question for those who have had their hair thermally straightened

goldie30goldie30 Posts: 2Registered Users
If you have your hair thermally straightened do you still have the option to hot roller it and have it hold a loose curl? If you flip the ends up or under will it hold or are you stuck with only stick straight hair? I want straight/smooth hair but with body.

Comments

• naturallyfrizzynaturallyfrizzy Posts: 23Registered Users
    I get my hair chemically relaxed and I do the Coppola Keratin Treatment and my hair has GREAT body! It depends how you dry it...I use a big round brush and dry it in sections...I never flat iron...I think it depends on which treatment you get how straight your hair is...I wouldn't want mine any straighter
  • MissingMyCurlsMissingMyCurls Posts: 19Registered Users
    I'm currently growing out a Thermal Reconditioning and no, you can't curl it at all-even to turn the ends under. It is pin straight and very flat.

I really, really wouldn't recommend doing this to your hair. Growing it out is terrible. The top of my hair frizzes and curls, the bottom is stick straight and won't curl at all. I don't have enough hair yet to cut it off and start from scratch so I have to go through the summer looking ridiculous.

I really, really wouldn't recommend it.
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    I'm currently growing out a Thermal Reconditioning and no, you can't curl it at all-even to turn the ends under. It is pin straight and very flat.

I really, really wouldn't recommend doing this to your hair. Growing it out is terrible. The top of my hair frizzes and curls, the bottom is stick straight and won't curl at all. I don't have enough hair yet to cut it off and start from scratch so I have to go through the summer looking ridiculous.

I really, really wouldn't recommend it.

I have a different view but am still doing TR and not trying to grow it out. Still, I can go 5-6 months and like the way it looks until I need it done again.

If I airdry, I have more body and I also have a bit of wave at the end. Near month 4, my stylist showed me how to scrunch in a light curl product and then make big curls with a flat iron or curling iron (I've seen youtubes on this too). So there is some flexibility with TR, at least as it grows out.

I think a lot of it has to do with your natural hair type and thickness. My 3b/c medium thick does well with TR and there is none of that drowned-rat looking effect that I think more fine hair or looser curl type people may have. But everyone is different.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • Beth BBeth B Posts: 1Registered Users
    It depends on the processing, IME. I've had TR done 5 times and when it was slightly underprocessed it held a flip/bend on the ends. This last time my hair was slightly overprocessed (grr...) and it won't hold a wave at all.
    ~Beth~ 3A, several inches below shoulder length, last TR March '08.
  • rockthecurlzrockthecurlz Posts: 910Registered Users
    I am currently transitioning back to my curly 3b hair after 5 years of chemical straightening. I would not suggest doing it! My hair would never hold any type of curl/body. Just stick straight. Now my roots are curly and the ends won't do anything. I have also had trouble growing my hair since straighting because of so much breakage. I would think twice about doing it. Good luck in whatever you decide.
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    Rockthecurlz, I definitely agree! I had TR and before that regular chemical straightening, and my hair still managed to stay healthy (nothing beyond normal dryness). But long-term, it could result in serious thinning of your hair, which is why I stopped. The minute my hair grew out long enough to see curls (only four months after my TR), I missed my curls and regretted the stupid TR, which will now take over a year to undo.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file