We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis?

KonekoKoneko Posts: 22Registered Users
Hi,

I've been slowly making my way through this site. I've had suggestions to try the CG method, but I have one concern: I have notorious skin issues including dermatitis (of both kinds)/eczema that definitely irritates my poor scalp. I would like to try this method, but I'm concerned about what will happen with my scalp.

Right now I typically switch between H&S and the Avalon Garden's Tea Tree Oil (sometimes this zinc T-Gel my derm gave me for when it really acts up).

Does anyone else have these scalp issues?

Comments

• curry curlscurry curls Posts: 1,058Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, I have scalp problems myself. I just started CG. I'm taking vitamins including evening primrose oil...hoping that will help my skin and scalp. I hear it is supposed to be good for eczema. I think I'll try some tea tree oil or neem oil if/when my scalp starts freaking out. I'm tired of using these prescription things with all these chemicals. I'm probably not much help, but I'm in the same boat. :nemo:
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Rinse out: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition, Deva Supercream, and Deva B'leave-in
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

• bethmeglobethmeglo Posts: 49Registered Users
    I'm not trying to discourage you, but I just started a thread a few days ago about the problems I've been having with dandruff since going CG. It turns out sebum buildup can cause dandruff (see the mayo clinic link below). My dandruff got severe enough that I had to wash with shampoo--twice--to get rid of it! For now, I'm going to try to go back to CG, but I've got a big bottle of tea tree oil from the health food store that I'm going to apply to my scalp every night.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mayoclinic.com%2Fhealth%2Fdandruff%2FDS00456%2FDSECTION%3Drisk-factors" class="Popup
    2C BSL hair and lots of it!
    Cheap and low-maintenance are my two favorite words!
  • KonekoKoneko Posts: 22Registered Users
    Wow! That's a little worrisome, but I was thinking of taking the same avenue as both of you with tea tree oil or something similar - it's what I've been using for the okay'd shampoo (Avalon Organics). I'll also try to remember to ask my homeopath if she has any suggestions. If she does (and they're any different) I'll make sure to post it :)
  • Sammy22Sammy22 Posts: 124Registered Users
    the apple cider vinager rinse helped w/ mine.

Sam
  • CurlyOver40!CurlyOver40! Posts: 758Registered Users
    I have seborrheic dermatitis w/o the dandruff. It's confined to one small area on my scalp.
    I'm also allergic to permanent Hair Coloring (that's real fun!)
    I am CG.
    I do a ACV rinse every few weeks.. I haven't noticed this helping...

BUT

I found this website and it says that we should put the ACV (no diluting) directly on the effected area.

AVC

Here's the one entry that I found interesting:

[YEA] 11/21/2007: Julie from Seattle, WA writes: "I've had moderately severe seborrheic dermitis of my face, scalp since puberty, and in the 15 years since then, I have seen 4 dermatologists and tried every OTC dandruff/sd shampoo and every prescription cream, corticosteroids, etc. My facial skin was always red, inflamed or recovering from a flare up, or about to have another one. I really believed that I would always have to deal with this. On your site, I read about treating my skin with a cottonball of ACV. I tried it, it stung the skin until it dried. But immediately there seemed to be a benefit. After 3 days, my skin looked noticeably better and was soft and the inflammation went away. My skin completely quit flaking. I do treat it with a cottonball of ACV at least once a day it has successfully treated my problem since the first day I used it, 6/11/07, about 5 months straight! I've NEVER had anything work like this. It is almost unbelievable. My theory is the ACV kills the microscopic fungus that likes my chemistry on my skin. If I skip ACV for several days, I notice my skin slowly starts to get red and flaky again. ACV stings the most over the "flared up" areas, barely at all on healthy skin. I can't say enough about how thrilled I am about ACV for SD."

Because my dermatitis is so small, I'm going to try blotting my infected area w/ a cotton ball in the morning and before I go to bed, and see if I notice a difference. Hopefully, it won't smell too much!

3a/3b

Latest routine:
    Sauve Coconut CO
    Or
    Trader Joe's Nourish
    Giovanni 50/50
    Giovanni Direct Leave In
    JoicoWhip
    Newest Fav: Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • bethmeglobethmeglo Posts: 49Registered Users
    Everyone must be really different, because an ACV rinse did nothing for me! Maybe my dandruff is just really stubborn lol.
    2C BSL hair and lots of it!
    Cheap and low-maintenance are my two favorite words!
  • BecciBecci Posts: 401Registered Users
    Pure coconut oil conditioner everyone! See this link: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coconut-connections.com%2Fskin_care.htm" class="Popup

Ive been using it every day as my hair is so damaged and I have bad eczema. I also have extreamly sensitive skin. Although I dont really like the smell of coconut everybody else seems to and for 500ml for £1.49 its a bargin to.

So give it a whirl. :toothy7:
    From U.K & started CG 13th July 08 :thumbleft:

Using VO5 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie for co-washing and conditioning.

Using Boots curl creme

Considering going Mod-CG and using H&S once a week to prevent build up, flakes and other nastys.:confused3:
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 580Registered Users
    I have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp, and have been trying all sorts of things over the past year. I went at least 4 months with no shampoo, and it didn't help the problem, but I also don't think it made it any worse (which might interest you). Here is the run down of some other things I've tried:

Tea tree oil - didn't help at all
    ACV or white vinegar - possibly makes it worse (which is odd, as so many sufferers recommend it)
    Rosemary oil - helps a little

But, the thing that helps me most is a little odd. It is.... pure vitamin c (as ascorbic acid) powder!! I dilute it in some water, and slosh it on my scalp after washing. Only thing you need to be aware of is that it can slightly alter your hair colour. My hair is naturally dark blonde, and it has given it a bit of a golden/gingery colour (took several months to build up though), which is actually quite nice. I doubt it would change darker hair colours.
    Sarah.

Based in the UK. 2-something (2b?) hair. Very porous, fine and brittle/fragile

Hair loves: Drip drying, glycerine, shea butter, oils
    Hair hates: Plopping, any kind of gel, most conditioners (scalp issues).
  • PetalPetal Posts: 219Registered Users
    I have Seborreic Dermatitis too, and the derm told me to stop doing co-washes, so I don't do them often (I just use a no sulfate shampoo -mixed with a bit of tea tree oil sometimes- every week and rinse and massage my scalp if I need to wet my hair during the week) and when I'm really, really itchy I just use a tea tree oil and sugar scrub. Makes a big difference.

Good luck! I'm on modified CG (haven't finished all the products with cones yet), but I can already see a difference in curl formation and fewer splits.

Hang in there.
    3A-3B mix, medium-thick, prone to splitting. Products: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Jojoba oil, Free me freesia conditioner to detangle. Trying to experiment with protein DTs a few times a month.
  • KonekoKoneko Posts: 22Registered Users
    Thanks so much for all the advice, everyone!

I have ACV rinses as well as straight application, coconut oil and pure vitamin c powder to try out!

CurlyOver40: did that experiment help you at all?

NearlyEruditeLatina: What is a sugar scrub? I'm really wondering if I may have to do something more like that than co-wash because my scalp is truly intolerable :\
  • CurlyOver40!CurlyOver40! Posts: 758Registered Users
    Koneko wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all the advice, everyone!

I have ACV rinses as well as straight application, coconut oil and pure vitamin c powder to try out!

CurlyOver40: did that experiment help you at all?

NearlyEruditeLatina: What is a sugar scrub? I'm really wondering if I may have to do something more like that than co-wash because my scalp is truly intolerable :\

No. I haven't noticed a difference. :cry:
    As I said, I only have it in a very small area on the crown of my head. The only thing that seems to work for me is applying a very small amount of T-Gel shampoo in that area and let it sit for a couple of minutes. I did this yesterday and noticed a big difference right away. I don't like using this stuff because of obvious reasons, but it does work.

3a/3b

Latest routine:
    Sauve Coconut CO
    Or
    Trader Joe's Nourish
    Giovanni 50/50
    Giovanni Direct Leave In
    JoicoWhip
    Newest Fav: Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list