CurlTalk

Do Gymboree clothes run big?

medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
Lilly got a bunch of Gymboree outfits (12 mos) for her birthday and they look huge. These clothes make me feel like my daughter is malnourished.

Please tell me they run big. :(

Comments

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    We don't have anything from Gymboree, so I can't comment on their sizing, but hugs to you. As another mom of a slim/small baby, I can relate to how you feel. But you know she's healthy and happy and not malnourished.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    Most of my Lilly's clothes are from there and she can't wear any of them yet. I have had to go out and buy her Carter brand clothing until she grows into her other stuff. The 0-3 months clothes absolutely swallow her up.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    They seem longer than some of the other designers to me. This works perfectly because I have a very long skinny child.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    From what i can tell, they run about 1 size bigger. The clothes we have the best luck with are from old navy and Gap, they seem to run pretty true to size for little ones
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    My kids are small, so it seems like everything is too big.

Sophia is 9 months old and fits perfectly in Gymboree 3-6 months. I know she's tiny but I feel like she'll never fit in their 6-12 months.

I find Gap and Gymboree to be bigger than Carters or Old Navy.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    They must run big. Zora got a size 2T dress from Gymboree as a gift. She hasn't worn that size in over a year - she's in 4T in every other brand - and it does fit her, though just. Since the store here didn't have another one in the right size, and it matches one for her sister, I decided to just keep it and make sure not to dry it so it won't shrink.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    Yeah, they're kinda biggish. Then again, I feel ya on the little baby...is always a size behind the average for her age. She will be 2 in a couple weeks and still had 18 mo. stuff that falls off her skinny butt. The other problem is that she's average height for her age, so then all her stuff is too short. Thank goodness it's summer...then I can just claim all her pants are crops or capris! :D
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • sundaysunday Posts: 535Registered Users
    I guess I must be the only one who thinks they run small. When my son was born he was so little (in preemie clothes) and I always bought him Gymboree clothes because they were smaller. I think Carter's and Old Navy brands are pretty true to size.
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
    sunday wrote: »
    I guess I must be the only one who thinks they run small. When my son was born he was so little (in preemie clothes) and I always bought him Gymboree clothes because they were smaller. I think Carter's and Old Navy brands are pretty true to size.

I had a 3-6 month sleeper from Gymboree for Solomon that was really snug on him. Not tight, but not as roomy as his other sleepers. A couple of moms I know IRL told me it was probably for fire safety standards. Maybe their sleepers/PJ's are more form-fitting than outfits?
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I made a mistake. The 12 mos jumpers are from Carter's. The crotch hangs really low and the arm holes are huge.

Gymboree, OTOH, is fitting pretty well (6-12 mos). I took a picture today. I will post it later.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    They run big to me. Kennedy is wearing 5 and 6x in other brands (and she's not yet 3) but can still wear gymboree 4T.

Carters seem to run small for my big girls. They are both tall and thick and we always go 1 to 2 sizes over. Cassidy is wearing their 12 months at 7 months of age.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs29.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc252%2Fwavezncurlz%2Fhair%2F" class="Popup
    password: curlzorwavez
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    I agree with PP - they tend to run big. DS is also a skinny-minny guy. Baby Gap/Gap kids also tend to run a little on the big side - although not quite as much as Gymboree.

I also find that Old Navy is truer to size.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    They run big. Well actually, they are true to size/age on Dylan, but in all the other brands, he wears a size or two higher.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users
    Chas is an average size child. Gymboree fits great. Granted with the gap of 6 months (18-24) they are big on him in the beginning but still fit him all the way through to 24 months. Gap however I find runs big. His pants are still bagging from gap.
    Carter's (notice the arms holes)

fw3dhv.jpg

The bottom snaps are almost around her knees!
    24wey36.jpg

Gymboree (maybe a little long?)

wjhrhk.jpg

2llgdjm.jpg
    Teehee! Cute! She looks like a tiny little thing, no wonder the clothes run big. ;)

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    medussa, my parents have that same rug in their living room. I knew it looked familiar!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • curlymelcurlymel Posts: 359Registered Users
    I think they are generous, but fit pretty true to size for Audrey based on their weight/height guidelines. Gap/Old Navy fits a little smaller, but I usually get the same size as her gymboree clothes. Clothes I have trouble with that I need to get a bigger size are circo (taget) and okie dokie (JC Penny).
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymel%2F" class="Popup Password: curls
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    medussa- majerle has that same carter's dress! she has alot of those. the majority of her dresses that are 12 mos all come down to that length on her! i just thought thats how they were supposed to fit. oops.
    most of the clothes i get for her are always too big with the except of circo brand from target. shes still a bit on the petite side so her carter's onesies that are 9 mos still fit her perfectly. shes in size 3 diapers and those come down to her knees still.
    It's confirmed. My daughter is a peanut. We just got back from her 1 year checkup and she's 18.5 lbs. Only in the 15th percentile. I should just let go of the dream that I'll ever have a big baby. :thumbdown:

Anyway, both Carter's and Gymboree 12 month sizes are for 20.5 pounds-23/24.5 pounds. Lilly has to grow a bit more into her outfits.
    Don't feel bad medussa! At Solomon's 9-month, he was only 17 lb and in the 3rd percentile. But what can I expect, with how small I am? You're petite too so Lilly is just dainty, like her mama :)
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    medussa wrote: »
    It's confirmed. My daughter is a peanut. We just got back from her 1 year checkup and she's 18.5 lbs. Only in the 15th percentile. I should just let go of the dream that I'll ever have a big baby. :thumbdown:

Anyway, both Carter's and Gymboree 12 month sizes are for 20.5 pounds-23/24.5 pounds. Lilly has to grow a bit more into her outfits.

Hey, she's bigger than Danae was at one year...she was only 16 lbs! She was in the 3rd percentile for the longest time. At her 18 mo. checkup, she moved into the 10th...progress! It astounds me b/c she eats like a horse.

See, I love the Circo brand at Target, and the Cherokee, too. Those are the only pants that stay on!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
    nynaeve77 wrote: »

Hey, she's bigger than Danae was at one year...she was only 16 lbs! She was in the 3rd percentile for the longest time. At her 18 mo. checkup, she moved into the 10th...progress! It astounds me b/c she eats like a horse.

See, I love the Circo brand at Target, and the Cherokee, too. Those are the only pants that stay on!

sigh...I always wanted petite babies... I'm a little jealous...My 7 month old is alread 19 pounds! And her sister was even bigger at that age. Both were off the charts. I wasn't big as a kid but my husband is a larger guy.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs29.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc252%2Fwavezncurlz%2Fhair%2F" class="Popup
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users

Yay for little peanuts! From 3 months onwards, Karan has never cracked the 25th percentile mark. But he's always been above 75th percentile for height, which means nothing ever matches his length/waist.

And Sandhya... well if she ever makes it onto a published growth chart I will be thrilled. On the plus side, like with Lilly, we are definitely getting our money's worth out of her clothes! Its been 7 months and she's still rocking her size 3 month outfits.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users

i have a peanut too, at majerle's 1 year checkup she was a little less than 19.5 lbs.
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »

i have a peanut too, at majerle's 1 year checkup she was a little less than 19.5 lbs.

I've got a couple of peanuts too. Sophia was 15 lbs 5oz at her 8 month visit, and Lucy was 23 lbs 5 oz at her 2 year visit.

Right now all of Sophia's clothes are either Carters 9 month or any brand that makes 6-9 months, and they are still a little big, but I didn't want to buy clothes she might grow out of. There is no way she could fit into 6-12 this summer.

I feel like all the clothes run big, but then I see other kids their ages and they seem so huge. I realized that's who the clothes are made for.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
    Jenny C wrote: »
    I feel like all the clothes run big, but then I see other kids their ages and they seem so huge. I realized that's who the clothes are made for.

Yes, they're made for the average kid. That's why I was taken aback when I saw the outfits. I just thought, "my daughter is supposed to be that big? Jeez, I hope I'm feeding her enough."

Yes, they're made for the average kid. That's why I was taken aback when I saw the outfits. I just thought, "my daughter is supposed to be that big? Jeez, I hope I'm feeding her enough."

She's supposed to be exactly the size she is. :) We have the opposite "problem." I joke that I must make half&half instead of milk, but I'm sure I really don't have that much to do with D's size.

Bailey422 wrote: »

She's supposed to be exactly the size she is. :) We have the opposite "problem." I joke that I must make half&half instead of milk, but I'm sure I really don't have that much to do with D's size.

Lilly also lost a lot of her baby chub, so at the party my mom was all over the fact that Lilly's arms were "so thin." No mom, she's no longer 25 inches long. They get taller and they thin out.

I was also nursing Lilly at the party (we were in the kitchen) and my mom looked over at me and said, "when are you going to stop that?" My mom has a serious bias against skinny babies. No wonder I was fluffy until I was 6 years old.
    Bailey422 wrote: »

Lilly also lost a lot of her baby chub, so at the party my mom was all over the fact that Lilly's arms were "so thin." No mom, she's no longer 25 inches long. They get taller and they thin out.

I was also nursing Lilly at the party (we were in the kitchen) and my mom looked over at me and said, "when are you going to stop that?" My mom has a serious bias against skinny babies. No wonder I was fluffy until I was 6 years old.

See, I heard the same thing but people swore my girls were big BECAUSE they were nursing. Someone even said I must take steriods b/c they were just huge babies and my milk "made" them that way. People are never satisfied....
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[