ACV rinse vs. lemon juice rinse?

baikabaika Posts: 117Registered Users
Hi there,

Is anyone doing lemon juice rinses? I know some of you are adding it to the conditioner, but I'm asking about lemon juice diluted in water.

Would that work the same as an ACV rinse? Is there any advantage to using vinegar as opposed to using lemon juice?

I would much more prefer to use lemon because of the smell. I just wonder why so many people use AVC and so few talk about lemon... Is any of them more drying out than the other?

Comments

• baikabaika Posts: 117Registered Users
    Also, I think I remember seeing somewhere that they both have about the same pH. They should work the same, shouldn't they?
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    They are about the same pH. But... I don't know. They don't seem the same to me. It may be to do with some of the vitamins and minerals in lemon juice. Vinegar has almost no nutrients in it.
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 580Registered Users
    I use lime juice - it's less drying than lemon, and gives me the same effect as vinegar, but with a lovely smell. :)
    Sarah.

Based in the UK. 2-something (2b?) hair. Very porous, fine and brittle/fragile

Hair loves: Drip drying, glycerine, shea butter, oils
    Hair hates: Plopping, any kind of gel, most conditioners (scalp issues).
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    pelicano wrote: »
    I use lime juice - it's less drying than lemon, and gives me the same effect as vinegar, but with a lovely smell. :)
    As I understand it, Lime juice is more acidic than Lemon, and many report it to be more drying. I may have to try it one of these days just becase I love the smell as well. I'm glad it works for you!
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 580Registered Users
    My hair is really dry, but not from lime juice - it's brilliant stuff. :)
    Sarah.

Based in the UK. 2-something (2b?) hair. Very porous, fine and brittle/fragile

Hair loves: Drip drying, glycerine, shea butter, oils
    Hair hates: Plopping, any kind of gel, most conditioners (scalp issues).
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lemon juice may lighten haircolor, while ACV doesn't.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lemon juice totally dries out my hair and strips the color.

ACV doesn't do anything other than what I want it to do.
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Lemon juice dries my hair. can leave it dull and even tacky if not rinsed well.

the ACVs are great - shine - smoothness - bounciness.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    As others said, lemon can strip color out other than blonde. It is a natural lightener. If you just want to remove the buildup, but want to avoid vinegar you can try what I do.

I wet and condition my hair like normal, then blot dry it when I get out of the shower. I then take a spray bottle that has a mixture of 1tbs baking soda and 1 cup of warm water and spray along my roots. I leave it on a minute, then go rinse it out with coldish water.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file