Can you get an IUD if you haven't had a child?

UsodaUsoda Posts: 918Registered Users
I'm just wondering, because it says on the Mirena website, it is a solution 'appropriate' for women with at least one child . . .I don't have any children but I'm considering the IUD . . .

Comments

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes you can. It may be more painful having it inserted though, since your cervix has never dialated before.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • curlygreekcurlygreek Posts: 231Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have a friend that just got Mirena, and she has had no children. Like Bailey said, it will be more painful and it a little harder to place b/c you have had no children. My friend had to have an ultra sound to confirm placement because of that fact. And she said it was NOT pleasant.
    "The crazy starts deep within and just comes spiraling out the top!" ~ best curly hair quote
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have no children and had one for 10 years. Insertion was NOT fun. I had it taken out when I was getting my tubes tied and under anesthetic.

Other than the initial pain, no problems at all with it.
  • UsodaUsoda Posts: 918Registered Users
    What kind of pain are we talking about here?

Like, a really bad day of menstrual cramping?

Or, like pass-me-the-morphine pain?

I have excruciating periods, so if I can survive them, hopefully I can weather the insertion of an IUD with my nonparous cervix. Hopefully.
    Yes, the worst menstrual cramps ever.

Part of my pain was due to a tipped cervix, so it had to be... sorta "jimmied" for lack of a better word.
    I appreciate the heads up about the pain issue.

Did any of you face any resistance from your ob/gyn because you didn't have a child and were wanting the IUD? I guess I'm apprehensive I'll have to persuade my doctor or something.
    I didn't, though we sort of compromised, I was 26 when I had the IUD inserted. I had originally just wanted my tubes tied and be done with it - I've never wanted children. She talked me into waiting til I was 30, which I think was reasonable. It seem a lot women DO change their mind about having children when they meet the right partner.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You can get an IUD even if you've never had children, as others have already stated. However, you really should be in a long-term-mutually-monogomous relationship though, because the IUD increases your risk of PID (pelvic inflammatory disease...usually from STD's). IUD plus multiple partners is not a good idea.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    LOL, so I guess if your OB is resistant to the idea, just say you want your tubes tied. Then giving you an IUD won't seem so bad. ;)

I thought you couldn't get one until after having kids, but when I got mine after the baby, my OB said she does them for childless women all the time.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    You can get an IUD even if you've never had children, as others have already stated. However, you really should be in a long-term-mutually-monogomous relationship though, because the IUD increases your risk of PID (pelvic inflammatory disease...usually from STD's). IUD plus multiple partners is not a good idea.

No worries there, I've never been cool enough to engage in casual sex.

I'm the Prim Reaper :wink:
    Bailey422 wrote: »
    LOL, so I guess if your OB is resistant to the idea, just say you want your tubes tied. Then giving you an IUD won't seem so bad. ;)

This will be my back-up tactic if she shows hesitation :evil1:
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I don't have kids. I've had an IUD for about 2 1/2 years now, I love it. My gyno didn't have any issues with me getting one. The insertion was incredibly painful, but, you know, I lived. It didn't feel like a cramp to me, it was more of a sharp pain... it's hard to explain. But the worst of it only lasts a few seconds. Later that day and then the day after I had some pretty intense, (again) sharp-feeling cramps that didn't really go away with painkillers. It wasn't exactly pleasant, but it was bearable.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    If you do a search on here for Mirena, you will find a couple threads about it. The pain is excruciating and there are some bad side effects for anywhere from 3 to 8 months after you get it, but after that it's great.

I have it and I don't have kids. My doctor said she has just as many people without kids as with kids who get it. She actually encouraged it.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I have a friend who has no kids and she has an IUD. I think she had trouble finding a doctor who would give her one. She also said the insertion was painful, partly because the doctor nicked her cervix.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file