We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

how often do you co-wash?

lehcarbylehcarby Posts: 13Registered Users
I'm sure that this has been discussed somewhere on this board but perhaps I've missed it? I have 3a/b hair and only recently happened upon CG, but I'm wondering how often I should co-wash for the routine to be successful; every day, every other day, once a week...?
cg since 7/17/08 :wink:

3a/b
currently still somewhat in transition...

in love with:
vo5 vanilla mint tea
suave naturals lavender
la bella lots of curls
FOTE
shea butter
herbal essences set me up

Comments

• FeedYourHeadFeedYourHead Posts: 236Registered Users
    I've been successfully CG for 2 1/2 months now, and I find my hair looks best if I co-wash twice a week.

It depends on your hair. Some people may want to co-wash more often, others less.

My hair is VERY dry and soaks up as much conditioner as I feed it.
    Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3A/3B/2C in the back, Botticelli, fine, thick, high porosity, CG since 2008

Likes: Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Co-Wash Conditioning Cleanser; Curls Coconut Curlada conditioner; L - Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea or Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing, O - coconut oil, C - Curls Creme Brule cream; FOTE AVG; honey; banana hair masks
    Dislikes: Silicones (:thumbdown:), Hairbrushes (:eek:) and harsh detergents (:protest:)
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cowashing is using conditioner to scrub/massage your scalp, as well as to detangle. Then there is water washing before using conditioner on the length to moisturize and detangle. When cowashing you need to rinse well. With water washing you can either rinse the conditioner all out or partially out. It depends on what works best for you. Some people cowash every time they get their hair wet, especially when first starting CG. But many only cowash once a week or so. Using conditioner on the length is always necessary. Using friction on your scalp is important, too, whether you use water or conditioner. But too frequent cowashing can lead to irritation on your scalp - itchiness and flaking. And if you use shampoo, then cowashing isn't necessary. Just condition the length whenever you get your hair wet.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    When I first started, I had to cowash about every other day. It was really greasy and waiting longer in-between didn't help.

Now it's about every two or three days. On the days I don't, I'll waterwash my scalp and condition the length. So far so good! It takes a while to figure out when to do it, and everyone's different.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    After a year, I'm down to CO washing once every 7-10 days. I used to CO wash twice a week though.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • mitabirdmitabird Posts: 226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I do a full CO wash (scalp and hair) once a week. Every other wash, I just CO my scalp. So that's maybe 2-3 times a week.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • PwniePwnie Posts: 29Registered Users
    Could someone maybe give me a little help over here, too?

I've been on CG for about 18 months now, but I guess I never quite knew what co-washing really meant. When I first started, I just stopped using shampoo. When I showered (every one or two days) I would wet my hair, condition, rinse.

Since then I have grown into using an ACV rinse once or twice a week as needed, but I continue to use conditioner with every shower. Now that I've come home from college and my schedule is messed up, so is my hair! It's no longer silky, smooth or tangle-free. It feels a bit coarse, and the itching and flaking have returned. Could someone clear up what exactly co-washing is, by definition, and what I'm doing?
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Pwnie wrote: »
    Could someone maybe give me a little help over here, too?

I've been on CG for about 18 months now, but I guess I never quite knew what co-washing really meant. When I first started, I just stopped using shampoo. When I showered (every one or two days) I would wet my hair, condition, rinse.

Since then I have grown into using an ACV rinse once or twice a week as needed, but I continue to use conditioner with every shower. Now that I've come home from college and my schedule is messed up, so is my hair! It's no longer silky, smooth or tangle-free. It feels a bit coarse, and the itching and flaking have returned. Could someone clear up what exactly co-washing is, by definition, and what I'm doing?

Right from the going shampooless sticky: "After wetting your hair thoroughly, pour a dime sized amount in your hand and using the pads of your fingertips apply to one spot of your scalp and massage well, just as you would with shampoo. Repeat until you've scrubbed all over, then rinse ALL the CO off with plenty of warm water, still gently massaging with your fingertips so the friction will dissolve any residue. Next, pour more CO in your hand (sometimes another richer CO is necessary for this step), rub your palms together and apply over the length as you normally did in the past. Try to detangle with your fingers or with a very wide-tooth comb. For extra moisturizing clip your hair up and continue with your shower, then when you're done set the water as cool as is comfortable to you and rinse your head for just a second or two, gently squeeze the excess water off.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file