Went To "deva Savvy" Salon Yesterday

EviesMomEviesMom Posts: 37Registered Users
(If after you read this you are curious as to the location of this Salon, please private message me, I don't feel it's polite to post it publically :) thanks)

And I'm sad to say I wasn't impressed.
The cut is fine...
The girl was VERY VERY nice...
But she didn't have curly hair, or it she did it was combed out and slicked back into a ponytail... and not very curly looking at all...
My experience was like this...
I walked in, she asked what I wanted.. I told her I use the Deva line and don't comb or use shampoo (cept low poo once a week)
I would like to have my curls cut so they have shape and bounce and can do their thing...
She smiled and said OK! Looks like you need some layers!
Then she proceeded to wash my hair (with low poo, but ALL over my hair, ends and everything... and just kinda mushed it around my head) which is a BIG CG no no... then rinse and conditioned with One C.
Next we went back to the styling chair, I shook my hair out so she could see the natural way it went.. and then SHE COMBED IT OUT.............................
She parted it in the center..... and combed it to the sides.............(big CG NONO)
Kinda made me a little sad... but moving on...:cry:
She then cut it... WET... even tho I had been told she attended the Curly Girl Deva Expo thingy taught by Lorraine Massey...where they teach how to DRY CUT so every curl gets it's own cut, since none are the same...
Cut a few inches off, added some layers... then brought me back to the sink so we could style it fresh.
She asked how I styled it. I told her, sopping wet I apply B'Leave and Angell... by scrunching and using a tshirt to dry...
She followed this well, scrunching in the b'leave and angell and using paper towels to get some of the excess water out...
Then I sat in front of some heat light things, and it looked alright, but no better than the layered cut I had my mom give me a few months ago. :(

I guess I had expected some spectacular experience or something. Be taught something new about MY hair in particular and some techniques or something...
A hair cut made for ME and my hair type and not just layers...
I'm kinda disappointed. I was really excited and honestly, it was nothing special.
I'm actually going to just let my hair grow out until I see my mom again (probably a year or so) and have HER cut my hair cuz it's free... and slightly better than the 'deva professional' cut I got.
Or keep looking for someone who can REALLY help me with my hair.

OH and I had asked for an appt for a consultation first, to really TALK about my hair and my type and everything... really get to KNOW my hair and how it curls and then go from there BASED on my PERSONAL hair ways... but that didn't happen :angry7:

If gas wasn't so expensive and if I was sure that Lorraine Massey's salon wasn't super booked forever... I'd go there next time. So I could REALLY get the CG experience like it says in her book.

I guess my hair looks alright, but like I said before, nothing special... I think it wuold have looked much better if she had cut the curls seperately depending on the way they curled and not just comb and cut :(

You can see the before and after on my fotki... The after is a lil frizzy cuz I had to give my lil one a bath and the steam is killer haha
2c/3a????
Fine dry red hair
Currently Using: Devacurl Low-Poo, One Condition, Suave Naturals Coconut, B'Leave In and Angell
http://public.fotki.com/Eviesmom/
pw: coobug

Comments

• EviesMomEviesMom Posts: 37Registered Users
    When I look at the before and after photos it makes me sad... it looked better before..........
    I'm upset now........
    :cry::cry::sad3::cry::cry::sad3::cry::cry::sad3:
    2c/3a????
    Fine dry red hair
    Currently Using: Devacurl Low-Poo, One Condition, Suave Naturals Coconut, B'Leave In and Angell
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I"m so sorry. That is so disappointing. I've never been to a Deva salon but I've read enough to know that she did it all wrong. Makes me angry! I think it takes about 2 weeks - month to get haircut at Devachan. Maybe you should consider it. Good luck with everything.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Thanks... now I just have to wait for my hair to grow out enough to where there's something to work with...
    it's not SUPER short... just barely touches my shoulders... but how much shorter can I go??
    :(
    2c/3a????
    Fine dry red hair
  • sherry7899sherry7899 Posts: 897Registered Users
    I'm so sorry you did not get the cut you wanted. I know how you feel. I don't understand how people can be "deva certified" and then not follow what they were taught.

Maybe you'll like it more after wetting and styling it yourself?

Take care,
    Sherry
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So sorry. I just don't get why none of the things you wanted were given. Why do some salons say "yes" when inevitably it's "no" that we get?
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Maybe you'll like it more after wetting and styling it yourself?

That was my thought too. Post an update after you styled it yourself!
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I'm so sorry about how things went. I would be terribly disappointed too. FWIW, your hair is still very pretty. If it's anything like mine, it takes a few days to get used to a haircut before it will behave.

Off topic: Is your little one named Evie? I REALLY wanted to name DD Evelyn (Evie), but DH had a mean Sunday school teacher named Evelyn O'Brien, so he said no. It's a beautiful name! :love7:
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
    I've always loved the name Evelyn, too.
  • ScrappyTamScrappyTam Posts: 470Registered Users
    Have you contemplated calling the salon back and talking to a manager? YOu don't have to be angry or anything, but let them know how disappointed you were.
    I almost threw my ovaries at him. - Trenell

Yea, my daughter's name is Evangelia. My husband is greek, and thus her name reflects her heritage :) We call her Evie on occasion, but she only responds to her full name, which is fine with me :) I think it's a beautiful name.
    I always wanted to name my daughter Evelyn, I think it's a classically unique name, but I gave it a greek twist to include the hubby's side of things :)
    Thank you tho, I love her name :)

And I thought about calling and explaining to the salon my situation and how 'deva stylists' should follow the 'rules' without having to be told step by step what to do...
    I just don't want her to get in trouble, and I highly doubt much would get done... tho I would like to prevent another visit like mine for someone who is also looking for a Deva Cut... we shall see... maybe I'll call today.
    2c/3a????
    Fine dry red hair
    Updated pics on my fotki of how I styled it today... not too bad... I might get my layers trimmed a lil shorter in back for a more dramatic appearance. :) Now I just have to find a salon AGAIN :P
    2c/3a????
    Fine dry red hair
    If you are uncomfortable "tattling" on the stylist, try this approach. Call and talk to the manager. Tell him/her that you are a little confused. Let them know you had been doing some research on getting your curly hair cut. Your research led you to believe that the Deva style cut consisted of A. However, your stylist did B. Then you can say something along the lines of that you are just trying to understand things so that you will have the correct expectations the next time you come in.

This doesn't attack the salon/stylist. It kinda makes them think that you were the one that was confused (even though that's not the way it was) and that you aren't attacking them. By doing so, they probably wont' get defensive with you and that could go a long way for you.

If you do call, let us know what happens! Good luck!

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Wow, I like it a lot better when you styled it!
    I called them and explained nicely how I was under a certain impression, based on a book I read and the deva website about how the cut should be and how a stylist should handle it and I did tell her I was confused when it didn't go as 'planned'
    She said most of the stylists need you to step by step them if thats what you really want, and that ALL stylists are trained to follow YOUR rules and do what YOU want... so if I had failed to explain CORRECTLY what it was I wanted, then the stylist isn't at fault, I am...
    Wow huh??
    hehe

Yea the hair's not too bad today... a lil curlier than before which is nice, still not how I want it to look HAHA but maybe that's just my hair (dang!)
    2c/3a????
    Fine dry red hair
    So, you're at fault because you didn't think you had to explain what you'd already confirmed she could do? Please don't go back there.

People are driving me crazy lately.
  • UTgalUTgal Posts: 320Registered Users
    I'm sorry you didn't have a better experience. :sad:

I'm shocked she used the no-poo on the ends of your hair! :shock: That's a huge no-no from what I understand. Sounds like she breezed through the classes and really didn't pay attention. :sad8:

I hope you can find a new Deva stylist you like. Keep looking, it is worth it! :smile:
    2c w/a bit of 3a
    Fine & plentiful, no dyes
    bioInfusion the Gentle One Shampoo
    Currently loving:
    Deva ArcAngell
    Deva Set it Free

Curly since 6/17/2008.
    oregonian_showersmile.gif
    http://public.fotki.com/UTgal/
    PW: browncurls
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know you don't want to get anyone in trouble and you didn't want to tell who your stylist was and where the salon is, but I really hope you will.

Please go to the salon review section and tell this story. You can be polite and tell your story nicely, like you did here. The thing is this thread will soon fall off the front page and a week/month from now some unsuspecting curly will probably go there and have a bad experience like you did. You aren't being mean by posting your experience.

The salon is a business and if they're not giving their customers what they want then the customers have the right to inform others of the service they received. Please do this for all the other curlies out there!
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
    I can't believe that they said you were supposed to tell them step by step how to cut it. Heck, isn't that what they get paid to do?? If I knew how to cut my hair properly, I certainly wouldn't pay someone to do it.

How frustrating. I would not go back again. Sorry your experience was such a bummer. Hopefully the next one will be better.

I agree with an earlier poster. Go ahead and post your review...warts and all. Hopefully your review will save someone else from having the same bad experience that you did.

• popcornfeetpopcornfeet Posts: 7Registered Users
    Wow. I think this is rediculous... I think you did everything right. Honestly, if it was me I would go to the source since they are advertising as deva cuts... Maybe the deva people would like to know.

If I were Deva I would want to know... I have a feeling that they have a specific way of doing things in mind and they don't intend their brand to be used to bring people in but than not used to do the style. Their way of doing things is time consuming and work intensive but it shouldnt be up to the client to insist on getting the 'full' package. I doubt deva would consider these deva cuts...
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    EviesMom wrote: »
    I called them and explained nicely how I was under a certain impression, based on a book I read and the deva website about how the cut should be and how a stylist should handle it and I did tell her I was confused when it didn't go as 'planned'
    She said most of the stylists need you to step by step them if thats what you really want, and that ALL stylists are trained to follow YOUR rules and do what YOU want... so if I had failed to explain CORRECTLY what it was I wanted, then the stylist isn't at fault, I am...
    Wow huh??
    hehe

Yea the hair's not too bad today... a lil curlier than before which is nice, still not how I want it to look HAHA but maybe that's just my hair (dang!)

I want to second the "Don't go back there, please!!" A better stylist would have stuck to the method you'd asked for in the first place and confirmed with YOU what you wanted done at each step, not half assed the method and then blamed you for the "confusion". A better salon would have owned up to the error, at the very least.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file