ONO with Prednisone?

k33rstynk33rstyn Registered Users Posts: 59
I have Lupus and take Plaquinel and Prednisone (a steroid) to help fight flares. The Prednisone makes my hair fall out some (which is the LEAST of the horrible things it's done, but I won't get into that...) but my hair is still very healthy. I get highlights and have had not breakage or trouble with that. I am currently on a VERY low dose of it (5 mg every 3 days) and I have been thinking about trying the One n' Only Curl Remover to loosen and de-frizz my curls. Does any have any argument against doing it while on Prednisone? I talked to my mom about it and that was her only question. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Comments

• AllerianAllerian Registered Users Posts: 72
    I don't know if you went ahead with the relaxer or not. But I don't see a problem with using it with the prednisone especially with a 5mg dose. It's actually less than what your own body makes of the steroid. So no worries there :-).
    2C/3Amiii
    My Hair Pics
    Currently Using:
    CV Bars: Chocolate Almond
    ACV Rinses every few days
    KCCC, KCKT, LOOB and TW
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Registered Users Posts: 2,098
    I have lupus also. I take a ton of medication but fortunately it hasn't affected my hair much.
    Prednisone- the drug we love to hate and hate to love. As you know, steroids can cause hair thinning but lupus
    causes hair loss also.
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Registered Users Posts: 3,823 Curl Neophyte
    I might be a little late to the party. I don't see a problem using the relaxer with the prednisone, especially with such a low dose.

I do not have lupus, but do have fibromyalgia and eczema and take prednisone for the eczema flare ups. That is some nasty and wonderful stuff. It's like the fibromyalgia completely goes away when I'm taking it and for a day or two afterward. THEN the side effects kick in. Hair loss is the least of my worries with this stuff! Seriously. How can something so "good" be so "bad?"

• crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Registered Users Posts: 2,098
    I might be a little late to the party. I don't see a problem using the relaxer with the prednisone, especially with such a low dose.

I do not have lupus, but do have fibromyalgia and eczema and take prednisone for the eczema flare ups. That is some nasty and wonderful stuff. It's like the fibromyalgia completely goes away when I'm taking it and for a day or two afterward. THEN the side effects kick in. Hair loss is the least of my worries with this stuff! Seriously. How can something so "good" be so "bad?"

Are you sure you have fibromyalgia? Who diagnosed you? Family physician, ob/gyn, rheumatologist, etc.

Fibromyalgia shouldn't go away when you use Prednisone. Fibromyalgia is not inflammatory and Prednisone has anti-inflammatory properties.
    In fact, many rheumatologists will put you on Prednisone for a couple of weeks as a test for fibro. If it goes away, you have some inflammatory problem, if it stays, you have fibro.
    I have lupus and fibro for many years now... studied these diseases intensively, gone to 5 different rheumatologists, etc.... this is one area that I have to understand.
    Especially since you have eczema (I used to but it's been in remission), it's autoimmune, and once you develop 1 autoimmune disease, you're more likely to develop another.
    Email me if you're interested
    [email protected]

Nicole
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Registered Users Posts: 3,823 Curl Neophyte

Are you sure you have fibromyalgia? Who diagnosed you? Family physician, ob/gyn, rheumatologist, etc.

Fibromyalgia shouldn't go away when you use Prednisone. Fibromyalgia is not inflammatory and Prednisone has anti-inflammatory properties.
    In fact, many rheumatologists will put you on Prednisone for a couple of weeks as a test for fibro. If it goes away, you have some inflammatory problem, if it stays, you have fibro.
    I have lupus and fibro for many years now... studied these diseases intensively, gone to 5 different rheumatologists, etc.... this is one area that I have to understand.
    Especially since you have eczema (I used to but it's been in remission), it's autoimmune, and once you develop 1 autoimmune disease, you're more likely to develop another.
    Email me if you're interested
    [email protected]

Nicole

I was diagnosed by someone who specializes in fibromyalgia. There are random instances of the fibromyalgia going away with prednisone because of the effects it has on the brain. They did all sorts of tests on me, tried anti-inflamatories, etc. When nothing came up, and the trigger points all hurt, they determined fibromyalgia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file