Maxiglide is it worth it?

Frizzia Frizzia Posts: 43Registered Users
I heard alot of good things about it---- and bad. I really want to try it but im not wasting $100 for something that doesnt work like $100.
Anyone have it and could tell me about it?
Thank oyu.
2c with a bit of 3a curls
Loving: Paul Mitchell Mousse + LA looks curl gel

Comments

• katherinelovesevryonekatherinelovesevryone Posts: 230Registered Users
    i used it back when my hair was relaxed and i was transitioning....i hated it, absolutley hated it. it got it straight and it felt smooth but it was a huge poofy mess!....that was just my experience because everyone else ive talked to about itloves it so maybe i wasnt doing it right.....but maybe it will work for you =]
    3c/4a fotki [update 4/18/09]
    blog
    approaching BSL
    BC 4/26/08! Last relaxer April '07

:wav:
    aussie moist /suave coconut conditioner (cowash/leave-in)
    long aid activator gel
    random condish+honey+olive oil+cocnut milk+whole milk+conditioner (DT)
    finger combing>>>>Tangle Teaser
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Posts: 264Registered Users
    Its the best straightener I've ever used. It gets my hair stick straight in one glide and my ends don't look dry like with other straighteners. It takes a little getting used to because you can't squeeze, you have to glide it down the hair. I got mine for $90 (brand new) on ebay three years ago and it still works as well as the day I took it out of the box. I'd say it's worth the $$$.
    3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
  • smokindivasmokindiva Posts: 90Registered Users
    Maxiglide is the best straightner EVER! I have 4a hair with bits of 4b throughout. I recently purchased HAI convertible ceramic flat iron and decided to straighten my hair. 5 mins into the process my hair smelled like it was frying. It was stiff with no shine and it smelled to high heaven. Just before I was going to give up I remembered I still had my maxi glide and pulled it out. What a HUGE difference. My hair smoothed out quickly with no smell and silky to the touch. I agree with curlybrunette5 who said it takes some getting use to because you don't use it as you would a flat iron. You don't have to press down ie, using your hand to press together. You glide it down and when you get to a tangle you use the steam and press on. Honestly, I've spent over a $100 for a flat iron and maxiglide worked tons better. You can purchase from Misikko.com and they sell the maxiglide for $70. Great purchase and so worth every penny.

Yvonne
    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
    -MLK

Loves: Henna, Amla, Rhassoul clay, avocado butter, aloe vera gel, flax seed gel and castor oil.
  • SoulGloSoulGlo Posts: 39Registered Users
    Back when my hair was relaxed, I LOVED my maxiglide! I haven't used it since I've been natural. The key is to follow the directions very carefully. If you rush, you could risk breakage from the pins. I would also suggest trying it w/o the steam first. But yeah, it is mos def worth the buy.
    3C-ish/4A-ish
    Last relaxer: 12/06?
    BC: 12/07 (I did the honors:-)
    Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/SuaSponte/
    PW: Liberation
  • JruthlewisJruthlewis Posts: 1Registered Users
    I am transitioning now, and currently use maxiglide. I love it! It's the only thing that has allowed me to transition as smooth as I have. I would highly recommend it. If you are like me, sometimes you like it curly and sometimes straight. It will satisfy your fix for straight hair.
  • katherinelovesevryonekatherinelovesevryone Posts: 230Registered Users
    well damn what was i doing wrong?
    3c/4a fotki [update 4/18/09]
    blog
    approaching BSL
    BC 4/26/08! Last relaxer April '07

:wav:
    aussie moist /suave coconut conditioner (cowash/leave-in)
    long aid activator gel
    random condish+honey+olive oil+cocnut milk+whole milk+conditioner (DT)
    finger combing>>>>Tangle Teaser
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    well damn what was i doing wrong?

I didn't like it the first couple times I tried it, either. I took it back. I tried again, probably a year later and love it! I think for me, my technique was all wrong. I was probably squeezing too hard, and didn't curl it in on the ends so that my hair just curved under. (sorry, hard to explain, but the first time, it was more like the end of the broom, ugly:thumbdown:) I may have been trying to straighten too much hair at one time, also. The first time I use it after a wash, I have to do very small sections. The following days of touch up, I can do larger sections. HTH!
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • adamsrib5adamsrib5 Posts: 31Registered Users
    do you have pics of your 3c or 4a hair straightened with the maxiglide? i'm thinking of buying it too but i'm worried about breakage. doesn't the steam with the direct heat make your hair more vulnerable? have you experienced breakage over a period of time?
  • Curly_DivaCurly_Diva Posts: 151Registered Users
    Maxiglide is the top best flat iron. Second to that which I own is the Sedu.
    BC Feb 2008
    3c, 4a. HE, castor and jojoba oil, acv rinse
  • smokindivasmokindiva Posts: 90Registered Users
    You can check this link out on You Tube. She compares sedu flatiron with maxiglide.

Yvonne
    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
    -MLK

Loves: Henna, Amla, Rhassoul clay, avocado butter, aloe vera gel, flax seed gel and castor oil.
  • msgdfx1msgdfx1 Posts: 106Registered Users
    For those curlies that have used Maxiglide, did you find that it damaged your hair or caused your hair to be less curly? That is my fear about using a straightening iron. I don't want to cause any damage. But, I really would like to wear my hair straight from time to time. Thanks.
    3C and natural for 5 years:angel10:.
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    I used Maxiglide on my 3b/c hair, and it worked on my relaxed hair, but it's not doing very well with hiding my roots, since I'm in the middle of transitioning. I still have really strong wave that is noticeable, and the steam I think is just damaging on top of what you already do, which is using the flat iron in the first place.

My hair is pretty resistant, so no breakage, but that probably isn't common, and the steam burned my scalp when I tried it. Probably best to use the steam about 3 inches away from your scalp, but I didn't use it since it didn't change the results.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Onethousandcurls, did you use the regular Maxiglide? There is a smaller version, about an inch wide, that might work better on your new growth. Called the Mini-Glide? I think you are right about the steam. I vaguely recall the informercial recommending you use the steam a few inches from the scalp.
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    I do have a miniglide, which I didn't even think to try, but that might be a good idea.

Although, I hesitate to do it because I don't want to damage the new hair.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Posts: 264Registered Users
    I just had to add this to the Maxiglide post. I'm a longtime user, but yesterday I went to get my hair trimmed and wanted the stylist (a new one I've never used before) to straighten it. I assumed she would blow it out, but instead she just roughly dried it all and then flat iron it section by section. It took FOREVER and did turn out really straight, however, I can get over how horrible my hair feels. This is right after a trim, but the flat iron made my hair feel like straw. She used smoothing balm and a heat protectant spray, but I can't even run my fingers through my hair without fear that my hair going to snap off. Its horrible! I normally straighten with my Maxiglide and I didn't realize before how soft and moisturized the steam makes my hair! So, this just reaffirms my love for this appliance. I haven't used any other type of iron in years and I won't stray again.
    3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
  • SandraDgroovySandraDgroovy Posts: 139Registered Users
    I just got my maxiglide in the mail! After reading these posts, I am happy I spent the money on it. Thanks for the input ladies!
    Sandra, RN & fitness competitor.

Transitioning since 4/2008, with no plans to BC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sandra-Fields-Fitness-Competitor/115579921807944

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file