Talkative Co-Workers

trueladytruelady Posts: 139Registered Users

Comments

• merynmeryn Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'd probably treat it with a little humor.

Tell her you'll give her a dollar to not talk for one hour. Offer her some taffy or a jawbreaker when she gets annoying. You say she gives nicknames to everyone. Maybe fight fire with fire and start calling her "chatter-monkey". When she starts talking incessantly, say "ok, pipe down chatter-monkey" or "chatter-monkey... SHUSH!" Maybe that won't make her cry.

My SO when he gets diarreah of vocal chords, so I do some of the above. It makes him laugh (he's a sensitive soul too) and he realizes how annoying he's being.
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    "I'd like to talk (or love to if you're a good actor) but I've got to get this work done," and turn away. She'll get the message sooner or later.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I'd tune into my iPod for a little while to catch some relief :toothy7:
    2b/3a.
  • EliciaElicia Posts: 881Registered Users
    I am the chatty one at work. If you said to me "okay lets not talk for an hour and see how much we can get done" in a nice way I would totally get the hint. Sometimes we can't stop ourselves believe me you will be doing her a favor too.
    When I am working with those who talk more than I do I announce that am going to be anti-social for the day, so I could get my work done and wont get my butt fired- it works all the time. I actually said it today, while there was a virtual party going on near my desk. I got all my work done J
    :binky::roll::eye:
    national anthem for self-pity :binky:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zawR7VYNdNg
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Earplugs are your best friend.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Take some ideas from Strong Bad.
    ehLB.jpg
    Ha ha ha ha!
    2b/3a.
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    I would probably say "Don't you have work to do? Maybe you should ask boss/supervisor if they can find something for you to do." If they ignore this, then I would tell them I'm busy earning my paycheck.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
    I would probably say "Don't you have work to do? Maybe you should ask boss/supervisor if they can find something for you to do."

I would definitely do this while giggling so they wouldn't get upset.
    2b/3a.
  • trueladytruelady Posts: 139Registered Users
    meryn wrote: »

Tell her you'll give her a dollar to not talk for one hour. Offer her some taffy or a jawbreaker when she gets annoying. You say she gives nicknames to everyone. Maybe fight fire with fire and start calling her "chatter-monkey". When she starts talking incessantly, say "ok, pipe down chatter-monkey" or "chatter-monkey... SHUSH!" Maybe that won't make her cry.

My SO when he gets diarreah of vocal chords, so I do some of the above. It makes him laugh (he's a sensitive soul too) and he realizes how annoying he's being.

meryn,

I tried this and it worked. Thank you and everyone else for their advice. My work day is much better now.
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    truelady wrote: »
    meryn wrote: »

meryn,

I tried this and it worked. Thank you and everyone else for their advice. My work day is much better now.

good to hear! glad things worked out. :)
  • RichardHeadRichardHead Banned Posts: 629Banned Users
    I usually give them one word responses or none at all. Most of the time that solves the problem.
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    The dentist I work for just rented out one of his rooms to a massage therapist. He's on vacation this week, so she is talking my ear off. She doesn't shut up, even when I start reading a book. What makes it even worse, she keeps repeating the same stories over & over again. I guess she forgets she already told me. Plus she keeps bragging about how good she is & tries to sell me her products. She's not a coworker, so I'm trying to figure out how to deal with her. Maybe it will be better once the doctor gets back. I have a headache.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file