients - such as Trader Joe's Refresh or Nourish.
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file