Do you go "home for the holidays"?

dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
Do you go "home" for the holidays (meaning where you grew up)?

We haven't come up with a set tradition yet in our house. Next year we think we're going on a cruise.
People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I came home for the career, so the holidays are often mine to host!

Next year, I hope to use the holidays for a New Zealand/Australia trip. This year my mom and I were going to go to Florida, but since she's still looking for a job, no luck there.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • danigirldanigirl Posts: 59Registered Users
    i stay home with my family and we open presents, fight, get drunk, laugh. good times.
    3a/some 3b
    "I talk to myself every once in awhile. Give myself very good advice. Sometimes, I even take it"
  • cmb4314cmb4314 Posts: 984Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm in grad school, and my fiance is still a senior in ugrad, so we go home. But at this stage in life, everyone goes home. Also, I have to go home to see my family, since I'm the only kid that's left the house so far.

Though, my fiance and I are both major family people, so I think we'll always go to one of our homes for the holidays.
  • kmonsterkmonster Posts: 6Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I voted "at home with immediate family," though it is sometimes with other families or friends. Dh's family refuses to get together on Christmas Day, even though we all live in the same town :roll: , and since my husband's has his children for at least part of the holiday, it would be a logistical nightmare getting them and us to my family's. So for now, I spend Christmas with my husband and his kids. If he's working, I spend Christmas with friends in the area, and we get together with his family at some non-Christmas Day point.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    i go home sometimes, but just because i have time off, not to celebrate anything. then i only go for a day or less. don't like going home much, which sucks because i love all of my siblings. my parents just drive me nuts. :?

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • JillCJillC Posts: 100Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Last year we stayed here, but this year we're going back to Wisconsin. DH and my families are both there, although we're talking about how long we're going to do this. A cruise or something sounds great!
    2a/3a fine but lots of it. Just above my shoulders.
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    My boyfriend and I are splitting our holidays between both of our families, but ultimately, one day I'd like to be the host and have both of our families at our place.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Posts: 637Registered Users
    Last year we did, the yr before we spent w/ ILS. This yr Bets & I will be here & then heading up to DH's Aunt's house later in the day for a night or 2.

It's hard with us being on one side of the country & our families in 2 different regions too (mine in VT & his in VA).
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • ~915~~915~ Posts: 519Registered Users
    It's just hubby, the baby and me and we like it that way. His mom lives across the country and my family, well, is just too much. I always drop by my mom's house early in the month with gifts and she and I have coffee, but I'm not doing the whole dinner thing.
  • urbancurlurbancurl Posts: 980Registered Users
    It varies. Sometimes I spend it with my immediately family, sometimes with SOs family, and other times I have skipped the whole thing and done gigs for other people's parties.

This year, I am going to Nassua, Bahamas with SO!!!!!!!!
    "It is wrong to use moral means to preserve immoral ends." MLK, Jr.

Password= urban
  • mangomango Posts: 60Registered Users
    I go home when Im in the country - this year to my mums in Montreal. Im not always able to make it for THE day though - last year I celebrated Christmas with my hubby (dim sum) then went to see family for boxing day and New Year.
    3b/c
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    We are treating ourselves this year. We are staying home and away from all family! :lol:

The plan is to get up and let the munchkin open her goodies, make french toast, play like maniacs and hang out in jammies all day. We will probably build a fire, maybe play outside if it snows - watch Christmas TV and cook a nice meal. We will let all who live near that they are welcome to stop by. We will avoid my mother like the plague (the best gift of all :wink: ).
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We travel to GA and my dad and step moms is "base camp" while we visit DH's dad and step mom, go see his grandparents and a few other various people. Then on Christmas day my mom and her b/f, my sis and her kids all gather at my dad and step moms to eat and open presents. Thankfully this year my MIL, her b/f and my sis in law (who's visiting from college in Maine) will be coming to our house to celebrate. It will be our first time actually having someone come to us for a change.

I told DH one year we may boycott and just say if they wanna see us, come here!!! :lol:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    Christmas eve is spent with my siblings. X-mas day just me and sammi all day long in pj's

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    i picked the first option. what is lucky for my husband and me is that my family is jewish and his is christian, so we don't have to worry about whose parents' house we go to. we'll do christmas and easter at his parents' and chanukah and passover at my parents'. we did thanksgiving at my parents' this year because we live in the same town as them, and i imagine we'll do that most years since we'll always be seeing his family a month later for christmas.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • KurleeKurlee Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    We always spend christmas with my husbands family (or my family when we lived in Sweden).

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    My husband's family is here so we spend Christmas with them (or at least part of Christmas). My mom, brother and niece come down on 12/26 (custody issues with my niece prevent them from coming down any earlier).

My sister, husband and I all go home for Thanksgiving - that's the big family reunion on Dad's side of the family.

I'm happy not to have to travel for Christmas. The whole month is one long rushrushrush as it is; if I had to drive 20 hours one way to get to my Mom's I'd go ballistic.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I'm still the only "where I live now with other families and friends." It was a little hard to answer this year because I am bouncing between two cities - but for Christmas, Kwanzaa, New Years' and Three Kings' Day we will be in Toronto, which I consider home, and so will our parents, siblings etc. and we will be spending it with them. Before I was married, I always was either living with my parents and spent the holidays there, or I came home to my parents' - I NEVER went to the family of anyone I was dating, even when I was engaged. The year I was engaged to my now husband, I had my first Christmas Day with my future in-laws - my family celebrates mostly on the 24th so there wasn't a conflict. And my family did different things as I was growing up - we sometimes went back to the Caribbean to celebrate with family there, once we went to visit family in New York, sometimes we just celebrated with relatives, sometimes we also invited friends. When I was in college I sometimes invited some international students who didn't go home to celebrate with us.

This year Christmas Eve midnight mass and dinner etc. will be with my parents and other relatives, Christmas Day we have to go to morning mass with my in laws, then there is a brunch at my sisters' godparents on Christmas Day, then Christmas dinner with the in-laws, then go to the later part of a late Christmas dinner my parents decided to throw for some friends and family for the heck of it.... so it will be busy!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    I live in the community where I grew up so I don't have far to go :D
    ________
    BeautifullNightmare
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I kinda go home, but my parents are local, so we don't sleep there. They have Christmas Eve with their kids and grandkids, putting up the tree and stuff. Now that we all have our own homes and kids, we open the gifts that night, and the stockings (my absolute favorite part).
    This year we're still doing the 24th like usual, but the 25th is at my sister's house because the parents are leaving on the 26th for 2 months in FL.
    In the past we'd do the 24th with my family and the 25th with dh's family.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    We live pretty close to our parents and where we grew up, so we don't actually go "home" but we alternate between my parents and dh's for Thanksgiving. When we move into our house I assume we will start hosting it occasionally. We also alternate Passover seders and Rosh Hashanah. Only dh's parents have people over for one of the nights of Hannukah and we celebrate the rest of the nights at home as a nuclear family.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file