Sippy cup recs needed

medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
Lilly keeps choking on water when drinking from her Nuby sippy cups.

We have these cups:

Drinking1.jpg

and we have these:

31WJ0WK40YL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

Ironically, she doesn't choke when drinking out of our Medela bottles. But I'd like to skip bottles with her.

Anyone have recommendations? Thanks.

Comments

• fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was looking for an image of ours to post and I just discovered it is not BPA free. It was a Nuby brand straw sippy. I'll be getting rid of it now and following this thread.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I have one kleen canteen and a couple of think baby sippy cups.
    hello.world.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    webjockey wrote: »
    I have one kleen canteen and a couple of think baby sippy cups.

Do you have any links, Webbie?
    think baby trainer cup

26280_MID_r.jpg

kleen kanteen
    K12SIPPY-OB_TeachWell.jpg

while the kleen kanten is expensive (about $15) it has interchangable lids, holds 12 ounces and transitions well past toddlerhood. also with the sippy attachment we can use it on our adult-sized kanteen so we can all share with one.
    hello.world.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    will she do a straw cup? We use either the foogoo ones (which by the way there's a foogoo sippy) or the playtex ones (which are #5 plastic).
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    we had an interesting time with sippy cups in the beginning. i started out with the same avent cups that you posted medussa but she couldnt figure it out. in the end the only ones that she actually understood are those cheap take and toss sippy cups. now she uses those or a foogo sippy cup, which i love for trips outside of the house because it keeps her drink cold for hours.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    We used the Take'n'Toss ones. They are cheap and BPA free and they don't leak. But its just a snap on lid so we only used it for when Karan was small enough to not realize he could remove it.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I just got stainless steel Kleen Kanteen ones.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• puffinpuffin Posts: 205Registered Users
    We used the Take'n'Toss ones. They are cheap and BPA free and they don't leak.

Same here. In the beginning, these were also the only ones Caroline could actually tip to her mouth too.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I have a bunch of Take N Toss sippy cups. I never thought to use them because the top doesn't screw on. I was afraid the TnTs would pop open when Lilly threw them.

I think the problem with the sippy cups we've been using has to do with the water flow. It's too fast and the water winds up going down the wrong pipe. Poor thing.

I'm still getting the Kleen Kanteen for my son.

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    fuzzbucket wrote: »
    I was looking for an image of ours to post and I just discovered it is not BPA free. It was a Nuby brand straw sippy. I'll be getting rid of it now and following this thread.

What does this mean? I have the ones from Gerber the Green one on the left...
    sipsm_top_left.jpg
    new_90z_combined.jpg
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I bought the Born Free sippy training cup for Lucas - they are BPA free, and I think you can buy different sippy toppers as baby's ability to use the cups develops over time. They are a little bit pricey (I think I paid around $11 for the cup), but I'm happy with the purchase and Lucas *loves* his big boy cup.

Picture.aspx?width=190&height=190&id=2074187
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
    deedles wrote: »
    fuzzbucket wrote: »

What does this mean? I have the ones from Gerber the Green one on the left...
    sipsm_top_left.jpg
    new_90z_combined.jpg

from the bisephenolfree.org website
    Bisphenol-A is a hormone-disrupting chemical considered to be potentially harmful to human health and the environment. It has been known that scratched and worn polycarbonate feeding bottles will leach this chemical into liquids.

most plastic baby bottles/sippies contain this chemical unless otherwise noted on the packaging or if it has some number on the bottom (I think it's 5).

I looked at a few brands of sippies/bottles and I chose to use the glass bottles for regular bottles and the thinkbaby because of the chemical stuff, and it had the least reports on leakage. I also liked how the nozzle was shaped. Lex never had high-flow baby bottles so it was an easy transition.
    hello.world.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I got Harry a Sigg bottle today at Whole Foods. It has a slow flow sport top and Paddington Bear on it. :) Here is their website: http://www.sigg.ch/
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    medussa wrote: »
    I have a bunch of Take N Toss sippy cups. I never thought to use them because the top doesn't screw on. I was afraid the TnTs would pop open when Lilly threw them.

I think the problem with the sippy cups we've been using has to do with the water flow. It's too fast and the water winds up going down the wrong pipe. Poor thing.

I'm still getting the Kleen Kanteen for my son.

Thanks for the suggestions!

We always used the TnT cups, now use the TnT straw cups. I do like the Kleen Kanteen ones, been thinking of getting one for myself, too.
    :rambo:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file