Do you eat low carb?

SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
I realize my diet is mainly carbs, and I love it! But my diet doesn’t love me. Carbs make me moody and sluggish, and I get hungrier sooner. So I’m reducing my carb intake, but I don’t want to go full-on Atkins.

What do you low carb eaters eat in a typical day? Have any good meal or dish recipes? I hate eggs and cottage cheese.

Comments

• pinksugarpinksugar Registered Users Posts: 2,346 Curl Connoisseur
    I've been following a modified low-carb lifestyle for about a year now. I initially started it because diabetes runs on both sides of my family, but it has also been great in aiding weightloss and maintenance. My husband started following it 2 months ago and has lost 17 lbs! Here are some ideas in no particular order:

Italian Sausage and Bell Peppers in homemade sauce
    Chicken and Coleslaw
    Some Fruit (yes, they are carbs, but they are natural)
    Chicken and Asparagus
    Chef Salad
    Asian Chicken Salad
    Chicken Caesar Salad
    Whole Grain Cheerios
    Steak and Garden Salad
    Vegetable Beef Soup (homemade)
    Nuts (for a snack)
    Low carb spaghetti in meat sauce

I'm sure you can tell I prefer Chicken as my protein. I definitely feel better since I've been eating low-carb. I eat A LOT more vegetables. I was never good at eating my vegetables but actually like them now.

I'm not a dietician. I'm just doing what works for me.

When I think of some more meals I will post them. Good luck on anything you decide to do!
  • pinksugarpinksugar Registered Users Posts: 2,346 Curl Connoisseur
    I forgot to answer your question about daily intake. It varies for me so I didn't know what to say. Sometimes I eat from home and sometimes we go out. I just try to stick to some of the things I listed above.

We went to Claim Jumper a couple weeks ago. I had no idea what to order but ended up with: Rotisserie Chicken, Asparagus, and Parmesan Zucchini. There was "some" breading on the Zucchini but not a lot. I loved that meal!
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    I'm not low carb but like you, too much makes me feel gross.

Salads with some form of protein on it are a good way to go.

I can handle some pasta if there's enough other stuff mixed in it. Al dente pasta, even if it's made from white flour, is not supposed to have a really bad glycemic index, because it's more compacted with less surface area. Lighter and fluffier carbs get broken down faster and lead to the weird sugar coma feeling.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I've been low carb for about ten years. It's fairly easy. You need to learn carb counts and what's worth it to you. There are a lot more things available to work with: Dreamfields Pasta, Mission and other low carb tortillas, Splenda. I don't like cottage cheese, but do like ricotta. When I worked, I took a jar of ricotta with sugar free vanilla DeVinci Syrup on it. It tastes like the inside of a cannolli. Lunch was a chicken Ceasar, no croutons, or other salad with lots of protein, low carb veggies and dressing. Snacks were nuts and/or cheese. Dinner was meat, fish or poultry and a big salad (Spring Mix, cabbage, cucumber, celery, a few grape tomatoes, cheese, hard boiled egg, bacon bits, real mayo and a little bottled Italian dressing.) When I was losing weight, I kept to under 30 grams. When maintaining, I keep to under 50.

The most important thing is to plan. You have to have the stuff around. I buy POUNDs (like 25) of nuts at a time. I keep lots of cheese around. If you aren't in a losing mode, you can have some melon, berries, or peaches/nectarines. You have to be really careful. Fruit is sugar--and needs to be limited.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • susancnwsusancnw Registered Users Posts: 1,374 Curl Novice
    I'm reading the South Beach books again, joined one of the yahoo groups and I get the SB diet online daily tips.

So I will be starting it sometime in the next month. I got contacts again last week, I have great hair (all of us do) and while the wardrobe could use some work, it will be easier as I lose weight as I can get back INTO some clothes.

It's apparently not really that difficult...knowing that Kathymack has done it for so long is really encouraging. It's a mindset and lifestyle.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    I've started the Zone Diet. Carbs are "good" carbs from fruits and veggies, and not from the traditional breads/grain/cereal sources- It's ony been a few days and it's been easier than I thought, because I LOVE bread,crackers... I've only noticed a couple of pounds lost, but my tummy doesn't feel as bloated. I'm also PMSing, and surprisingly, I'm not have the horrible salt/sweet cravings I usually do.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Registered Users Posts: 3,077
    I have been doing the South Beach Diet for three weeks now and have lost 8 pounds. I am overjoyed, because I was having a lot of trouble losing weight even though I was exercising regularly and counting calories. I haven't even been exercising much in those three weeks - I've been so busy with school starting that my exercise routine is all out of whack. I can't wait to see my progress once I start exercising regularly again!

I like South Beach because there's no counting calories or macros (carbs, fats, protein). Basically you just have a list of foods to avoid and foods to enjoy, and a few requirements for minimum and maximums for certain foods.

The only real problem I have run into is that my weight loss stalled for about a week and I was feeling kind of weak; then, I realized I was eating way too little per day. Everything I was eating was so filling that I wasn't eating nearly enough and my body was in starvation mode. Once I started eating more, my weight loss started back up again at a good rate.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    Its a good idea not to go full on Atkins. Atkins is a fad diet. I have taken many classes in anatomy and physiology, and I think that diet is a horrible, horrible idea.

I, like you, have alot of carbs in my diet. I switched to whole grain or wheat pastas. That made a difference in how I feel after eating them!
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    I've been low-carb for over 9 years and going strong.
    I started off on Atkins and have adjusted a bit from there but not a whole lot. It's not hard as long as I keep the junk out of the house. With kids at home I will buy them the snacks they like but I don't like.
    Planning is so very key, as kathymack said. In the beginnning my sister helped me get started and called me twice a day asking me what my plan was for meals and snacks. It really helped to make me sit down and plan ahead. Breakfast is an absolute must. It helps start out the day and keeps you from grabbing just anything. The first 4 days I starved because I didn't know what I was doing. After I read the book and knew what I was doing, I wasn't hungry often. In order for me to lose weight I had to keep the carbs down around 30g per day or less. However, once I started Ttapp I could go up to 100g and even a little more and not gain.

My favorites over the years have changed, but I still like all I've had.
    chicken with artichokes: cooked in a cream sauce then covered in parmesean cheese. Serve with broccoli or green beans
    ham roll ups: spread softened cream cheese on a slightly thick slice of ham, put a seeded cucumber spear at one end, roll up, then slice into 'coins'. This is great as a lunch, snack, or appetizer.
    Italian sausage with a slice of cheese
    chicken salad: diced chicken, diced green and red peppers, sour cream, a bit of seasoning. Eat with a fork
    tuna salad: tuna, sugar-free or health food mayonnaise, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes. eat with fork
    Chicken baked in enchilada sauce, cover with shredded cheese
    Chicken baked in spaghetti sauce, cover in mozzarella cheese
    marinated chicken or steak cooked on the grill or broiler oven
    crab spread: 1 can of lump crab, drained, combined with 1 brick of softened cream cheese, a dash of lemon juice, 1 tsp cream, onion and garlic powder for seasoning. Combine all of this and put on low-carb crackers or vege wedges.

desserts: sugar-free Jello
    sugar-free jello pudding but mix with 1 cup water, well blend, then 1 cup cream. It won't be the consistency of regular pudding, but tastes good. I've never done it but a friend added softened cream cheese which gave a slightly nutty taste and more creamy texture.
    Mix 1 brick cream cheese with 1 tsp vanilla and 2T splenda and blend well. Pipe into hulled strawberries and top with an almond sliver.
    Jello 'cake': Prepare 1 4 serving box of sugar-free Jello as usual, pour into a 8x8 or 9x9 pan, refrigerate. When solid, prepare another box of sugar-free jello using 1 c boiling water. Don't add cold water! Combine with 1 8 oz container of Sugar Free Cool Whip, pour over previous jello. Refrigerate until solid. Slice and serve.

In the beginning, for dinners I cooked a main meat, a side dish low-carb veggie or a salad, then a vege or noodle side for the rest of my family. In doing this I didn't have to make diffferent meals for myself and them. The down-side is my youngest kids lost their taste for casseroles.

There are a lot of low-carb recipe sites out there.

Low-carb tortillas and Wasa Fiber Rye crackers are good for maintenance or special ocassions.

I hope I'm not too late with these suggestions. I just saw this thread today.

kathymack, I'm so glad to finally run into someone who's followed a low-carb lifestyle for more than 6 months!
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    I've been low-carb for over 9 years and going strong.
    I started off on Atkins and have adjusted a bit from there but not a whole lot. It's not hard as long as I keep the junk out of the house. With kids at home I will buy them the snacks they like but I don't like.
    Planning is so very key, as kathymack said. In the beginnning my sister helped me get started and called me twice a day asking me what my plan was for meals and snacks. It really helped to make me sit down and plan ahead. Breakfast is an absolute must. It helps start out the day and keeps you from grabbing just anything. The first 4 days I starved because I didn't know what I was doing. After I read the book and knew what I was doing, I wasn't hungry often. In order for me to lose weight I had to keep the carbs down around 30g per day or less. However, once I started Ttapp I could go up to 100g and even a little more and not gain.

My favorites over the years have changed, but I still like all I've had.
    chicken with artichokes: cooked in a cream sauce then covered in parmesean cheese. Serve with broccoli or green beans
    ham roll ups: spread softened cream cheese on a slightly thick slice of ham, put a seeded cucumber spear at one end, roll up, then slice into 'coins'. This is great as a lunch, snack, or appetizer.
    Italian sausage with a slice of cheese
    chicken salad: diced chicken, diced green and red peppers, sour cream, a bit of seasoning. Eat with a fork
    tuna salad: tuna, sugar-free or health food mayonnaise, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes. eat with fork
    Chicken baked in enchilada sauce, cover with shredded cheese
    Chicken baked in spaghetti sauce, cover in mozzarella cheese
    marinated chicken or steak cooked on the grill or broiler oven
    crab spread: 1 can of lump crab, drained, combined with 1 brick of softened cream cheese, a dash of lemon juice, 1 tsp cream, onion and garlic powder for seasoning. Combine all of this and put on low-carb crackers or vege wedges.

desserts: sugar-free Jello
    sugar-free jello pudding but mix with 1 cup water, well blend, then 1 cup cream. It won't be the consistency of regular pudding, but tastes good. I've never done it but a friend added softened cream cheese which gave a slightly nutty taste and more creamy texture.
    Mix 1 brick cream cheese with 1 tsp vanilla and 2T splenda and blend well. Pipe into hulled strawberries and top with an almond sliver.
    Jello 'cake': Prepare 1 4 serving box of sugar-free Jello as usual, pour into a 8x8 or 9x9 pan, refrigerate. When solid, prepare another box of sugar-free jello using 1 c boiling water. Don't add cold water! Combine with 1 8 oz container of Sugar Free Cool Whip, pour over previous jello. Refrigerate until solid. Slice and serve.

In the beginning, for dinners I cooked a main meat, a side dish low-carb veggie or a salad, then a vege or noodle side for the rest of my family. In doing this I didn't have to make diffferent meals for myself and them. The down-side is my youngest kids lost their taste for casseroles.

There are a lot of low-carb recipe sites out there.

Low-carb tortillas and Wasa Fiber Rye crackers are good for maintenance or special ocassions.

I hope I'm not too late with these suggestions. I just saw this thread today.

kathymack, I'm so glad to finally run into someone who's followed a low-carb lifestyle for more than 6 months!

Ok, you need to share the recipe for this...it sounds delish!!!
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    It is so simple! I'm sorry I don't have measurements, I go by how it looks.
    Brown chicken pieces (I prefer boneless, skinless thighs) in a bit of olive oil. Pour in a jar of artichoke hearts plus the liquid, some chicken broth and add a little bit of lemon juice and some cream, basically enough to cover the sides of the chicken pieces. Cover and cook until the chicken is done. Then take off the lid and let the liquid reduce. Sprinkle parmesean cheese before serving.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file