Aveda Salon experiences?

OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
Who here has had their hair cut at an Aveda salon? I am thinking of scheduling an appointment with them, and would like to know what to expect.

What is the price range for a regular cut?
Do they offer consultations? Free or for a charge?
Dry-cutting hair?
What was your experience? Good? Bad?

I realize that these things vary from location to location, so if there's anyone out there from the Portland/Eugene (Oregon) area with a recommendation, I would be very appreciative! Thanks in advance!
http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
I LOVE HENNA!

Comments

• OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    Anyone? Anyone at all?

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    In the Curl Salons, at the top, there are several salon listings for Eugene and Portland- good feedback also.

My current and amazing stylist owns an Aveda salon. Not sure if your questions can be answered definitively since stylist vary.
    Good luck!
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I went to an Aveda salon for about 2 years. I'm not a big fan of Aveda products and of course that's what they - exclusively.

However; my stylist, who I love, was there. When he left, I went with him. I've found it doesn't matter as much about the where - more about the who.

It was almost double in price what I pay now. Part of the process was putting a hot towel on your head which was heavenly but definitely not worth double the price. I did have a free consult before I went. No one there did dry cuts. I'm in Canada the salon in Portland may be completely different.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • curlyneencurlyneen Posts: 138Registered Users
    I went to Aveda exclusively for about 2 years. I had an amazing experience right at the start, which is why I continued to go back. Turns out, after trying several Aveda salons since then, it was mostly just the stylist. She was amazing. I currently live 6 hours from her now, and I still make the trip about twice a year for her cuts. She had read the CG book, had curly hair herself, and yes, she cut it dry. See if anyone has curly hair and/or if anyone in the salon specializes in curly hair. I haven't had bad experiences at an Aveda salon, so I think you should give it a shot.
    fine & thin, 3A/3B Botticelli curls
    Started CG July 6, 2008

Current experiments:
    - Deva Low Poo (every 3 days)
    - Suave Naturals coconut conditioner for cowash
    - AOHR for detangling the length
    - KCKT/KCCC combo
    - Diffuse with the Deva Fuser

my fotki: http://public.fotki.com/curlyneen
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I went to an Aveda salon for 8 years and only recently switched. I really liked my stylist but needed a change. I liked the Aveda products and used them exclusively until I went CG. Now I don't use any Aveda because of the sulfates and silicones. Frankly, I got annoyed at how expensive the newer products were too.

I agree with the PP though. I think it depends more on the stylist than the salon. Good luck!

ETA: just realized I didn't respond to your questions. My stylist cut my hair dry (at my request). The cost of a haircut was around $40. The salon would not have thought twice about doing a free consultation.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    Thank you everyone for the responses. $40 is well within my budget and I'm glad to hear that they do in fact have free consultations. I am not interested in buying their products and I'm sure it's nothing a little clarifying shampoo/vinegar rinse can't get rid of after the cut.

I know it depends on the individual stylist, but my logic was that because Aveda is a worldwide brand with a pretty good reputation, it would be a good place for me to start my hunt. Also, there is an Aveda salon in my favorite mall, so it's convenient. :)

So yeah, I am now convinced that I should try it out. Thanks again!

I LOVE HENNA!
  • curlsgirlcurlsgirl Posts: 104Registered Users
    I searched for Aveda and found your post. Just wondering if you had tried the Aveda salon yet. I LOVE mine. I have only been going about 6 months but I am very impressed at least with my stylist. She does my color and doesn't try to push products on me and I trim my own hair. She even tries to SAVE me money and helps me take care of my longer hair that I want to grow out. I would love to know how you liked your visit if you went!
    3a M iii waist stretched and growing :)
    newpics2-2.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file