We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Are these products OK? (Phyto, Nexxus Organics)

baikabaika Posts: 117Registered Users
It's me again. Sorry to bother all the time but I really want to make sure I choose the right products for starting my no-poo routine.

So, for a leave-in, I found Phyto 7 (I've used it with my regular routine before, and I know it works, :toothy7:)

Here are the ingredients:
Lappa extract, rosemary extract, sage extract, willow leaf extract, calendula extract, cyamopsis extract, soy extract, sodium dehydroacetate, phenoxyethanol, butylparaben, ethylparaben
(do you see anything potentially harmful?)

Then, I need to pick a conditioner for CO-washing. I think I might like some of the Phyto Nexxus Organics conditioners.

I think the best one I found is the Hydraide.

Did I miss something harmful among those Ingredients?:
Aqua, Stearalkonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein Pg-propyl Silanetriol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Dog Rose Hips (Rosa Canina) Extract, Phyllostachis Bambusoides (Bamboo) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Sunflower (Helianthus Annuus) Seed Oil, Sodium Pca, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Phytantriol, Petrolatum, Stearyl Alcohol, Disodium Edta, Dmdm Hydantoin, Iodo- Propynyl Butylcarbamate, Polysorbate 60, Butylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicy- Late, Butylphenyl Methyl Propional, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Parfum/fragrance.

(sorry for that long list)

There were some other that looked good but they often had things like "Red 4 (CI 14700), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Blue 1 (CI 42090), Red 33 (CI 17200)". Is that something to be worried about?

And a funny question at the end: do you know if the products I picked smell nice? :wink:

Thanks a lot for any help!

Edited:

What about The Nature's Gate The Original Herbal Hair Conditioner? Would it be good for cowashing?

Ingredients: Water, Quaternium 87, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavander) Extract, Symphytum Officinale (Comfrey) Extract, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Nymphae Odorata (White Pond Lily) Root Extract, Nelumbo Nucifera Lotus Flower Extract, Quercus Alba Oak Bark Extract, Butylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance, Caramel

Comments

• BecciBecci Posts: 401Registered Users
    By what Im lead to believe mineral oil (paraffinum liquidum) can build up on your hair and you would need to clarify with shampoo to get it out.

Hope this helps.
    From U.K & started CG 13th July 08 :thumbleft:

Using VO5 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie for co-washing and conditioning.

Using Boots curl creme

Considering going Mod-CG and using H&S once a week to prevent build up, flakes and other nastys.:confused3:
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users
    The leave in doesn't look bad but I would be careful with the mineral oil in the Hydraide.

You might want to look into cheaper conditoners for cowashes. They work just as well and won't hurt your wallet!
  • baikabaika Posts: 117Registered Users
    Thanks to both of you :-)

What about Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner?
    Ingredients: Water, Cetrimonium Bromide, Cetearyl Alcohol (Coconut Oil Emulsifier), Sucrose Ester (Natural Sugar Ester), Vegetable Glycerin, Honey, Betaine (Sugar Beet), Hydroxypropyltrimonium Oligosaccharide (Sugar Moisturizer), Marula Oil, Glucose Sugar, Grapefruit Oil, Orange Oil, Lemon Oil, Ginger Oil, Petitgrain Oil, Polysorbate 60 (Sugar Emulsifier), Glucose Oxidase, Lactoperoxidase (Natural Preservative)

Or maybe the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose?
    Ingredients: Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Aloe Vera (Organic), Shea Butter (Organic), Wheat Germ Oil, Jojoba Oil (Organic), Rosa Mosqueta (Organic), Rose Hip Seed Oil, Extract of Fennel, Hops, Balm Mint, Mistletoe, Camomile, Yarrow, Chrysanthemum, Angelica, Forsythia, Honeysuckle Oil, Carrot Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamin A, C, E)

Thanks again! I would never now that the mineral oil could cause build-up.
  • BecciBecci Posts: 401Registered Users
    The AOHR is used by alot of people on this site but I havnt acctually tried it.

I used Original Source Mint and T-tree conditioner for co-washing and Original Sourse Almond and Coconut conditioner for CO.

I also use Pure coconut oil conditioner for DT and CO and I also use it as a leave in. I rotate what CO I use everyday so my hair doesnt get used to it.

Hope this helps.
    From U.K & started CG 13th July 08 :thumbleft:

Using VO5 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie for co-washing and conditioning.

Using Boots curl creme

Considering going Mod-CG and using H&S once a week to prevent build up, flakes and other nastys.:confused3:
    Both look good. I actually used AOHR and thought it was alright. It did give a lot of moisture but I really couldn't stand the smell.

Between the two, AOHR gives the most moisture. I haven't tried the Burt's Bees, however. Does your hair need a lot of moisture?
    I have fine hair that gets weighted down very easily. I need good moisture but not VERY much.

I'm also thinking about the conditioner for cowashing:
    The Nature's Gate The Original Herbal Hair Conditioner

Ingredients: Water, Quaternium 87, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavander) Extract, Symphytum Officinale (Comfrey) Extract, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Nymphae Odorata (White Pond Lily) Root Extract, Nelumbo Nucifera Lotus Flower Extract, Quercus Alba Oak Bark Extract, Butylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance, Caramel
    baika wrote: »
    I have fine hair that gets weighted down very easily. I need good moisture but not VERY much.

The AOHR may be too much for you. Try searching for some reviews on the board from fine haired curlies who have tried it out. Also, I'm sure the NG herbal could be used a cowash but I've seen it used as a regular rinseout more often than not. With that it mind, using it as a cowash may weigh you down. You could try VO5, Suave, or White Rain for a cheaper, just as effective cowash.

There is a website or thread here that lists some CG conditioners but I just can't track it down. Hopefully someone can chime in with the link. I do have the conditioner chronicles bookmarked http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=10605. It's a good starting place for conditioners
    Or the Desert Essence Organics Conditioners...?

I'm so lost...:sad8:

I know to avoid 'cones but did anyone come up with a list of oils etc that could build up?
  • amy51373amy51373 Posts: 1,205Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The Burts Bee's Super Shiney Grapefruit would be a good one for using as a first co-wash. I usually shampoo daily but occasionally co-wash and that one seems to work really good for my first wash and then I use something more moisturizing for the second.
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
    helloitsio wrote: »
    baika wrote: »

The AOHR may be too much for you. Try searching for some reviews on the board from fine haired curlies who have tried it out. Also, I'm sure the NG herbal could be used a cowash but I've seen it used as a regular rinseout more often than not. With that it mind, using it as a cowash may weigh you down. You could try VO5, Suave, or White Rain for a cheaper, just as effective cowash.

I guess the problem is I can't overcome my resistance toward those cheaper, supposedly "as effective" products. And I'm afraid that they smell "artificial."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file