We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

First co-wash was last night.

CurlyKatieCurlyKatie Posts: 82Registered Users
Ok, so after reading up on this site all weekend, I was convinced that I had found the solution to most if not all of my previous hair problems. So last night, I decided to start, and did my first co wash. I followed the instructions to a T, even detangled in the shower with conditioner and a wide toothed comb, and then based on the advise of other people with similar hair as mine (3a, very fine) I put on a mix of a curl gel and leave in conditioner and attempted plopping for the first time. (Something that for some reason seemed very hard, but I think next time will be easier.) The next morning when I woke up, I couldn't believe it! My hair looked like I had just stepped out of a salon! Hair that I had just slept on, it was amazing, I am sooooo completely sold on this technique!

With all of this being said, I have a few quick questions for all of the people out there.

First of all, I bought the Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner this morning, because a lot of people said they really liked it. Before this I had been used to using Dove Moisturizing Conditioner, and it seems a good bit thicker. I read the ingredients and didn't see any cones, so I figured I'd ask, is it ok to co wash with the coconut, and then finish with the Dove? Or should I stick to just the coconut?

Secondly, I am using Garnier Fructis' Curl Gel, but I saw a lot of people raving over LA Looks Sport Gel, is that a good bit better for my hair? (I think based on price alone, as soon as I run out of the Garnier I'll be switching regardless.)

Thirdly, this was my first time detangling in the shower, and I seemed to lose about 30-35 hairs, is this fairly normal?

Ok guys, final question I promise! I saw a few people commenting on pineappling their hair, but I couldn't figure out for the life of me what that was. Is there anyone who could please explain it?

Thanks so much to everyone in advance! You have all been so helpful already in the things I've read. Thanks thanks thanks!!! - Katie :toothy7:
2c/3a Fine and Thin
CG Since 07/01/08
My hair loves: KCCC!
:love7: Nexxus Headress Weightless Leave In, HE TT, Loreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for Long Wavy/Curly hair.
My Hair Hates: MagSulf, Jessicurl, LOOB.

Comments

• ScrappyTamScrappyTam Posts: 470Registered Users
    I'm new to the co wash thing myself, so I can't answer a lot of your questions. but I can answer one...

It is normal for curlies to lose hair while washing/detangling. Everyone loses hair every day. Straighties have hair that just fall out onto the ground. Curlies have hair that shed, but get caught in the curl, so they tend to stay on our heads instead of falling to the ground. Hence, the number of hairs you see when combing, etc.

HTH.
    I almost threw my ovaries at him. - Trenell

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Is that Dove this?

If so, it has two cones. Dimethiconol, which is water soluble, and then cyclopentasiloxane which a lot of people find to be one of the gnarliest cones.
    Ok guys, final question I promise! I saw a few people commenting on pineappling their hair, but I couldn't figure out for the life of me what that was. Is there anyone who could please explain it?

It is just to pile all the curls up in a loose ponytail on the very top of your head for sleep. The concept being that you don't sleep on the top of your head, so things are supposed to get the least smashed and rubbed on that way.
    It is normal for curlies to lose hair while washing/detangling. Everyone loses hair every day. Straighties have hair that just fall out onto the ground. Curlies have hair that shed, but get caught in the curl, so they tend to stay on our heads instead of falling to the ground. Hence, the number of hairs you see when combing, etc.

I agree with this comment. If you were flatironing before, maybe your shed hairs were all on the sidewalk. When it's curly they tend to stay suspended there until removed.
  • CurlyKatieCurlyKatie Posts: 82Registered Users
    Thanks a ton guys! I didn't realize those were cones! :( I was just looking for "One" at the end of the ingredients. Is there a list somewhere of ingredients to avoid? I will trash the Dove as soon as I finish posting this. Thanks again for the help! :wink:
    2c/3a Fine and Thin
    CG Since 07/01/08
    My hair loves: KCCC!
    :love7: Nexxus Headress Weightless Leave In, HE TT, Loreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for Long Wavy/Curly hair.
    My Hair Hates: MagSulf, Jessicurl, LOOB.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Wait, I think I lied, dimethiconol isn't water soluble. I mixed it up with dimethicone copolyol. :oops:

I don't know about a comprehensive list. Perhaps someone else has made/knows of one.
  • CurlyJoshuaCurlyJoshua Posts: 49Registered Users
    Heyyy no fair you stole my name :[ except for the katie part lolz
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you want to go shampooless, then your conditioner and styling products can't have any 'cones, 'xanes, or 'conols. These will build up and need a sulfate shampoo to remove. Here's a helpful site: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhealthycurls.awardspace.com%2Ffree.html" class="Popup The LA Looks Sport gel is CG. It has a hard hold and dries crunchy. You will have to scrunch the crunch out. If you leave some conditioner in your hair, it won't dry so hard. Other drugstore gels are Herbal Essence Body Envy and Set Me Up. The shampoos and conditioners have cones, though.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • curlyorwavycurlyorwavy Posts: 132Registered Users
    Just a quick one: when starting CG you'll need to do a clarifying shampoo to remove all the cones which are currently in your hair. I didn't do this the first time I tried CG and the result was a disaster! I'm not far into CG yet, but I had Pantene Clarifying Shampoo recommended to me (and it's cheap!) to start off.

Good luck!
    UK curly, 2B/3A
    Original Source Tea Tree & Mint, VO5 Firm Styling Gel

"I keep being bowled over by how lovely you look. And I love your hair. You have lovely hair. I can't put into words how beautiful your hair is! It's so... gorgeous. Seriously, I love your hair."
    My fiance, when I was feeling all insecure. He's my curls' biggest fan!

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FcurlyorwavyCG%2F" class="Popup
    pw massey

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file