Robert Craig seems to be turning my hair black...

jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
The last few times I've used RC color, I've noticed that it seems to leave what I've colored practically black.

As I understand it, if you apply RC over traditional haircolor, this will happen, but I haven't done that, so I'm wondering what could be going on. Anybody have any ideas? CurliLocks? :wink:
3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
Twitter: nopoojillipoo

Comments

• BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    are you doing the root touch up method or all over coloring?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Only the roots. Yet the first two inches or so of my growth is much darker than the rest of my hair. The first few times I used Robert Craig in Golden Chestnut, my hair looked great. Now, though, every root application turns out dark!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You must tell me everything you are doing! I wish mine was darker! It's been coming out lighter instead! :lol:

Seriously, what are you doing when applying color? Heat, reducing water, anything? How long are you leaving it on? Maybe you just don't need to leave it on that long anymore.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    You must tell me everything you are doing! I wish mine was darker! It's been coming out lighter instead! :lol:

Seriously, what are you doing when applying color? Heat, reducing water, anything? How long are you leaving it on? Maybe you just don't need to leave it on that long anymore.

I love that you're here. :toothy7:

I mix the color with 3 oz of warm water. It is, in fact, probably often warmer than is desirable but I'm too lazy to fiddle with it. Anyway, I then apply it in painstakingly accurate lines over the top of my head (where most of my gray is). I put a plastic bag on my head, let it sit for 45 minutes while I go about my business in the house. Then, I rinse out, co-wash, and condition and style.

So, really, the color is on my head for close to an hour, when you consider application time. Too much, you think? (I started doing this when 30 minutes wasn't seeming to cover as well as I wanted....)

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had to stop using Robert Craig because my hair was getting too dark...almost black in some areas. It looked like shoe-polish.
    I had to stop using Robert Craig because my hair was getting too dark...almost black in some areas. It looked like shoe-polish.

Well, now, that is interesting. So I'm not the only one. So do you still color your hair, RedCatWaves, and if so, what do you use? I hate to go back to Matrix stuff...

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    jillipoo wrote: »

Well, now, that is interesting. So I'm not the only one. So do you still color your hair, RedCatWaves, and if so, what do you use? I hate to go back to Matrix stuff...

I use henna now. I think I just have really porous hair and that's why my hair grabs the RC color too much. I tried another deposit-only haircolor and had the same thing happened. I can't use anything with peroxide in it either, because I swim daily, and chlorine and peroxide = straw. So, that pretty much leaves me with henna...or gray hair, which I'm not happy with either. I do love my henna though.
    I would back off on the timing a bit, keep it to 45 min max total time. Or, do not bag your head so it doesn't heat up. That may be making it darker too, it's just taking too well. :)

My hair was also going too dark, but I was using a darker color at the time. I haven't had the problem since I switched to a lighter color (Golden Chestnut, sometimes Light Chestnut for the roots) and adjusted the timing. I actually have very resistant gray, but the rest takes color easily. So I have to do be careful.

HTH and LMK if it comes out a little lighter next time. :)
    I'll take your advice, CurliLocks, but if it doesn't come out lighter next time, I may have to stop using RC. And that makes me sad because I thought I'd really found a good alternative to harsh hair color. Grrrrrr.

Hopefully, no plastic bag and a shorter time will help.....

You could always try mixing a blonde shade into it to lighten it up. I have been doing that with the Light Chestnut. If the other tips don't work, LMK and we can find the right mix for you.

I'll be on vacation starting 7/12 - 20, but I'll check back on this when I return. Bump this up if you remember and color again by then. :D
    You're so sweet, CurliLocks. Thanks very much and have a great vacation!

jillipoo wrote: »
    You're so sweet, CurliLocks. Thanks very much and have a great vacation!

Thanks, we did! My sis went with us to Disneyland for a week. Yay! I haven't gotten to spend that much time with her in years. :toothy7: We all had a blast! But we're tired. :tongue5:

Have you colored again yet? LMK how it works out. :)
    Oh, that sounds like fun! I sure could use a trip to Disneyland (or any place removed from reality).

I chickened out on the Robert Craig and went to my stylist on Saturday, where I got some semi-permanent color. I'm just afraid to take the risk of getting more black hair!

But I don't know how long the semi-permanent solution is going to be viable for me, to be honest. I need to refresh it every three weeks, and it's not like it'll just be the roots that need color -- it'll be the roots and whatever else received the semi-permanent in the past. <sigh>

I should just start letting the gray come in....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file