Used to be heavier... problem areas now

happy-girlhappy-girl Registered Users Posts: 208
In my early to mid 20's (I'm 30 now) I was about 50 pounds heavier than I am now. It took me about 2 years to lose the weight and I have maintained for 3 years. However, no matter how hard I work on my body I still have really bad problem areas. Particularly my butt, upper legs and lower tummy. The smallest I got was a size 6 and I was still flabby in those areas. I have tried running, weight lifting and a combo of both to no avail.
My question is this:
Can you ever really get rid of problem areas when you have been significantly overweight before?
My understanding is that under normal circumstances if you gain a little weight, your fat cells get bigger but there comes a point when you have gained so much that you actually produce more fat cells. When you lose the weight the cells shrink back down but you can't get rid of the extra ones. I'm just wondering if I'm dealing with areas where there was additional fat or if I can just bust my can harder to get rid of it?
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Mid-back length 3a, red.
Currently using: Joico, Redken, LA Looks Curl Look gel, BRHG.

Comments

• CurlEEEECurlEEEE Registered Users Posts: 308
    YES. I used to weigh about 45 pounds more than I do now. I too lost the weight in my early 20's. I had a lot of flab, skin left over. Not good. I would recommend working out. Do any type of cardio 3 days a week and do weights 3 days a week. Buy a heart rate monitor and make sure you are working within a heart rate that burns fat for you. I believe
    www.bodyforlife.com has information on this. Also interval workouts where you work very hard for a few minutes and then tone it back for a few minutes and repeat...burns a lot more fat in a shorter period of time.

It sounds like you need toning. I've found that using Arm toning bands and the stability ball are very good for toning. Weight lifting is too.

If you need additional info, I'd recommend any book on working out by Joyce Vedral. She has some good step by step workouts that really tone. You can get the books online or at barnes and noble. Good luck!
    3A/3B (not really sure)/No Shampoo/Conditioner Only/Honey/Aussie Volumizer+condish/Biolage Gel/Plop/Diffuse/Spritz of Bed Head Maxxed Out
    Password: CurlEEEE
    Oh and by the way...diet is a HUGE part of it. As you've probably figured out since you lost all that weight. Make sure you eat the proper amount of calories and most important protein. Do not eat any white carbs like bread, rice, sugar, etc. Stick with whole wheat, soy, bran, oats, brown rice, if you have to have carbs. You'll see a big difference.

A good food plan to follow is body for life. www.bodyforlife.com.

It is very good plan for toning and fat burning (flab burning)...

Good luck
    3A/3B (not really sure)/No Shampoo/Conditioner Only/Honey/Aussie Volumizer+condish/Biolage Gel/Plop/Diffuse/Spritz of Bed Head Maxxed Out
  • happy-girlhappy-girl Registered Users Posts: 208
    CurlEEEE,
    Have you found that you are able to get rid of the excess even after losing the weight? I get really bony in places (ribs, shoulders) but I still have flab in my problem areas. I'm afraid to lose too much more. I've been doing a lot of weights which does seem to help overall but I still have those dang areas that want to stay pudgy.
    Let me also say, just for the record, I'm not complaining about a little feminine fat that is supposed to stick around for the protection of the body, etc. I'm talking about gross, dimply PUDGE. :D
    Mid-back length 3a, red.
    Currently using: Joico, Redken, LA Looks Curl Look gel, BRHG.
    I've been able to tone up a lot. But I did eventually invest in lipo to hit the areas that would just not become better...even with working out 6 days a week.

I would try exercise first. If that doesn't work...lipo is good, but you have to maintain a good diet and workout plan to keep the fat from coming back.

I also have dimply areas...even after lipo. Remember...no one is perfect. You probably look better than most...
  • hairhealthhairhealth Registered Users Posts: 90
    I recently lost 70 pounds and am now a tight [as in, not loose] 14. My boobs suffered the most, so bad, I wear a bra 75% of the time. It's weird because areas like my midsection and my hips are really LOOSE. Even though I have toned thighs and calves from treadmilling, anywhere from incline 8.4-10 at around 3.5-3.8 mph...

But it has only been 6 months. Why is white bread so bad? Lately I have been craving potato bread like crazy so I gave in. If you are at the right amount of calories and don't have excess calories [ie no weight gain] is it still bad. Are calories, calories or no? CurlEEEE your post really made me wonder.

Congrats, happy-girl on maintaining, that is GREAT!!
    growout from baldy since 10/11
    modified cg; cones & mild sulfate 'poo
    -cowash: fave 2: vo5 strawberry
    -rinseout:herbal essencesbodyenvy;color mehappy
    -leave in: infusium 23 repair/renew spray
    -dc: gvp conditioning balm

www.fotki.com/browncoily :toothy4:
    White carbs like white bread and white potato and white rice, and anything with high fructose corn syrup are very bad. They make your insulin levels malfunction and you end up craving more sugar and eating more calories and gaining more fat. In addition they create bloat in most women.

Best bet is to stay with unprocessed carbohydrates...any type of bread that has "whole" in the title...like "whole grain" or "whole wheat"...Low carb tortillas or low carb pitas are also great. Most have a lot more protein because they are made with soy. Also they contain more fiber which keeps you full longer.

Protein builds muscle and muscle burns fat.

Good luck!
    Hairhealth,
    By the way. It sounds like you have a good plan going with the treadmill, but I think you'd see a lot more toning going on if you added some strength training into your routine (weight training). Joyce Vedral has many good books on the subject. You can get them at any Barnes and Noble. Or visit Denise Austin's website there are some good tips there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file