Help Please...I hate my Color :(

SSSSSSSS Posts: 67Registered Users
Hello~

Against my stylists wishes :argue: I had her color over my 6 month old highlights. I didn't mind if my highlights were covered, but my hair (because of the highlights) was so pourous that the color really "grabbed" and is much darker than I ever wanted :sad8: I'm very unhappy with how dark this color is.

Now, after telling her I wish I had taken her advice, she is offering to highlight again here and there 1/2 head or "top only" and says that it will lighten up the look of everything. I keep envisioning my hair with this dark brown color/redish hue with blonde streaks! ICK!

Does anyone here have any experience with this dilemma? I wish I were someone that didn't care so much about my hair, life would be so much easier!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3a-m-iii
Current co wash:Suave aloe and waterlily, VO5 passion fruit smoothie
Current poo 2x month:Cristophe purely natural clarifying shampoo (no sulfates, parabens, fragrance, or dye)
Current leave-in:Giovanni Direct
Current Stylers:KCCC, Curl Keeper, AnGell
Hair Dislikes:JC RR
*flour sack towel to scrunch, curlease towel to plop
Modified CG April 2008

Comments

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    What kind of dye is it? It might just wash out in a while.

I can't imagine bleach/peroxide would be good, since it had already been bleached/peroxided to that level of porosity before.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair was too dark/multi-hued for a while, and the "golden" highlights a stylist put in to help blend and or "brighten" the two were not a success. They stood out so much it looked like there was toothpaste in my hair.

This happened despite my saying that I don't like obvious or extreme streaks or highlights. Now I go to someone else in the same salon (for cuts only), and the "highlights" stylist doesn't acknowledge me. :error:

What ultimately worked for me was an over-all lightening, back to my natural color (or something close).

HTH
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You might want to try washing it with a harsh sulfate shampoo or *gasp* Dawn dishwashing liquid to strip some of the color. If your hair is that porous, it might be successful. Just be sure and follow up with an extremely moisturizing conditioner afterward. Dawn will certainly dry your hair out badly.

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    I think if I was going the Dawn route, I would follow it up with the longest and heaviest oil DT ever. Really long and heavy oiling might pull some color out too, and it should help to recover from the Dawn.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    And if the detergent fails, you could always use ColorFix. But I would do the method where you mix with shampoo, and don't use the 2nd step. Follow this with a DT as well.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I had my whole head highlighted practically. Now, my stupid idea, I had my stylist do it darker with some highlights. My hair looked dark, which I kinda liked, but....major dryness, thus frizz....and the more I shampooed to put a different conditioner or styling product in to combat the frizz/dryness, the lighter it is getting. So take heart. It will lighten up alot! :wink:
  • InfraredheadInfraredhead Posts: 335Registered Users
    Second the Colorfix. I used it this summer to lighten up a years worth of semi-permanent color jobs. Worked beautifully. Good information on folica.com about it. You can purchase it at Sally Beauty Supply.
    Mod CG since April of 2007.
  • SSSSSSSS Posts: 67Registered Users
    Thank you all! I went with colorfix and it really worked :)
    Now, in 4-5 weeks when she touches up the roots, we'll need to go lighter. If my hair wasn't so thick I would color it myself, but I never feel like I can do an even application and it's so messy..

Thanks again all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3a-m-iii
    Current co wash:Suave aloe and waterlily, VO5 passion fruit smoothie
    Current poo 2x month:Cristophe purely natural clarifying shampoo (no sulfates, parabens, fragrance, or dye)
    Current leave-in:Giovanni Direct
    Current Stylers:KCCC, Curl Keeper, AnGell
    Hair Dislikes:JC RR
    *flour sack towel to scrunch, curlease towel to plop
    Modified CG April 2008
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm glad the ColorFix worked. Your stylist should go a few shades lighter next time, so it won't grab and get too dark again.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • ponygirlcurtisponygirlcurtis Posts: 29Registered Users
    What about trying Baking Soda??? I heard that works. My Aunt did that after she died her hair navy blue. And it took the color out...
    Lovin My Curls!
    Currently Using,:occasion9: Suave Coconut Conditioner, and Aussie Mousse+leave-in-conditioner. Working Well!
    Got Scrunch?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file