Why are guys so mean?

erikaxelectrik7erikaxelectrik7 Registered Users Posts: 90
Today, I was walking through the mall with my younger sister(both wearing our hair curly/natural) and some guy and his friends came up to us while we were looking at hair products and said "Do you brush your hair?!" I told him that you're not supposed to brush curly hair because it makes it frizzy and he just said "Well I don't like girls with curly hair, it makes them look like they don't take care of themselves and like they don't try to look good..." And he said this in front of my sister...who is only eleven years old...and that really pissed me off. She told me later that she felt ugly and that she wished she could be white and have hair that guys liked, like the white girls. GRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• TadazzlecurlzTadazzlecurlz Registered Users Posts: 37
    hmmm jerk!! i would have asked him and his friends what they know about looking good. But dont mind them, they are clueless most boys are :laughing7: and just remind your sister that the fact that she is not like everybody else is what makes her beautiful and unique and she is blessed
    3b/3c Curls lookin for some lovin!!

comic-p.jpg

Check out my blog....Under Construction BIG TIME ;-)
    http://tadazzle.blogspot.com/
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    People talk about how mean girls are, but boys are just as bad.

You poor little sister! I want to smack these boys for her.

*sigh*

All you can do is to tell her that is beautiful as she is. She doe snot need to look white or have straight hair to be gorgeous.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • TK*TK* Registered Users Posts: 885
    Teenage boys are stupid by default and half the time they don't even know what they're talking about. They probably read those "100 sexiest women" lists on the internet to tell them what's supposed to be "hot" to them anyways. You should tell your sister that. :wink:

Oh and...maybe they spoke to you to begin with because they thought you were cute. (Boys have this habit of saying the opposite of what they mean when they like a girl...go figure) In one ear and out the other. Tell your sister she's beautiful!
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • Shooting StarShooting Star Registered Users Posts: 167
    That was so mean of them to come up to you two and say that.

That is just so stupid. OMG! I probably would have smacked them or cursed them out.

You set a good example for your sister by explaining to those boys what is good for curly hair. I'm proud of you for doing that. Try to keep being a good example for her and she will learn to love herself. It's not always about what boys say, sometimes girls can learn to be confident by watching women closer to them be confident in themselves.
    I Love Epic Men...
    RacerX.jpg
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Those boys are so ignorant! It's none of their business what you do with your hair or how you wear it. Incredibly nervy and aggressive. I feel badly for both you and your sister.

They aren't worth spit. They probably all have tiny penises and dandruff. Apologies if I'm offending anyone.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • RawrSallyRawrSally Registered Users Posts: 1,388
    If one of those guys had said that to me, I would have made him regret it.
    And I'm so sorry that those guys were so rude to you and your sister.
    There are a lot of guys that do like curly hair, ignore the jerks that don't.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    TK* wrote: »
    Oh and...maybe they spoke to you to begin with because they thought you were cute. (Boys have this habit of saying the opposite of what they mean when they like a girl...go figure) In one ear and out the other. Tell your sister she's beautiful!

I have to agree with this. Teenage boys have a habit of *picking* on girls that they like or think are cute. And because they are not yet smart enough to have better come-on lines, they decided to go for the hair, because you were looking at hair stuff.

It is also normal for 11 yr old girls to feel ugly, it's part of the whole puberty thing... to the right guy she'll be beautiful no matter how she looks... But, it's hard for to explain that to an 11 yr old with the media today. Just do what everyone else says and tell her that she's beautiful.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Registered Users Posts: 6,252 Curl Neophyte
    Next time someone insults you like that either give them that look like "what the hell are you talking about" look them up and down and then shake your head and turn around. Or just start laughing at them, trust me either of those will make those people feel stupid for even having approached you.
  • jazzi erika jazzi erika Registered Users Posts: 14
    Those boys suck lets all get together and smack them! :laughing7: that would be fun :D
  • lioneselionese Registered Users Posts: 140 Curl Neophyte
    I'm so sorry that happened to you and your sister. I wonder all the time why people in general seem meaner now. The only thing I've come up with is they're hurting other people because somebody's hurting them. Doesn't excuse their actions, just explains it. It didn't have anything to do with how your hair looked or what you were wearing or anything else about you. You were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Be thankful you and your sister aren't like them and that you are both beautiful, loving people. God knows we need more like you two in the world and less mean people like those boys.
  • toothfairytoothfairy Registered Users Posts: 242
    I would've said "I don't know why you're assuming I'd care what someone like you thinks"

11 is a tough age. what people say hurts because you haven't had the chance to know and accept yourself..to develop the attitude of "I am who I am and if you don't like it, go away." but some people never develop that anyway.
  • boarderhopperboarderhopper Banned Banned Users Posts: 295
    Don't blame this on just guys. Everyone who's ever told me my hair was ugly was a girl. Back in junior high this one girl told me that i had gorilla hair and she threw things in it. yeah girls = not nice too.
  • thebaydestrianthebaydestrian Registered Users Posts: 45 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, I gotta agree with boarderhopper. Granted every lady on this site is cool...
    but at my university....holy shizznacles, EVERY SINGLE ONE of my friends that are girls are always like "omg, you should comb your hair. omg, don't grow your hair out...it looks too "messy". omg, do this/that."
    it's a 2-way road ladies.
    There shall be enough haterade for all :tongue5:. haha
    3A (my hair is pretty darn short now though)

I shampoo every 3 days, condition everyday, and co-wash with Suave Naturals Coconut once in every 3 day shampooing cycle. I also use BioInfusions, the Leave-In Conditioner everyday.

Also, I am a guy :blob7:.
  • curlygurneycurlygurney Registered Users Posts: 116
    Ouch that is so terrible to hear.

I guess there was a time where I didn't like curly hair either--and I have it! I was young and just wanted to 'fit in' instead of embracing the fact I was different. Luckily with time and maturity I feel completely different now.

We all have our opinion--he doesn't like curly hair, and I don't like jerks!
    Hair Type: 3b with a little 3a mixed in
    Stylist: Annah at Phia Salon in Columbus, OH
    Shampoo: I rarely use but when I do it is Abba True Shine
    Conditioner: ABBA Creme Masque
    Leave in: A dime size of ABBA Creme Masque
    Style product fall/winter: Two squirts of Jesse Curl Confidient Coils and one two finger scoop of pink boots
    Style product spring/summer: KCCC and CK
    http://public.fotki.com/curlygurney/
    password: easy123
  • PT_CudaPT_Cuda Registered Users Posts: 329
    Tell your little sister those are the creeps you do NOT want to date when you are older..

And when she feels ugly, she can always do something about it, but stupid is forever!! And those dudes were stupid!!!!!!!!
  • Paul TownsendPaul Townsend Registered Users Posts: 56
    That's disgusting - what a thing to say in front of a sweet, innocent child.

As a curly guy myself I can assure you that we're not all like that.
  • PHAYNESPHAYNES Registered Users Posts: 1
    Younger guys and girls tend to be very insecure, thats usually why they are mean like that. When they get older they will most likely decide there are all different types of beautiful. Your sister will to. I was very insecure in high school and now I proudly wear curls and freckles. The boys that grew up, when they see me again usually like them to. Ahh teenage angst. :wink:
  • MintMint Registered Users Posts: 1,143 Curl Neophyte
    People in general can be mean. It's awful and often makes me want to tear my hair out. :thumbdown: Those guys probably wanted to look "cool" or something (some teenage guys think it's "cool" to shoplift too. blech.).

Also, I personally think curls look classy and clean, not unkempt. Your hair is beautiful. Don't let anyone else make you think the opposite.
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • tulipantulipan Registered Users Posts: 209 Curl Neophyte
    Today, I was walking through the mall with my younger sister(both wearing our hair curly/natural) and some guy and his friends came up to us while we were looking at hair products and said "Do you brush your hair?!" I told him that you're not supposed to brush curly hair because it makes it frizzy and he just said "Well I don't like girls with curly hair, it makes them look like they don't take care of themselves and like they don't try to look good..." And he said this in front of my sister...who is only eleven years old...and that really pissed me off. She told me later that she felt ugly and that she wished she could be white and have hair that guys liked, like the white girls. GRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry for you and your little sister! I hope that you will show her naturallycurly - when she will see she's not the only one and that man who love curls exist, she's going to feel more confident about her curls. Maybe ask her to put here photos - we are going to tell her how beautiful her hair is!!!!:nike:

You can also tell her - from the white girl - that whites love curls!!! When I was 15 and didn't know how to care about curls girls called me witch. Boys liked my hair even when they were messy. When I was 17 girls from my class told me to straight my hair - and I did it. But they were just jeallous. When I came back to my naturally curly - I heard only compliments. Sometimes:"ehh...grrr...you lookin f**** good in this hair, you stupid lucky", but it still were compliments. And BELIEVE me it's not depend of my hair, because they're not as beautiful as many many curls I saw here. It is about whites that are usually straight or a little bit wavy. For big days - ceremonies like wedding or hundred days to graduated - they wearing curls! My friends and friends of my best friend who dont' like me were with me on the party and all were talking about curls, that curls are beautiful, that they always wanted to be curly, that they were thinking about perm. Somebody always had to add that "maybe not so little curls like yours, because your is very little, but something bigger" - but this still were compliments! They saw me and started talking so my curls were the reason why they said they wanted curls! I don't want everyone wanting my hair, because it's mine! But to being curly means to being beauty - in every language. Every homosecsual gay I knew was thinking that curls are synonime of being a woman, of feminine. I totally agree!!! I have to tell you, that in last few days I thought about afro - perm. Really. Because I'm looking with jeallousy at black woman with beautiful A LOT OF curls that started from the top of the head and are well defined. I've got pattern like 3B but with soft curls like 3A, so hope you understand why I would like this perm. Only reason I didn't go to hairdresser and didn't do it is that henna and perm don't work together and I want my hair to be healthy. But "HEALTHY" and "MORE CURLY" are fighting in me and who knows....
    Greetings for all beautiful curls in the world! Don't fall down because of stupid people!
    3A/M/iii
    -
    full CG routine works for my hair!

s-event.png

Sorry for my mistakes in english! This is not my main language. I'm still learning!
  • CurlyJoshuaCurlyJoshua Registered Users Posts: 49
    wow what a true a whole i would of told my little sis to kick him in the nuts thats terrible i have a little sister who is black shes my little baby sister
  • millie_(A)TCKmillie_(A)TCK Registered Users Posts: 404
    The nerve of guys like that who think women are supposed to revolve around their needs of us. :thumbdown:
    3c/4a. Very Fine and Thin.
    Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root butter creme, Curl Junkie, Abba Pure Gentle leave-in
    Styling Products: Curls Souffle, Curl Junkie Coffee Creme
    Curl Cremes: Jessicurl Confident Coils
    Conditioners: Deva Curl One, Mixed Chics DC, Nature's Gate Biotin
    DT:AO Honeysuckle Rose, Coconut oil.
  • BugEyeZBugEyeZ Registered Users Posts: 314 Curl Novice
    what a pig! you should have told him you like boys who know how to keep their mouths shut!
    when all else fails...eat:icescream:
  • SingingSongsSingingSongs Registered Users Posts: 42
    You should show your sister al celeb pics in curlpix and show her how many beautifull singers and acstresses thier are.My mom always told me i look exodic with my curls so that makes me feel better as if i have a beauty that some people just cant get but no its the curls

Remember curls rule that why theymade a site about it:wav::wav:
    black bouncy 3a/b curls... And thats all I got to say...
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Registered Users Posts: 4,162 Curl Connoisseur

You should have kicked him in the nuts.....lol. seriously i'm pissed that this happened to you and espically your little sister. Its hard enough being 11 but to then have to deal with some jerk that doesn't have anything better to do than to try and make fun of a stranger...urrrg!

I might have missed this...but i thought u were white (looking at your aviator u look white to me)? Are you and/or your sister mixed?
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • southrncurlssouthrncurls Registered Users Posts: 152
    I hate to say it but it's not just the young guys that are stupid. This guy at my work, he's close to fifty had the nerve to tell me "I like your hair straight, it looks better that way". What a jerk! Not that I really care any more what people think about me or my hair it just was really rude.

My curls are a present from God to be unique!:angel10:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B
    Beginner CG.
    Currently using; MOP C-System Hydrating Conditioner (once a week), Aloeba Conditioner,CHS Curl Keeper, Jessicurl RR and CCSS, KBB Hair Milk (Sometimes)
    Hopelessly Devoted to: My diffuser
    Northern New Jersey by way of the South.

"In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
  • CCsMamaCCsMama Registered Users Posts: 92
    As one of my favorite authors, Jill Connor Brown, is fond of saying, "men are igmos".

I am so sorry that they said something so mean, esp directing it at an 11 year old! That was really shady and totally unnecessary.

I bet if you could have found their mama and told them what they said, she would have slapped them so quickly it would have made their head spin. However, that may be a little vindictive.
    ~ Gracie ~
    Stay at home mama to CCB and a new one on the way in July!
    CG since Oct 13, 2008
    3a/bish
    currently re evaluating my product stash...
  • zanii0506zanii0506 Registered Users Posts: 176
    that's horrible!!! people don't realize how words can really damage and mold(or improve) a persons self esteem...
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,118
    Wow, can you say douchebags? Who even takes time out of their day to say things like that?

Maybe you can show your little sister this thread, so she can see how much people love curly hair!
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • drawmuhfreedrawmuhfree Registered Users Posts: 402
    This is upsetting to read, but unfortunately not uncommon. The hard thing to remember when being put on the spot like this is that this BOY is just one opinion. Everyone has different preferences, and although he was the one to voice his ignorant point of view, I am sure there are many MORE silent admirers!:love10:
    comic-p.jpg

"[My hair and I] are in an unhealthy relationship and I am the abuser."
    --MissKinkyCoily

http://public.fotki.com/drawmuhfree/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file