Anyone else want to "detox" your hair?

I'm really thinking of trying this, but I have no idea what to expect. I don't color, so I have that in my favor, but I do have thyroid issues and my hair is fairly dry and brittle these days. But, anyway...take a look and let me know if you're interested! :toothy7:

Hair Products are here
Info about Detox is here

I called to ask about conditioners and styling and they said most of the conditioners are in the essential oils, but said a little bit of body cream could be used for more control or conditioning if needed.
2B ~ Lovin' it short again!
Aloe 80 Shampoo & Conditioner, Shea Butter & Aveda Control Paste
Fotki PW: swirlygirl
Updated 7/13/08

Comments

• pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    Well, I don't know if my hair needs detoxing, or even if you can detox hair, BUT I am willing to give it a try!

I ordered the Lemon shampoo and a trial size of the cocoa butter oil in case my hair needs conditioner.

I am going to try just putting aloe vera in my hair or shea butter during the detox.

Is the idea that a person would continue to use the detox shampoo or that it would be used maybe three or four times a year?
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    Ooo, those sound good! I will probably get some when all these awful wildfires in Cali stop.
    http://public.fotki.com/TLGuerrero/

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz
  • swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 606Registered Users
    Well, I don't know if my hair needs detoxing, or even if you can detox hair, BUT I am willing to give it a try!

I ordered the Lemon shampoo and a trial size of the cocoa butter oil in case my hair needs conditioner.

I am going to try just putting aloe vera in my hair or shea butter during the detox.

Is the idea that a person would continue to use the detox shampoo or that it would be used maybe three or four times a year?

I think the idea is to keep using the shampoo all the time, but the detox is just the initial period where it's pulling all the gunk out. Ideally we won't want to put it back in. :wink:

I'm going to place my order tonight after my kids are in bed and I can check out all the products. I know I'm going to do the Lavender hair wash and maybe a trial of the spice, which she said is heavy on the patchouli smell. (will remind me of college daze :laughing7:)

I might try the skin care and will order the cocoa butter or one of the other oils/butters for extra conditioning, too.
    Updated 7/13/08

• marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    Hafta let us know what you think. I love essential oil smells! My Dad used to wear patchouli in high school I heard!:wink:
    http://public.fotki.com/TLGuerrero/

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz
    Okay, I placed my order. As with everything else, I've probably way overdone it. :wink: I ordered the 8 oz. Lavender hair wash and trials of a bunch of other stuff.

I have a feeling I'll have less curl and more wave, especially at the beginning, but we'll see. :blob7:
    Updated 7/13/08

Just got my Terressentials order, so of course had to try it right off. Since I had just finished a shower after gardening all day, I decided to put it in as a mask for an hour. It is sitting on my hair now. Smells nice. Very thick. Not sure I distributed it well, but I scrunched in as well as I could.

I have the Left Coast Lemon.

Will post later once I rinse and see how it went.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Just got my Terressentials order, so of course had to try it right off. Since I had just finished a shower after gardening all day, I decided to put it in as a mask for an hour. It is sitting on my hair now. Smells nice. Very thick. Not sure I distributed it well, but I scrunched in as well as I could.

I have the Left Coast Lemon.

Will post later once I rinse and see how it went.

I'm so excited to hear what you think! My order just shipped today. They were out of the Lavender hair wash, so my shipment was delayed. It is supposed to be here Thursday. :blob7:
    Updated 7/13/08

Ok, so I left it on as a mask for an hour, then rinsed it out and washed with it two more times. Then rinsed and put in about 2 or 3 tsp of the cocoa butter oil to moisturize. I am plopping right now.

My hair certainly did not feel silky afterward!! It felt very full and I had a hard time raking through it, and normally that is not a problem. Now I am not surprised by this based on the info on the website, but you want to be careful when you use it to be super gentle. My hair is fine and usually doesn't tangle too much if I keep it conditioned but it was very hard to rake the oil in so I just did my best and then scrunched.

If I had coarse or super thick hair, I don't know how easy this would be.

Now when I finished scrunching my hair before the plop, it coiled up about an extra inch. Will be interested to see if it stays that way!

This is really interesting. Hope you get yours soon.
    CG since '08.

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Avidly watching this thread. Keep us posted!
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008

If I had coarse or super thick hair, I don't know how easy this would be.

I remember reading in their FAQs that people with thick or long hair might need to add water to distribute the wash. They just said to mix it in your hand or something else and NOT to add water to the original bottle.

I will be stalking my UPS man on Thursday, my expected delivery date. :laughing7:
    Updated 7/13/08

So I am going to wait to use the mask later today since it is going to be hot and my hair looks pretty good right now. My hair feels full and the curl pattern is still stronger than normal. I have quite a bit of volume for only having cocoa butter oil in my hair!
    Second day hair! This might be a miracle product!
    CG since '08.

Ok, so when I shampoo my hair later today I would like to put some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] in my hair since it is so humid. I think this would be ok for the detox since it is all natural. I was thinking of putting cocoa butter oil as a leave-in then the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] on top.
    What do you think? Will it mess up the detox?
    CG since '08.

Ok, so when I shampoo my hair later today I would like to put some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] in my hair since it is so humid. I think this would be ok for the detox since it is all natural. I was thinking of putting cocoa butter oil as a leave-in then the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] on top.
    What do you think? Will it mess up the detox?

Grrr...I had a long reply all typed and my computer lost it. :angry7:

I agree that the CC is probably okay - I was actually thinking the same thing. I don't think the KT would be (because of the alcohol), but the CC seems safe without alcohols, proteins, polymers, etc. I guess we could always call and ask them. I also think JC Nourish & Shine will be safe, but it's probably pretty close to the cocoa butter.

So have you tried it? How's your hair?
    Updated 7/13/08

Haven't tried it yet. Trying to get all my outside work done this morning so I don't have to go out in the heat. It is going to be about 90 here with 70% humidity.
    Will probably fix up my hair after lunch. Will post back.
    I am going to try the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] on top of the cocoa butter oil. There is nothing in [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] that would cause problems based on all the reading I did on the site. Looks like I should avoid silk proteins and other types of proteins that may be in other natural hair products.
    Honestly, if I had to go without some sort of gel on top of the cocoa butter oil, it would be ok. But that is after the first day, maybe today my hair will behave differently.
    Can I do an ACV rinse? It looks like it is part of the pre-detox protocol so there should be no reason that I can't do it. (I think.)
    I hope you get yours soon!!!:blob7:
    CG since '08.

I hope you get yours soon!!!:blob7:

Me too, supposed to be Thursday!!

Where are you? I'm in Dallas - 86 degrees, dewpoint of 69, humidity 57. Lucky for me I like my hair in humid weather. I have very little curl when I go home to see my parents in Idaho (high desert).
    Updated 7/13/08

I am in Northern Maine, by the Canadian border. My hair curls better in the humidity but then starts to frizz.

Ok, so I did the second day of detox wash and my hair feels the same -- thicker and curlier. It was a bit easier to rake my hands through my hair by the 3rd washing. I put the cocoa butter oil in and then a bit of the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] but not sure I needed the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. My hair was behaving pretty well on its own so I will probably just go with only the oil for the rest of the detox.
    If my curl pattern continues to tighten up as I go on in the detox, I would buy more of this wash.

I would like to know what types of conditioners we could use other than the oils. I have some MyHoneyChild coming in so I can try that. It is all natural and perhaps I can use that after the detox.

Did you order any of their other products? I am thinking about trying the skincare samples.
    CG since '08.

Did you order any of their other products? I am thinking about trying the skincare samples.

Your experience sounds good so far! I am planning to try natural conditioners like oil, honey, etc. I actually haven't used a conditioner in my hair since 6/30, but I slathered it in coconut oil the other day and it's still a little oily from that.

I did order a ton of products - skin care samples, deodorant, a sample of the spice hair wash and samples of the oils and butters. I thought about the baby stuff, but I think I skipped it.

Okay, I'll report Thurs or Friday!
    Updated 7/13/08

• misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    This hair detox is very interesting. I just printed out the faq on the method so I can stretch out on the sofa and read all about it.

Thanks for enlightening us! :toothy7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ok, so I did more reading on the detox and it looks like I am NOT supposed to use any other company's products during the detox. I would think after the detox, if I stay with natural products, I will be fine.
    I SO want to put some SheaM and BRHG in my hair to define my curls. Without product I am curlier than normal but due to the humidity I have lots of frizz and pouffy-ness.

Tomorrow I am going to try an ACV rinse since that is allowed.
    CG since '08.

So today my hair is still feeling a bit sticky. Probably the closest thing I can compare it to is when you are on third day hair and your hair feels product-y. But it is feeling softer than it did on day one.

Today I did an ACV rinse after I washed and only put a tiny bit of cocoa butter on my ends when I scrunched after diffusing a bit to go to the grocery store. I think the ACV rinse helps so would recommend that. Maybe a really mild ACV daily.

My hair is softer but lacks definition so I just put it in snap clips behind my ears so I don't mess with it. That is the hardest thing -- I SO want to put SheaM and some gel in my hair. So I use the downstairs shower that doesn't have my hair products in it so I don't give in to temptation.
    CG since '08.

That is the hardest thing -- I SO want to put SheaM and some gel in my hair. So I use the downstairs shower that doesn't have my hair products in it so I don't give in to temptation.

:laughing7::laughing7: I decided today to use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] and CC since my stuff is supposed to be here tomorrow. I still think a little [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] wouldn't be much of a problem, but who knows.

If you decide to stick with this after the detox period, how will you decide when the detox is over? Are you going by a timeline or when it stops feeling so sticky?
    Updated 7/13/08

iwantcurls and pigreyhound, please continue posting on your progress.:) I have scoured the Terressentials site and reading your posts has me more intrigued by the minute!! I am so close to ordering the hair wash and cocoa butter oil.

I have a couple of questions. When you are finished with the detox period, how often would you use the hair wash? Would I still be able to use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink] occasionally, or do I need to stick with straight butters or oils?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I would think that using the KC products wouldn't be a problem outside of the detox period.
    I am going to finish the full week for the detox and see how my hair feels. I am likely to need another detox since I am in the middle of transitioning to grey hair and I have heavy highlights put in to break up the white line of my regrowth. I have a hair appointment for the next level of highlights/lowlights on Tuesday. Depending on what my stylist says, I may just have her cut off a few inches. (I hate to,but it may be best.) But I just can't go without having this transition/chemical process completed so I know it seems counterproductive but I don't know what else to do.

So my plan is to keep up the detox until Saturday when we leave for the coast for vacation. I am going to bring the clay cleanser with me so if I need to clean my hair from salt, etc, I will use that. I am going to start using hair products but all natural ones only. Probably start detox again when I get home. I ordered another bottle of the Terressentials cleanser.
    I am telling you, the hardest thing is not putting product in there!!!! :sad8:
    CG since '08.

misspam wrote: »

I have a couple of questions. When you are finished with the detox period, how often would you use the hair wash? Would I still be able to use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink] occasionally, or do I need to stick with straight butters or oils?

I think the idea is to use all natural products so you don't build up unwanted chemicals in your hair. However, it sounds like none of us chatting about this use the really nasty stuff like silicones, etc, so I would think there would be very little bad stuff for the cleanser to remove if we only use natural products. I would use the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink] after the detox period. I ordered some MyHoneyChild products and I am going to see how those work out. I think the only thing I own that would probably be full of chemicals would be my beloved BRHG.
    CG since '08.

I think the idea is to use all natural products so you don't build up unwanted chemicals in your hair. However, it sounds like none of us chatting about this use the really nasty stuff like silicones, etc, so I would think there would be very little bad stuff for the cleanser to remove if we only use natural products. I would use the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink] after the detox period. I ordered some MyHoneyChild products and I am going to see how those work out. I think the only thing I own that would probably be full of chemicals would be my beloved BRHG.

I am all for using natural products on my face as well as my hair. I avoid all cones and have only used a sulfate once since January to remove build up from polyquats. That experience opened my eyes to a less is more philosophy. When I pile on the wrong conditioner, leave ins and hard crunchy gels, my "real" hair doesn't have a chance to show itself, if that makes any sense. I prefer having touchably soft, bouncy hair to a more rigid, unnatural curl pattern encouraged by piling on too many products. I would gladly give up some definition for softness anyday!:)

I did receive some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] in a swap and used that today with very good results. I think using this after the detox period would be fine as I don't see anything unnatural in it.

hee hee, I feel your pain with BRHG. If I end up ordering and liking the Terressentials products, I will have 5 bottles of BRHG up on the swap board!!. lol Again, I have been enjoying both yours and iwantcurls progress reports so much, I am sure I will place my order by the end of the week.

What MHC do you have coming? I love the Type 2 Hair Creme. Today I used that over a pea size of WDT and under [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. Nice, soft and curly. :toothy7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I think I have [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/MYHoneyChild-HoneyNutt-Conditioner-p-432.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=MYHoneyChild-HoneyNutt-Conditioner]HoneyNutt conditioner[/buylink] and shampoo combo, Almond Hair Milk, and Type 3 Hair cream coming. All sample sizes.
    I prefer all natural products myself, but am on the hunt for a natural strong hold gel like BRHG. Honestly, I don't know if I can give it up!!!

I can't wait for iwantcurls to get her Terressentials so we can see what happens to her hair!!
    CG since '08.

I've heard good things about the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/MYHoneyChild-HoneyNutt-Conditioner-p-432.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=MYHoneyChild-HoneyNutt-Conditioner]HoneyNutt conditioner[/buylink]. Let me know how you like it. I originally ordered the Type 2/[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/MYHoneyChild-Type-3-Hair-Creme-p-343.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=myhoneychild-type-3-hair-creme]Type 3 hair creme[/buylink] combo pack. I thought the type 3 was too heavy for my hair, and I ended up putting it on the swap board.:sad8: (second thoughts here...) It really is wonderful stuff and I'm sure you'll like it. I don't think I gave it a fair shake. I often think there are too many variables on any given day that unless I jot down what I use each time, I can't keep it all straight! :laughing7:

Waiting for iwantcurls to get her products is like waiting for Christmas!!!:icescream:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I prefer having touchably soft, bouncy hair to a more rigid, unnatural curl pattern encouraged by piling on too many products. I would gladly give up some definition for softness anyday!:)

I did receive some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] in a swap and used that today with very good results. I think using this after the detox period would be fine as I don't see anything unnatural in it.

hee hee, I feel your pain with BRHG. If I end up ordering and liking the Terressentials products, I will have 5 bottles of BRHG up on the swap board!!. lol Again, I have been enjoying both yours and iwantcurls progress reports so much, I am sure I will place my order by the end of the week.

I agree with the softness over untouchable curls. As my hair is getting longer I am really enjoying touchign it a lot, so I think I'll go for healthy, shiny waves versus untouchable curls.

I plan to use the wash everyday unless it doesn't work out with my hair. I also think the WDT is probably okay. And, like both of you, I have the BRHG which is definitely not compatible. :thumbdown:

misspam, love to have you join us. :blob7:
    Updated 7/13/08

Waiting for iwantcurls to get her products is like waiting for Christmas!!!:icescream:

No kidding! Thanks for sharing in my anticipation! :occasion9:
    Updated 7/13/08

IWantCurls wrote: »

No kidding! Thanks for sharing in my anticipation! :occasion9:

:toothy7: I have been living vicariously through you two since I first spotted this thread that I am happy to jump on the bandwagon - thanks for having me!

btw....Do you plan on using a stun gun or just a giant net for your mail carrier?!? :laughing7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file