I Do Not Watch Fox News

susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
I can't count the number of times that I've been accused of watching Fox News...I don't. Okay? I don't watch CNN or MSNBC either. I don't watch the news at all. I stopped watching it over a year ago and had my network news watching privileges rescinded in 2004.

Now, I'll listen to anyone, but when you accuse me of using talking points from ANYONE, you have lost me and the rest of your message won't be read. K? :wink:
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

Comments

• Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    How do you get information?
  • Ms KittyMs Kitty Posts: 556Registered Users
    She dreams it up. LOL:laughing7:
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    Coconut,Jojoba and JBC oils
    Rosemary Oil/w horsetail,coltsfoot and Nettle leaves.
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

http://public.fotki.com/mj11051
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    LMAO....

I'm shocked that you dont watch Fox News...I'm sure Bill o'Riley is SICK to know that he's lost part of his viewing audience. They going to launch a massive media blitz in the attempts to win you back over!

Lighten up....really it ain't that serious. I could care less what news network you watch (or don't watch i guess in your case). As long as you are able to debate your stance on the issue...then let the discussion continue.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Good! :thumbright: Faux News is lame.
    One of my senators, Jim Bunning, said he only watches Fox News for information. He doesn't read either of the two largest newspapers in the state nor does he watch local TV. That's scary.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Myradella3 wrote: »
    One of my senators, Jim Bunning, said he only watches Fox News for information. He doesn't read either of the two largest newspapers in the state nor does he watch local TV. That's scary.

Wow...yes that is scary.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    I wish I could understand what the big deal is about Fox News.

It's not even right-wing.

And even if it was, wouldn't that be fair to balance out the rest of the left-wing news networks? Or are you guys that call it "Faux News" actually saying the other networks are not leaning to the left? :laughing7:

I haven't watched much of it either. Actually, I currently have no cable/satellite and haven't watched TV in over two months. I read my news online. I read msn and foxnews.com more than anything else.

I hardly see made up stories that aren't on other networks though.
    DPTFm5.png
    Is there a difference in the following statements?

The Democrats opposed Bush's plan.
    vs.
    The Democrats bashed Bush's plan.

One statement was on Fox News (not in an opinion section) and one was on CNN.

MSNBC is very left leaning. It wasn't always but I think that as Fox grows to the right, MSNBC decided to push left.
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Posts: 844Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Maybe she reads the newspaper? Or listens to the radio? There's more than one way to learn about current events. I'm lazy so I love television (I can get my weather forecast along with my national headlines--how efficient/convenient!). But that doesn't mean I'm incapable of gaining knowledge now, when I don't have a functioning television.

I do miss my News Hour with Jim Lehrer, though.

Sorry to guano. I'll stop now.

Maybe she reads the newspaper? Or listens to the radio? There's more than one way to learn about current events. I'm lazy so I love television (I can get my weather forecast along with my national headlines--how efficient/convenient!). But that doesn't mean I'm incapable of gaining knowledge now, when I don't have a functioning television.

I do miss my News Hour with Jim Lehrer, though.

Sorry to guano. I'll stop now.

Perhaps....perhaps she'll tell us!
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yep, finally wandered back in. I use the internet, radio (various stations), commentary. We got rid of the satellite over a year ago...although I am wishing we had it back for things like Psych, Stargate, NCIS (Mark Harmon just keeps getting better and better looking) and HGTV, Style Network...shallow stuff...
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

Rheanna83 wrote: »
    Or are you guys that call it "Faux News" actually saying the other networks are not leaning to the left? :laughing7:

I haven't watched much of it either. Actually, I currently have no cable/satellite and haven't watched TV in over two months. I read my news online. I read msn and foxnews.com more than anything else.

Saying that Fox News is biased isn't the same as saying that everyone else isn't.

Everyone and everything has its bias. WSJ is conservative, NYT is liberal. MSNBC is left-ish. All tend to select stories and cover them with a slight skew.

But Fox News is in its own little category by itself.

I've watched a lot of Fox News, due to a variety of odd circumstances in my life. They're beyond the pale.

"Oopsa daisy, how'd that extra 'Hussein' get into the Chyron?!"

I mean, come on.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    All TV news is pretty bad, but Fox is in a class by itself.
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    This study is a few years old, but I doubt it can be reasonably said that Fox News has raised its journalistic standards since it was done. If anything, they've gotten worse. I, for one, tend to think of them as The Enquirer of political "news". And I waste equal amounts of time on each source - none at all.
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote: »
    Rheanna83 wrote: »
    Or are you guys that call it "Faux News" actually saying the other networks are not leaning to the left? :laughing7:

Saying that Fox News is biased isn't the same as saying that everyone else isn't.

Everyone and everything has its bias. WSJ is conservative, NYT is liberal. MSNBC is left-ish. All tend to select stories and cover them with a slight skew.

But Fox News is in its own little category by itself.

I've watched a lot of Fox News, due to a variety of odd circumstances in my life. They're beyond the pale.

"Oopsa daisy, how'd that extra 'Hussein' get into the Chyron?!"

I mean, come on.

as a journalist, i feel like i need to correct this misperception. the editorial boards of the WSJ or the NYT might have a particular political bent. that's appropriate, because the editorial board publishes the opinions page and writes editorials taking a particular stand on political candidates or a particular issue.

but the editorial board is a completely separate entity from the news gathering division of a paper, which is charged with being objective and non-partisan. the two do not work together and do not influence each other. there is a strict dividing line. as newsroom employees, we're forbidden from participating in political rallies or demonstrations of any kind, to avoid any appearance of a conflict of interest. some take this so seriously that they do not vote in political elections. (to me, that's taking it a bit far, but whatever.)

i can't speak for the networks, because i've definitely noticed a progression towards being more partisan in their coverage, which i find troubling. and fox news? ugh.

of course, you could argue that even deciding what is news and what gets covered is subjective. but as journalists, we are expected to be non-partisan, fair, balanced and accurate in our coverage.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    susancnw wrote: »
    I'm going to guess that you do not watch Fox News ever...they really do a decent job in the newscasting about being impartial.

I'm confused then.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    At the gym I see multiple TVs. Fox News, by 5:20, had spent almost 10 minutes on Obama. The longest portion was "Obama Obsession by the Media". Well, duh...are you contributing to it?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I like to watch Fox and CNN. It gives me a better understanding of things to see boths sides/views.
  • notegalnotegal Posts: 560Registered Users
    Fox news tends to sort of lean to the right...HOWEVER I get other info from other stations. I believe it's CNN with Glen Beck. I'm picky and choosy as to who I view. I also listen to conservative Radio. Limbaugh, Hannity and Beck help keep people sane...(IMO):cya:
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• CurlyGina2CurlyGina2 Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    I thought this was hilarious- fox news reporter at the Democratic National Convention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoDsQ2VNArI

They said what I think all the time!

Oh: Definitely not safe for work (language)
    Ha, that was f****** brilliant! :laughing6:

Thanks for posting that.
  • notegalnotegal Posts: 560Registered Users
    What are the protesters trying to prove with masks? They want to look like terrorists? Fox news was trying to make a point. Sounds like the protesters just want Blood in Denver...I don't really think that's patriotic.:sad1::cya:
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    Ugh, I kind of wish they hadn't done that, only because it gives people more ammunition to hate "liberals." I imagine I'll be hearing about this from my uber-conservative acquaintances who keep trying to change my mind. Even if I don't like Fox News, I'd still try to get the message across in a way that they can't turn it around on you and make you look like the jerk. That reporter was just egging them on with the antagonizing tone in his voice. He was irritating ME, and I didn't even have the microphone in my face.
    That piece was horrible and not good journalism, not even journalism at all. He kept saying "I guess they don't believe in free speech," when people refused to do an interview with him. He was so off base. After all, free speech also includes reserving the right to say nothing at all.

And his job, as a reporter, does not include passing judgment or making snide remarks about what his subjects do. That is, if he were a reporter. He really isn't.

It was petty, base and sensationalistic and a perfect example of what Fox News is all about.

That piece is an insult to viewer's intelligence. I hope at least some people saw it for what it was.
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote: »
    And his job, as a reporter, does not include passing judgment or making snide remarks about what his subjects do.

Not to mention the anchor in the studio who was obviously miffed and didn't bother trying to hide it.
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    i agree. the reporter obviously went down there with an agenda in mind--to stir up some ish with the protesters. kind of goes against the rules in journalism 101.

fox news--or faux news, as someone called it recently--gives journalism a bad name. :angry7:

also, i wouldn't call that crowd "out of control."
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file