Myths/Urban Legends On Hair Growth

msjokermsjoker Registered Users Posts: 1,658
A lot of women on different forums rave about the MTG product which supposedly encourages hair growth. I'm not interested in buying this product but I'm curious if it works or not. Also some women say Monistat really made their hair grow. Fact or fiction????
"It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."

Comments

• nubianqt86nubianqt86 Registered Users Posts: 70
    Its scary to me. I tried the MTG for one day and decided to never do it again (the funk is awful)! Those who use it regularly have posted positive results on lhcf.
  • An AkashaAn Akasha Registered Users Posts: 175
    Honestly, I don't believe it.

I tried Viviscal a few years back, when I had a super short TWA and wanted to grow it out, and did not notice any growth acceleration. IMO, it was wasted money. Tons of people swore it worked. Personally, I think it was only wishful thinking.

Eating well, excercising and taking a multivitamin has helped my hair grow a lot more than anything.

HTH
    BSL of thick 4a/ 3c coils.
    Member since 1999.
  • AmberWavesAmberWaves Registered Users Posts: 231
    I have some fierce dandruff and I've used Glovers Anti-dandruff Ointment in the past. The active ingredient is sulphur (5%) and I did notice growth as a side effect. Since they say MTG is basically sulphur in some kind of oil, then I do suspect that maybe some form of hair growth may be associated with its use.

I don't think there exists such a thing as a miracle growth potion like the ladies on LHCF claim, but then again maybe it all works for them. I agree with An Akasha about proper diet and exercise being your best bet for hair growth.
    AmberWaves
    3c/4a
  • msjokermsjoker Registered Users Posts: 1,658
    nubianqt86 wrote:
    Its scary to me. I tried the MTG for one day and decided to never do it again (the funk is awful)!

LOL, some people say it smells like bacon. :shock:
    "It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."
  • isaiahsmomisaiahsmom Registered Users Posts: 8
    what does MTG stand for?
    natural 4a since 2000
  • KnottyKnotty Registered Users Posts: 164
    Mane Tail and Groom. I think.
    3c/4a
    event.png
  • loonatickloonatick Registered Users Posts: 7
    i used it for a short time too. i say short because i couldn't take it no more!! It stinks, turns all my jewellery, stains my beautiful satin pillows and did i mention it stinks!! I am not willing to endure all these things for some inches, i rather exhaust myself with good old exercise and hope for the best. :D
    4ab kinky fine strands - 8-9 inches
    DC Challenge throughout winter
  • TroDousTroDous Registered Users Posts: 241
    I refuse to smell like bacon so I will not try MTG. But it should work though, sulfur is one of the active ingredients and I use my own sulfur solution to boost my growth.

The monistat (from what I've read) works more for woman who have scalp issues like excessive dry/flaky scalps or things like that. I remember one poster saying it worked like Nizoral but better. I don't have scalp issues though so I won't try that either.
    Coily, springy, major shrinkage!
  • jada1111jada1111 Registered Users Posts: 829
    I don't know if any of it's true or not, but I really don't want my hair to grow any faster than it is. The longer it grows the more challenging it becomes.
    Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower
  • AmberWavesAmberWaves Registered Users Posts: 231
    TroDous wrote:
    I refuse to smell like bacon so I will not try MTG. But it should work though, sulfur is one of the active ingredients and I use my own sulfur solution to boost my growth.

The monistat (from what I've read) works more for woman who have scalp issues like excessive dry/flaky scalps or things like that. I remember one poster saying it worked like Nizoral but better. I don't have scalp issues though so I won't try that either.

I stopped using Glover's for my dandruff because of the odor and the fact that it doesn't rinse well. I thought all sulfur products smelled like that. How do you remove the odor from your sulfur solution?
    AmberWaves
    3c/4a
  • TroDousTroDous Registered Users Posts: 241
    AmberWaves wrote:
    I stopped using Glover's for my dandruff because of the odor and the fact that it doesn't rinse well. I thought all sulfur products smelled like that. How do you remove the odor from your sulfur solution?
    The sulfur I use has a very slight sulfur odor. I put other fragrant oils in it that overpower it. And I have a very sensitive nose so I know it can't be that strong...at least not to me :)
    Coily, springy, major shrinkage!
  • sam1082sam1082 Registered Users Posts: 61
    bumping...wondering if its true that mtg is basically sulfur in oil...then realistically one wouldnt need that, they could just keep using msm, right?
  • MsC.MsC. Registered Users Posts: 489
    I just threw my MTG out this passed week,it has cade oil,mineral oil and sulfur in it,I cant remember if there is anything else in it,but it smells really bad i tried it for a few weeks but i cant take the smell and i dont like the oil content,I am using the qhemet line and their products have msm in them and smell much better.

Fact or fiction?
    I read that MTG causes grey hair,is that true?
    Big Chop August 23,2008 myself&two daughters;-)
    Fia`s system:3c/4aMii
    INSANITY WORKOUT week 3 Day 1 7lbs lost to date:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlyconfusion87curlyconfusion87 Registered Users Posts: 34
    sam1082 wrote: »
    bumping...wondering if its true that mtg is basically sulfur in oil...then realistically one wouldnt need that, they could just keep using msm, right?

ITA. I believe what you put inside your body has more potency than anything that you apply externally. I just started taking MSM along with increasing my intake of water and I have gotten a steady flow of hair growth with minimal shed.
    3c + 4a/b = ME!

just started CG and I'm liking it so far.
  • Ms KittyMs Kitty Registered Users Posts: 556
    I would never put coochie cream in my hair:goofy::toothy10:
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    Coconut,Jojoba and JBC oils
    Rosemary Oil/w horsetail,coltsfoot and Nettle leaves.
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

http://public.fotki.com/mj11051
  • curlymaybecurlymaybe Registered Users Posts: 354
    Ms Kitty wrote: »
    I would never put coochie cram in my hair:goofy::toothy10:
    I almost peed my pants when I read this. And I totally agree. There are limits, and this is one of them.
    Hair loves: aloe vera juice, cocoa butter, camellia oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Never forget, justice is what love looks like in public." ~ Cornel West
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    is mtg the horse hormone stuff?

and like ive said before, monistat will be going nowhere near anything above my waistline.
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    Ms Kitty wrote: »
    I would never put coochie cream in my hair:goofy::toothy10:

Ahahahaa! You're thinking MT. The MTG one is what they put on horses.

I tried the sulfur mix on my scalp for a week and I got huge pimples, my neck got a rash, and I ended up throwing it away. It took about a month for my face to clear up. I won't try MTG because of the sulfur and because I heard it smells like butt LOL
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file