CurlTalk

RCW - Homemade Vit C serum?

M2LRTooM2LRToo Posts: 446Registered Users
I saw in another thread that you bought everything to make your own...how are you doing this and what did you buy?

Comments

• CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    I'm curious, too.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users
    I don't think she makes her own Vitamin C serum. I asked her a while ago (if only I can find the thread) and she mentioned that there is difficulty getting the right pH, etc. so it isn't something she would recommend.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    helloitsio wrote: »
    I don't think she makes her own Vitamin C serum. I asked her a while ago (if only I can find the thread) and she mentioned that there is difficulty getting the right pH, etc. so it isn't something she would recommend.

I did say that, but I've been using so much of it lately that it's getting prohibitively expensive. I've been searching around and there seems to be a fairly wide consensus that homebrewed Vit C is effective if made in very small batches, so you can use it up within a few days. It oxydizes very quickly and that's where the commercial manufacturers have the edge...they can make stuff that lasts longer. But the ingredients are fairly cheap, so if this works for me, it'll save me a ton of money even if it is a PITA to make every few days.

The recipe I'm going to play around with is for a 20% solution:

1 tsp distilled water (must be distilled, not tap)
    1/2 tsp l-ascorbic acid powder
    1 tsp hyaluronic acid and/or 1 tsp glycerine

The powder gets disolved in the distilled water and then the HA or glycerine gets added. Store in a cool dark place, preferably in an opaque bottle.

This is where I bought the l-ascorbic acid from:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thepersonalformulator.com" class="Popup
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,486Registered Users
    1 tsp hyaluronic acid and/or 1 tsp glycerin
    Is this just the regular hyaluronic acid that's used for the face as a moisturizer?
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    VTmom wrote: »
    1 tsp hyaluronic acid and/or 1 tsp glycerin
    Is this just the regular hyaluronic acid that's used for the face as a moisturizer?

Yup
    one more thing...I've seen a similar DIY recipe that uses sea kelp bioferment in place of the hyaluronic acid. Do you know what the benefits of SKB might be?

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    The powder gets disolved in the distilled water and then the HA or glycerine gets added. Store in a cool dark place, preferably in an opaque bottle.
    How handy that I saved my bottle from the PSF Vit-C!
    Minneapolis, MN
    VTmom wrote: »
    one more thing...I've seen a similar DIY recipe that uses sea kelp bioferment in place of the hyaluronic acid. Do you know what the benefits of SKB might be?

I don't know what that stuff is, let alone if it has any benefits. Bioferment sounds rotten though...LOL

• GabbylkpGabbylkp Posts: 197Registered Users
    I have a question as well. I use PSF Vit C serum but it's getting expensive for me as well. I have L-Ascorbic acid powder from Whole Foods and would like to make a homeade serum also. Is the hyaluronic acid you are adding in a serum form, like the kind from Reviva labs? I have googled it, but most of the types of hyaluronic acid that come up are in the capsule form.
    Dwight Schrute: [pushing Michael's face into the wet cement] Force it in as deep as you can. Michael Scott: That's what she said.
    I have a question as well. I use PSF Vit C serum but it's getting expensive for me as well. I have L-Ascorbic acid powder from Whole Foods and would like to make a homeade serum also. Is the hyaluronic acid you are adding in a serum form, like the kind from Reviva labs? I have googled it, but most of the types of hyaluronic acid that come up are in the capsule form.

No, that product is a moisturizer that happens to call itself HA. It's not just HA, but contains other ingredients. I'm talking about HA, which is an ingredient, not a product. I bought 8 ounces of HA from here: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ingredientstodiefor.com%2Fitem.php%3Fitem_id%3D126" class="Popup
  • GabbylkpGabbylkp Posts: 197Registered Users
    Great. Thank you RCW!
    Dwight Schrute: [pushing Michael's face into the wet cement] Force it in as deep as you can. Michael Scott: That's what she said.
  • M2LRTooM2LRToo Posts: 446Registered Users
    Thanks! I pretty much have everything except the asorbic acid.
    How is it working out? Is it as effective as the Vitamin C you have purchased from PSF?
    Minneapolis, MN
  • M2LRTooM2LRToo Posts: 446Registered Users
    Yes, RCW how is the latest formula working out?
    Sorry...haven't made any yet. I'm still trying to finish up my last bottle of DY Vit C.
    Anything yet?
    Minneapolis, MN
    You ladies are funny...and very thorough on your follow-up.

Yes, I am now using my homemade Vit C serum, and it is FAN-TAB-U-LOUS! It feels and works just like an expensive pre-made serum, and because it costs me only pennies, I don't feel like I have to conserve it, so I'm using it lavishly, twice a day, and glowing as only Vit C can make me glow.

A batch lasts me about a week, and it hasn't (so far) started to oxydize before I'm able to use it up. It feels active on my face. I need to get some more precise measuring spoons, because I think I'm not consistently getting a quarter-teaspoon of l-ascorbic acid in my mix, because sometimes it feels stronger than others. The recipe I'm using is:

1 tsp distilled water
    1/4 tsp l-ascorbic acid powder
    1 tsp hyaluronic acid

dissolve powder into water, shake well, then add HA and shake well again. I'm not using any glycerine right now. Feels perfect as it is.

I will never BUY premade Vit C again...this is SO SO SO cheap!
  • VanedaVaneda Posts: 402Registered Users
    I was thinking about this very subject on my way to work this morning...wondering if you had tried the homemade Vit C yet....

I am definitely going to give this a try. Glad you have having such wonderful results.
    2/b-2/c - I shampoo daily with non-sulfate shampoos - right now am *loving* L'Oreal Everpure shampoo and conditioner
    For styling: homemade flax seed gel, Curl Keeper, and/or KCCC
    Current favorite product: *KCCC*!!

• CurlyGina2CurlyGina2 Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    where are you buying the ascorbic acid from?

Is this hyaluronic acid okay? I randomly added it to my cart on GOW a few weeks ago, and I don't have much use for it-

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gardenofwisdom.shoppingcartsplus.com%2Fcatalog%2Fitem%2F4013927%2F4757244.htm" class="Popup

Thanks = )
    CurlyGina2 wrote: »
    where are you buying the ascorbic acid from?

Is this hyaluronic acid okay? I randomly added it to my cart on GOW a few weeks ago, and I don't have much use for it-

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gardenofwisdom.shoppingcartsplus.com%2Fcatalog%2Fitem%2F4013927%2F4757244.htm" class="Popup

Thanks = )

Yup. That'll work.

This is where I bought the l-ascorblic acid:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thepersonalformulator.com%2Fwvss%2Fproduct_info.php%3Fproducts_id%3D1199%26amp%3BosCsid%3Df87aelc3gi7acle1dpi8ttjos2" class="Popup
  • alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
    I made some of this.....and it is awesome! Mostly because it's cheaper but also because I couldn't seem to make it through an entire bottle of the PSF Vitamin C without it oxidizing. So some of it went to waste. And it was awfully expensive to not be lasting until the end.

So even if this stuff oxidizes quickly, it doesn't make a whole lot and throwing out a little bit won't be so much of a bother with the drastically lower cost! :)
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
  • LucilleLucille Posts: 588Registered Users
    I was thinking that rather than using distilled water, I might make green tea with distilled water and use that instead. Thoughts?
    Lucille wrote: »
    I was thinking that rather than using distilled water, I might make green tea with distilled water and use that instead. Thoughts?

Yup, that'll work. You get extra anti-oxidants that way. Some people use rooibos tea also. I think it might spoil faster with tea in it though. Not sure.
  • LucilleLucille Posts: 588Registered Users
    Yeah, I bet you're right. I would think that making it every four or five days and keeping it in the fridge would probably suffice though.

I think I'll try a batch or two without green tea. See how that works for me and if it's okay, switch to green tea to see how that goes.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    How can you tell if the batch is starting to go bad?
    :rambo:
  • alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
    I'm just going based on what I saw with the PSF Vitamin C...it started to turn yellow and develop an odor.

It's usually clear and odorless.
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
  • shannon35shannon35 Posts: 114Registered Users
    RCW...how is the homemade vit c serum going for ya? Are you still having great results w/ it? Just wondering because I will either be buying it from PSF or making my own as you did...all depends on your answer. :wink:
    Also, are you still using the same measurments as your previous posting stated?
    comic-p.jpg
    3b curls fine/medium & porous (I think)
    CO-WASH: Suave Naturals coconut
    COND: Matrix Biolage cond. balm or
    AOHR
    ACV rince 1x wk
    LEAVE-IN: Giovanni DLI, Matrix Biolage balm or Aura Cherry Almond Bark
    GEL: HE set me up
    SKIN: Purpose gentle cleansing bar
    shannon35 wrote: »
    RCW...how is the homemade vit c serum going for ya? Are you still having great results w/ it? Just wondering because I will either be buying it from PSF or making my own as you did...all depends on your answer. :wink:
    Also, are you still using the same measurments as your previous posting stated?

Still loving it. Still lavishing it on my face, neck and chest twice a day. I'm using half the hyaluronic acid than the recipe calls for, because I really don't need that much moisturization in the summer months. I make a double-batch about once a week...

2 tsp distilled water
    1/2 tsp l-ascorbic acid powder
    1 tsp hyluronic acid

The PSF vit c serum is really great, but it's so expensive. My homemade version is just as great.
  • CurlyGina2CurlyGina2 Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    I got some of the ascorbic powder and made the serum, but it burned when I used it :sad8:. I'll make another batch and put less powder in.