Going Blonde: Colorfix or Bleach??

Lucky1Lucky1 Posts: 2Registered Users
My hair is currently dyed medium/dark brown. It's been dyed quite a few times before this. Dark brown is also my natural color.

I want to go back to blonde. I have used bleach before and found it very damaging. I was interested in colorfix. Will this stuff lighten my hair enough to be able to put a blonde color over it? or will I have to bleach? Was is my best option? Thank you :)

Comments

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Try ColorFix first. Strand test. Pay attention to the condition of your strand. Save it for several days to see if it redarkens.
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    I'm going to *guess* that you will need to bleach. ColorFix is only going to remove the hair color.
    After removal of the color, I don't think you are going to be light enough to go blonde, considering your natural color is dark brown.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    How light do you want go?

When I was this light, I had to use bleach...

2006-mid-length-blonde.jpg

Now I'm darker and use Garnier 100% Color in 800. Gets my almost black roots this color in about 10 minutes and isn't damaging.

blonde.jpg
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • Lucky1Lucky1 Posts: 2Registered Users
    If my hair was bleached blonde before the dark brown it is now would colorfix bring it back to that color? or back to my natural color??
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    I think you're just going to have to do a test strand and see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Yes, if the ColorFix is going to work, it will remove all/some/most of the deposited dye. If your natural pigment has been removed in some way, either by previous bleaching or peroxide that was in the brown dye, ColorFix will not bring it back. It only removes dye particles.

Even if it works, ColorFix won't be the last thing you'll need to do. It almost always leaves shades of funkiness in its wake. None of it may even be the fault of ColorFix, it's just whatever was going on underneath the dye particles before.

You'll have to do some coloring of some kind after ColorFix, if you decide to use ColorFix. The thing with bleach is, it usually lifts natural pigment long before it touches dark dye. So if ColorFix worked and then you bleached, you could get away with weaker bleach and a shorter application than if you were to just take bleach to the dyed hair.
  • merrillinamerrillina Posts: 2Registered Users
    When I used colorfix followed by an ion high lift blonde with a 40v I was able to get up to a level 8-9

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file