Applying hair color to the back of your head...your techniques

InfraredheadInfraredhead Posts: 335Registered Users
I just finished coloring my roots and have been doing the same routine to apply hair color to the back side of my head for a long time. I flip my head over with my hair hanging down then use the applicator to paint "stripes" as close to my scalp as possible. I then take my gloved hands and kinda squish it around. Sometimes I miss a spot but most of the time it works. I have tried using mirrors but it is really hard with an applicator in one hand and the mirror in the other! What is your technique?

I know you are going to suggest a buddy to help but most of the time that isn't feasible. I thought maybe someone knew a better coloring gymnastics routine? :laughing7:
Mod CG since April of 2007.

Comments

  • scorpiofirescorpiofire Posts: 122Registered Users
    I start by separating my hair in four large sections. I then use a coloring brush to apply the dye at the roots, separating the hair in smaller sections by using the handle. To me ,it seems easier this way. When i get to the back,i hold up the strand that i just separated and use it as a guide for the brush in my other hand to go down at the root to apply the dye. Once i've done all four sections,i massage the roots with my fingers to spread the dye everywhere. I hope this long-winded explanation makes sense to you, it seems easier to do than to explain lol.
    Colored shoulder lenght ,3A/3B, fine hair but lots of it

    http://public.fotki.com/scorpiofire/

    pw:maxime

    currently using:
    suave tropical coconut, apple or tangerine conditioner to co-wash
    condition with Live clean or L'Oreal pro vive
    Loo-poo every 2 wks with Live clean
    Styling combos:
    Just got some jessicurl products last week and loving the results
    AG re:coil, biolage gelee or BHRG
    Catwalk curls amplifier,biolage gelee

    Banned products:
    CK

    Total PJ ,can you tell?
  • InfraredheadInfraredhead Posts: 335Registered Users
    Makes perfect sense to me. I started wondering today how other people do it.
    Mod CG since April of 2007.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    I always did the same like you Infared. Except, I did it right side up. For the back I relied on "feel," and the smushing to relieve any mistakes. It worked fine.

    Now, with henna, I don't use the applicator bottle much, it's mostly all smushing.
  • maryeismaryeis Posts: 44Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    When I color my roots, I roll my hair up in sponge rollers and get at the the roots that way. I "squirt and smoosh" the roots in each section. For me it's a lot easier to get the color on quickly that way. Been doing it for years now.
    3A,fine texture,medium thickness,below shoulder length for the 1st time in 30 yrs! colored dark blonde to hide gray.
  • cyncurl999cyncurl999 Posts: 58Registered Users
    maryeis wrote: »
    When I color my roots, I roll my hair up in sponge rollers and get at the the roots that way. I "squirt and smoosh" the roots in each section. For me it's a lot easier to get the color on quickly that way. Been doing it for years now.


    do you just leave a few inches of root showing? That's actually a great idea! I suppose your rollers are all dyed :)
    3B / fine / shoulder length
    primarily CG since 01/2004
    Products:
    CO wash: just clear water and scrubbing
    Conditioner: Joico Moisturizer / Elucence Moisture Balance
    Leave in conditioner: Elucence
    style: Aura hypoallergenic gel mixed with FOTE AVG
    must haves: duckbill clips and cold shot on blow dryer

    Not using shampoo or cones in my hair has changed my life!
  • maryeismaryeis Posts: 44Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi Cyncurl! Yes, that's exactly what I do. I tried a couple of times to section my hair with a comb the traditional way but before I was done with my whole head the first sections were timed out. With the rollers I can get the color in all around the same time. I went to a beauty supply and got a bunch of sponge rollers cheap. (sponge rollers have no metal parts and don't require hair pins; metal + hair color = disaster) And yes, the pink rollers are all dyed up, but I don't use them for anything else, and wash after use. HTH! Mary
    3A,fine texture,medium thickness,below shoulder length for the 1st time in 30 yrs! colored dark blonde to hide gray.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I just finished coloring my roots and have been doing the same routine to apply hair color to the back side of my head for a long time. I flip my head over with my hair hanging down then use the applicator to paint "stripes" as close to my scalp as possible. I then take my gloved hands and kinda squish it around. Sometimes I miss a spot but most of the time it works. I have tried using mirrors but it is really hard with an applicator in one hand and the mirror in the other! What is your technique?

    I know you are going to suggest a buddy to help but most of the time that isn't feasible. I thought maybe someone knew a better coloring gymnastics routine? :laughing7:



    I do it like you do, except i do it right-side up. I use henna, but I apply my henna with haircolor bottles, so I can still stick the applicator bottle in the dense hair and just make lines and squish it.
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    cyncurl999 wrote: »
    maryeis wrote: »
    When I color my roots, I roll my hair up in sponge rollers and get at the the roots that way. I "squirt and smoosh" the roots in each section. For me it's a lot easier to get the color on quickly that way. Been doing it for years now.


    do you just leave a few inches of root showing? That's actually a great idea! I suppose your rollers are all dyed :)
    maryeis wrote: »
    Hi Cyncurl! Yes, that's exactly what I do. I tried a couple of times to section my hair with a comb the traditional way but before I was done with my whole head the first sections were timed out. With the rollers I can get the color in all around the same time. I went to a beauty supply and got a bunch of sponge rollers cheap. (sponge rollers have no metal parts and don't require hair pins; metal + hair color = disaster) And yes, the pink rollers are all dyed up, but I don't use them for anything else, and wash after use. HTH! Mary

    That is genius. I have to try that!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I colored I clipped my hair into around 10 sections then touched up the parts before undoing a section, parting that in 3 and touching up those part. Very manageable and easy to do by touch.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

    Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • lily25lily25 Posts: 8Registered Users
    Here is my technique. I call it pizza hair, because I imagine my head is like a pizza in slices, only very thin. The front hair and top hair are easy to do, just apply dye in small sections. Now the back of the hair is tricky. I start with the long line in the middle from the top towards the nape. And I continue applying the dye in lines starting from the same point going out. Here is a silly drawing of how I do it.
    pizzahair.jpg Hope it helps.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file