I need help!!!!

_Analyze__Analyze_ Registered Users Posts: 61
ok, so i looked up hair textures on yahoo, and i found a textutre very similar to mines:

myhairtype2.jpg

but my hair is short, so here is a picture showing this:

myhairtype.jpg

i want to know if this is 4a type hair so that i can start treating my hair right...it's currently straightened right now and its stressful because people aroung me keep telling me to "get a perm", even when i straighten it!

my hair texture is very similar to the pictures above and i really need you guy's advice in what products i should use to keep my curls healthy.

** a note: i wash my hair every two days with L'oreal Nature's therapy: perfect curls shampoo & conditioner, then i rub cocnut grease through my hair to get that shine, and brush them back to keep my curls fine looking throughout the day.
thick, curly & coily
na-tu-ral since nov. 04'

Comments

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur
    Gloria Reuben is a 3C(with some 4a sprinkled in). My hair is actually very similar to hers.

I would cut down on washing your hair every 2 days, unless you workout alot and use products that buildup. Maybe alternate with conditioner rinsing in-between washings.

Do you use coconut cream(solid coconut oil) or do you mean coconut scented hair grease? If it's grease, maybe you should try using actual coconut oil, or avocado oil. I wouldn't be concerned so much with shine, as opposed to health. Both of these oils act as emollients and give the hair a nice sheen.

HTH
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • _Analyze__Analyze_ Registered Users Posts: 61
    Gloria Reuben is a 3C(with some 4a sprinkled in). My hair is actually very similar to hers.

I would cut down on washing your hair every 2 days, unless you workout alot and use products that buildup. Maybe alternate with conditioner rinsing in-between washings.

Do you use coconut cream(solid coconut oil) or do you mean coconut scented hair grease? If it's grease, maybe you should try using actual coconut oil, or avocado oil. I wouldn't be concerned so much with shine, as opposed to health. Both of these oils act as emollients and give the hair a nice sheen.

HTH

i use proclaim coconut oil hair & scalp conditioner..so i guess the oil :)

and i dont workout so i'd better stop washing my hair every two days lol...
    thick, curly & coily
    na-tu-ral since nov. 04'

• DocDoc Registered Users Posts: 367
    You mention that your hair is currently straightened and that you wash your hair every two days. Are you straightening your hair that often as well? If so, you definitely need to cut down on applying heat to your hair that often!!
    If you're wanting to find out your hair texture to wear your hair naturally, then i would recommend looking through the 3c and 4a boards. The most important thing to know for keeping your natural curls healthy is moisture, so you need a good moisturing leave in conditioner(again, there's plenty of info on the boards) Alot of curlies also make home made spritzes to use throughout the day to keep hair moisturized.
    You also need to cut down on how often you use shampoo, if you wet your hair every 2 days then condition wash as opposed to shampoo.
    the basics for making the most of your natural curls:
    1 moisturize( leave ins, shea buttter, coconut oil etc...)
    2 conditiion (condition washes, deep conditioners etc...)
    3 trim ends when needed
    4 styling products to help with hold( ie gels etc...)
    Looking through various topics on the boards will help
    5 keep heat to an absolute minimum!!!
    I hope this helps and good luck :)
    Dense kinky-curly; healthy and growing strong!
  • _Analyze__Analyze_ Registered Users Posts: 61
    Doc wrote:
    You mention that your hair is currently straightened and that you wash your hair every two days. Are you straightening your hair that often as well? If so, you definitely need to cut down on applying heat to your hair that often!!
    If you're wanting to find out your hair texture to wear your hair naturally, then i would recommend looking through the 3c and 4a boards. The most important thing to know for keeping your natural curls healthy is moisture, so you need a good moisturing leave in conditioner(again, there's plenty of info on the boards) Alot of curlies also make home made spritzes to use throughout the day to keep hair moisturized.
    You also need to cut down on how often you use shampoo, if you wet your hair every 2 days then condition wash as opposed to shampoo.
    the basics for making the most of your natural curls:
    1 moisturize( leave ins, shea buttter, coconut oil etc...)
    2 conditiion (condition washes, deep conditioners etc...)
    3 trim ends when needed
    4 styling products to help with hold( ie gels etc...)
    Looking through various topics on the boards will help
    5 keep heat to an absolute minimum!!!
    I hope this helps and good luck :)

thanks so much for the advice...ill look through the boards more
    thick, curly & coily
    na-tu-ral since nov. 04'

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file