Media bias?

Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
What does media bias mean in the context of a political election?

The NYT doesn't run a McCain OpEd. FoxNews has three Obama stories in a 15 minute period. Newsweek has Obama on the cover every other week.

If everyone is complaining, does that mean things are equitable?

Comments

• Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i don't think so. NYT decided not to run the op-ed because McCain didn't want to engage in a back and forth discussion about his piece, something that the NYT always does with op-ed pieces. He just wanted to be able to say his piece and not have to defend it. Which he CAN do...its called an advertisement! It's a bit different from what Fox News does to Obama. They pick apart every single thing he does, and often time, they use some sterotype about muslim or black people to try and reinforce the idea that he's a terrorist or some radical pro-black person.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    The NYT wanted McCain's op-ed to mirror Obama's, not state his own opinions.

If McCain's would have been an advertisement, what in the world do you call the media circus that is accompanying Obama on his trip to the ME? Lord, you'd think he was the Crown Prince or God.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think you need to reread what I posted. If McCain didn't want to follow the format that the NYT has always used, then he is still free to have it printed in the paper...AS AN ADVERTISEMENT (meaning that he pays for it). The format that Obama used is the format the the NYT has always used...they didn't just make this up all of a sudden.

Obama is getting the media attention because it is what the people want to see/hear. Its also why Fox new covers the anti-Obama stories that it does....folks like you wanna read/hear that. The media caters to its viewing audience.

Each political canidate has media that accompany them while on the campaign trail. Members of the associated press, the major news networks, and free lance journalists. The opportunity to get media coverage is the same for each canidate. Maybe McCain needs to step his game up and actually do something worth reporting rather than repeating the same tired a$$ stuff.

12459237.png
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    I think you need to reread what I posted. If McCain didn't want to follow the format that the NYT has always used, then he is still free to have it printed in the paper...AS AN ADVERTISEMENT (meaning that he pays for it). The format that Obama used is the format the the NYT has always used...they didn't just make this up all of a sudden.

Obama is getting the media attention because it is what the people want to see/hear. Its also why Fox new covers the anti-Obama stories that it does....folks like you wanna read/hear that. The media caters to its viewing audience.

Each political canidate has media that accompany them while on the campaign trail. Members of the associated press, the major news networks, and free lance journalists. The opportunity to get media coverage is the same for each canidate. Maybe McCain needs to step his game up and actually do something worth reporting rather than repeating the same tired a$$ stuff.

Maybe he repeats himself as he has a record to refer back to, unlike Obama.

Back when I first started seeing Obama stickers 2 years ago, I asked the drivers about him, and got some good information. So I went out on my own and checked things out...and the deeper I dug, the less I liked what I was uncovering.

It's pretty simple.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• Ms KittyMs Kitty Posts: 556Registered Users
    McCain didn't invite the press when he went overseas.

If you think he's so great please explain this:

John McCain made a mistake this evening, which as far as I'm concerned, disqualifies him from being president. It is so appalling and so factually wrong that I'm actually sitting here wondering who McCain's advisers are. This isn't some gaffe where he talks about the Iraq-Pakistan border. It's a real misunderstanding of what has happened in Iraq over the past year. It is even more disturbing because according to John McCain, Iraq is the central front in the "war on terror." If we are going to have an Iraq-centric policy, he should at least understand what he is talking about. But anyway, what happened.

On Katie Couric tonight McCain says:

Kate Couric: Senator McCain, Senator Obama says, while the increased number of US troops contributed to increased security in Iraq, he also credits the Sunni awakening and the Shiite government going after militias. And says that there might have been improved security even without the surge. What's your response to that?

McCain: I don't know how you respond to something that is as -- such a false depiction of what actually happened. Colonel McFarlane [phonetic] was contacted by one of the major Sunni sheiks. Because of the surge we were able to go out and protect that sheik and others. And it began the Anbar awakening. I mean, that's just a matter of history. Thanks to General Petraeus, our leadership, and the sacrifice of brave young Americans. I mean, to deny that their sacrifice didn't make possible the success of the surge in Iraq, I think, does a great disservice to young men and women who are serving and have sacrificed.

One problem. The surge wasn't even announced until a few months after the Anbar Awakening. Via Spencer Ackerman, here is Colonel MacFarland explaining the Anbar Awakening to Pam Hass of UPI, on September 29, 2006. That would be almost four months before the President even announced the surge. Petraeus wasn't even in Iraq yet.

With respect to the violence between the Sunnis and the al Qaeda -- actually, I would disagree with the assessment that the al Qaeda have the upper hand. That was true earlier this year when some of the sheikhs began to step forward and some of the insurgent groups began to fight against al Qaeda. The insurgent groups, the nationalist groups, were pretty well beaten by al Qaeda.

This is a different phenomena that's going on right now. I think that it's not so much the insurgent groups that are fighting al Qaeda, it's the -- well, it used to be the fence-sitters, the tribal leaders, are stepping forward and cooperating with the Iraqi security forces against al Qaeda, and it's had a very different result. I think al Qaeda has been pushed up against the ropes by this, and now they're finding themselves trapped between the coalition and ISF on the one side, and the people on the other.

And here is the NY Times talking about the Anbar Awakening back in March 2007.

The formation of the group in September shocked many Sunni Arabs. It was the most public stand anyone in Anbar had taken against Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia, which was founded by the Jordanian militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

And here is Colin Kahl in Foreign Affairs:

The Awakening began in Anbar Province more than a year before the surge and took off in the summer and fall of 2006 in Ramadi and elsewhere, long before extra U.S. forces started flowing into Iraq in February and March of 2007. Throughout the war, enemy-of-my-enemy logic has driven Sunni decision-making. The Sunnis have seen three "occupiers" as threats: the United States, the Shiites (and their presumed Iranian patrons), and the foreigners and extremists in AQI. Crucial to the Awakening was the reordering of these threats.

This is not controversial history. It is history that anyone trying out for Commander and Chief must understand when there are 150,000 American troops stationed in Iraq. It is an absolutely essential element to the story of the past two years. YOU CANNOT GET THIS WRONG. Moreover, what is most disturbing is that according to McCain's inaccurate version of history, military force came first and solved all of our problems. If that is the lesson he takes from the Anbar Awakening, I am afraid it is the lesson he will apply to every other crisis he faces including, for example, Iran.

This is just incredibly disturbing. I have no choice but to conclude that John McCain has simply no idea what is actually happened and happening in Iraq

http://www.huffingtonpost.com Go here and read for yourself McCain is an idiot.:cry:
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    Coconut,Jojoba and JBC oils
    Rosemary Oil/w horsetail,coltsfoot and Nettle leaves.
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

http://public.fotki.com/mj11051
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    I like what I see in Obama. He's a decent person. I don't see what there is to dislike. That being said, liking him doesn't mean he's the best candidate for president. I've said it before, I think there's something wrong with me that I can prefer candidate A without feeling the need to find fault, pick at, or make overtly negative comments about candidate B.

I'm waiting for the "Why McCain thread" to blow up with people supporting him and his viewpoints. I sure people with multiple posts in the "Obama is nuts" thread will make an equal number of positive posts about McCain.

But back to media....Is it Obama's fault if the media follow him around so closely?
    hum...i'm gonna have to reseach that...i didn't leave work until late tonight and missed the news. I wonder if i can watch this clip online of the interview?

12459237.png
    He invited the media. And I can't understand how you would vote for man that doesn't know Czechoslovakia hasn't existed since 1993. Or one that thinks Iraq and Pakistan share a border. This man is not qualified to President.:thumbdown:
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

hum...i'm gonna have to reseach that...i didn't leave work until late tonight and missed the news. I wonder if i can watch this clip online of the interview?

Go to Keith Olbermann @msnbc.com
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

Ms Kitty wrote: »
    He invited the media. And I can't understand how you would vote for man that doesn't know Czechoslovakia has existed since 1993. Or one that thinks Iraq and Pakistan share a border. This man is not qualified to President.:thumbdown:

LMAO...i guess it really doesn't matter what boarders what when your master plan is to blow it all up....

12459237.png
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    What does Obama inviting the media to follow him have to do with them doing it? Of course he invited him.....they didn't have to go. If inviting them is the answer, then McCain et al need to stop complaining and just invite the media.
    Myradella3 wrote: »
    What does Obama inviting the media to follow him have to do with them doing it? Of course he invited him.....they didn't have to go. If inviting them is the answer, then McCain et al need to stop complaining and just invite the media.

And there you have it folks! good night and god bless!!!

12459237.png
    Ms Kitty wrote: »
    He invited the media. And I can't understand how you would vote for man that doesn't know Czechoslovakia has existed since 1993. Or one that thinks Iraq and Pakistan share a border. This man is not qualified to President.:thumbdown:

LMAO...i guess it really doesn't matter what boarders what when your master plan is to blow it all up....

LMAO OKAY!!!
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

Myradella3 wrote: »

McCain was whining about the media having a love affair with Barack and when McCain went on his tour he didn't invite media. They went because they were invited.
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

• RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    As I said in the other thread, I don't like McCain. I also don't like Obama.

Well, maybe "don't like" is too strong. I don't like either of them for president. Not that it matters, since that's what I'm stuck with. Regardless though, I'm not sure how anyone can deny that Obama is a media darling and McCain is... not.
    DPTFm5.png
    Rheanna83 wrote: »

Well, maybe "don't like" is too strong. I don't like either of them for president. Not that it matters, since that's what I'm stuck with. Regardless though, I'm not sure how anyone can deny that Obama is a media darling and McCain is... not.

I don't think that it's so much that Obama is the media darling...I mean he gets a LOT of bad press as well as good press. I think that McCain is sorta of old news quite honestly. He ran an unsuccessful bid for the white house previously (lost the republic nom. to GWB i think) and honestly, non of his views have changed in the past 8 years (even though the world is DRASTICLY different). From what I've seen, McCain isn't saying anything differnt than what people expect him to say. What's the point in reporting that?

12459237.png
  • CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Posts: 956Banned Users
    Rheanna83 wrote: »

I don't think that it's so much that Obama is the media darling...I mean he gets a LOT of bad press as well as good press. I think that McCain is sorta of old news quite honestly. He ran an unsuccessful bid for the white house previously (lost the republic nom. to GWB i think) and honestly, non of his views have changed in the past 8 years (even though the world is DRASTICLY different). From what I've seen, McCain isn't saying anything differnt than what people expect him to say. What's the point in reporting that?

Yeah, what about that Wright jazz? I mostly watch MSNBC which is accused of being left wing media, but they were showing those Wright clips time and time again right along with the other channels. They weren't attempting to downplay it or put a positive spin on it (though how can you put a positive spin on that??).

From what I've seen when it comes to just playing the news stories, there isn't much bias, though I definitely see more bias with Fox than MSNBC. They'll be playing the same story, like the Obama Middle East trip for example. Fox is calling it a photo op - right there in the headline is "Obama Photo Op." MSNBC refers to it as Obama's Middle East trip which is... what it is. It's the commentators or pundits or whatever you want to call them that bring the bias. The shows on both stations - O'Reilly, Chris Matthews, Keith Olberman all seem quite biased to me. Chris IMO isn't as bad as the others. I watch him mostly because I get a kick out of his personality - I love when he laughs. If he has guests on and they're fighting amongst themselves, he doesn't choose sides. Case in point Pat Buchanan was on with a liberal guest, and Pat compared Obama to Adlai Stevenson, and McCain to Ike. The liberal man of course objected to that, and Chris broke in telling them they're like two old men on a park bench in Miami, arguing about Adlai Stevenson of all things. :laughing7: I love him. Anyway, Keith Olberman (on MSNBC) is definitely left, and I can't stand him. He always has something bad to say about conservatives, and takes it to an individual level. From what I've heard, O'Reilly is the same way, but I haven't watched him enough to know. I would guess just from seeing the way Fox presents news stories, that their commentators are even worse. Just from what I've witnessed, I think the bias is pretty much equal. CNN from what I've seen just plays the news stories over and over - they're pretty brief. I haven't noticed much bias from them. Aren't they pretty much like Headline News?
    "I'm half Hispanic, half white, and look like an Indian." - Bill Richardson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file