Here's what I've been busy doing

sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
Not having a baby....yet.... but sewing pocket diapers.

l_038f4f9d3a44e8aac291bac2c52068e4.jpg

I borrowed my sister's sewing machine and have been working on them the past week or so. I haven't sewed anything since home ec class in 8th grade, so I've been improving my skills, but I'm pretty happy overall with how they've turned out.

As for having the baby, I'm soooooo ready.

(Warning: upcoming TMI alert.)

I've been feeling a bit crampy, but no real contractions yet. Also, the past couple days, I've been losing pieces of mucous plug. I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but with DS, I went into labor very soon after losing the mucous plug, so I'm hopeful. I think I'll pack him up in the stroller this afternoon and go on a nice long walk, and see what happens. :binky:
ehLB.jpg

Comments

• Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Those diapers look awesome! And it sounds like you're getting close...can't wait to see pics of your new baby!
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    Awww, darling itty bitty diapers. Although I'll admit I thought you were going to post a birth announcement. ;)

Great job on mastering the PUL sewing.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Diapers look great, and I'm sending you some labor-vibes!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    Those look great!
    hello.world.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I just bought a sewing machine and you are inspiring me! Those diapers look great!

I hope your baby arrives soon! :)
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Thanks for the compliments! I'm still working on my sewing skills, but the dipes are definitely passable and functional.

It's nice having a project to keep me occupied so I don't dwell too much on waiting for the baby to come....still waiting, BTW. ;)

Marielle, you're the one who gave me the idea to sew diapers back on Pixie's cloth diaper thread. I'm so glad I tried, because it's not that hard, and so much cheaper than buying Fuzzi Bunz or whatever. I've been using the Mamabird pattern but I scaled it up a bit to make dipes for my 18-month-old. Do you find that it runs on the small side?
    ehLB.jpg
  • KaiaKaia Curl Connoisseur Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Where did you buy your supplies? I've been trying to find a place to buy PUL inexpensively.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Very cute diapers, Sarah!
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote: »
    Where did you buy your supplies? I've been trying to find a place to buy PUL inexpensively.

PUL seems to not be available at brick and mortar stores in general. I ended up using www.verybaby.com. There are also several vendors on Ebay that sell cloth diaper supplies slightly cheaper, but it ended up being cheaper for me shipping-wise at Very Baby to buy it all together. I've heard of cute prints for PUL, but I went with solids because (a) they're cheaper, and (b) I color-coded the sizes for DH's convenience. Yellow=small, green=medium, and blue=large.
    ehLB.jpg
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Those look great! Can you make me some (j/k?) That's a great idea - I'm going to try it, too.

Can't wait to hear about the new baby!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    I've never made her fitted pattern but if you're using her AIO pattern and turned and topstitched it you'd need to add more of a seam allowance for what you lose in turning the dipe.

However, since my oldest potty trained at his timeline I did make the large size with extended wings and I think I might have extended the rise as well to give plenty of grow room. They look so cute and I love your colors.

Plus you can spend all the bulk of your money on materials and still come out with an economical diaper because you donate your labor to yourself. Glad it helped.

LOL at the color coding but it's necessary especially with two in dipes. I use either different colored snaps or different colored PUL like you. Otherwise who knows what a kid getting changed in the middle of the night could end up wearing. You're so close to having the baby! Wishing you luck Sarah.
  • KaiaKaia Curl Connoisseur Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    sarah42 wrote: »
    Yellow=small, green=medium, and blue=large.

I see you're a Target shopper. ;)
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file