Is Ammonium laureth sulphate gentler?

kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
I know cg is about staying away from sulphates, however I have noticed that even natural companies do use this type in their shampoos, is it gentler, ok to use on your hair occasionally or is just as drying?

Comments

• curry curlscurry curls Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Curl Connoisseur
    This was in an article I read on here. I copied this part:

*Stop shampooing your hair. Most shampoos contain harsh, drying sulfates that are extremely damaging for curly hair (ammonium laureth sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate, etc.). They make curly hair frizzy and uncooperative. Using conditioner in place of shampoo will cleanse the hair just as effectively without stripping it of moisture. Gentle shampoos that contain mild cleansers (i.e. cocamidopropyl betaine or coco betaine) can be used occasionally.*
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition and Deva Heaven In Hair
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

• a.l.i.c.e.a.l.i.c.e. Registered Users Posts: 673
    I have heard that laureth is gentler than lauryl and that ammonium is gentler than sodium. I think the order is (from harshest to least harsh)
    Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
    Sodium Laureth Sulfate
    Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
    Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
    Coco... Betaines and other cleansers

I am doing this from memory, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong!!! Please, I don't want to be misguided or misguide others!

That said, the shampoo that has *seemed* gentlest to me lately is the Dove Cool Moisture Cucumber/Green Tea, which has Sodium Laureth Sulfate (and no cones). I used to use HE Hello Hydration (I stopped because it had cones), which had AmmoniumLS, and it seemed to both strip my hair, and leave it feeling heavy and coated (probably from the cones).
    botticelli-ish bob.

Current Routine:
    -Suave Aloe & Waterlily cowash/leave-in
    -Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    -FOTE aloe vera gel
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Registered Users Posts: 780 Curl Connoisseur
    I like the Dove Cool Moisture too. I think Laurabeth had mentioned she likes it also.

I always thought the ammoniums were the most harsh?? I remember it that way because ammonia you'd clean with is more harsh than sodium/salt. (just a way to help me remember). Someone set us straight, please!
  • TooSenseTooSense Registered Users Posts: 229
    That's in Paula's book--she says avoid the "laurel," but the "laureth" is OK.

Personally, I play it safe & avoid sulfates altogether. Being something of a writer, I can't help but think of the root word "sulfur," which always brings to mind volcanoes, so I have this stupid visual in my head of shampooing my hair with lava. :laughing7:
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Curl Connoisseur
    I like the Dove Cool Moisture too. I think Laurabeth had mentioned she likes it also.

I always thought the ammoniums were the most harsh?? I remember it that way because ammonia you'd clean with is more harsh than sodium/salt. (just a way to help me remember). Someone set us straight, please!

Same here! I'd love to know the answer.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • a.l.i.c.e.a.l.i.c.e. Registered Users Posts: 673
    Quote: I always thought the ammoniums were the most harsh?? I remember it that way because ammonia you'd clean with is more harsh than sodium/salt. (just a way to help me remember). Someone set us straight, please!

That definitely makes sense to me, and I agree that the association with sulfur scares me a bit, but Cool Moisture did seem to do nice things to my hair. It was a free sample they sent in the mail, so I might just have to try a bottle once I clean out a few other things. I LOVED the smell.
    botticelli-ish bob.

Current Routine:
    -Suave Aloe & Waterlily cowash/leave-in
    -Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    -FOTE aloe vera gel
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    ammoniums are harsher than sodiums...but someone once linked that one was more harsh to the scalp and the other is more harsh to the hair. I don't know.
    All I know is sodium laureth sulfate shampoo is pretty gentle on me.
    lauryl is definitely more harsh than laureth.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file