Tell me about Columbia, Missouri!

SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
I know we have a few Missourians on board.

I've lived half my life in Kansas, half in Wisconsin.

What's the cost of living and quality of life in central MO? Storms, tornadoes? Food? Farmers markets?
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)

Comments

• CGECGE Posts: 1,911Registered Users
    Do you mean Columbia?
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Columbia is a huge college town since it is the home of Missou and a couple of other smaller colleges so there is lots of nightlife but also a lot of cultural/artsy things to do. They have good hospitals and a diverse population. Apparently the cost of living is still fairly low but you would have to check realtor.com or something to see what houses are actually selling for now. Yes, Missouri is tornado country so you will still have to deal with them. As a native of Wisconsin, I think food in Missouri is mediocre but there are lots of microbrews and nice places to eat in Columbia. Columbia is probably more comparable to living in Madison than other other city I've had experience with in MO.

The good thing is it is right in the middle of Kansas City and St. Louis so you can travel either way a couple of hours and visit those cities. It is also pretty close (about 30 minutes or so) to the capitol Jefferson City which is a small but somewhat nice little city.
    316vq4y.jpg
    CGE wrote: »
    Do you mean Columbia?

I totally read that as Columbia. If you really meant Columbus, don't know anything about it! :laughing7:
    316vq4y.jpg
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    Yeah, I meant ColumbIA. I'm a bonehead, always getting names wrong and mixing states up and thinking that Alaska belongs to Canada and stuff. I've even managed to delude myself into thinking that the Great Lakes are oceans.

Moving there would put me closer to my parents, which is becoming more important. I can't say that I miss the Kansas summers though...the heat and humidity are hard on me. And the dogs have already exercised their veto power.
    formerly Castella
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I have no input, but whenever I read Missouri I hear Cartman saying Missour-ah!
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    To me, you will always be a Cheese Head.
    *sniff....sniff*
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
    It is significantly more hot and humid in MO than WI so if you don't miss that, it may not be a good move for you. I kind of like it and find myself cold in Wisconsin in the summers when I visit.
    316vq4y.jpg
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    Oh, I know it's hot and humid. I visited my parents in May and I was already screaming for the A/C to be cranked up. I very vividly recall those days when it never cooled off and I'd step outside and instantly be drenched in sweat and the tar melting in the street and the air being all hazy and stuff. Gah! The stuff of nightmares! Oh, and the locusts. And the wind.

But spring comes earlier, which is really nice, and the winters aren't as long and brutal.
    formerly Castella

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file