CurlTalk

etae carmel treatment

yaya77yaya77 Posts: 65Registered Users
Okay this is going to sound weird, but does anyone else find the smell of the carmel treatment disturbing? Anytime I smell it I want to gag....Anyone else?

Comments

• nickfishnickfish Posts: 63Registered Users
    I just ordered it online and I haven't gotten it yet. I tried making the mixed by scratch and it smelled awful and burned my scalp. Does the e'tae actually work though? Does it make your hair softer?
    Last relaxer April 1, 2014

BC - February 2015
  • mikosbellemikosbelle Posts: 363Registered Users
    Can someone post the ingredients for the Carmel treatment by Etae please. Also how do you use it? Is it a prepoo of some sort? I am currently using Ojon as a prepoo but am curious to learn about this product as well.

Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]4A hair type, looking for healthy hair suggestions and improved styling techniques

my hair pics:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmikosbelle%2F" class="Popup
    no pw needed

Currently experimeting with: MOP TOP :smurf:

My staple product lines are Qhemet, Afroveda, Kinky-Curly, Oyin, and Curl Junkie :D

Favorite combo: Afroveda pur whipped gelly + Kinky-Curly Curling Custard:angel8:
    mikosbelle wrote: »
    Can someone post the ingredients for the Carmel treatment by Etae please. Also how do you use it? Is it a prepoo of some sort? I am currently using Ojon as a prepoo but am curious to learn about this product as well.

Thanks!

You can find the recipie for the caramel treatment here:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nappydelphia.com%2Fsearch%2Flabel%2Ftreatments" class="Popup

It wouldn't be right if I didn't warn you though, you HAVE to put the ingredients in a blender. If you don't you will have chunks of banana in your hair that WILL NOT come out. I should know, it happened to me, lol! Heck, I don't even think I would make the homemade recipie again, but people who put it in a blender don't seem to complain about it so...

BC - February 2015
  • dancerxotdancerxot Posts: 140Registered Users
    I agree!! I absolutely HATE bananas, so the whole time I did want to gag at the smell. It makes your hair SUPER soft though...BE CAREFUL the banana is hard to get out for me because i made an at home version and didn't have a food processor.

I didn't realize it was still in there until I was already blow-drying my hair...:angry4:

hair type: 3c/4a, naturally super soft, and really prone to frizz.
    :blob7:

:love7:i heart naturally curly hair!
  • CurlyLeslieCurlyLeslie Posts: 10Registered Users
    I might try to mix up a batch of this weekend, but I have a few questions. Do you put it in your hair wet or dry? How long should I leave it in?
  • yaya77yaya77 Posts: 65Registered Users
    I might try to mix up a batch of this weekend, but I have a few questions. Do you put it in your hair wet or dry? How long should I leave it in?

It says on the bottle that the treatment should be applied before washing hair....so I'm guessing on dry hair
  • divinewisdomdivinewisdom Posts: 5Registered Users
    This sounds great, I am going to try this. Thanks for the tip.
    Last Perm: April 2005
    Big Cut: June 2005
    Hair type: 4a? I think
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    What does the Etae Carmel treatment smell like?
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    nickfish wrote: »
    You can find the recipie for the caramel treatment here:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nappydelphia.com%2Fsearch%2Flabel%2Ftreatments" class="Popup

It wouldn't be right if I didn't warn you though, you HAVE to put the ingredients in a blender. If you don't you will have chunks of banana in your hair that WILL NOT come out.
    dancerxot wrote: »
    ...BE CAREFUL the banana is hard to get out for me because i made an at home version and didn't have a food processor.

I didn't realize it was still in there until I was already blow-drying my hair...:angry4:

Would a jar of baby food bananas work better?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • Ms KittyMs Kitty Posts: 556Registered Users
    Yes it would when I made the homemade version of the caramel treatment that's what I used.HTH
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    Coconut,Jojoba and JBC oils
    Rosemary Oil/w horsetail,coltsfoot and Nettle leaves.
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmj11051" class="Popup

This is going to sound quite graffic but it smells as if somebody barfed up bananas and some other sweet stuff...:(
  • hunnyhunhunnyhun Posts: 2Registered Users
    You can find the ingredients for the Carmel treatment at www.etaeproducts.com. I absolutely love this product. Yes it does make your hair very soft!!! The smell is a little weird but I am able to get over it because of how soft my hair feels afterward. It is applied to dry hair and then should be washed out using a sulfate free shampoo. (Creme of Nature is good)
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    yaya77 wrote: »

This is going to sound quite graphic but it smells as if somebody barfed up bananas and some other sweet stuff...:(

The homemade version or the store bought version? Or both?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Windflower wrote: »
    yaya77 wrote: »

This is going to sound quite graphic but it smells as if somebody barfed up bananas and some other sweet stuff...:(

The homemade version or the store bought version? Or both?
    Both of them....
  • natashamcknatashamck Posts: 434Registered Users
    I strongly dislike Bananas... to the point where I would make my old cubicle-mate (who is now my supervisor lol) throw his banana peels away in the break room instead of in the cubicle.

That being said - I didn't really mind the smell of the treatment. I smelled more of the molasses than I did the bananas. It didn't smell good by any stretch of the imagination, but it wasn't horrible.

There wasn't a noticeable difference to me after applying the carmel treatment. My hair looked the same as it had before. Not really shinier, not really softer. The treatment may be one of those cumulative things like henna so it may help if you do it more than once. I only tried it one time and the sticky mess that it made wasn't worth it to me. (my hair can be considered 3c as far as curl size, but it can be pretty coarse and undefined in some sections).

It may work for you if you don't mind the smell...
    mostly coarse texture, normal porosity... I think?
    HG: Generic Matrix Biolage, KCCC, KCKT, CBSS WSHP
  • jcurladyjcurlady Posts: 626Registered Users
    So, I my pj got the best of me and I bought it. I haven't used it yet but I'm already impressed. Not only did she send the product but she sent some cotton to wrap around my head, a baggie, and some gloves. That's probably not a big deal for most but I have the hardest time finding baggies to fit my head. :afro:
    if luvin KCKT and KCCC is wrong I don't wanna b right

sell crazy somewhere else...we're all stocked up here.
    I finally got my order of E'TAE caramel treatment. First, it doesn't smell nearly as bad as the home made version (not to me at least) and isn't nearly as drippy. As for results, well, my hair was shiny :wink:, but since I bought it to soften my new growth (transitioning since March of this year) I was not really impressed. Also, the bottle isn't all that big and I used up 3/4 of it for one treatment (my hair is only shoulder length). So, would I use it again? Only if I made it myself. I would I make it myself? Why bother!:sad8: lol

BC - February 2015
  • swytchocolateswytchocolate Posts: 4Registered Users
    you gotta think the carmel probably has a weird smell because its 100% natural. but i definately wouldnt recommend trying to duplicate the etae way. even if you got the ingredients how would you know what the measurements are. i would be scared that too much of one ingredient would do something bad to my hair. :dontknow:
  • TLMMMTLMMM Posts: 457Registered Users
    the smell didn't bother me. I got three treatments out of the bottle I had. I didn't notice my hair being particularly softer after the treatments, but to this day I can't seem to hold a curl when I straighten.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    I really discourage everyone who is attempting to duplicate the Etae formula then posting how unhappy they are with the results. The formula is patened for that exact reason! :angry5:
    Kisha is a respectable businesswoman who toils over her brand to give us the best possible product. Please stop looking for ways to rip her off. She puts so much love into her line. If it isn't working for you, read the instructions. If it still doesn't work, reach out to her. If it still doesn't work, maybe it just isn't for you. And that's okay! :tongue3:
    1) You won't get the exact measurements or concentrations from simply reading the ingredients.
    2) etaeproducts.com will answer any questions regarding use of her formula. She can also be reached via facebook.com/etaenaturalproducts.
    3) If used correctly, regardless of length, you should get anywhere from 3-5 uses out of a single bottle, priced at roughly $20. How is that worth attempting a homemade version (and failing)?
    4) It is applied to DAMP hair prior to washing,
    5) It was reformulated in recent years to complement her Carmelux product line, which also has its own sulfate-free shampoo and conditioners.

Dear Kisha,
    Hmmm. Why do I get the feeling you are the owner or are affiliated with the owner.. Who else would get their panties in a wad in 2015 over a thread no one has posted on since 2008? Who else is going to do a google search and join Curl Talk just to make this their very first post about this instead of asking questions aboit hair care. We didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I guess you didn't know we have rules here about companies posting in this forum. Not to mention it irks a lot of people on here. . I have done many caramel treatments and I've never heard of this brand. So I don't get why there would be some exclusive right this company would have to the treatments. Now I will never order it. I do my own version of using banana babyfood with either honey or molasses with other ingredients in my hair every single week and have for 5 plus years. Works great. If someone wants to DIY it's nunya none of your business if they're not selling it. No they shouldn't give you a bad review for it if it goes badly. But Just because someone makes their own doesn't mean they are ripping you off. I like to make my own deep conditioners because my hair doesn't like certain ingredients for example coconut oil. I can control what's in it versus being stuck with ingredients a manufacturer chooses. Maybe their hair doesn't like something in your patented formula.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • CurtainCallCurtainCall Posts: 1Registered Users
    This thread is kind of old but they still haven't done anything about the god awful smell. I wonder if it is rancid? The product burned my scalp and I didn't want my daugter to use it so I threw the stuff out. Kind of angry!