I need veggies!

lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
---

Comments

• cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Happy beans? (translation my 2 yr old's name for green beans)
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    Broccoli, maybe? Does that count as leafy? I love the taste of it. You could sauté it, and that tastes amazing.

Maybe add a little bit of butter to the tops of your broccoli if you don't want to sauté, and a little pepper.

Okay, can't think of anything else. Will get back to you later.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Cut up anything. Toss with olive oil and salt. Toss onto pan (I like to line with foil because I am laziest cook ever). Cook at 400 till it's a texture you like. Eat!

Even my kid will eat pretty much any vegetable prepared this way - and I go very light on the olive oil and salt.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    ---
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cucumbers.. low cal, mild flavor, lots of water.

If you like you can make a yogurt dip with them. Just take some plain yogurt, add dill, a bit of salt and pepper, maybe a teaspoon of olive oil and that's it. You have a healthy dressing that's still creamy.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Summer squash, yellow and zucchini. And winter squash -- many stores have it already cubed if you don't want to attack those hard shells. Grape tomatoes (which don't have salmonella). Asparagus isn't hard to cook -- try just cutting it into 1-inch pieces and boiling or steaming for about 8 minutes. You don't have to cook the stalks whole, which is a bit trickier.

If you like brussels sprouts, I'm sure you like broccoli and cauliflower -- if you can have them occasionally, they're very healthy, so keep the Beano handy.

Frozen sugar peas are available year round. I think some kinds of frozen corn are nearly as good as on-the-cob. I also like some Asian-type assortments of frozen veggies, for variety.

Radishes? How about bean sprouts? It's easy to sprout your own from mung beans.

Can you eat romaine lettuce? Arugula? I think those are supposed to be OK for people on blood thinners.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Can you not have any leafy green veggies at all or just really small quantities?

Snow peas
    Peppers
    Asparagus can be eaten raw
    jicama (not sure if this is a fruit or veggie but good for you)
    cabbage
    radish
    green onions
    Squash
    Salsa
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    ---
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    Okay, I may sound a little harsh here, but there seems to be a big trend in all of your posts that I want to address for a second. I'm saying this because I know you've been struggling a lot lately and maybe this hasn't occurred to you. I just wanted to preface this by saying I'm saying this because you seem like such a wonderful person and I want to help, not because I am being a beeyotch, okay? (And because I often have these sorts of tendencies, but I have tried very hard to recognize them in myself and nip them in the bud. So I guess I may be more sensitive to picking them up in your posts!)

Here goes: it seems like you have a tendency to mentally make up a very long list of why you CAN'T do something before you try to do it. And I think this negative thinking really limits your options and your chances at success. If you go into something thinking "I am supposed to do this, but it's going to be really difficult because x, y, z," it's much more likely that you are going to give up than succeed.

Eating veggies that you don't think you like or don't think you know how to cook might be a good start at trying new things and trying to have a positive attitude toward change. Instead of thinking "here are all the veggies I can't eat, don't like, or don't know how to prepare," think about how this opens you up to trying new things. Who knows - you might find that you LOVE carrots without any salt once you eat them like that for a few days. Or that you really don't suck at stir-frying, but you just were using too high of heat.

*hugs*
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Lazyloops, I found a good explanation of the vitamin K issue -- the thing is to try to keep the level of Vitamin K in your diet steady so as not to affect the clotting. This link tells you which foods have Vitamin K and how much -- be sure to click on "How to get a steady amount of Vitamin K." Some of the vegetables you like may not be off limits as long as you eat them regularly. (I would check with your doctor first, though, because he/she might want to adjust your dose of anticoagulants.)

http://health.med.umich.edu/healthcontent.cfm?xyzpdqabc=0&id=6&action=detail&AEProductID=HW_Knowledgebase&AEArticleID=tb1790&AEArticleType=Major
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Suzen, I think you forgot the link.

LL, how about yellow, orange or red sweet bell peppers? I like to slice them and dip in ranch salad dressing.

I second the cucumbers, and if you don't like the seeds, cut the cucumber into strips then it's easier to slice the seeds out. Some grocery stores carry seedles cucumbers (I think they're sometimes called English cucumbers). They're more expensive, but a little firmer.

Pickles?

Go with the sugar snap peas!

Grape and cherry tomatoes were safe, and great for dipping.

You could make up a small tray of dipping veges for yourself and have a variety so the tomatoes and peppers don't have much chance to harm your cheeks.

Also agreeing with the summer squash. I like to slice zucchinis and yellow squash into 1" chunks, add in peppers cut similarly (any color bell peppers), put them in a huge square of foil, cover with some olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasonings (oregano is my favorite) and a bit of onion powder, fold up tight and put on a grill, indirect heat, for 20 minutes. Potatoes go in a separate foil pack for about 40 min. yum.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte

LL, how about yellow, orange or red sweet bell peppers? I like to slice them and dip in ranch salad dressing.

I second the cucumbers, and if you don't like the seeds, cut the cucumber into strips then it's easier to slice the seeds out. Some grocery stores carry seedles cucumbers (I think they're sometimes called English cucumbers). They're more expensive, but a little firmer.

Pickles

Also agreeing with the summer squash. I like to slice zucchinis and yellow squash into 1" chunks, add in peppers cut similarly (any color bell peppers), put them in a huge square of foil, cover with some olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasonings (oregano is my favorite) and a bit of onion powder, fold up tight and put on a grill, indirect heat, for 20 minutes. Potatoes go in a separate foil pack for about 40 min. yum.

I was just about to add peppers to the list! I love red bell peppers. I eat them both raw and cooked.

For lunch today I sauted some english cucumber and yellow squash (my fave) in a little olive oil. Then I salted it a little before I ate it.

Do you like onion? I love red onion raw, and every other onion I eat "cooked down" so that it gets really soft and sweet. I can eat that all day because I've got a sweet tooth too!

I eat most veggies except brussell sprouts. I think that if you honestly don't like something why force yourself to eat it? But then trying new things, or trying things a different way is good.

I bet you 5 years ago, if someone told me to eat eggplant, I would've laughed at them. Now I LOVE eggplant.

I agree with Badger that it sounds like you've got a really defeatist attitude towards vegetables. Just try out some recipes that include ones you've never tried or liked before and experiment.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I've found that I like just about any vegetable if it's cut in long thin stick. Like if you put it through a mandolin (which I don't have).

I love carrots shredded like this. Even beets, when cut like this, are good and I'm not a big fan of beets (except I love pickled beets).

If you can get frozen shelled edamame, they're really not a hassle to prepare...just boil 'em up.

Slightly thawed frozen peas (not cooked) are good.

Then there are always vegetable juices.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
    lazy loops wrote: »

Radishes are good with salt, but they bother my mouth after a while, in a rash-like way. Small amounts are OK.

The docs have said any lettuce & leafy veggies in large quantities is off limits. I can have them occasionally, just not daily, maybe only once a week. :dontknow:

Peppers are crisp & sweet, & I really like them, yet after a while they bother my mouth, like the radishes. So I don't do peppers all that often or have that much of them. :(

Radishes could be eaten twice a week as well as the peppers so they don't bother your mouth.

Leafy greens can be eaten once a week...4 days to go!

Cucumbers, carrots (if you need to salt, use a good sea salt and then start to taper salt usage).

Asparagus, sugar snap peas, green beans, squash, onions, cabbage and broccoli round out the list.

What about nappa cabbage?

You could start with having two different veggies per day and increase on a weekly basis. :)
  • WispyWispy Posts: 8Registered Users
    Lazy Loops,

You really do need to be careful with Vitamin K while you're on a blood thinner, all vegetable likes and dislikes aside, and keep it at a consistent level.

When my father was on it, I had good luck with the Coumadin Cookbook...coumadin (aka warfarin) being the name of his blood thinning medication.

Just a thought...

Website is www.coumadincookbook.com and it is available through Barnes & Noble.
    Forgot to mention:

you could buy a frozen mushroom/green bean/squash veggie mix since you prefer cooked mushrooms.

i buy a yummy chinese veggie mix of green beans, carrots, onions, sprouts and broccoli...very good cooked in a touch of butter.
    ---
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    I'm negative in all my posts, whether I started the post or just replied to it? In EVERY post? Naw. I don't believe it. Really? :?

Yes I may be having some difficulties, but I'd like to (& have been trying to) keep some personal aspects out of the public eye.

I'm sorry, I totally mispoke there. I meant I have noticed it in some of your posts - I did not meant to type "all." The posts I really meant are the ones you start where you're looking for advice about something and you start it out with a bunch of negative things about what you're asking for advice about.

If you go back and re-read your post, there are a ton of negatives there. I totally understand that you have some foods you really can't eat for medical reasons (you definitely don't want to mess up your Vitamin K levels or have a raw, itchy mouth!), but even for a lot of veggies that aren't on the list of things you shouldn't eat you had something negative to say about them.

Basically, I picked up on it because I am a lot like that and I have to try hard not to be negative when I try to change or start something new. But since I have been more open-minded and optimistic about certain things (for me: losing weight, eating healthier, exercising, and studying), I have been doing a lot better. If I start with the thought that it's an opportunity to try new things and succeed at them rather than an opportunity for failure (because I always have a list of can'ts and don'ts)

I didn't mean it as a criticism or to put you on the defensive and I am sorry if it felt like it was to you! I did not mean it that way at all, and I hope I have not upset you!

ETA something actually useful to the thread:

I don't have a wok, peanut oil, fancy utensils, or even very good cooking skills but I can make a fierce stir fry. It's actually really easy - they just try to make it look hard on TV because they want you to buy their cookbooks and cookware lines. :) I just put a little oil or cooking spray (like PAM) in a frying pan, heat it up a bit, throw in some chicken (or beef or tofu or whatever protein) and a ton of veggies. I cook it over medium heat until the chicken is cooked. Usually I add some soy sauce and spices, but sometimes I eat it plain because the veggies have a lot of flavor on their own.

Also another suggestion for eating veggies: shish kabobs! I just ate a HUGE plate of veggies because my bf and I made shish kabobs. I usually wouldn't eat them on their own, but when they're grilled up with some olive oil and some sea salt and pepper, they're like a treat!
  • zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Posts: 3,826Banned Users
    artichokes
    avocados
    hemp seeds
    a way to eat celery...do you like meatloaf? finely chop onion, celery and other veggies and mix into the meatloaf. yummy.
    ---
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users

I've just been in a veggie slump, a rut, eating the same stuff (usually canned & I recently switched to frozen) day in & day out it seems, & wanted to cut back on eating so much of the sweet stuff, being fruit carbs.

I can't speak to your medications or those sorts of health issues, but want to address the veggie slump thing.

Do you have access to farmers markets? Those are such excellent sources of better quality and better variety produce. Also will encourage you to eat seasonally which will have better flavor and nutrients, exposing you to different produce at different times of the year.

If you don't have access to farmer's markets, I would suggest monthly splurges at Whole Foods. It's pricey, but you will get better quality and variety there too.

If you like cookbooks, maybe check out some of the veggie oriented ones for more good ideas on preparation of veggies. The New York Times ran an article somewhat recently about best ways to cook vegetables that you may be able to find, or someone else might link.

Lastly, roasting vegetables is really easy and super delicious. You drizzle some olive oil on fresh cut up veggies (and/or spray a little olive oil on a foil lined pan underneath them) and then sprinkle on herbs of choice. Roast at 400-425 degrees for 15-25 minutes. Great way to use up vegetables that would otherwise go bad, and the leftovers will last you a full week usually. They are great by themselves or mixed in with other dishes and sandwiches.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    How does one eat an artichoke? I've only learned of pulling the leaf through semi-closed teeth, & I've only had artichokes once. I guess hubby, his family & my family don't like them.

Yes but you can dip them in delicious things first. Also, you may be missing the best part but it is kind of hard to get at. When most/all leaves are gone, get a spoon and scrape them off along with the fuzzy part (choke) that is in the middle of them. In there is the delicious heart which is kind of like all the tasty leaf parts but all in one huge convenient chunk. Feel free to add more delicious condiments; eat.
    I buy artichoke hearts in a jar. I like to add the whole jar to some boneless, skinless chicken breasts, add a little bit of milk plus a cap of lemon juice and simmer down to a gravy.

How about sweet potatoes? You can microwave them so they're 'baked' (but not too long, I carbonized one once) or peel and dice and sprinkle with olive oil and Italian spices and bake or grill on indirect heat.

How about eggplant? I haven't ever cooked one, but a friend of mine makes hers so yummy. I think she slices it up, soaks in salt water for a while to get rid of bitterness, then coats with bread crumbs and fries a little bit in oil. Oh, so good!

If you ever figure out how to cook asparagus (maybe steam?), try melting some parmesean cheese over them. I had that at a restaurant once and it sold me on that vege.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    zmanzzzz wrote: »
    artichokes
    avocados
    hemp seeds

But none of these are veggies! :)

BTW - I love hemp seeds on salads - yum!
    Wait, artichokes aren't? How so?
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    Wait, artichokes aren't? How so?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artichoke

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Artichoke

The second link calls it a vegetable. It's an edible flower, so that would qualify as a vegetable, like broccoli and cauliflower.
    Oh, just thought of my favorite way to eat peas!

Snapea Crisps! They taste similar to a Cheeto, but much more nutritious. Be careful, they are so addicting! I find mine in the produce section with other salad stuffs.
    Omg, and wasabi peas. Watch out for wasabi pea brain, it's like the opposite of brain freeze.
    ---

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file