CurlTalk

Not to be negative, but have you heard about...

ebzonixebzonix Posts: 411Registered Users
... the Blended Beauty owner and her dislike for those who aren't "truely mixed". It was kind of disappointing because I love the product, but I wouldnt wan to support someone who doesn't like my type of hair, or race because I'm not mixed.

more info: the link
Goals:
CBL Stretched: Reached! July '09
Full SL stretched: Reached, then trimmed off. Dec '09
Even, full NL unstretched

Comments

• TheseRCurlsTheseRCurls Posts: 78Registered Users
    Will you copy and paste the thread? No one can't read it unless she is a member of that forum.
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    Yeah this has come up in the past. I've read forum where the owner of Blended Beauty talks about mulatto's having their own race.

I found this on Happy Curls:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.happycurls.com%2Fv2%2Fsmf%2Findex.php%3FPHPSESSID%3D56f8e6c533bcc48596c604ca3d58e211%26amp%3Btopic%3D93.0" class="Popup

And the original post on LHCF is this one:
    "
    Did ya'll know the blended beauty chick , the creator of the products believes in a seperation of our race, a 'truly mixed' race. meaning 'her' and others like her should be considered another race. Seperate from AA's. YEAH I seen it with my own eyes her talking about 'those people' and 'her people' (the true mixies)

ya'lll should think twice if you want to support her products! I personally never would!

since she has since cleaned up all that B.S. off her site. Maybe some of the other ladies that witnessed that crap could testify to what went on!"
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    "basically she wanted and believed in separatism by skin color and percentages she wanted the blacks to be black and the mixed to have a new race called the 'truly mixed or true mixies'

she was quoted as calling the non 'truly mixed' , "those people" are this or that (such as angry when she got blasted on NP) and 'her people' were the only people that understand her, her people being the 'truly mixed'

She's a few sandwiches short of a picnic if you ask me!

AND it was a whole air of superiority to the blacks! because she was only a certain percentage!"
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• Ms KittyMs Kitty Posts: 556Registered Users
    Wow, Glad i never bought her products.
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    Coconut,Jojoba and JBC oils
    Rosemary Oil/w horsetail,coltsfoot and Nettle leaves.
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmj11051" class="Popup
  • Booker Ts MamaBooker Ts Mama Posts: 670Registered Users
    If she did say something like that, that's very ignorant on her part. All of us are mixed with something nowadays. I've never bought any of her products and after hearing this little tidbit, I never will.:angry7:
  • PetalPetal Posts: 219Registered Users
    Oh my gosh, that's the stupidest, most ignorant thing I've ever heard in my life. :angry7:
    3A-3B mix, medium-thick, prone to splitting. Products: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Jojoba oil, Free me freesia conditioner to detangle. Trying to experiment with protein DTs a few times a month.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    Ebzonix, you may not be aware, but this is trolling. Post a fact, post a quote. But don't post hearsay, unless you've heard it yourself. It's funny how even though the LHCF OP "seen it with my own eyes" but doesn't post any evidence.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    i've heard that, BUT i will be honest with you...do you know how many products that are geared towards african american women, made by non-african american people, who im sure have used some not so nice terms if you catch my drift? same thing applies.

or hell, let's use walmart as an example. you know how many shady practices have been brought to daylight, sexism, racism, handicapped-ism (lol not a word but you get my point) and i know TONS of people shopping there!!!! now i don't, i flat out refuse to spend my money there, but people do!
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • ShonesShones Posts: 244Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »
    i've heard that, BUT i will be honest with you...do you know how many products that are geared towards african american women, made by non-african american people, who im sure have used some not so nice terms if you catch my drift? same thing applies.

or hell, let's use walmart as an example. you know how many shady practices have been brought to daylight, sexism, racism, handicapped-ism (lol not a word but you get my point) and i know TONS of people shopping there!!!! now i don't, i flat out refuse to spend my money there, but people do!

ITA.
    Natural since '97 - 8 yrs loc'ed, free-form since then :)
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlysweetlife.blogspot.com" class="Popup
    Twitter: ShoniFree
    YouTube: Shonesters
    Fearfully and wonderfully made in His likeness and image
  • TK*TK* Posts: 885Registered Users
    Ebzonix, you may not be aware, but this is trolling. Post a fact, post a quote. But don't post hearsay, unless you've heard it yourself. It's funny how even though the LHCF OP "seen it with my own eyes" but doesn't post any evidence.

Good point...but on the likely chance that this isn't hearsay, wow, is all I have to say to this. I personally wouldn't want to be called a "mixie" for a race, lol! And if we start calling black + white a race, we'll have literally HUNDREDS of different races because people of all heritages mix and match and with different percentages! Mix 1= 50%White + 50%Hispanic, Mix 2=75%White + 25%Hispanic etc. etc. etc. and then with non-whites mixing together! We'd have hundreds of thousands of different races if we did it that way, lol! Everyone is mixed to some degree.
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • ebzonixebzonix Posts: 411Registered Users

You're right and I apologize for just giving you ladies a link that only have what others have said about the situation. Lucky, I was able to find the real link where the whole conversation occured in 2005. I really meant what I said in the title of my post, I was just very curious to know what you ladies think about the situation, when some of you may have thought about buying her products. I personally was disappointed.

Well here's the link.
    Goals:
    CBL Stretched: Reached! July '09
    Full SL stretched: Reached, then trimmed off. Dec '09
    Even, full NL unstretched
    ebzonix wrote: »

You're right and I apologize for just giving you ladies a link that only have what others have said about the situation. Lucky, I was able to find the real link where the whole conversation occured in 2005. I really meant what I said in the title of my post, I was just very curious to know what you ladies think about the situation, when some of you may have thought about buying her products. I personally was disappointed.

Well here's the link.
    . the Blended Beauty owner and her dislike for those who aren't "truely mixed".

Okay, I read the second link. Where in her posts does she claim dislike for those who aren't truly mixed????
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
  • TK*TK* Posts: 885Registered Users
    (Read it too and didn't find anything saying "dislike" for those who weren't mixed) However, it did sound like blended beauty wanted to separate hair by ethnicity, therefore promoting her line as "special" since it was specifically for bi-racial/muti-racial-typical hair. Key word, "typical." She sounds a little confused, as black or white or any other race can have the same kind of hair as what she believes to be strictly "bi-racial/multi-racial hair type" and vice versa.
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • soon2bsoon2b Posts: 220Registered Users
    I agree with SBB. To me, It seemed like she was trying to gather information for her product line by asking other interracials about their current hair care. Race became an issue bc she wanted to hear from interracials. I do not think that she does not like other ethnic groups. In addition, even if she did make it for mixed ppls hair, black hair care products on the ethnic isle do the same thing, but no one is jumping down the producer of those products bc they are catering to black hair.
    event.png

Hair Type: small 3c patch in the center, mostly 4a with a patch of 4b at my temples
    Shampoo: Suave daily clarifying ( when I feel that need)
    Conditioners: AOHSR, MM, olive oil
    Styler/Leave-in: SheaMoisture, Fantasia IC, HNS
    What is interesting to me is that while Blended Beauty line gets hit on by trolls, Curls and Mixed Chicks also classify their line as bi-racial, multi-racial and don't get pissed on like this.
    comic-p.jpg

• TadazzlecurlzTadazzlecurlz Posts: 37Registered Users
    I have to agree reading through the thread it looked as though she was trying to gather information. I didn't see anything about dislike for another race and i'm not quite sure why she would dislike another race considering she is mixed and the different races are what make her who she is. And i do agree with the fact that you have all types of different companies making different products for different hair types and no body is questioning them. Also information travels fast and gets very twisted at times so i think it is very important to make sure you actually know all the facts because sometimes things arnt what they seem, for better or for worse there is usually always something that you dont know. Anyway i have never used this line and i'm new to this whole getting use to my natural curls anyway but i think it is very important that we together make sure we know everything before passing any type of judgment because we all know that nobody likes to be judged and the truth can be twisted way out of proportion into something horrifying that is never was in the first place, so just keep that in mind. :wink:
    3b/3c Curls lookin for some lovin!!

comic-p.jpg

Check out my blog....Under Construction BIG TIME ;-)
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftadazzle.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • momo7momo7 Posts: 478Registered Users
    I read the second link. My head was spinning from all the race talk. It got annoying/boring after a while. She (Blended Beauty, the poster) could have had good intentions, but her approach probably could have been a little better. Some quotes that may have started the whole thing:
    -"Hi I'm half black and half white. My curly hair is not quite the same as most. Is anyone else here interracial?"
    This could have just been her attempt to identify with others she could relate to....Nothing really wrong with that.

-"I didn't mean only interracials have curly hair. It's a certain type of curly hair. It's not the same as normal curly hair usually. You'd have to be mixed to know what I mean."
    The last sentence seemed to really do damage. Although I do understand where she was coming from, it just kind of seemed like a shut down.

She probably should have started out the first post (like an intro paragraph post or something) by stating her race (which is MORE than okay, that's great because I don't see anything wrong with not stating your background) then, the hair type (which is even better so we could get a better idea of what she's talking about ), and then asking if others could identify with being interracial or have the same or similar hair type. It would have been less of what seemed to become biased.

Overall, maybe it was a complete misunderstanding of approach or maybe she (or others) just couldn't get past the whole race issue to actually get a good conversation going. It's okay to talk about race when it comes to hair, it's only normal, but that was just too much for my eyes. People from very different racial backgrounds can have the same hair as well as the same hair problems.

Anywayz...LOL, I literally am dizzy from reading all that stuff from the link and writing this long response. :glasses9::tongue5:
  • chicacanelachicacanela Posts: 184Registered Users
    ^^^ITA momo. excellently stated. i am of mixed race descent too, but i never really say it and hate mentioning it because when i have mentioned i come from two different racial backrounds, pple have said i was just trying to distinguish myself and to try and look "better" or "different" than others, which is COMPLETELY untrue and hurtful. anything that has to do with race makes me itchy now and i hate talking about it.
    3c/4a 100% natural:bunny:
    I :love8: Tahitian Monoi Oil.
    Current Faves: Dr. Bronner's Organic Shikakai Soap (hands, face and hair), Cabellina del Cabello, Eco Styler with Argan oil, Sesame seed oil
    Conditioner Only Method.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fpeabella" class="Popup
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users
    I'm not going to post an opinion, but I did read an older post on another board about her. Someone had posted a link where she supposedly had said some terrible things, but when I checked it out, she'd gone back and edited all of her posts to be blank...so...I dunno...I've not tried her products yet and don't at this time plan to.
    I will say this: I bet there are plenty of people out there we are buying stuff from that have done/said horrible things that would affect our buying their products if we knew about it. BUT I guess the difference is that there is some doubt here.
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Ay ay ay..

This lady seems to have a chip on her shoulders. I'm a "true mixed" person by her definition, but I simply would not buy her products because of her attitude and ignorance. Would she not sell her products to a Caucasian, Asian, Latino, or Black person with the same hair type as hers simply because they aren't multiracial and "wouldn't understand"? Gimme a break.. money is green so why should she care who is buying her products?
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users

SBB....I've seen it with my own eyes...however since the board has been deleted, no will will be able to post any proof. I remember stumbling onto the site a while back and thinking "dayum these chicks are crazy". It wasn't until later that I realized it was the blended beauty chick. This is the MAIN reason that I have never tried any of her products. I'm sorry but I can not support a business that was founded on the principles of colorism and racism.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    Chicacanela:

Thank you! :compress:

BekkaPoo:

So true. It may have been a bit more professional to just resolve disputes instead of going @ it back and forth as they did. :argue: It was years ago that the incident took place (I think 2005) so, hopefully things have gotten better since then. If not, then it's unfortunate.
  • TrulyTruly Posts: 70Registered Users
    I remeber being put off a while back by the advertising of Blended Beauty and I had no idea why so I asked my sister if she picked anything up like that either, but she didn't. She said it was the same thing as lines devoted to black women, so I guess that's right, but I STILL don't buy it. It's just inexplicably offputting for some reason lol!

I have two black parents, but both sides are mixed from a long time ago. My dad's side is from Louisianna, and most of them are those type with the Michael Jackson pale skintone lol, and they're VERY proud of it.

I think that's why I'm always put off when biracial people want their own race, since I had to spend so much time around the people who probably INVENTED the paper bag test lol. They consider themselves black, but a different, (better), type. They REALLY don't like being called out on the snobbery either, and will totally deny that they think they're better because they're so mixed, but I'm not stupid lol.

I'm THE darkest girl out of all the aunts and female cousins, like a pecan among almonds and shredded coconut lol, and if it weren't for my 3c hair I would have been lower than dirt in their eyes, but it's as subtle as it is irritating, and I have a MILLION stupid little incidences that I won't bore you with that would have made me into a self-hating black person if not for my mom's non-colorstruck influence. My sister has 3c/4a hair and for a long time she felt REALLY bad about it.

But anyway, basing an ethnicity on being mixed has already been done, and there are entire nations brimming with self-hatred beneath the surface, so while I think people should acknowledge both sides, they shouldn't forget that black people come in ALL colors, and that one isn't better than the other, like my mom taught me lol.

Not to get Al Sharpton on everyone lol, but it just seems like whenever we try and divide everyone up into categories, we end up tearing each other apart, so we should work more on making everyone feel equal than on deciding what to call each other.
  • ShonesShones Posts: 244Registered Users
    Truly -- good points, girl. Glad you posted.
    Natural since '97 - 8 yrs loc'ed, free-form since then :)
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlysweetlife.blogspot.com" class="Popup
    Twitter: ShoniFree
    YouTube: Shonesters
    Fearfully and wonderfully made in His likeness and image
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users
    The issue I take with this entire thread is that, as of yet, no one has posted any REAL evidence of the charges they make against Blended Beauty. And then a lot of the posters on this thread are just taking so-and-so's word for it and that's really unfair.

You can't just attack someone's livelihood and not have any proof to back it up.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • Curly~ChloeCurly~Chloe Posts: 57Registered Users
    just curious...did everyone read all 3 pages of that bs?? i sure did and wow what a waste of time!!! i need a breather:

WOOOOOO SAAAAAHHHHHH :eek:

anyhow, boards like that just make me appreciate all of u on this board...lets keep the positive energy flowing cuz all that negativity just goes straight to the curls and interferes with its fabulocity, and i can't have that :laughing7:
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    midgi wrote: »
    The issue I take with this entire thread is that, as of yet, no one has posted any REAL evidence of the charges they make against Blended Beauty. And then a lot of the posters on this thread are just taking so-and-so's word for it and that's really unfair.

You can't just attack someone's livelihood and not have any proof to back it up.

How can they have that if the site has been deleted? Well, I guess if anyone remembers some detail of what went on in those forums they could google it and see if there are still some dregs of it floating around the internet.

There was actually a long thread on here a couple years back in which one member of NC reposted stuff that had been said to her on the BB forum, which the owner who was the moderator did nothing about.

A bunch of women jumped on her telling her in no uncertain terms she was "too black" to have the 3c curls on her head and some drama ensued out of that.

The thread got deleted on here, one might infer, at the request of BB, who at least at that time had some ads up on the site. If anyone remembers the poster's name I could google it and see what comes up.

BB had some links to some racist "mulatto movement sites" on the website last I saw it, I don't know if her marketing awakening of late has enlightened her enough to remove them. Anyway, the content of the sites she linked to were like the insecure black person's version of Stormfront. If they are still there, I suppose you could click on them and see for yourself.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    midgi wrote: »

The site has been deleted...or at the very least, the forum that is in question is a ghost forum on a larger forum. I know what i saw with my own eyes and read...and while i dont like attacking folks livelihood...she's got some serious issues that she needs to seek professional help for. I don't care HOW good the products are, she'll never see one red penny of my money.

Ok so I did a quick google search...and here is her profile on one of the board that I remember reading the stuff on.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmulattocomm.proboards30.com%2Findex.cgi%3Faction%3Dviewprofile%26amp%3Buser%3Dblendedbeauty" class="Popup

you can't search the board to find the posts unless you are a member....so those of you that are interested...have at it!

yet another board where she is a member and people seem to remember her

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fonedroprule.org%2Fabout3403.html" class="Popup

Now....this is just what i turned up by entering in her screen name which is usually blended beauty and the term mulatto.

i'm willing to bet that her PR person has told her to stay off these sites because as you can see...its relativly easy to pull up stuff from a few years back if you know the right search terms to look for. Also, I remember on one board, she went back and edited ALL her responses on the board so that if you googled it and pulled it up, a lot of what she was saying had been deleted or seriously edited.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    just curious...did everyone read all 3 pages of that bs?? i sure did and wow what a waste of time!!! i need a breather:

WOOOOOO SAAAAAHHHHHH :eek:

anyhow, boards like that just make me appreciate all of u on this board...lets keep the positive energy flowing cuz all that negativity just goes straight to the curls and interferes with its fabulocity, and i can't have that :laughing7:

LMAO..my eyes were spinning too!!! It was too much!!! :P
  • aricurlaricurl Posts: 304Registered Users
    I'm wondering if this is a cultural/regional thing. I only throw this out there because I recently had lunch with a co-worker who is Nigerian. She said in Nigeria, if you're mixed, you're considered 'colored' not 'black' (not speaking for all of Africa of course). I was shocked. She went on to say Nigerians do not follow African American's rule of 'one drop of black blood...'. I don't know a black Canadian let alone a mixed Canadian, to ask how things are considered in the Northern parts. If anyone on this site can shed light, I would be interested in knowing.

This is the first I've heard of the owner of BB (supposedly) saying these things. I was surprised when I first read it because she has a black model on her site using products for 4ab. It could simply be a misunderstanding or someone on her team telling her to stop this ish, cause it won't fly with the blacks in USA. I currently own BB products and will buy again.

I didn't read this whole thread. Just a few of the comments when it was first started. So if this was brought up already....sorry.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Faricurl%2F" class="Popup
    PW: twelve

My Routine.
    Weekly Cleansers: Co-Wash - Suave Coconut or Yes to Cucumbers and Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. Giovanni 50-50 poo on scalp only.
    Moisturizers: Mix of Giovanni Direct with AO Honey Suckle; KCKT; Jamaican Castor Oil, water.
    Sealers: My whipped raw shea butter/oil blend.
    Scalp Oil: Jojoba, Rosemary, Horsetail, Burdock Root, Aloe Vera Gel
    Hairstyle: Protective.

Henndigo occasionally.