i went to ouidad (yes THE ouidad)

subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
(crosss posted in 3c forum)
so as many of you may or may not know, i won the scavenger hunt contest here back in april. part of my prize was a trip to the ouidad salon in nyc. im supposed to do a write up about it, but i figured id give you guys the REAL scoop.
my appointment was with ana who is the artisitic director and a tier 1 stylist there. to liken the salon to our government, if ouidad were president, ana is the vice prez.
everyone was really nice (i even met ouidad and she was super nice), but i felt like there was a scrpit that they go by, to educate people on how to take care of curls. since ive been on this site for several years and also worked at a salon before, i already knew all of it (yay nc.com for being such a great wealth of info!). i hadnt had a trim/shape in ages because i was waiting for this trip to have it done so i was a bit worried i had raggedy ends even though i didnt see any. but i didnt, she agreed that my hair was in fantastic health.
i was pretty much dead set against having the carve and slice cut since i have fine hair and i didnt want to sacrifice volume, but i gave up trying to fight her about it and just had it done anyway. my hair was washed, conditioned, and deep conditioned, trimmed/shaped (it was done on wet hair). and even though i enjoyed myself, i still hadnt felt wowed or like i learned anything i didnt know already.
that all changed once she styled my hair. i had never used ouidad products before and she showed my a new way to apply my products and also how to use clips at the roots to give volume. my hair looked amazing when it was finished. i was shocked that it was my hair. my hair was so defined,it looked like she had fingerstyled each individual curl. my hair was extra shiny and super bouncy. i kept saying how it looked like doll hair.
at the beginning of the appointment ana had told me that with the right products and the right hair cut (carve and slice) that i would finally get great 2nd day hair. so great that it would look even better than my 1st day hair, but i didnt believe her. she also told me to pineapple my hair at night and id have great 2nd day hair, which i really didnt believe. but when i woke up the next day, my hair looked like i had never went to bed. she made a believer out of me!
im not crazy about the ingredients in the products they gave me, so i tried same styling method with my regular products. of course my hair didnt look as great as it did when i left the salon, but it looked pretty darn good. i think i have to perfect the styling technique a bit more before i get the same results. the good side is, my 2nd day hair was once again fabulous. i didnt pineapple that night due to sheer laziness, but once again, you could tell that it was 2nd day hair.
based off the styling tip alone, this was a really really really great great experience.

Comments

• missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    wow....I'm so happy you had a good experience Subbrock! I can't believe you broke down and got the carve and slice :-) The good thing is that you don't lose any length....you just have an easier time styling your hair. Now you're making me want to get my hair carved and sliced again. Lol.

So please share the details on the "new product application technique". I can't wait to see your pics!
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • Sunshine_OneSunshine_One Posts: 63Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    WOW!

I'm so happy you had a good time and came out with great hair and new styling techniques. I have used a few Oiudad products in past when I was texlaxed. I may have to give them again on my natural hair.

OK so where are the pics girlie? I can't wait to see them and also what products they did use?

TIA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair facts: 3c/4a I think!
    Mixed Chicks Leave-in May 2010
    Transitioned 15 months
    100% Natural since FEB 2006
    http://public.fotki.com/SunshineOne/
  • cclark1cclark1 Posts: 346Registered Users
    My girlfriend goes to Boston once a year for an Ouidad cut. I can't wait to see your pics. Please, please post them soon!!!
    Dare to be......remarkable!!!
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    okay pics are officially posted!

as for the styling, approximately 10% of their [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Curl-Quenching-Conditioner-p-372.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-curl-quenching-conditioner]curl quenching conditioner[/buylink] was left in my hair after it was washed. then ana devided the hair into 5 horizontal sections. with each section she detangled first with a small tooth comb. my hair doesnt get too tangled, so no cause for alarm. then she applied a generous amount of the climate control gel. next she raked it through my hair with her fingers a few times and on the last rake through, right before she got to the ends of my hair, she wiggled her hands back and forth to bring the curl pattern out. same thing was done to each section. it made really awesome clumps of defined curls. then she put duckbill clips at the roots of my hair in the front to provide some height/lift. after that my hair was diffused. once my hair was dried the clips were removed and she put a dollup of the clear control pomade which softend up the gel and added alot more shine. for second day hair i just spritzed it with the sun shield spray.
  • deahnataydeahnatay Posts: 82Registered Users
    Your hair looks great.
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Subbrock, your hair looks great (as always)!!!! I love how boingy your curls were :D
    what is pineappling your hair?
  • jcurladyjcurlady Posts: 626Registered Users Curl Novice
    WOW! Your hair is beautiful. There's a Quidad Salon here in CLT and now I'm tempted to go there and give it a try.
    if luvin KCKT and KCCC is wrong I don't wanna b right

sell crazy somewhere else...we're all stocked up here.
    deahnatay wrote: »
    what is pineappling your hair?

putting it in a loose high ponytail
    thanks
  • HoneycombHoneycomb Posts: 400Registered Users
    I love the cut, love the color, they did a great job, you look beautiful!!!
    Natural since Oct. 2002. BC for the 3rd time in July 2008. 5-7" of natural 4a hair.

My pics:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=4tcfcwu.136flti6&Uy=w74a9e&Ux=0
  • GuyanaGal718GuyanaGal718 Posts: 207Registered Users
    Oh it looks so beautiful! But they didn't make your hair beautiful, it already was :wink:
    A 3b/3c/ curlicious combo with a sprinkle of 4a.
    The Big Chop August. 2006 :nike:
    Natural Diva since 2005.
    Tracklete Star!
  • aricurlaricurl Posts: 304Registered Users
    Your hair looks fantastic!! 1st day and 2nd!! Did you see anyone at Ouidad with a tighter curl pattern?
    http://public.fotki.com/aricurl/
    PW: twelve

My Routine.
    Weekly Cleansers: Co-Wash - Suave Coconut or Yes to Cucumbers and Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. Giovanni 50-50 poo on scalp only.
    Moisturizers: Mix of Giovanni Direct with AO Honey Suckle; KCKT; Jamaican Castor Oil, water.
    Sealers: My whipped raw shea butter/oil blend.
    Scalp Oil: Jojoba, Rosemary, Horsetail, Burdock Root, Aloe Vera Gel
    Hairstyle: Protective.

Henndigo occasionally.
    thanks for the compliments!

when i went, there was a little girl getting her hair done who had tighter 3c curls than mine. then there was a stylist assistant/shampoo girl who was about 4a, and then ana showed me he real hair and shes a 4a too.
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    I am so in love with your curls. Your hair looks fantastic. I'm glad you had fun. That's the most important part. :)
  • spiral-ncspiral-nc Posts: 716Registered Users
    Your hair looks fantastic Subbrock! I'm glad you had such a great experience - and belated congrats on winning the contest.
    spirals, kinks, s-shapes and coils.

http://public.fotki.com/Spiral

H is for Henna and Healthy Hair!
    Use only the PURE STUFF
  • cclark1cclark1 Posts: 346Registered Users
    Your hair looks AWESOME!!! Why is pineappling important?
    Dare to be......remarkable!!!
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    jcurlady wrote: »
    WOW! Your hair is beautiful. There's a Quidad Salon here in CLT and now I'm tempted to go there and give it a try.

Jcurl....I've been there and I can tell you about my experience.

Anyway, Subbrock, your hair looks amazing. I love the curls. They did a fab job with the cut and styling. Does it feel thinner at all? My hair felt a lot thinner after the carve and slice.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • jsocurleighjsocurleigh Posts: 265Registered Users
    First let me say how super jealous I am that you won Subbrock...

:sad8:

Ok, with that out of the way... Congrats! Your hair still looked gorgeous when you styled at home and I love the makeup in that last photo. Thanks for sharing your experience!
    *AVEDA Cosmetology Graduate*
    *DEVA Trained Stylist*

4a*reformed PJ* mixologist*twistologist*extremely hair obsessed
    Twitter/@JayeEllis
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair looks fabulous! And I love the color! In photo number 4 your curls look so defined and bouncy. I'm jelly LOL
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    oh man i cant see the pictures at work but wait till i go home!! thank you soo much for this post cause you just gave me newfound hope!
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • mslanee1mslanee1 Posts: 439Registered Users
    WOW! Your hair looks great! And thanks for explaining the styling method that she used.
    CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

• HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
    Subb it looks fantastic. Your hair actually looks longer. I love it, it really does look like doll hair.
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
  • Curly_DivaCurly_Diva Posts: 151Registered Users
    went through all the pics in your fotki...

gorgeous!
    BC Feb 2008
    3c, 4a. HE, castor and jojoba oil, acv rinse
  • amaraliceamaralice Posts: 302Registered Users
    One word. DY-NO-MITE!!!!:salute:
    Lakshmi's Cupboard
    http://LakshmsCupboard.com

If I use it, I sell it!

4A. Hair goal chin level while curly - achieved Oct 2010!
    Next Goal: Shoulder length - Achieved Summer 2012!
    New Goal: Bra Strap Level
    Routine
    DT: Amla Silk Deep Therapy Restorative Masque , rhassoul clay
    Leave-in: Amla Lavender Chamomile Leave-In Hair Cream,, Amla and Honey Detangling Conditioner, Bhaasvataa Oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FleurztyFleurzty Posts: 795Registered Users
    Your hair looks splendid!
  • anonymous_4926anonymous_4926 Posts: 678Registered Users
    your hair has grown, too...it's beautiful
    natural since 1998. trying to adapt to this midwest weather while still keeping it simple. current length: MBL (stretched)

www.fotki.com/curlymami
    pw: enter
    missmonie wrote: »
    They did a fab job with the cut and styling. Does it feel thinner at all? My hair felt a lot thinner after the carve and slice.

my hair when dry feels thinner but when its wet it doesnt feel much thinnner at all. i have super fine hair to begin with so once its straightend or wet it feels pretty thin.

oh and i cant let ouidad take credit for my color, i go to my sister's salon for that! i need my roots done, bad. thank goodness for volume or else youd see over an inch of black roots!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair looks amazing. Beautiful cut and style.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I knew your sister did your hair color and I'm always drooling over the color. You're so lucky to have somebody do it for you. I would have fried my hair by now LOL That color is very sensitive when it comes to my hair.

Wouldn't it be nice if they gave us a video of what exactly they did to our hair? My hair never looks the same the next day after I leave the salon.

BTW, if we were to PAY for this service how much do they charge?
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file