How do you put your hair up?

hadtochangemynamehadtochangemyname Posts: 628Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I know that sounds like a simple question, but I need new ideas because I'm really tired of messing with my hair while I'm growing it out.

I am overweight and need "bigger hair" to balance out my head and body, lest I look like a pinhead, so no tight ponytails for me. Lately I have been sticking to only loose updos with tendrils falling out, usually done with just a bunch of bobby pins.

It hasn't been below 90 degrees since May, and I hate it when my hair touches me, so I put my hair up every single freaking day. Which is great for 2nd and 3rd day hair, but it seems like such a sad waste of my pretty curls on their first day.

When I work outside the home I have to wear a baseball cap as part of my uniform, so I have been doing two low pigtails and looping them back around to have little buns, then pulling out some loose curls here and there to give them fullness and to have some spiraly tendrils. But that only looks good with a hat.

I have bangs I am growing out, so I wear a very thin metal headband to keep them off my face (I can't wear the stretchy ones that go all the way around the head because they feel like they are going to slide off all the time).

I think claw/jaw clips are horribly ugly, as are scrunchies, and wouldn't ever leave my house with my hair in either of them (no offense to those who love them, just NOT my thing) although I do like the Goody "updo claw" and condor clips. I like the scarf/headband look, but it only looked good on me when my hair has been straightened, when I try it with curls, my head looks like a fat lady wearing a corset. Or a mushroom.

Any suggestions? What do you do?
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]
[/FONT]

Comments

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    I don't know the exact length so I'm guessing here based on the looped pigtails. You might like peacock twist. Here is a video. It wouldn't work too well for your baseball cap, but for the other times. It's nice because curls flop out at the top so you have some volume and get to show your curls. You can probably do it with your Goody claw and get the hair to flop over it so the claw doesn't really show.
  • hadtochangemynamehadtochangemyname Posts: 628Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Actually when I used to straighten my hair I wore it up like that all the time with the updo or the condor clips (I would put those in sort of a diagonal across the hair).

But when it is curly, it just sort of looks like a poofy bun in the back. Sometimes I try to pull out a curl or two to get them to hang down at more of an angle rather than just one poof. But it usually just looks like a mess:

when straight:
    thanksgiving06041.jpg

when curly and all pulled back (pinhead):
    213.jpg

and when I try to leave a bit of fringe for volume, I look like a poofy mess:
    41.jpg
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]
    [/FONT]
    Are you putting it up when it's already dry and curly? It may help to style it out of the shower. Then, you can style the parts that are out the way that you would if all your hair was down. You can even diffuse them a little.

BTW I'm totally not getting the pinhead thing, lol. But often the things we don't like of our own hair are things that others would never notice.
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't get the pinhead thing either. You are absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful. The eyes, the hair, the skin...everything is beautiful.

Now, for the updo thing. If you don't like jaw clips, have you looked into flexi-8's? I love those things. Go to www.flexi8.com (I hope) and you can see all the different styles you can do.

Also, rather than bobby pins (I hate them because they give me a headache), I use hairpins that are made out of plastic. They hold a lot more hair than regular bobby pins or hair pins and two or three will hold my hair up in a twist. See picture below.

SBS-409000?wid=250&hei=250&fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.9,1.0,4,0&iccEmbed=0

Or hair sticks are always a good option. I love me some good hair sticks!

SunshineGrrl, you can use sticks? I just became able to again recently and my hair is longer. Is your hair better behaved or are you just more leet?
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    SunshineGrrl, you can use sticks? I just became able to again recently and my hair is longer. Is your hair better behaved or are you just more leet?

Just more creative, probably. Well, it didn't help that I got length and huge layers put in recently. I lost like 1/2 my ponytail.

Anywho, I usually secure 2-3 spots with dark pony tail holders, then twist them to do mini twists where the hair is sticking up. There are usually 2 on the bottom and one on the middle back portion so it can hold all the layers together. I secure them either with bobby pins, hair pins or the plastic hair pins until it looks like some totally intricate updo, then stick hair sticks in for adornment. I can't use them the traditional way yet and the way I'm going, I may never be able to. Eh, creativity always works for me.

Oh that's it, ha! I refuse to use more stuff. :glasses9:
    oh I have to try out those plastic hairpins, they look infinitely more useful than bobby pins! thanks!

When my hair was thicker and longer I used to be a master with the hair sticks, just would twist the back so it was facing up (like the peacock twist), slide one stick down in diagonally, sort of weaving it in and out, and then slide the other stick in diagonally the other way, being sure to wedge the first stick inbetween some hair and the second stick.

I used to put my girlfriends' hair up with bar straws like that when we were out too LOL but that was at least 10 years ago, not sure if I could pull it off now with the hair I have today!

Thank you both for your kind words as far as the pinhead thing. You really have to see my whole self to see what I mean about balancing the hair with the body. I just simply cannot do the slicked back ponytail look, or a headband if I don't have straight bangs, and I sort of feel like I have a "fivehead" also (usually wore bangs to cover it when I used to straighten) so I just feel more comfortable with some type of something to frame my face.

Sometimes I think if I were thinner I could just keep shorter hair and be done with it. Then it would be so easy! But I've had short hair since I've become a larger person and I've seen enough pictures of myself to know it is *not* a good look for me (isn't it funny how you can think you look good in a mirror, but a pic will tell you the unvarnished truth?)

I will try putting it up wet first... I don't have a lot of hair so I'm not sure how it will work but its worth a try! Fortunately I have an entire week off work so I can experiment to my heart's content and the only person who has to see it is my boyfriend. :-)
    [/FONT]
  • ibraidhairibraidhair Posts: 343Registered Users
    Maybe if you did your hair like in the last pic, but didn't leave as much fringe down, or maybe more defined seperate ringlets. I think that would look great. When I leave tendrils hanging, I smooth a tiny bit of gel down each individual ringlet and scrunch. This gives them more definition and cuts down on frizz.
  • avsfanavsfan Posts: 95Registered Users
    In growing hair out, why is it good to put your hair up? Wouldn't it be better to have it hang and not have any pressure on the scalp with pins/sticks/etc?

And since I guess I'm supposed to put it up, is it best to do it dry or wet?
    Sulfate- and non-water-soluble silicone-free since 8/2008

Just about medium everything:
    medium texture, low-medium porosity, medium density
    Day One hair: 2c
    Day Two hair: 2a
    2c-3a in the summer time

Protein sensitive. Still looking for
    products...
    used to have curls, now it's consistently just waves...
    avsfan wrote: »
    In growing hair out, why is it good to put your hair up? Wouldn't it be better to have it hang and not have any pressure on the scalp with pins/sticks/etc?

It's not good to put it up, just sometimes easier than dealing with hair in your face while it's growing out to an acceptable updo length and/or a length to where it will stay out of your face (if such a thing exists).

It depends on your preference whether you put it up wet or dry. If I want the curls to show, I wait until it's dry (or if I'm doing an updo on 2nd day hair). If I want to just pull it up because I don't want to fuss with it or don't care if my curls show, I do it wet.

• mumofcurlygirlmumofcurlygirl Posts: 472Registered Users
    I don't get the pinhead thing either. You are absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful. The eyes, the hair, the skin...everything is beautiful.

Now, for the updo thing. If you don't like jaw clips, have you looked into flexi-8's? I love those things. Go to www.flexi8.com (I hope) and you can see all the different styles you can do.

Also, rather than bobby pins (I hate them because they give me a headache), I use hairpins that are made out of plastic. They hold a lot more hair than regular bobby pins or hair pins and two or three will hold my hair up in a twist. See picture below.

SBS-409000?wid=250&hei=250&fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.9,1.0,4,0&iccEmbed=0

Sunshine Grrl-

Thanks so much for the flexi8 link Ive just ordered a tinkerbell flexi8 for my curly 5 yr old, it was only $7 shipping to the UK!!

oreosmakemehappy- your hair looks so pretty in the photo's :)
    Trying to work out my 5 year olds 2c fine frizzy/curly hair

http://public.fotki.com/angel6901/
    Password; curlygirl

Loving KBB and Kinky Curly!! :love7::
    You are welcome. I love them, own like 10 of them. No, I'm not kidding. 10.

• Co1029Co1029 Posts: 22Registered Users
    Hmmm...

I'm not getting the pin-head thing at all. I think you look beautiful in all of your pictures. I think your hair looks spectacular when you pull it back while its curly. I personally love your hair!
    3b with the occasional 3c thrown in for excitement

Would kill for second day hair!
  • QuirkyYoginiQuirkyYogini Posts: 569Registered Users

It's not good to put it up, just sometimes easier than dealing with hair in your face while it's growing out to an acceptable updo length and/or a length to where it will stay out of your face (if such a thing exists).

It depends on your preference whether you put it up wet or dry. If I want the curls to show, I wait until it's dry (or if I'm doing an updo on 2nd day hair). If I want to just pull it up because I don't want to fuss with it or don't care if my curls show, I do it wet.

I thought the whole point of putting your hair up was so your ends did not get manipulated, causing split ends, and resulting in breakage and a growth plateau.
    I have 3c hair that I haven't straightened in over 5 years. It's just past shoulder length when dry, and almost waist length when pulled straight.

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG
    05/12/09 Still CG. Cowashing with VO5 Lavender Luster. I then condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Styling with VO5 Lavender Luster conditioner with my wide-toothed comb.

http://public.fotki.com/QuirkyYogini/

I thought the whole point of putting your hair up was so your ends did not get manipulated, causing split ends, and resulting in breakage and a growth plateau.

Sorry, I should have qualified my comment. For me, it's not necessarily better to pull it up while trying to grow it out, just easier to keep it off your face. When wearing it natural, I don't think there's as much danger for split ends as damage because there isn't intensive heat damage, like when I was straightening.

• ibraidhairibraidhair Posts: 343Registered Users
    It is good for protecting the ends, but I think this is something that only people with very long hair think about... people who have hair long enough to get caught in things like doors and chairs and such. The longer the hair is, the older and more fragile it is. Therefore, the more careful you should be with it. We must protect it from things like clothing made of coarse fabric, from getting scrubbed between my body and the back of my chair, from being whipped around by the wind, etc. Those things wouldn't necessarily be harmful to shorter, younger hair.

On the other hand, you have to be careful of how you put it up. Find methods, positions, and accessories that allow you to distribute the weight more evenly. If you're pulling it too tight or causing pressure points on your scalp, it can lead to severe breakage and hair loss. A good thing to put into practice is to do your hair up differently every time. Putting it up the same way every time will consistently put pressure on the same areas and cause problems in those areas.

Hope that helps! :)
  • avsfanavsfan Posts: 95Registered Users
    ibraidhair wrote: »
    It is good for protecting the ends, but I think this is something that only people with very long hair think about... people who have hair long enough to get caught in things like doors and chairs and such. The longer the hair is, the older and more fragile it is. Therefore, the more careful you should be with it. We must protect it from things like clothing made of coarse fabric, from getting scrubbed between my body and the back of my chair, from being whipped around by the wind, etc. Those things wouldn't necessarily be harmful to shorter, younger hair.

On the other hand, you have to be careful of how you put it up. Find methods, positions, and accessories that allow you to distribute the weight more evenly. If you're pulling it too tight or causing pressure points on your scalp, it can lead to severe breakage and hair loss. A good thing to put into practice is to do your hair up differently every time. Putting it up the same way every time will consistently put pressure on the same areas and cause problems in those areas.

Hope that helps! :)
    GREAT advice. Very helpful! Thank you!
    Sulfate- and non-water-soluble silicone-free since 8/2008

Just about medium everything:
    medium texture, low-medium porosity, medium density
    Day One hair: 2c
    Day Two hair: 2a
    2c-3a in the summer time

Protein sensitive. Still looking for
    products...
    used to have curls, now it's consistently just waves...
  • CaleilaniCaleilani Posts: 728Registered Users
    When I put my up it's usually after I wash and condition it.I put it in a ponytail and braid it and bobbypin it to the very top of my head with the ends tucked underneath,the ends get moisturized from the stuff I put in my hair.I let it stay like that for days.
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
  • sillygrlsillygrl Posts: 3Registered Users
    There is a discount code for Flexi-8 clips - blue-32088... This gives you either 10% off, or 1 free for every 4 you buy!

Have fun :)
    Trying to figure out this whole CG thing...

okay, an update...

I bought those hair pins in the pic... :thumbdown: for me... my hair is too thin/fine and they fall out.

BUT I bought a stretchy wide cotton headband with elastic on the bottom (goes all around the head) and I love it! It covers up part of my "fivehead" and the front of my hair, great for that inbetween growing out the bangs hair. And as long as I let it be full and bushy in the back, I don't get the "pinhead" look.

I was first wearing it only to the beach (I get sunburn on my scalp cuz my hair is so thin on top) but I like it enough to wear it all the time, and it doesn't give me a headband like the metal ones I was using do, nor does it "creep up" the back of my head like the skinnier elastic ones. Must get more colors...

Lately when I don't wear the headband, I've just been twisting it and putting it up in a comb or clip with the top spilling out (peacock twist in post #2)... I like it when I have curls springing out and dangling from it.
    [/FONT]
  • MichelleMichelle Administrator Posts: 739Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Michelle
    co-founder
    NaturallyCurly.com
  • impendingraptureimpendingrapture Posts: 16Registered Users
    So I just went CG yesterday and would just love to keep my hair down for the next several months to see what my hair's natural splendor may amount to, but I work in healthcare. I am required to have my hair up during the week, and I'm afraid it will hinder the curl pattern in my hair from fully developing. I can try and dry my hair most days then put it up once I'm at work, but realistically there are going to be alot of days where I'm running out of the house with dripping wet hair. So, I'm sure I'm not the only CG who has to keep the curlies safe from entering sterile fields, looking for any advise or tricks you ladies might have. I will also ask in a new thread when I can figure out how to do that!!
    Mod CG since September 2010
    2 a/b some 3 on a good day- not usually:cwm10:
    Pretty sure protein is a problem, yet I keep trying
    no poo so far!
    :iroc:
    Developing some strong PJ tendencies...
    Co-wash, rinse, leave-in: Tresemme naturals radiant volume condish
    Styling products:
    re:coil, LOOB

PLOP IT LIKE IT'S HOT, PLOP IT LIKE IT'S HOT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list