If you flat iron...

iaraiara Posts: 1,199Registered Users
If you flat iron hair that is not blow dried straight, will your curls stretch to waves or will it turn into a frizzy mess?

I do not have the patience to upkeep straight hair but I want a change. Any suggestions of how to turn tighter curls to waves without a lot of heat or doing a lot of manual manipulation?
You cannot invite someone to your house in the Hamptons and when she arrives, not let her stay. Tacky. Very Tacky. ~ East Village hipster.

People in Ward Three disdain three things: cleavage, hunting and dumb people who are richer than they are. ~ David Brooks

Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. ~Armaments 2:9-21

Comments

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    I think it will turn into a weird two dimensional version of curly hair, like curly hair that has been pressed in a book.

How long is your hair, I may have some suggestions but the length makes a difference. Also, how curly is it?
  • iaraiara Posts: 1,199Registered Users
    Thanks. My hair is shoulder length now and looks similar to Gloria Reuben.

I think I remember reading a suggestion in a magazine for curlies to braid their hair and then run a flat iron over it. Magazine tips are rarely useful...

I do not have a flat iron yet so I cannot experiment.
    You cannot invite someone to your house in the Hamptons and when she arrives, not let her stay. Tacky. Very Tacky. ~ East Village hipster.

People in Ward Three disdain three things: cleavage, hunting and dumb people who are richer than they are. ~ David Brooks

Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. ~Armaments 2:9-21
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    iara wrote: »
    Thanks. My hair is shoulder length now and looks similar to Gloria Reuben.

I think I remember reading a suggestion in a magazine for curlies to braid their hair and then run a flat iron over it. Magazine tips are rarely useful...

I do not have a flat iron yet so I cannot experiment.

Now I think that would look nice. I like the kinked wavy look. :thumbup:
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    I saw them do that on an episode of What Not To Wear (or maybe it was 10 Years Younger, can't remember), with the braids. That lady had straight hair to begin with. It turned out pretty well, but nothing they couldn't have gotten from like braiding it and misting it and letting it sit awhile.
  • dancerxotdancerxot Posts: 140Registered Users
    well i flat iron without blow drying, and all i do is run a boar bristle brush before the flat iron and my hair comes out pin straight, no waves with very little trouble.

hair type: 3c/4a, naturally super soft, and really prone to frizz.
    :blob7:

:love7:i heart naturally curly hair!
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    I agree... just braiding it wet then sleeping on it or leaving it for a while will give you waves. Doesn't hafta dry all the way, esp if you put a little styler in it.

I like to braid mine wet with a little jojoba oil or a good bit of leave in then sleep on it. I can wear it that way the next day as well (for convenience sake and because it's cute). Then the following day I take it down and have nifty braidwaves.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file