CurlTalk

What to use for a braid out

Shooting StarShooting Star Posts: 167Registered Users
I'm trying to wear my hair in a braid out, but no matter what I do the style won't hold. It will be a nice wavy pattern at first, but then throughout the day it will start to lose that pattern.

I have tried to use gel, but that just makes my hair dry and the gel flakes. I have used some lemon and lime that I mixed together, but all that does is make my hair shiny and soft (not that that is a bad thing :toothy7:)

What products do you ladies use and suggest? Does using water work just as good as using a product? Thank you for your suggestions.

Oh, and can someone tell me about those Jessie products? Do they actually work?
I Love Epic Men...
RacerX.jpg

Comments

• motherearthamothereartha Posts: 355Registered Users
    this is been happening to me too lately!!! ladies, please help....last product i used was sheaM leave-in, Curls By Sister Smith Wet Set Pudding, and SIF.
    thick, kinky, nappy, hair w/ dashes of curls
    pw: bearhair
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    i've done braidouts using coconut oil only! i had my hair done in cornrows, wore them for a few days and then took it out. another time i did a braidout from boxbraids using products from my asha, which included coco de leche, sun kissed and mane attraction.

but you can also use a hair cream or butter, something with a bit of heft to it if you know what i mean.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • Shooting StarShooting Star Posts: 167Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »
    i've done braidouts using coconut oil only! i had my hair done in cornrows, wore them for a few days and then took it out. another time i did a braidout from boxbraids using products from my asha, which included coco de leche, sun kissed and mane attraction.

but you can also use a hair cream or butter, something with a bit of heft to it if you know what i mean.

I'm sorry, but what is an asha? I'm new to all of these terms.
    I Love Epic Men...
    RacerX.jpg
  • anonymous_4926anonymous_4926 Posts: 678Registered Users
    when i used to do braidouts, i used setting lotion and grease (of course you can substitute a non-mineral oil based heavy moisturizer). i achieved braidouts from box braids, and it helps to have each section saturated with product for the sleekest look and firmest set. if you want more fluff and less sleek then use less setting lotion/more dilute setting lotion.
    natural since 1998. trying to adapt to this midwest weather while still keeping it simple. current length: MBL (stretched)

www.fotki.com/curlymami
    pw: enter
    myashas.com

there are a couple old threads around here that you can search for. her stuff does take awhile to come but i it!
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    To get braidouts that last, I have to leave the braids in for a couple of days. This is the same with my twist outs. Nothing I use gets them really defined but time. Mostly because my hair takes like 2 days to dry.

AS for miss jessies...there are several threads around about the products. Just do a quick search and you should find several of them!
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • tjbrattjbrat Posts: 67Registered Users
    I've used pure coconut oil in the past. It really held the style and moisture for days on end. I did find it was a bit greasy. I know use a combo of several things. I section my hair piece by piece and that's how I apply products for a twist or braid out. I start with a leavin conditioner, then I apply a homemade moisturizer (a combo of a little this and a little that), I then apply IC Fantasia gel and twist or braid. BTW I do this at night. The next morning I spray on SIF and go. I leave the twist or braids in for a couple of days then take them apart. I have a LOT of definition. I just spritz with the SIF and apply moisturizer everynight. In the morning I just shake and go.
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    I've never done a braid-out, but I'm assuming they're similar to twist-outs...my 2nd fav style of the summer 08 :D

I saturate my hair in conditioner and moisturizers (as Curlymami said) and twist. I only leave the twists in over-night (I usually do them around 6pm and take them out at 11am the next day). It really doesn't matter how much of the Jessicurl, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]Deva One C[/buylink] and SIF I use...my hair comes out fluffy but defined each time. I love this combo :D
    curlymami wrote: »
    when i used to do braidouts, i used setting lotion and grease (of course you can substitute a non-mineral oil based heavy moisturizer). i achieved braidouts from box braids, and it helps to have each section saturated with product for the sleekest look and firmest set. if you want more fluff and less sleek then use less setting lotion/more dilute setting lotion.

What type of setting lotion did you use?

Coconut oil also sounds like something I would use. Where do I buy coconut oil? Can I just make it by putting it in a blender? I did this with the lemon and lime and got nice results.

I'm sorry ladies. I hope I'm not getting on your nerves by asking all of these questions. I'm just trying to get back into the swing of things.

I like to do the braids at night like curlynikki and taken them down in the morning. Oh and by the way, curlynikki, I am so jealous of your hair! It's gorgeous!
    I Love Epic Men...
    RacerX.jpg
    Thanks Shooting Star! Aren't night time twist/braid-outs the best :D I hate waiting on my hair to dry...this is the only way for me.
    curlynikki wrote: »
    Thanks Shooting Star! Aren't night time twist/braid-outs the best :D I hate waiting on my hair to dry...this is the only way for me.

You're welcome. I'm impatient when it comes to braid/twist outs. Plus I just love to wear my hair loose. I have so much hair, why should I hide it?
    I Love Epic Men...
    RacerX.jpg
  • deahnataydeahnatay Posts: 82Registered Users
    long lovey locks has a product especially for braid outs. Its called Braid Boyeaux (I think thats how u spell it) it worked really nice in my hair, but her prices have gone up and I had to use so much of it, the bottle didnt last long enough.

I love Twist Out by My Honey Child. I usually twist my hair dry or damp (after a work out), this is the only product that even with my hair damp, will be completely dry in the morning even if I dont twist it until 11pm. It does build up though, so needs to be rinsed out every few day, but I work out daily so I need to do that anyway.
    deahnatay wrote: »
    long lovey locks has a product especially for braid outs. Its called Braid Boyeaux (I think thats how u spell it) it worked really nice in my hair, but her prices have gone up and I had to use so much of it, the bottle didnt last long enough.

I love Twist Out by My Honey Child. I usually twist my hair dry or damp (after a work out), this is the only product that even with my hair damp, will be completely dry in the morning even if I dont twist it until 11pm. It does build up though, so needs to be rinsed out every few day, but I work out daily so I need to do that anyway.

wait, sidenote, you ordered from long lovely locks and actually received your products???
    [/B]

wait, sidenote, you ordered from long lovely locks and actually received your products???

lol. yeah, but that was like a year ago. I havent ordered anything since then.

ooh! cause girl i heard ppl weren't getting their stuff and they had to report the lady. oh well, c'est la vie, i tried her stuff and it wasn't anything to write home about. not for my hair at least!
    [/B]

ooh! cause girl i heard ppl weren't getting their stuff and they had to report the lady. oh well, c'est la vie, i tried her stuff and it wasn't anything to write home about. not for my hair at least!

thats interesting. I visited her site just last night, the first time in months, and noticed that her prices have truly increased.

But I just has a similiar experience with Ebene products, I still have yet to recieve my order from February. Do you know how to report online businesses. I have called, left messages and sent numerous emails. All I have recieved in return was form letters.

thats interesting. I visited her site just last night, the first time in months, and noticed that her prices have truly increased.

But I just has a similiar experience with Ebene products, I still have yet to recieve my order from February. Do you know how to report online businesses. I have called, left messages and sent numerous emails. All I have recieved in return was form letters.

you have to contact the better business bureau...

/home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fodr.bbb.org%2Fodrweb%2Fpublic%2FGetStarted.aspx" class="Popup

i hope that helps!
    [/B]

you have to contact the better business bureau...

/home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fodr.bbb.org%2Fodrweb%2Fpublic%2FGetStarted.aspx" class="Popup

i hope that helps!

thanks
    Lol, well I'm not ordering anything from anybody if I can't get my products. Thanks, Empressri for bringing that up.

Last night I tried using conditioner for the braid out and it worked really good. The only thing I didn't like about it was how the conditioner has a hint of white build up on my hair. I'll have to find a conditioner that is not so heavy. Thank you ladies for your help.
    I Love Epic Men...
    RacerX.jpg
    Lol, well I'm not ordering anything from anybody if I can't get my products. Thanks, Empressri for bringing that up.

Last night I tried using conditioner for the braid out and it worked really good. The only thing I didn't like about it was how the conditioner has a hint of white build up on my hair. I'll have to find a conditioner that is not so heavy. Thank you ladies for your help.

no problem darling! trust me, if EMPRESSRI puts her stamp of approval on a product, you better believe that stellar customer service is part of that package. cause ill spend some dough on something if the customer service is great. but if you suck, i don't give two hoots, you won't get one red cent of my money!

anywho, what products do you have so far? i can list the extensive amount of things i have and give recommendations, but i know not everyone has the amount of crap that i do lol
    [/B]
    ShootingStar, which conditioner did you use?

I can vouch for Jessicurl WDT (you can purchase in Curlmart) and Devacare One C (has one cone...can purchase from Curlmart or Ulta). I use these two together and although my hair has a white hint as I twist, it dries into the shiny black and auburn fluffiness tht you see in my siggy. I heart this combo and I don't know what I'd do if they discontinued either of them!
    Empressri, I want to hear a loooong, drawn out, detailed version of your routine! In fact, I demand it :D

I'd like to know what you do (and use) on wash days and how often you repeat the process during the week...or if you just do it once a week.

Thanks!!!!
  • amaraliceamaralice Posts: 302Registered Users
    I second that request!
    curlynikki wrote: »
    Empressri, I want to hear a loooong, drawn out, detailed version of your routine! In fact, I demand it :D

I'd like to know what you do (and use) on wash days and how often you repeat the process during the week...or if you just do it once a week.

Thanks!!!!
    Lakshmi's Cupboard
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2FLakshmsCupboard.com" class="Popup

If I use it, I sell it!

4A. Hair goal chin level while curly - achieved Oct 2010!
    Next Goal: Shoulder length - Achieved Summer 2012!
    New Goal: Bra Strap Level
    Routine
    DT: Amla Silk Deep Therapy Restorative Masque , rhassoul clay
    Leave-in: Amla Lavender Chamomile Leave-In Hair Cream,, Amla and Honey Detangling Conditioner, Bhaasvataa Oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i third!!! wait can i third myself?? hehehee!!!

okaayyyy here it is!!

every sunday i wash. now because of the what i used in my hair last wash day i won't need to wash this sunday, ill just take my twists out, and possibly rinse them (and my scalp) in the shower and use a little [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Greg-Juice-p-190.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-greg-juice-nourishing-herbal-leavein]greg juice[/buylink] afterwards that that will be it.

but i digress.

basically i detangle my hair first, just a little bit. i now got a good jojoba shine hair brush which is EXCELLENT!!! it helps clear out the shed hair and does rip and tug at your tresses.

i then get in the shower and let my hair get soaking wet, divide my hair into right and left sections and proceed to detangle with my jilbere shower comb, THEN a regular wide tooth comb that's typed for long coarse hair. that takes about 10-20 minutes.

i then use the shampoo of my choice (currently chagrin valley shampoo bars) and i lather twice with those. depending on my moods ill add baking soda to the first lather OR i'll do an apple cider vinegar rinse afterwards. then i use the honey butter soap afterwards (makes my hair feel heavenly!) lather up, leave it in for a few minutes and then rinse. THEN ill use either diluted trader joe's nourish spa to pour all over my head, and it's like instant silkiness, no joke. that REALLY TRULY helps get all of the tangles out! i also have aubrey's conditioners, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Honey-Hemp-Conditioner-p-860.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-honey-hemp-conditioner]oyin honey hemp[/buylink] and now elucence, but when im trying to be fast ill use the diluted tj. and the way i do that is get an empty 32 ounce dr bronner's liquid castile soap bottle (which i keep around for this purpose), put a few squirts of the tj in, fill the rest up with filtered water from my showerhead, shake up, and then pour over my head when i finish shampooing.

THEN...once im done, more often that not ill do a deep treatment, and i use that with my heating cap for half an hour or so. then ill rinse and proceed to twist or style however i feel!

i have a TON of products but the regimen usually stays the same ;)
    [/B]
  • amaraliceamaralice Posts: 302Registered Users
    Thanks empressri. I aspire to have the "long hair detangling" issue. :wink:
    Lakshmi's Cupboard
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2FLakshmsCupboard.com" class="Popup

If I use it, I sell it!

4A. Hair goal chin level while curly - achieved Oct 2010!
    Next Goal: Shoulder length - Achieved Summer 2012!
    New Goal: Bra Strap Level
    Routine
    DT: Amla Silk Deep Therapy Restorative Masque , rhassoul clay
    Leave-in: Amla Lavender Chamomile Leave-In Hair Cream,, Amla and Honey Detangling Conditioner, Bhaasvataa Oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SexyCapSexyCap Posts: 52Registered Users
    This may seem like a dumb question, but what are 'box braids'? Are those plaits with rubberbands at the base?

"D"
    thanks amaralice! it will get there :wink:

sexycap (im a fellow cappy too!) these are boxbraids. now my aren't perfectly boxed off, but you get the idea

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FEmpressRi%2Fits-2008%21%21%21%2Fapril%21-yes-the-dan-%2Fcimg2702.html" class="Popup
    [/B]
  • Twingirl80Twingirl80 Posts: 23Registered Users
    Hey Shooting Star,

I had asked in the 4b section how to do a braid out. I have never seen it but I have seen the twist out.

I was at work yesterday and saw on www.blackvoices.com, a link for a video from Youtube featured.

The lady in the video made it look easy and she only used V05 for a co-wash and she used Jane Carter moisturizer, I believe.

Here are the links to the video, if interested:

Part I
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgoZWRrRBxhg" class="Popup

Part II
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9Gy0meC51rA" class="Popup
    Kinky 4a/4b
    Last relaxer Dec. 07;
    Transitioned Feb. 08-July 08, BC in July 08.

Hair style: Sisterlocks - October 2009
    I am no longer wearing my loose natural hair.
    You may still contact me with questions regarding transitioning and natural hair.

Recommended Reads:
    Hair Story : Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America by Ayana Byrd and Lori L. Tharps (Must Read)

That Hair Thing: And the Sisterlocks Approach by JoAnne Cornwell
  • keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
    You'll probably need a heavier product for 4b hair. She's relaxed in that video.

Have you tried the Sheamoisture Shea Butter Leave-in mixed with your favorite gel? For all of my braidouts (for the most part) I used my fav leave-in at the time and then AOMM hair jelly. Aloe vera gel works pretty well also. I would suggest smoothing the hair with a rat tail comb or denman if you want a really smooth braidout and allow it to COMPLETELY dry.
    Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
    Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
    DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado
  • Twingirl80Twingirl80 Posts: 23Registered Users
    You'll probably need a heavier product for 4b hair. She's relaxed in that video.

Have you tried the Sheamoisture Shea Butter Leave-in mixed with your favorite gel? For all of my braidouts (for the most part) I used my fav leave-in at the time and then AOMM hair jelly. Aloe vera gel works pretty well also. I would suggest smoothing the hair with a rat tail comb or denman if you want a really smooth braidout and allow it to COMPLETELY dry.

Your're right, the lady in the video hair is relaxed. She did say that she was 9 months post relaxer, I believe.

I have read about aloe vera gel and I am doing the BC tomorrow. I will try some of the AVG. It will be a while before I can do a braid out. I am searching ahead of time for styles that I might like.

I purchased the "Desiree" wig from www.especiallyyours.com I received it this week and I think it is cute, it's a curly, kinky wig. Thanks for your advice, Keep.
    Kinky 4a/4b
    Last relaxer Dec. 07;
    Transitioned Feb. 08-July 08, BC in July 08.

Hair style: Sisterlocks - October 2009
    I am no longer wearing my loose natural hair.
    You may still contact me with questions regarding transitioning and natural hair.

Recommended Reads:
    Hair Story : Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America by Ayana Byrd and Lori L. Tharps (Must Read)

That Hair Thing: And the Sisterlocks Approach by JoAnne Cornwell